Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Do you miss the old HNIC opening song? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  21:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Watching the game tonight, and I realized, I don't actually mind the new HNIC anthem, and have sort of forgotten the old one (I know its on TSN, but the Canucks are rarely on TSN so I rarely hear it). The new one is kind of catchy, makes me think of hockey when I hear it.

Have you accepted the new one, or do you still miss the old one on CBC?

Choices:

miss the old one
don''t mind the new one
really like the new one
don''t care either way

Edited by - nuxfan on 05/03/2011 21:25:06

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  22:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the old one, can't help it, I'm a traditionalist.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  22:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSN has the theme, and I watch TSN more often, because I like the Oilers, so I really have no preference in the playoffs.

But, I miss the old CBC. In fact, what I miss more than the Hockey Theme (as the old HNIC intro is actually named) is the commentary of Chris Cuthbert, now with TSN. He is one of my favourite commentators.

There are only two good commentators left at the CBC Jim Hughson, and another guy who I can't remember, other than that, they are all very dull and boring. I refer mainly to the play-by-play commentary, as some of the colour commentary by the CBC is great, especially when its by former players like Kevin Weekes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  05:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the old one. There was every reason to keep it, and no reason to change it, and the public - which funds the CBC with our tax dollars - all wanted to keep it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

FutureKesler
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  07:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new one is all right, but the old one was better. It belonged to CBC, why did TSN steal it for American games? (e.g Columbus Vs Detroit) Its the hockey night in Canada theme, not hockey night in the USA

The Oil WILL not make the playoffs in 2012
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  08:43:59  Reply with Quote
Actually, TSN didn't 'steal' it. CBC was using the song under a licence aggreement from 1968 to 2008.

In 2004, the composer started legal action against CBC because they were using the Theme Song on other programs besides what was agreed upon in the licence without the consent of the composer.

In 2008, when the licence expired and no aggreement was worked out with CBC, the song was sold to CTV and thus used by TSN and RDS.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7931
( )

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:32:15  Reply with Quote
Depending on your bent, it was either greed on the part of the composer or CBC being too cheap. I think it was a bit of both.

When I hear the song being played on TSN, it seems out of place, but I grew up watching HNIC and hearing the song before the start of their hockey telecasts.

It's kinda like taking the opening song to a hit TV show and moving it to another TV show. Like taking the theme song for Bonanza and moving it over to Gunsmoke for you old-timers, or taking the opening song for the Simpsons and moving it over to Southpark.

I don't really understand why TSN bought the HNIC theme song except to make a point. For me, it doesn't add anything to their opening, and to repeat the point, it just seems out of place.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9920
( )

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  20:31:05  Reply with Quote
I cry myself to sleep every night wishing they'd bring it back, but no
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page