Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Season Surprises Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  07:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
This is the opposite of my previous post. Here are players that have exceeded their expectations.

The Skinny;

Martin Havlat-What a season for Havlat. Traded in the offseason from Ottawa, Havlat leads his team by 50 points and has played about 20 games less then the rest of his team.at one point, he lead the league in points which leads me to wonder if he would be among the lead leaders had he not been injured.

Jordan Staal-Originally called up for 10 games, Staal has been a mainstay on the Penguins and an integral part of their team. He currently leads the league in shorthanded goals and shooting percentage. Scary thing here is he is only 18.

Martin St.Louis-After a bysmal yaer last year, St.Louis has played like one of the premier players in the league. After only 61 points last year, St.Louis has turned it on, with 88 points,leading his team. He is second in points and goals this year, behind only Crosby(97points)and Lecavalier(42goals).

Andrew Raycroft-Going 8-19 last year was not something the former Calder Trophy winner had in mind. since the stellar play of Tim Thomas and Hannu Toivenen, Raycroft was not needed and shiped to Toronto. With their starting job, Raycroft has 28-20, 9th in the league in wins and with 20 more wins then his last year.

Pittsburgh Penguins- Most Improved Team award goes to the Pittsburgh Penguins. After finishing in the cellar, the Penguins have soared and have 5th place in the league to show for it. With young guns Crosby,Staal,Malkin, Fleury and soon Letang, tis team will be great for years to come.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!

Choices:

Martin Havlat(CHI)
Jordan Staal(PIT)
Martin St.Louis(TBL)
Andrew Raycroft(TOR)
Pittsburgh Penguins

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  08:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question and i say the pens, people though they wouldn't even make the playoffs and now there 4th in the eastern conference.

They have over 200 goals and now they just got Roberts and Larague that means there going for the cup. It's a big suprise from not even making the playoffs to going to win the Stanley cup but too bad for them the Sabres will win the stanley cup!!!!!!

Go Sabres Go!!!!

Edited by - PainTrain on 03/02/2007 08:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Guest4139
( )

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  09:17:40  Reply with Quote
Raycroft has more wins this year, but he's also playing more. I think the biggest suprise is the stellar rookie class again. Malkin, Kopitar, Wolski, Stastny, Penner, Staal....
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Stastny and Kopitar have been big surprises, pleasant ones for the league.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

This is the opposite of my previous post. Here are players that have exceeded their expectations.

The Skinny;
Jordan Staal-Originally called up for 10 games, Staal has been a mainstay on the Penguins and an integral part of their team. He currently leads the league in shorthanded goals and shooting percentage. Scary thing here is he is only 18.

Technicality, but Staal wasn't called up, he started the year on the team. Unlike most rookies though, he wasn't sent down before the "I've played 10 games now you gotta pay me" mark

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for the 'Burgh

And they're in 5th in the East....although to Leaf's fans, there is no Western Conference!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  12:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Penguins aren't a surprise, c'mon with Crosby and Malkin and Staal and Fleury you'd expect them to be doing well. Yeah they sucked last year but they didn't have all their current good players. Plus you'd think they'd try to improve and get better after a bad year...and that's just what they did. Now if the Flyers suddenly jumped to 4th in the East with their roster of not-so-great players, that would be a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

framer87
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  16:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

The Penguins aren't a surprise, c'mon with Crosby and Malkin and Staal and Fleury you'd expect them to be doing well. Yeah they sucked last year but they didn't have all their current good players. Plus you'd think they'd try to improve and get better after a bad year...and that's just what they did. Now if the Flyers suddenly jumped to 4th in the East with their roster of not-so-great players, that would be a surprise.

Thay wouldn't be a surprise, that would be a "Miracle"

Go pens
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  17:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in agreement with Babla.. I'd cast my vote for Stastny (top 40 !!)

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by framer87

Thay wouldn't be a surprise, that would be a "Miracle"

Haha good one framer

Btw I voted for Havlat (forgot to say that earlier)
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  19:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew the Pens would do good

i voted Jordan Staal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic