Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Washington's Woes Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is mostly to blame for the Washington Capitals quick exit in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Choices:

Bruce Boudreau
Alexander Semin
Mike Green
Alexander Ovechkin
Niklas Backstrom
Michal Neuvirth
Other (who?)

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  21:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it's really a team thing Boudreau will pay for it but to be honest the only star player on this team that seems to want to win in the playoffs is Ovetchkin, other than ovetchkin and a few other role players i thought played very well and of course Neuvirth the team has to look at themselves in the mirror,,

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  22:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of their star Players not named Ovechkin

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  04:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There really should be another option - all of the above.

Myself, I wouldn't include Neuvirth at all - he has never been a highly rated goalie, and he probably performed to just about where his expectations were for him.

It's the Caps offence, defensive stopping power, and coaching where they had the real "underperforming" issues.

To me, it's a combination of Backstrom (this year only - he was great last year), Semin, Mike Green, Boudreau, and some others in minor roles. Really, it's the top three offensive guys after Ovie who prformed horribly - and that's just too many passengers.

Where is the 100 point Backstrom? The guy who was one of the top young playmakers in the game? Where is the Semin that started out a couple years ago looking like he was the most talented player on the Caps, and on a better points pace than Ovie? Where was the fierce and accurate point slap shot of Mike Green, who on the pp at least often looked like a young Brett Hull on the point?

And where was Boudreau in motivating, juggling the lines, and getting any or all of these guys going? Where was Boudreau making sure he implemented the right system for the team he had on the ice?

It's never just one guy.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

FutureKesler
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  06:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Green has to improve defensively, and his offence has tailed off as well.

The Oil WILL NOT make the playoffs in 2012
Go to Top of Page

Guest2923
( )

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:37:12  Reply with Quote
The entire team is horrible (except Ovechekin)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4793
( )

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  06:44:47  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin... No T

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

i think it's really a team thing Boudreau will pay for it but to be honest the only star player on this team that seems to want to win in the playoffs is Ovetchkin, other than ovetchkin and a few other role players i thought played very well and of course Neuvirth the team has to look at themselves in the mirror,,

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  10:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Ovie played well but i noticed something during this years playoffs with the Capitals, i seen several games.

Ovie always wants the puck, he won`t let anyone else play hockey. He constantly hogged the puck and turned it over and over again while entering the oppositions zone, the guy won`t dish the puck off to his linemates.

Several times on his turn-overs at the oppositions blue-line, the opposing team came back the other way and scored with the Capital players all caught in the opposing teams end.....its like his line-mates are at full speed entering the opposing zone but Ovie doesn`t dump the puck in or advance it ahead....all his line - mates are totally thrown off their timing and don`t know where to go or what to do.....they are just hung out to dry.

No matter who has the puck when Ovie is on the ice, Ovie is constantly smacking his stick on the ice for that player to give him the puck no matter what the situation. Seems like who-ever is on Ovie`s line, they only have one job, pass Ovie the puck.....do not create, do not think....just pass the puck to Ovie.

Sidney Crosby is the total opposite of what Ovie is. Crosby is one of the best team players i`ve ever seen.....Ovie is one of the best individual players i`ve ever seen.....( in team sports ) teams win championships, not individuals.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9920
( )

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  13:40:02  Reply with Quote
how bout everyone else, the depth of this team is awful
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  20:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest, try and explain to me how a team who finishes 1st over-all in the Eastern conference suddenly has no depth ?

It`s happened to San Jose for years, always a sh** load of regular season points...then suddenly gone from the playoffs.

Maybe its heart, a desire to win,( plus outstanding goal-tending ) come playoff time. Whatever the difference maker is...some teams seem to have it and some don`t.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6439
( )

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  11:31:10  Reply with Quote
Its the whole team. Its not like tennis or golf, hockey is a team sport.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8149
( )

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  18:31:14  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Guest, try and explain to me how a team who finishes 1st over-all in the Eastern conference suddenly has no depth ?

I agree - it's hard to argue that Washington has no depth. That being said, the Eastern Conference was very close this year. Yes, the Caps were first in the east, but they had only 4 more regular season wins than the 8th place Rangers. It was a very close and tight conference, and really, no single team could have been considered a favourite to come out of the east to go to the Stanley Cup Finals. But fans look at who finishes first in a division or conference, and expectations go from there. Look at the Canucks as an example. If they don't make the Stanley Cup Finals (or win the cup), some fans will utter the choke label, which would not be fair in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page