Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 COL / OTT - Anderson traded for Brian Elliot Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest7742
( )

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  21:00:57  Reply with Quote
Avs fans are ecstatic Anderson plays 1 playoff round and his value seemingly sky rockets ... Elliot can't get any worse than he's been this season.... Anderson continues to play ottawa out of a high draft pick to raise his ufa value this plays out great for Avs fans we welcome the highly skilled player we'll be drafting likely a couple spots before the sens
Go to Top of Page

FutureKesler
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  22:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its obvious that Ottawa wins this trade. Brian Elliot sucks, period. Anderson is the only reason Colorado is still afloat and isn't the long term answer in Ottawa, but a helluva lot better than Elliot

Kesler is the TRUE Nucks Captain.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  07:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The NHL has 30 teams. You listed 11 teams that he would be #1 on or perhaps as good as the current starter. You disagree with almost everything I say but show he would not be the start in MORE than 50% of the NHL????

Who wins if and when Anderson leaves as a UFA in July??? This deal is only solid for Ottawa IF they sign Anderson for a reasonable contract.

Ultimately, I don't see Anderson as an upgrade on virtually any goalie Ottawa has had in the past 4 seasons.

First statement by me was"Disagree with almost all of your last post. But will let time decide this one as your will to argue it is to great." I think Anderson will prove to be in the top tier of NHL goalies long term. End of point.

I did go on to list the teams which were obvious for Anderson to sub for and then made a point of asking you which you thought Elliot could be a #1." Notice I numbered the questions to you. Your answer to those questions.

If your will to disagree is too great, thats fine. Just disagree. Either way I was expressing an opinion and asking a question.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  18:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem......

Yep, Brian Elliot sucks and Craig Anderson is a huge upgrade, right??? I wonder how many people would have the same opinions they had last year on this topic??
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  19:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, its so hard to know if Elliott would have this success with OTT, or if he needed a change in scenery to realize his potential. He's certainly shown he can play in STL though, so good for him.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  03:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anderson is not too shabby in Ottawa.

He gave confidence to a team that people thought would be battling for a lottery draft pick at season end, now they are second in their division and in place for playoffs.

Anderson has a lot of wins and is now stepping it up, this team has a young defensive squad and they were making full of mistakes especially at the beginning of the season.

Anderson is keeping them in games they had no business winning.

Anyway Elliot is doing great in St Louis not Colorado. So Ottawa won this trade hands down.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  05:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

He gave confidence to a team that people thought would be battling for a lottery draft pick at season end, now they are second in their division and in place for playoffs.

Anderson has a lot of wins and is now stepping it up, this team has a young defensive squad and they were making full of mistakes especially at the beginning of the season.

Anyway Elliot is doing great in St Louis not Colorado. So Ottawa won this trade hands down.

Agreed.

And further to that . . . please rate the DEFENCES of both St.Louis and Ottawa, look back to how these teams were both supposed to do this year, and then tell me again how much better Elliot is than Anderson?

I know I was one of the guys who said this was a "sideways" trade (nothing gained or lost really for Ottawa), but to me, it really looks like Anderson has truly made Ottawa a much better team. Their last game was a prime example of the Sens winning a game they had no business winning against my Leafs . . . Anderson absolutely stood on his head in the second period, and they somehow squeezed out a victory.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  09:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Because Elliott is playing in STL instead of COL, OTT wins this trade "hands down"? OTT might have gotten the best of COL as COL has nothing to show for the trade anymore, but in a player vs player comparison, I think both teams got a pretty even swap.

Anderson has clearly stepped into a starting role in OTT, and has been great in that role. Elliott has been tandeming in STL with Halak, and both goalies together are now one of the best tandems in hockey.

You make some interesting notes at the top about the success of Anderson:

"He gave confidence to a team that people thought would be battling for a lottery draft pick at season end, now they are second in their division and in place for playoffs. "

"Anderson has a lot of wins and is now stepping it up, this team has a young defensive squad and they were making full of mistakes especially at the beginning of the season."

"Anderson is keeping them in games they had no business winning."

Elliott does all the same things in STL. STL was projected to battle for 8th at best this season, but here they are neck and neck for their division (a division which has CHI and DET in it, imagine OTT playing 14 games a year against those two teams), and only 2 points out of the conference lead with 2 games in hand.

The STL defense is quite young as well - after Jackman and Polak, you've got Shattenkirk (22 yrs old), Pietrangelo (22), Coliacovo (28), and Kris Russell (24). This is not a steady mature blueline by any stretch. They are good though, and probably better than OTT's blueline, but young they are. I also don't see how Anderson was cleaning up this "pile of defensive mistakes early in the season", weren't OTT struggling out of the gate as well? I see a sub-900 sv% for Anderson thru October, that hardly tells me he was saving them from themselves.

Anderson and Elliott both keep their teams in games they have no business winning. Thats how mediocre teams succeed, and STL and OTT are both surpassing expectations this season.

I have no doubt that this trade needed to happen for Elliott, he had clearly worn out his welcome in OTT when the deal was done, and seemed to have no future there - OTT got an instant upgrade in Anderson, and moved forward. Teams will often give up on goalies too early (see Kiprusoff, your own Anderson, Thomas, Rask all come to mind), and I think OTT gave up too soon on Elliott, although time will tell. He is a very good goalie.

Edited by - nuxfan on 01/19/2012 09:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  09:25:03  Reply with Quote
who honestly thinks elliott can keep up this play... the guy himself doesn't even believe. he just signed a 2 yr contract for 3.6 mil thats 1.8 million a season.... if he thought he could play this well the rest of the season he would have held out and got at least 3.6 million a season as a starter in the offseason
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  13:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure guest, because NHL teams just toss $4 million contracts around like they are water. Give your head a shake. There are only 16 goalies in the entire NHL that make $3.6 million/season or more. Not all starters make that kind of money.

To the point at hand, I wouldn't disagree that OTT wins this trade when looking at OTT vs COL. OTT still has their player and signed him to a very good contract. Win! My point was more towards all those people who justified the OTT win by making statements along the lines of Brian Elliot sucks and/or Anderson is way better than Elliot.

Explain to me how Brian Elliot is playing better than Jaro Halak this season (as statistically better than last season) with virtually the same defensive group in front of him?? Although it's a highly objective statement, I highly doubt that OTT is bette off with Anderson over Elliot.

The players are similar, as some orginally eluded to. Those who say that Anderson is a step up on Elliot are simply dillusion in their bais.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  05:52:33  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Sure guest, because NHL teams just toss $4 million contracts around like they are water. Give your head a shake. There are only 16 goalies in the entire NHL that make $3.6 million/season or more. Not all starters make that kind of money.

To the point at hand, I wouldn't disagree that OTT wins this trade when looking at OTT vs COL. OTT still has their player and signed him to a very good contract. Win! My point was more towards all those people who justified the OTT win by making statements along the lines of Brian Elliot sucks and/or Anderson is way better than Elliot.

Explain to me how Brian Elliot is playing better than Jaro Halak this season (as statistically better than last season) with virtually the same defensive group in front of him?? Although it's a highly objective statement, I highly doubt that OTT is bette off with Anderson over Elliot.

The players are similar, as some orginally eluded to. Those who say that Anderson is a step up on Elliot are simply dillusion in their bais.

BEANS... we all know you think very highly of yourself and are on the cusp of being a professional sports analyst. with that being said this is an open thread where people are entitled to their opinions so how about you state yours and stfu and stop degrading people every chance you get
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  05:55:00  Reply with Quote
and if i was a goalie in the nhl 2nd in SV% GAA and shutouts i think i should be earning at least as much as the top 16 goalies in the league
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  09:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5744

and if i was a goalie in the nhl 2nd in SV% GAA and shutouts i think i should be earning at least as much as the top 16 goalies in the league

sure, he's done that for 16 games this year. If he can show that he's capable of doing that year in and year out for several years in the regular season and playoffs, then $4M+ contracts will become the norm for Elliott. Until that time, he's just a currently hot goalie.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Guest5744

sure, he's done that for 16 games this year. If he can show that he's capable of doing that year in and year out for several years in the regular season and playoffs, then $4M+ contracts will become the norm for Elliott. Until that time, he's just a currently hot goalie.

Very well said nuxfan. Guest, you make it seem as though he's deserving of top 15-16 money when he hasn't proven anything over the long haul! It'd be like signing a free agent out of Finland, having him put a string of 3 shutouts in his first 5 games together, then throwing 6 mill a year at him assuming he'll continue that pace. Elliott and his agent are not morons!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly and very quickly to mr Guest who doesn't like my comments. If this is an open site where people can openly post post their opinions, why can't I do the same thing??? By the way, thanks for recognizing my skills. You are 100% correct, I am that good!!!

To Alex, I agree with your point completely. It's very applicable to the situation in STL specifically. Jaro Halak played less than 100 games before he signed his 4 yr, $3.5 million contract. Was it worth it?? I would say no considering he is now sharing the net with a guy making 1/2 the money he is making. Furthermore, guys at a similar age and the same or better pedigree (Howard, Crawford, Pavlec, Vokoun, Raask) have signed contract around the same time for less money.

I know that STL likely would have not signed Halak if they offered him less. Some other meatball GM would have offered him the $3.5 he got so they did have to pay to get him, however, is he worth it??

A goalie of less than 200 games of a career is a risk to sign to a high dollar value contract. There is a history of goalies getting huge cheddar without a lot of experience. Huet, Carey, Chechmanek all come to mind without much thought. I am sure we could list many more.

Elliot got the contract he deserved. In 2 yrs if he is still a top tier goalie, he will get paid like a top tier goalie.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page