Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Detroit vs. San Jose Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  04:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think will win?

Choices:

Detroit
San Jose

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  06:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit in 6
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  08:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to this series, its a good "battle of the titans" type series. DET and SJ have been top-3 teams in the conference for several years, and it should be a titanic battle.

I'm hoping that they both wear each other down enough that VAN can quickly roll over the survivor in the conference finals.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  08:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toughest 2nd rounder to pick for me. I have to ponder it more.

Wings looked great against Phoenix, but Bryzgalov played like crap, and Phoenix had no offense to speak of so that spelled the end for them right there. On the other hand, I thought LA played very well considering their injuries, and were a much tougher test for the Sharks.

That being said, Detroit is the most experienced team in this playoffs, and knows how to bring it to a new level quickly. If Zetterberg comes back, and Howard continues to play ok . . . it could be lights out for San Jose. And, I don't want to keep underestimating Detroit's ability to win with a bunch of grizzled veterans. But the Sharks are looking good, and are a very steady, tough team to beat.

Hmmm. Must think more on it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Nucks07
Top Prospect

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on when Zetterberg might be back??
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit in 6 they have a good mix of vets and youth. SJ has looked great so far but Detroit just knows haw to play in the post season. Not to mention the break they just had to rest up their older players.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  10:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know last yr can be deemed insignificant, but is everybody forgetting the way the Sharks tossed around the Wings in 5 games last yr? Might I add that was with a healthy Zetterberg.

It will be a solid series with the Sharks taking it in game 6

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharks in 7.

This is easy. Detroit is just too old!

Sorry Beans, couldn't resist
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit in 5. Zetterberg and Franzen playing and San Jose looked less than impressive in the first round while Detroit looked the complete opposite.

Of course the first round means nothing at this point, but if I was a betting man I would have a serious issue with going against Detroit right now.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  12:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Open Ice what series did you watch with SJ? They fired 52 shots on goal when they lost to LA 4-1 & that was all Quick standing on his head...

Now if you wanna say Niemi looked Pedestrian sure, but SJ's fwds controlled the series against LA & Zetterberg if he does return will be no healthier then 60%. You don't recover from a Sprained MCL over a one month period. There's truly no time line for a full recovery as the ligaments have a mind of their own

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  13:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with all respect to SJ, Detroit is a far superior side to LA. I don't think we'll see 52-shot games and offensive domination the same way we did in round 1.

DET showed that they're prepared to be completely different in the playoffs, they tore apart a pretty good PHX team and made Bryzgalov look absolutely average. I say watch out SJ.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  02:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going the distance, I hope in SJ's favor but...........
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan....Detroit is def a better team than LA, overall, but defensively this year, LA was the better team.

Less goals against
Less shots against
Better PK

Not saying we'll see another 52 shot night for SJ, but with questionable goaltending in Det, we could be in for a few higher scoring games than we're likely gonna see in the Van / Nash series.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be the best series of the playoffs. I also believe these two teams will beat down each other meaning Vancouver may have an easier road to the finals.

There are ton of very interesting stories within this series, more so than any other save BOS/PHI. These teams have played each other in the playoffs in the past with Detroit winning most or all of those series. This is the student vs the teacher considering the coaches. This is age against not so old. This is the can SJ get the monkey off their back. There are storyline's o'plenty.

I am going with Detroit in a slugfest. Reason being is LA made SJ look very beatable at times. Not only did LA win 2 of the games, but I believe 2 other games SJ needed to come from behind to win and there were a few OT games as well. I will tell you right now if Detroit gets a 3 goal lead at any time, that game is over. You will not see the kind of collapse that LA gave to SJ.

Detroit, 6 or 7, in a slugfest (not a landslide).
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Alex, in fairness, its not like Niemi was shutting the door with regularity vs LA either - and I see LA as an offensively inferior team to DET. I see questionable goaltending at both ends of the rink in that series, we'll see which goalie actually steps up.

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/29/2011 09:23:21
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, you are forgetting SJ in 5 last yr!

This series could go either way, but if we are talking about inferior opponents PHX is & was much less dynamic & scary then the kings. Lets be real, had the Kings had Kopitar in the line up I am sure many would of argued the Kings potentially rolling by the Sharks. Nobody can claim that if they picked Phx in the first rd it was for no other reason then the belief Bryzgalov could steal the series.

Goaltending between Bryz & Quick = Draw normally & in this yrs playoffs Quick has the edge & The Kings Fwds & D much more balanced then Phx.

As far as the series at hand without a healthy Zetterberg I have a hard time believing Detroit can outscore SJ & both of these teams are solid defensively when their goalies show up. Regardless, of the outcome this will be an up & down dynamic series.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheelchair sales went through the roof in San Jose recently when Detroit found out they were playing the Sharks.

Limo drivers are packing adult diapers and just for men hair dye just in case

I'm here all night folks!

Seriously though, I'm not going to go on and on about how Detroit is too old, they don't have a fire in their belly, they are already coming into the series injured, and that they haven't faced a real NHL offence yet. Those themes have been done to death.

No, I think Detroit will lose because the Sharks are playing really well; they know how to beat this Detroit team, having done last year; and . . . well, I just have this feeling that Detroit is too old, they will all get injured, and their sophomore goalie will suck.

oops.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  13:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's betting time???

Here's is the offer to you, Mr. Slozo.

If Detroit wins, I remove the Leafs logo immediately and you will place the Oilers Logo up for the time period after the playoffs up to and including July 31st.

If San Jose win, I will keep the Leafs logo up not only through the playoffs, but up to and including July 31st.

Bet??
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey beans - speaking of bet, don't you owe me a love-in posting regarding a highly regarded Tanner Glass?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  18:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

hey beans - speaking of bet, don't you owe me a love-in posting regarding a highly regarded Tanner Glass?

I do, but I did not realize the play you wished for me to so highly regard until now. Forgive me. Please give me a few days to do justice to my bet payment.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  09:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
flip a quarter on this one
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - you still up for that bet: I take San Jose, you take Detroit?

We both know the Sharks took game 1 already, so I leave you the right to lay off it if you like. But I like the terms, sounds good to me.

Just wish it included me taking off this avatar I have now, je ne veux plus voir ce maudit Habs logo, merde!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no reason to back out of the bet after a game one lose. The only concern I have is the 46 shots that Howard faced but rest assured that Babcock will make changes the SJ will not have that shot total again. If they do, I am done.

The bet is on.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  05:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Beans . . . I can only assume you agreed to still go ahead with the bet and terms before the Sharks beat Detroit again

Certainly far from being in the bag though, as Detroit could easily come back and win both at home, for sure. But I am counting on the Sharks taking one of those games . . .

. . . man, it's gonna be a long, hot summer!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  08:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be lying if I said I was not a little concerned. I would have less concern if Detroit played poorly and lost. However, they played 2 pretty decent games and lost. They lost the first on a brilliant goal that tie the game and a lucky deflection to lose the game in OT. In the 2nd game, they were outplayed in the 1st period but played pretty well through the 2nd and 3rd but it was too little-too late.

We will see how things roll in the Motor City. I would not be surprise to see the series tied at 2 going back to San Jose. I would also not be shocked to see a split. I would be completely shocked if San Jose sweeps.

Slozo, I do hope it's a long, hot summer. That will mean I will be on the golf course rather than on here looking at that Maple Leaf!! I have also become so accustomed to losing these bets that I have built a contraption out of tape and cardboard. This devise, known as the 'Deslozonator" can be flipped over your computer screen to hide the left hand 2", therefore rendering all avatars invisible.

I will be selling these for $9.95 plus S+H. Call within 10 minutes and get your 2nd Deslozonator for free!! (Also works on Sashis34's but not proven to reduce Dukejacking's)
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  09:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am worried, having picked DET in most pools to go to the conference finals. There have been no blowouts and the games are close, but SJ is definitely outplaying DET at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loving it and hoping it keeps going like this, though more goals would help my pools immensely. I have 6 Sharks in one (out of 12 players) and 8 in another out of 10!!! Been picking them for years with no good results and when the price went so high on Canucks, i went with the Sharks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page