Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Best player without a goal in 2011 playoffs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  09:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
During the VAN/NSH game last night, before there was a goal, the announcers were suggesting that Kesler had been the "best player without a goal" in the playoffs. Kesler now has a goal, but that got me wondering about the rest...

What goal-less player has been the best in the 2011 playoffs?

Choices:

Milan Lucic (BOS)
Zdeno Chara (BOS)
Henrik Sedin (VAN)
Dan Boyle (SJ)
Nicklas Backstrom (WSH)

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would add Kris Versteeg to that list, he has 5 assists, no goals, and has been playing great, creating lots of chances and is a +3 despite getting beat the last two games.

I voted for Boyle though. I also expect him to break through with a goal, probably on the pp, very soon - maybe tonight He is my ace in the hole in the big money pool I am in, no one else has him and if I am to win, he will need to start piling up those points.

I like choosing great pp defencemen on teams that may go far and have a very good power play - d-men generally end up in the top twenty in the playoffs I have found, where in the regular season, there is rarely a top 20 guy to break through these days. Tighter games, and the % of goals coming on the pp are greater, boosting their numbers (from my rough calculations).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doh! - I am keeping the poll to players still playing, and when I saw his name for some reason I thought CHI and went past him... old habits die hard I guess. Yes, he'd be a reasonable addition as well
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Lucic myself - that line of Horton/Lucic/Krejci has been great for BOS, and how the others can be having such success (8 goals total for the others) while Lucic has no goals is puzzling. He's due.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  12:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definately not Backstrom he's been awful. I think Johanssen should get his spot on the top line.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  13:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i don't know what's wrong with Backstrom. As i said prior to this series, Backstrom was virtually invisible against the Rangers in the opening round. I've watched 2 of the 3 TB/WAS games, and he put in brutual performances in each. The effort simply hasn't been there, and he looks disengaged.

He had a rather subpar regular season as well...i'm sure the Caps were expecting much more on the heels of the big 10 year $67 million deal he signed last summer. Alex Semin has been very inconsistent in the playoffs as well . If i'm the Caps, unless he's willing to take a drastic paycut, i'd let him walk as a UFA this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  13:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another "tricky" question. IMO, Henrik is the "best" player on that list, having won the Art Ross and Hart last year and therefore HE is the best player without a goal.

To me, it's far more surprising that Lucic hasn't scored though, seeing as it's more his game than Hank the passer's.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  14:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Alex Semin has been very inconsistent in the playoffs as well . If i'm the Caps, unless he's willing to take a drastic paycut, i'd let him walk as a UFA this summer.

He signed a 1 year extension earlier this year

Bring back the Jets!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes he did, 1 year @ $6.7 million. Guess he's not going anywhere then!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another "tricky" question. IMO, Henrik is the "best" player on that list, having won the Art Ross and Hart last year and therefore HE is the best player without a goal.

Alex, I thought I was being clear, sorry - the player that has played the best *in the 2011 playoffs*, but has not scored a goal. Regular season play does not factor in - which is why I didn't choose Hank.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Alex, I thought I was being clear, sorry - the player that has played the best *in the 2011 playoffs*, but has not scored a goal. Regular season play does not factor in - which is why I didn't choose Hank.

Well, no way Hank should be leading then, that's for sure, as he hasn't played very well as compared to what's expected of him. I haven't seen enough of Backstrom, but have heard he's been terrible. Boyle, i know has played fairly good all around. Lucic, seems he just can't buy one? All these guys i find surprising that they haven't done a whole lot? I have Chara in a pool and he's done squat!

I guess i'd take Boyle.

ETA....i checked the stats on the games tonight (still at work) immediately after posting this, and wouldn't ya know it, Chara has a goal.

Edited by - Alex116 on 05/04/2011 16:30:39
Go to Top of Page

Guest2791
( )

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:38:29  Reply with Quote
You can take Chara off the list.
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  18:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best player without a goal yet this playoff season is Pekka Rinne.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  22:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chara and Boyle both scored tonight...not many left suddenly.

7752 - probably you are right, however the poll was limited to players that are supposed to score. However, it would not surprise me if Rinne did score a goal this postseason, he's done everything else already...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page