Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Washington vs. Tampa Bay Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  04:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think will win?

Choices:

Washington
Tampa Bay

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  06:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Washington in 5
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  07:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's tough to pick TB here . . . but they do have one thing going for them: They are on a huge roll, they actually have key guys with more experience than Washington, and their goalie (Roloson) is hot.

That being said, Washington just seems to have that mental edge they didn't have in past years, and they now win those squeakers, whereas before they seemed to need their offense rolling at full tilt. Mike Green is back and playing well, and Semin showed up this year so far.

Washington in 6 or 7 . . . I am really looking forward to this one, and if the Lightning defence holds up, it could be a long, hard-fought series.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  07:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is it that people vote for TB as a favorite thus far in this series?

Washington is going to steam roll these guys! TB struggled to beat the Pens & now they are suppose to beat a high powered Caps team that is now defensively responsible.

Caps in 5

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  08:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WSH is different this year, they look like they're for real. They seem to have all of their bits clicking right now, and I think they'll hold off TB. As hot as Roloson is right now, I've seen him go all over the place all year long, so I don't think it will last.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Washington in 6 Rolie the goalie will win a couple for them.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburgh had next to nothing in the way of offense with Crosby and Malkin out. Washington will prove to be far too much for the TBay D and should take care of them in 6, maybe even 5.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While i voted for Washington, i'm not all that confident with that pick & i'm not sure yet who i'm voting for in Beans contest.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Caps in round 1. The Rangers were in pretty well every game, the series was much closer than the final 4-1 margin indicates. In game #1, the Rangers were winning with under 2 minutes to go in the 3rd & the game went into OT. Game 4, the Rangers dominated for 2 periods & took a 3-0 lead into the 3rd period. The Caps did manage to storm back, but again it took OT to decide the game. And finally game #5 was very close & could of went either way.

I'm still not sold on their goaltending. While Neuvirth's stats look impressive, the truth is the Rangers really didn't test him that much. That shouldn't be the story against St.Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Gagne, Malone & company. Nicklas Backstrom is also going to have to be better. He was invisible for the majority of the opening round.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2712
( )

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:30:06  Reply with Quote
the Rangers play a better defensive style of game then the Bolts do. possibly the best shot blockers in the league.
and weren't TBay the only playoff team in the East with a negative GF/GA differential at the end of the regular season?
i don't see Washington struggling to score as much as they did against NYR. Caps in 5 or 6.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  14:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Capitals will bounce back after the loss and win the series.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  14:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2712

the Rangers play a better defensive style of game then the Bolts do. possibly the best shot blockers in the league.
and weren't TBay the only playoff team in the East with a negative GF/GA differential at the end of the regular season?
i don't see Washington struggling to score as much as they did against NYR. Caps in 5 or 6.

Tampa were +7 in goal differential, which was tied with Montreal for the lowest in the Eastern Conference. In the West, Anaheim was +4 & Phoenix +5.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2726
( )

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  18:35:01  Reply with Quote
Well looks like another promising season is down the tubes for the Capitals. I think Boudreau is as good as gone if the Caps can't pull off the amazing comback.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  19:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boudreau seems insistant on his game plan and incapable of changing it mid game, Ovetchkin at the end of this game seem to give up any chance the caps had by trying to go through everyone himself and loseing the puck not once but twice right on the offensive zone blueline, and on the other hand Boucher has made many in game changes and has seem to really be in control of his team proof is that he is rolling his lines and seems to have confidence in everyone out there

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Guest7931
( )

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  20:02:16  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mario 66

Washington is going to steam roll these guys! TB struggled to beat the Pens & now they are suppose to beat a high powered Caps team that is now defensively responsible.

Caps in 5

Why do people make predictions like this? Nothing in sports is a certainty, especially playoff hockey. Teams are so close, and a hot goalie, hot or cold power play, key injury, etc. means that anyone can win a game or series. I can admit to making a prediction (or two), but not with the conviction displayed all too frequently by hockey fans on this site. I'm not saying that Tampa is steamrolling over the Caps in this series, but I'm not surprised to see them up 3-0. And while it may appear to be a contradiction of this opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if it were 3-0 the other way. That's hockey, and games (and series) can go either way, especially with two evenly matched teams!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  21:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7931

quote:
Originally posted by Mario 66

Caps in 5

Why do people make predictions like this? Nothing in sports is a certainty, especially playoff hockey. Teams are so close, and a hot goalie, hot or cold power play, key injury, etc. means that anyone can win a game or series. I can admit to making a prediction (or two), but not with the conviction displayed all too frequently by hockey fans on this site. I'm not saying that Tampa is steamrolling over the Caps in this series, but I'm not surprised to see them up 3-0. And while it may appear to be a contradiction of this opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if it were 3-0 the other way. That's hockey, and games (and series) can go either way, especially with two evenly matched teams!

Agreed espcially with all the parity in the league these days really any team that makes the postseason has a legit shot,, look at montreal last season,,, predictions must be made in good fun and as you said with no real certainty because anything can happen

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  03:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to put a fork in Washington, done like dinner.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  04:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree - done like last year's turkey dinner.

I really don't see a comeback against the Lightning, the way they are playing . . . and they have really strong leadership on the ice with St. Louis and Lecavalier, and Rolly the goalie is hot right now.

I am so surprised at the poor play of everyone on Washington save for Ovechkin, who seems to be the only guy with heart on that whole team. On the other hand, the Lightning across the board have a fire in their belly, and play every shift with urgency and a huge amount of desire to win every battle. Washington has just never ever (save for Ovechkin, he brings it every night, scoring or not) replied with the same "compete" level.

But what a shocker if this is over in 4 . . . heads are going to roll. Rolli will make heads roll, lol . . . ahhh, I kill me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  04:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
. . . . aaaaand we're done.

One of the most shocking sweeps in some time for me. Really. Upset the Caps, sure - I can see that, but to predict that this now somewhat battle-tested, talented Caps lin-up would totally fall apart like this is very, very surprising.

I say this puts Semin on the trading block. Green too. Boudreau out for sure, that fat turkey is roasted. Ovie stays with Backstrom, and the GM will have to search high and low for some real defencemen (the defensive kind), and some tougher, grittier guys to complement Ovechkin, as opposed to having your #1 top skilled player being the only one out there banging and crashing and digging hard in the corners.

Or do they go the way of Detroit back in the day and stay the course? I doubt it, but it is possible.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2712
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  05:23:39  Reply with Quote
wow.....total shocker. it's like we all blinked and the series was over. good thing i didn't put too much stock into them for my pool.
but at the same time, give tons of credit to the Bolts. after a tough grinding series against the Pens, they showed no signs of fatigue here. now they get some well earned rest.

btw, what the heck happened to Backstrom this year???
Go to Top of Page

Guest7931
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  08:24:12  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2712

wow.....total shocker. it's like we all blinked and the series was over. good thing i didn't put too much stock into them for my pool.
but at the same time, give tons of credit to the Bolts. after a tough grinding series against the Pens, they showed no signs of fatigue here. now they get some well earned rest.

btw, what the heck happened to Backstrom this year???

One thing about rest is that if you change one letter, it becomes rust. Just ask the Red Wings about that. After sweeping their first round opponents, they appear to be in big trouble in round two!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  09:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, I agree, this one is one of the more shocking results in recent memory. The only one that will come close, if it happens, will be the SJ sweep of DET that looks pretty likely right now.

I think WSH will do some housecleaning, but I do think that Green will stay. He's a pretty one-dimensional defensman for sure, but its a dimension that a team needs. He had some injury issues this year, but if he can get back to the prior year's form of 70+ points, he's well worth his 5.25M cap hit. He's also only 25 years old, so he has some time to pull the defensive game together as well.

However, I agree that Semin is likely gone, and they go with the powerhouse (and expensive) tandem of Backstrom/OV. Mainly because Backstrom would be difficult to move with that contract, and OV is the cornerstone of the organization and is not going anywhere, ever.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  11:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, total surprise here as far as the sweep goes. I def wouldn't have predicted that.

As for the Caps going forward, (and Beans is gonna shake his head at this), i heard an opinion from a "hockey mind/personality" on the radio saying he didn't think Boudreau would be fired and that they'd give him one last chance? I don't see it myself, but who knows? The Caps did have a lot of injury issues (aside from those mentioned, i heard that Mike Knuble was playing with pins in his hand from a broken bone or two?).

Semin, on a one year extension, will be an interesting commodity. Wonder what they can get for him and it may depend on that new team being able to sign him for another few years?

The D going forward with Carlson and Alzner looks good. I think they keep Green as well. His defensive game improved this year (from what i read) and unfortunately for him and the Caps, it was injuries that affected him the most.

One thing no one has mentioned is goaltending! How long do you stick with these guys they have before making a move? I lump them in with Philly (who look to be sharing tee times with them soon) as teams who made the playoffs who will be looking to upgrade their goalie position. I might even add TBay in there depending on what Roloson decides to do?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WSH have one of the best young tandems in the NHL (Neuvirth and Varlamov). Varlamov seems to have a hard time staying healthy, but Neuvirth has shown he is worth building around. He had a great regular season, and played well vs NYR, and in the end TB was too much offensive firepower for him (and the entire WSH team) to handle. I could see WSH going out and getting a reliable backup for Neuvirth, but the starting job is his to lose next year I think.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2712
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:42:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
However, I agree that Semin is likely gone, and they go with the powerhouse (and expensive) tandem of Backstrom/OV. Mainly because Backstrom would be difficult to move with that contract, and OV is the cornerstone of the organization and is not going anywhere, ever.

didn't Semin sign a 1-yr extension this year for something like $6M? not sure anyone would want him at that price. even if it is just for one year.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  14:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

WSH have one of the best young tandems in the NHL (Neuvirth and Varlamov). Varlamov seems to have a hard time staying healthy, but Neuvirth has shown he is worth building around. He had a great regular season, and played well vs NYR, and in the end TB was too much offensive firepower for him (and the entire WSH team) to handle. I could see WSH going out and getting a reliable backup for Neuvirth, but the starting job is his to lose next year I think.

Not to mention Holtby i am posistive this kid who is 19 0r 20 i do believe will be one of the top goalies in the league one day. I figure the caps will try and get a return on Varlamov and bring up Holtby has proven he has at least what it takes to back up Neuvirth .

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to admit, i don't see Washington play very often, nor did i see a ton from this series, but when you lose 4 straight and give up 16 goals in those 4 games, you need to have better goaltending! Sure the defense will take some of the blame, but your goalie still has to be better!

Maybe these young guys will step up? But if they go into next spring with these guys and one of them hasn't claimed the #1 job and "run with it", they're in the same boat as they were this past couple weeks!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd forgotten about Holtby as well....WSH is rich in goaltending prospects.

Alex, I agree that the goaltending had to be better - but laying the blame on your 23 year old 1st year goalie for losing in the second round of the playoffs is tough. WSH has not had much luck with backups this year, which is why I think they'll go looking for a more reliable veteran one this year to backup Neuvirth. Holtby will be waiting in the wings in 1-2 years.

My main assertion was that WSH and PHI are not in the same boat goaltending wise - AFAIK PHI does not have anything on the farm that is ready to step up and are losing because their 3 spare parts can't hold it together. WSH just suffered from youngness IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Have to admit, i don't see Washington play very often, nor did i see a ton from this series, but when you lose 4 straight and give up 16 goals in those 4 games, you need to have better goaltending! Sure the defense will take some of the blame, but your goalie still has to be better!

Maybe these young guys will step up? But if they go into next spring with these guys and one of them hasn't claimed the #1 job and "run with it", they're in the same boat as they were this past couple weeks!

Neuvirth didn't do bad. He didn't do great either. It was up to the Caps players to win and they got the same consistent play from their goalie. Neuvirth wasn't going to steal or lose any games, the Caps had an opportunity but their offense failed them, so did their newly reformed defense

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  21:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirby

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Neuvirth didn't do bad. He didn't do great either. It was up to the Caps players to win and they got the same consistent play from their goalie. Neuvirth wasn't going to steal or lose any games, the Caps had an opportunity but their offense failed them, so did their newly reformed defense

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky

this is about what i was going to say,, Neuvirth did his job and gave the caps a chance to win if i were him i would obviously look to improve but not be ashamed one bit of the playoffs i had

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  02:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is this a shock to everyone? I had them pegged to go out 2nd round in my office pool.
Last 4 yrs:
1st round
2nd round
1st round
and this yr 2nd round

Washington is made up of 2 things, individuals and too many euro's. Say what you will, but when the chips are down, the "no hit, no effort" style of hockey just doesn't cut it. All of Washington's money is into european players. Not tthat there is anything wrong with that, but you have to back it up with good old North American grit, which they simply don't have. Backstrom and Semin were, as usual, invisible. OV is trying to do it all, and as their premium player, shouldn't be. 2nd and 3rd lines should be grinding it out, leaving it wide open for the OV's of the league. Add in the offence only blueline and it was destined to fail.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  04:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree on some points there, TOxxik.

Backstrom looked awesome in past playoffs. Yes, he was absolutely invisible this playoffs, but for him, that's a first.

Mike Green is not a Euro, and he has consistently and utterly underperformed in the playoffs.

I do agree with the grit comment, but it certainly doesn't have to be North American grit, frankly. There are plenty of gritty defencemen of european lineage that could have helped them out in this regard. and already added to the lineup was Arnott, a very experienced and physical center that was supposed to add grit - which I didn't see much of. And, as you pointed out (and as we generally all agree), the MONSTER performing and by far grittiest player is Mr. Ovechkin, a european. Only top ten point getter in the top ten in hits as well, for many years now, and the only player consistently showing the grit and heart one needs in the playoffs.

So, looking at those facts sir, your "euros lack grit" comment looks a bit . . . myopic.

Look it up.

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  05:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Slozo, fair comment, but, point to another example other than the Caps? I did say OV was a force and never said Green was a Euro. How about the Sedins? And please, don't bring in Forsberg as that shipped a long time ago. In this day and age of NHL crash n' bang hockey, there's few and far between. And, when I said grit, it was as a whole, not just on D.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 05/06/2011 05:20:41
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  07:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toxxik - While the Sedin's don't play a hard hitting game (nor will they), the Canucks are a good example of a team with plently of Euro-grit. Edler, Ehrhoff, and Salo (when healthy) have been super on the backend, both hit-wise and scoring-wise - they are all punishing hitters. Hansen (Danish) has been a solid 3rd line energy player all year and regularly dishes out hard hits, and even Samuelsson is not afraid to get dirty.

Euro players are fine, so long as you pick the right ones .

Slozo - I'm pretty sure that Green's playoff woes have been a result of his second half injury woes. He pretty much missed the last 4 weeks of the regular season with a variety of things, including a concussion, and he probably hasn't been 100% this whole post-season.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  09:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been a Mike Green fan really but i give him a pass this season due to the injuries mentioned!

Funny though, had this gone 7 it wouldn't seem 1/2 as bad, but a sweep???

BTW, i keep hearing and reading things saying that Boudreau won't be canned? We shall see.....
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, George McPhee came out and said he'd be back next year, and if the GM says that publically, its probably going to happen. I can't see how they can really - 1 bad playoff year, sure give him another shot, but now 2 straight years out against teams they should have beat, thats hard to overlook.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  13:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all know where I put the blame. Same place I put the blame when this team lost earlier than they could have and should have. Boudreau is simply not the right coach for this team. Not saying he is a bad coach overall, but this team hasn't responded to him in the playoffs. Sure, they are a great regular season team, but the teams with the best skill measured over an 82 game season are always the best. Put a pylon at the bench and a team like Washington will win 6 out of 10 games. But the playoffs are different.

There were a number of players that underacheived and other that achieved more than expected. Ovechin was great, Laich over-produced compared to his regular season, Arnott did his job. Even Semin was solid in the first series. What I see a bigger issue with team was their 3rd and 4th lines and their shutdown pairing on D. You can't expect to win when the guys who are paid to stop the other team from scoring are all minus players.

As Slozo said, there is more than one problem, but I still see the biggest as coaching.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page