Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Season Dissapointments Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  17:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The last poll regarding this topic was made soo long ago, soo it seams fitting that I post one close to the end of the year now.

My picks: Just to give you the skinny on these failures.

Johnathon Cheechoo-22 g, 24 a. These from a 56 goal scorer, 93 point player and last year's Rocket Richard winner.

Martin Gerber- 12 wins and 24 starts. Gerber was 38 and 14 last year, and literally brought Carolina to the playoffs. His illness during the playoffs forced the Canes to go with rookie Ward. Now Ottawa pays 3.7 million dollars for a backup.

Alex Kovalev- What seemed like a brake-out year turned into a brake one for Kovalev. Playing on a Canadians team who have no fire power, Kovalev's poor performance may cost the Habs when it comes to the playoff picture.

Joffery Lupul-Accuired in the Pronger deal, Lupul, supposedly a great young player, has been rather quiet and uneffective. Pronger has played well when he is in Anaheim's lineup, and only time will tell who the true winner and loser of the deal is.

Mike Modano-After losing the captain "C", modano has had a horrible year.He only has 25 points, but granted has only played 39 games.

Sergei Samsonov-Another large part of Edmonton's run, Samsonov as been awful this year and a shade of the playe he once was. After scoring 51 points last year with the job shared between Edmonton and Boston, Samsonov has been ice cold this year, a large reason why the Canadians waived him.

Kevin Lowe- Where to start. After building a team one win away from a Cup, he literally destroyed The City of Champions. Unless the Oilers magically make the playoffs, Lowe is in some hot water.

Philadelphia Flyers-A team that was in fifth last year is in dead last now. Only thing to do now is build for the future.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!

Choices:

Johnathon Cheechoo(SJS)
Martin Gerber(OTT)
Alex Kovalev(MTL)
Joffery Lupul(EDM)
Mike Modano(DAL)
Sergei Samsonov(MTL)
Kevin Lowe
Philadelphia Flyers

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 03/02/2007 05:46:26

Guest4248
( )

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  18:44:27  Reply with Quote
what happened to sergei samsonov?????????

he guided the oilers to the finals last year and he has like 25 pts this year??? hes awful
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  04:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Samsonov is a great choice to and will be added.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  05:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Sens fan, I have to go with Gerber....did he catch the 12-month Flu or something?

Cheechoo is a close second in my books...followed by Modano

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  08:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kovalev had 66 points in 69 games last year and now he has 39 points in 59 games so thats a big difference, but Cheechoo going from a 50 goal scorer to maybe i said maybe a 30 goal scorer is a big difference.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got Cheechoo and Lupul's first names all wrong... Anyways...

I would have said Philly if their drop was surprising, but it truthfully was not. I think it's Gerber, but I won't be too hard on him for the same reason that I think people are judging Cheechoo unfairly.

In 2003-04, Gerber posted a record of 11-12-4 with the Ducks, and the year before he went 6-11-3 with them. Those were all the games he'd played in the NHL. Then he went to Carolina and went 38-14-6. What? All of a sudden Gerber is an elite NHL goalie? Wrong. He had one good season and that's going to backfire because anytime he doesn't hit 38 wins in a season, he's going to hear it from the media. Now, he's 12-9-2, which could be MUCH worse. Sure it's no 38 wins, but at least it's a winning record, something I can't say about Nabokov. HE is my biggest disappointment.

In 2003-04, Cheechoo scored 28 goals, only to see Thornton arrive the next season and have his goal production double to win the Rocket Richard trophy. Other than these two seasons, he'd only scored 9 other goals in his career. Now, in a season where he's had leg problems and has had to miss a half dozen games, he only has 22 goals. Disappointment? Well, maybe a little considering he's still playing with Thornton but people put too high expectations on him at the start of the season. One 56-goal season does not mean he will hit that for the rest of his career. In my mind, Cheechoo is a 30-40 goal scorer and last year was a "fluke" that he got so many goals. Not that he didn't deserve it or work for it, or even lack the skill, but we all have our moments, and his lasted about 60 games from when Thornton arrived. Were fans expecting Gretzky to score 90 goals every year after he scored 92? I don't think so.

Like I said earlier, my biggest disappointment is Evgeni Nabokov. After 3 30+ win seasons in the prior 4 years, Nabokov is a combined 30-34-8 in the last two seasons. For a Calder trophy winner and a goalie that had proven that he was to be an elite goalie in the NHL for years to come, he has certainly fizzled out quite quickly. He suckered SJ into giving him a 5-year $25 million contract but now he needs to smarten up or be dealt.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/02/2007 11:09:27
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Kovalev....39 points?? He's supposed to be better than that! Maybe that's why Montreal has been sucking lately. That and Huet's injury. I mean, Koivu can't carry the team by himself...
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  19:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man the Philly flyers no doubt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: