Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Philadelphia vs. Boston Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  17:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they do - and its gonna be tough. They're already up against the cap for next year (they have 400K to sign 5 guys), and if they're going to pursue a big name goalie (like a Vokoun, or perhaps Nabokov), its going to cost them, which means they'll have to make even more room.

Like CHI last year, this will be an interesting summer for PHI I think, albeit on a lesser scale.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  23:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all their young skilled guys, i'd be surprised if they don't throw the Canucks a call to inquire about Schneider! Could be some interesting trade offers to compete with but still figure Philly's gotta be in the running!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  01:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done, done, done..... Total domination form the Bruins from begining to finish. The goalie carousel started spinning yet again and the Flyers looked totally un-interested.

And the B's broke the O'fer, albeit on a 2man advantage. 0 for 29 or whatever it was at, has to be a record in the playoffs? Anyone know that one?

Chara with 2G 1A, throwing bombs all over the net, B's clanged 3 posts, up 2 - 0 in first 1:03........

There won't be any 2 year in a row collapses, bring on Tampa !!

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 05/05/2011 01:54:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  04:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a disappointing game . . . glad I only caught the third period.

Man, who would've guessed it would be Boston meeting TB in the conference final? Boston has to be pretty pleased about that match-up if they are looking ahead (which they really shouldn't, although it would be tougher still for a 4 game comeback two years in a year).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  11:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Man, who would've guessed it would be Boston meeting TB in the conference final? Boston has to be pretty pleased about that match-up if they are looking ahead (which they really shouldn't, although it would be tougher still for a 4 game comeback two years in a year).

No kidding, i don't think it's often that a 3 seed has home ice in the Conference Finals. Usually one of the top two seeds is there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6906
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:16:26  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sensfan - I just corrected your misspelling of Philadelphia, no worries.

Interesting commets on this great feeling for Boston . . . and I couldn't disagree more with the prediction. I think Philly will actually roll over a very lame looking second round opponent . . . in my mind, of all the second round teams, Boston was playing the worst by far. Thomas has not impressed me whatsoever, their power play is a total joke, and their defence looks confused and slow at times - and that was against Montreal, which can't be considered an offensive powerhouse.

Unfortunately for Boston, Philly IS an offensive powerhouse, and all lines are rolling. Yes, their defence was suspect at times against Buffalo, but I thought the Sabres were playing really well, frankly. Boucher played as good as Thomas, in my opinion - you can throw out the regular season stats, because I won't even look at them.

Philly does take periods/games off though, so it won't be quick. Philly in 6 is my call.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6906
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:18:07  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting commets on this great feeling for Boston . . . and I couldn't disagree more with the prediction. I think Philly will actually roll over a very lame looking second round opponent . . . in my mind, of all the second round teams, Boston was playing the worst by far. Thomas has not impressed me whatsoever, their power play is a total joke, and their defence looks confused and slow at times - and that was against Montreal, which can't be considered an offensive powerhouse.

Unfortunately for Boston, Philly IS an offensive powerhouse, and all lines are rolling. Yes, their defence was suspect at times against Buffalo, but I thought the Sabres were playing really well, frankly. Boucher played as good as Thomas, in my opinion - you can throw out the regular season stats, because I won't even look at them.

Philly does take periods/games off though, so it won't be quick. Philly in 6 is my call.

NICE GUESS SENSFAN. GO BRUINS!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6906
( )

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:19:29  Reply with Quote
Sensfan, not a very astute 'guess' about what the Bruins would do. But you probably picked the Habs in 4. Go Bruins!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  14:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uhhhmm....

Guest6906,

You do realize it wasn't SENSFAN who originally posted that prediction?

note: gave you a bit of hint there to see where the posting originally came from.

note 2: more of a question is this what a cyber foot in the mouth looks like? Epic fail!
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6906

quote:

NICE GUESS SENSFAN. GO BRUINS!

What you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With all their young skilled guys, i'd be surprised if they don't throw the Canucks a call to inquire about Schneider! Could be some interesting trade offers to compete with but still figure Philly's gotta be in the running!

I can't see it - both teams are at the cap so salaries both ways would have to be near the same, and I can't think of what value we get out of PHI for 900K other than JVR who is probably nearly untouchable in PHI.

Unless both sides were to throw in other bits...but then why does VAN want to dismantle a very good team?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  21:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
I can't see it - both teams are at the cap so salaries both ways would have to be near the same, and I can't think of what value we get out of PHI for 900K other than JVR who is probably nearly untouchable in PHI.

Unless both sides were to throw in other bits...but then why does VAN want to dismantle a very good team?

Who knows, but the Flyers would love a young inexpensive goalie. Perhaps a 3 way deal? Perhaps prospects? All i say is that they're one of a few teams who will inquire about Schneider. Not saying they can work a deal but they should be in there trying!

On the other hand, Schneider has only played 30ish games. Maybe they'll want someone a little more proven and be willing to deal a guy like Carter to get a goalie with a similar contract. Dealing Carter would fetch a nice return and they'd still have Giroux, Briere, Richards, JVR, Hartnell, Leino, etc.....Pretty impressive forwards!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  04:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 6906 - I can't find your prediction . . . where is it?

Guest 6906 - in terms of series predictions in our pickuphockey game . . . how are you doing?

No one likes the peanut gallery guy who points out one or two missed predictions from a guy (me) who actually has an excellent record for predictions overall, and who always puts it out there, and is always on record.

With no accountability for yourself, it's easy to point to others as mistaken. But why don't you put your money where your mouth is, brave man? Make some predictions! Give us a full breakdown for the next round, who will win, etc, and we'll see how you do.

I doubt you have the balls for it, judging by your comments.

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  05:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I preddict guest 6906 doesn't have a prediction on record and that he won't sign up with a name.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  09:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

I preddict guest 6906 doesn't have a prediction on record and that he won't sign up with a name.

Ah, sticking with the favorites again eh Tox?
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
odds are in my favor that way
Go to Top of Page

Guest9283
( )

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:11:44  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2747

No Carter, no Gagne this year and somehow even worse goaltending than last year. I think Boston wins big and wins quick this year. Boston in 5

Looks like I was wrong, I said 5 games.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this doesn't really help my pool. I can see first place slipping away as I write this.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  22:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and the sweep is complete.

Its gonna be an interesting summer in Phili this year...
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  10:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Philly really rolled alright...right out of the playoffs.

I knew Philly didn`t have a goaltender to compete with Tim Thomas
Whats wrong with Phillies GM`s ?? Are they all brain dead ?? For years they have had great teams and not one of them will pick up a cup contending goalie.

Its like every year for Fifteen years this has been their problem and no - one in their management can see it...whats wrong with them ??
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  11:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing is wrong with Philly's GM's. Elite level goaltending does not grow on tree's!! It's not like there were tons of available goalies last season. Out of all the the goalies that moved around the in the off-season who stands out is Niemi. No other goalie that moved or was available than Bobrovsky.

Speaking of that, what's wrong with Bobrovsky?? Let me answer that question for you, nothing. He was a rookie with 28 wins, a .915 ave % and less a 2,59 GAA. Nothing wrong with that at all. Problem is he got cold at the wrong time.

There are only a few goalies available this season that would be a marked improvement of Bobrovsky so I wouldn't suggest Philly is making a change there. Where Philly bombed out in the playoffs (both against Buffalo and Boston) was really everywhere. They were lucky to get past Buffalo who was the better of the two teams for most of that series. Phi had a drop in every measurable statistic on performance compared to the regular season (PP, PK, Shots for and against, face off %). Most noticable, they where 3rd in the NHL during the regular season in 5 on 5 Goals F/A ratio at 1.21. They were one of the worst in the playoffs of 0.73.

If you can't beat the other team 5 on 5, you simply will not win. That's not just a goaltending thing, there was nothing that Philly did well through the playoffs. They didn't deserve to beat Buffalo and certainly deserved to lose to Boston.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  12:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are only a few goalies available this season that would be a marked improvement of Bobrovsky so I wouldn't suggest Philly is making a change there.

One would think that they want to build around Bob - hes a great young goalie that suffered from inexperience in his first playoffs - and get a reliable backup for him (Biron-ish type goalie). Or, if they could get Nabokov for cheap they could go with him for a single year and let Bob mature more as a backup or tandem. I don't see them getting rid of Bob, he's one of the most promising young goalies in the NHL today.

Beans is right - the loss for PHI was a collective team loss, no one played at the level they needed to. When your opponent scores 20 goals against you in 4 games, its more than bad goaltending. I have no doubt that missing Pronger and Carter was a big factor for them, but at the end of the day they have other pressure performers players (Richards, Briere), and enough front end depth to at least compete. And they did not.

So now you have a team that is loaded with front-end talent that could not get the job done, a reliable defense that is mostly signed through next year, and 2 goalies, one of which you want to keep. Big free agents include Leino and Carcillo. And, they have 450K to sign 5 players to field a complete team. Something big has to come off the table.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  13:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans.....I don't think anyone is saying that Bobrovsky sucks and isn't/never will be good enough, but you're looking at a team that is on the verge of winning NOW! Why wait and develop a goalie? Looking forward at next year and the cap situation that Alex, errrr nuxvan[:D, pointed out, it seems to me that they should have made a move at the deadline for a goalie! I don't care if it was a rental, but someone they figured could keep them in a series. You need not look any farther than Tampa and see what picking up an experienced veteran has done for their playoffs! Yeah, they'd have to shed some salary, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them do that same thing in the offseason, which could involve moving Carter in some sort of package deal which would include a goalie.

Now, who knows, maybe they tried to do that and just couldn't get the right deal done? Maybe they went the way of the rookie goalie and hoped and it just didn't work like it did for Chicago last year, the Canes five years ago and others in past years? Personally, i wouldn't have gone into the playoffs with the goaltending the Flyers did if i were in charge.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  06:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Alex, but a couple of things. Hindsight is 20/20 and nearly everyone could point back to the trade deadline and wonder why Philly didn't get a goalie. However, I was answering the 'what should they do now' question rather than 'what should they have done.'

Secondly, and most importantly, do you think that team would have won in the playoffs with a different goalie???

I don't......
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  08:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex is right Beans, i was about to make the Tampa point but then read it in Alex`s post. Veteran goalies who stop pucks make the whole team better.

Have any of you guys played hockey ? I have but not professionally mind you. When you work your a$$ off for 20 - 30 minutes ( controlling most of the play ) and can`t score on the opposing teams hot goalie and then they get a weak goal on you, its crumbling for your team. When this Scenario happens continuiosly...YOUR DONE...KAPUT....the whole team loses confidience, no-one plays, everything goes wrong, turn-overs are happening everywhere.....and it all starts in goal.

This has been the Flyers case since Lindros was there. I know goalies don`t grow on trees Beans but you would think that a Flyers GM would have brought in at least ONE great goalie.....they have had since the early 1990`s for a starting point !!!

Why didn`t they go after Vokoun ?? cap problems maybe...your the GM...move some-one ...fix it...

No, the Flyers problem is their GM`s think that their goal-tending is always good enough to win the stanley cup...they`ve been wrong for 17 - 18 years now.....its time for them to wise up and bring in a solid goal - tender.

Then again i`m a leafs fan, i hope they keep Bobo
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  08:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry forgot, you didn`t think the Flyers were good enough to win Beans ?? Did you see the game where Thomas stopped something like 54 - 56 shots ??....and the Bruins WON the game !!Goal - tending wins championships, without a good goalie...you have nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page