Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Worst Fans In Canada Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Guest0844
( )

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:50:20  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think has the worst fans in Canada.

Choices:

Edmonton
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Calgary
Vancouver

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  16:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has got to be the Vancouver fans.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4040
( )

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  17:15:24  Reply with Quote
it has got to be the leafs fans

Long live Canucks Nation!
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  17:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has to be the Calgary Flames

LONG LIVE OILERS NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  18:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have no first-hand proof obviously since I don't live in Canada, but from what I've heard I'll say Leafs fans.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0844
( )

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  19:28:55  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Canuck fans are the worst. There probably the biggest bandwagon jumpers.

Leafs gota be the best.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  20:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree with everyone that says Leafs fans.
Leafs fans are the best fans in Canada. They are loyal to their team even if they are losing, they still are proud to call themselves Leafs fans.
I don't think any canadian has bad fans, we are all great fans to our teams

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  20:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0844

I'd have to say Canuck fans are the worst. There probably the biggest bandwagon jumpers.

Leafs gota be the best.

ya i thought you were a leaf fan
Go to Top of Page

67LEAFS
Top Prospect

17 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  00:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's easy....Vancouver by a long shot. Biggest bunch of bandwagen jumpers in the country. Lets clinch our terrible towels for a minute and think about it...boo Team Canada 72, have a riot during 94 Cup run, boo American national anthem @ 2005 World Juniors...all very classy moves.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 67LEAFS

boo American national anthem @ 2005 World Juniors...all very classy moves.

Whaaat?? Geez I'm sure glad to know Nucks fans have courtesy and dignity when going abraod.../huge sarcasm

And they boo their OWN team too?? Why would they boo Team Canada? They live there....hmmm maybe I need to change my vote to Vancouver fans.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4489
( )

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:15:16  Reply with Quote
I love the 'Nucks but we have some of the worst fans. Montreal and Vancouver both booed the 72 Canadian Team, both cities rioted. Montreal fans have more class though. As much as I hate the Leafs and Leaf fans, I have to admire their unwavering dedication and belief that despite having a s***ty team on the ice, the fans still believe.

Vive les habitants

Go Canucks Go
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe we have the worst fans, but i am an amazing canuck fan!!!!!!!!

Nice win over Detroit last night 4-1 YYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Go Canucks

Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most leaf fans know barely anything about hockey so I picked them. Vancouver is pretty bad though.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I obviously voted toronto, but that is what is dumb about this poll, the Canucks fans vote for toronto and the toronto fans vote for the Nucks, of and all u guys who say canucks fans are bandwagon jumpers, 163 consecutive shutouts doesnt lie, and did anyone els notice the amount of people who jumped on the flames and oilers bandwagons in the last 2 playoffs.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice canucks man

Go canucks
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  13:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I obviously voted toronto, but that is what is dumb about this poll, the Canucks fans vote for toronto and the toronto fans vote for the Nucks, of and all u guys who say canucks fans are bandwagon jumpers, 163 consecutive shutouts doesnt lie, and did anyone els notice the amount of people who jumped on the flames and oilers bandwagons in the last 2 playoffs.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

I'm sure you meant sellouts. Luongo isn't quite THAT good.

But you must remember, some of the people who were jumping on the Flames/Oilers' bandwagons were Canucks fans. I know a few of them.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  13:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no that some of them were canucks fans, and yeah i meant sellouts, should have reread what i typed before i posted

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Habs fans they also booooded the American anthems in 2002 I think in a NYI - Habs game, just can't do that

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  10:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buddy you canot put all the habs fans in the same basket. I was at that game in 2003 and I didn't bood the American National Anthem. People who did that are just some weirdos. But as I see from the poll results it's not only me who think that Toronto has the worst fans in Canada.

Lyle Odelein is a god!

Edited by - The_only_Odelein_fan on 03/21/2007 10:06:32
Go to Top of Page

Guest4248
( )

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:40:41  Reply with Quote
The only reason they booed team canada in 72 is because they blew a three to nothing lead and ended up losing like 7-3 against the USSR.
Leafs have good fans but i still hate them.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4248

The only reason they booed team canada in 72 is because they blew a three to nothing lead and ended up losing like 7-3 against the USSR.

If they were true fans they wouldn't boo their own team. Let's see THEM pull out their sticks and skates and try to beat the greatest hockey team in the world at the time, huh?

You didn't see our fans booing us when we lost to the Soviets 10-3 at Madison Square Garden. 'Course that was just an exhibition game and we never had a lead but you get my point...
Go to Top of Page

STobin9
Top Prospect

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really hard to say canadian hockey fans are bad, because every hockey town in canada is centred around those team sand the fans are all die hard.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4545
( )

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  13:16:02  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I disagree with everyone that says Leafs fans.
Leafs fans are the best fans in Canada. They are loyal to their team even if they are losing, they still are proud to call themselves Leafs fans.
I don't think any canadian has bad fans, we are all great fans to our teams

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Thats funny... then why do they boo all their players when they are playing their "best"... mind you the best for the leafs is complaing about everything so yeah
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  21:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends what we're talking about with the word "worst", but I voted Montreal because, well, as a Boston fan I felt it was my solemn duty to do so!

Also, any Habs fans older than 37 or so still cheering for them, I got one thing to say to you, cheer for another team or retire as a hockey fan already please!!!!! I mean, are you greedy or what?!!! If the Bruins won just one Cup, I'd move on, and cheer for some other city like Chicago that hasn't won since JFK and Marilyn were ...
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  15:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those oiler fans are jokes too...I was watching highlights of their game last night, and what do you know? Lots of empty seats.........
Only the great leaf fans stick by through thick and thin.....

GO LEAFS

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  06:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv'e heard some nasty rumors about those fans in the Yukon

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  01:45:59  Reply with Quote
It is Montreal fans for sure, but Van city is a close second. Both cities riot when their teams lose, burn cop cars, loot the business' of their great city. C'mon, it's poor sportsmanship, I know they are die hard fans but that is a little extreme.........As for Toronto, they are the most loyal, they have not had a team with a real chance in a very long time, but they still sell the place out
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  06:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't know how anyone can vote for Toronto or Edmonton. Montreal I can understand a bit, but really, they aren't that bad, just a little too heavily invested and emotional at times. See: ovation for Saku Koivu's comeback, if you want to see real emotion and class. Unlike Toronto, they are deadly hard on their team, and it frankly shows up in their performance - they have been much better over the years.

Why no one has mentioned Calgary or Ottawa is beyond me as well . . . they should certainly be in the running with Vancouver, who should be far and away the worst. Calgary is full of bandwagon jumpers, as most white-collar cities are, but is not even in the same league as Vancouver. Ottawa's fan base is so small they have to be here I suppose, but then again, the ones that are still fans are die-hards and must get our respect.

But Vancouver - basically as large as Montreal/Toronto - has no excuse to be like they are: bandwagon jumping goofballs in the majority, and all they do is spout nonsense about Toronto fans being terrible while quickly jumping off the bandwagon if the Canucks have a poor season. And they certainly don't have a reputation for classiness, as mentioned above.

My vote is for Vancouver.

For all who voted for Toronto, please indulge us - other than an emotional hate-on or total ignorance, why?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  07:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, their are good and bad fans for every team, regardless of the sport or the city that team plays in. I can't fathom how many meatballs I hear call into the local Edmonton radio shows with statements like, We should trade Horcoff and Souray for Malkin. Way to make us all look stupid.

That being said, I have a hate on for Vancouver and, although I admit it is 100% media driven, their fans do appear to jump on and off the bandwagon more than most. I recall one fan in the playoffs a few seasons ago that was literally cutting the flag of the Canucks he had worn to the playoff game that Vancouver lost to go down 0-2 to Dallas. That exact same fan was screaming his way into game 7 talking about, 'The Cup is coming home!!" Coming home?? Doesn't it have to be there at least once for it to be 'Coming Home??"

That being said, what drives me crazier than anything else is when Joe Q. Sportsfan talks about his or her favorite hockey team as a possessive. Say things lie "We should do XX" or " I can't believe we traded." YOU were not involved in the least. YOU have no impact on the decisions the team makes or what happens in any way shape or form. Quit talking about the team your cheer for as it it's yours.

So annoying.

*I'm sure I just opened up the door for all my PUH bretheren to start doing this even if they didn't before to just get under my skin.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9023
( )

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  20:31:09  Reply with Quote
Its gotta be the friggin habs fans... who else will yell a soccer chant at a hockey game? ole ole ole ole.... so frickin stupid
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  22:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah, all these old threads being brought back.

I think every team has its idiot fans, Vancouver included. Every team has its diehard never-do-bad fans, bandwagon jumpers, armchair quarterbacks...and even keel devoted fans that support their team day in and day out. We're all the same.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  09:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At some level we are all the same . . . but at many other levels, NO, we are NOT the same.

Vancouver fans do not sell out their building almost every night like the Leafs and Habs do, even with a compareable population and income level. They have been in the league long enough, and have had enough success, one would think, to be in the same ballpark - and they aren't.

Worst fans, to me, does not mean least knowledgable . . . it means the least fanatical - the short form of "fan". So, the fan that supports their team the least.

There are many factors that go into support - buying tickets to go see the games, buying merchandise, being a fan outside of the city, etc. Of course, not all the cities and franchises are as large, or as old and established, so it would be totally unfair to compare Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa to Toronto and Montreal in terms of population.

But when we are talking paying for high-priced tickets, no one even comes CLOSE to Toronto. Montreal would come in second, and I have no idea who would come in third . . . maybe Calgary.
When it comes to fans outside of the city/region, no one even comes close to both Toronto and Montreal. But I will say this: I bet the city that comes in third - far behind the big two, but definitely in third - is Edmonton. And that speaks to the level of "die hard" fans, people that have left Alberta, or grew up there, used to work there, or grew up watching Gretzky and co.

I don't see anything remotely close to that for Vancouver, in terms of fans outside of the city. Here in Toronto, for example, I would rate in terms of fan population from other cities: 1-Montreal, 2- Edmonton, 3-Ottawa, 4-Calgary, 5-Vancouver

So no, we are definitely, NO WAY, the same. If other Toronto lads would chime in with their observations, I'd like to see their opinion on this too.
The defence rests!

Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  11:57:45  Reply with Quote
I don't agree with slozo much, but i think he hit the nail on the head. Well done mr. slozo.
However, the question is "worst" fans - not least knowledgeable, not most fanatic, etc... and IMO, the "worst" fans are a tie between Winnipeg and Quebec City.
They let their teams go to the USA without even a fight.
We only heard of the "fans" years AFTER the teams were gone.
And now - the "Fans" want a team back, but the fans are all wiating on some else to bring them home.

... This 'ought to stir up some crap...?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8605
( )

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  12:56:31  Reply with Quote
I live in Vancouver and I am a Canucks fan but I would have to agree that, in general, Canuck fans are the worst.

That being said Slozo, the Canucks have had 307 consecutive sell outs and if you want to buy tix from a scalper your looking at at least twice face value on most nights. So in that sense I would have to argue that Vancouver is up there with Toronto and Montreal.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm Slozo, you need to try RESEARCH before you spout crap.

As guest said, Vancouver has 300-odd consecutive sellouts at GM Place, in a city with a smaller population than both MTL and TOR. So, we don't sell out "almost every night like the Leafs or Habs do", but we sell out EVERY night.

Vancouver had the 3rd highest average ticket price in the NHL last year, behind TOR and MTL ($76 for TOR, $64 for MTL, $62 for VAN).
We have roughly a 98% renewal rate for season and half season tix, and a roughly 7 year waiting list. No doubt TOR and MTL are similar. Canucks tickets are hot here - try getting a ticket on game night, you'll usually pay double face value to get it.

I don't know how much Orca Bay makes from merchandise, but I will bet it is substantial. Go to any game here, 75% of the fans will be wearing jerseys. Game days or during playoffs, nearly everyone on the streets wears one. Canucks gear all over cubicles at work, friends homes, everywhere. As with TOR, they are not cheap. I would not be surprised to find that Orca Bay was in the top 3 in the league in team revenues, if I could find those stats.

I agree that MTL and TOR have far more fans than other teams and a more dispersed fan base - the main reason being that they have been around much longer. My dad was a MTL fan (until the 80's Oilers). All my friend's dads were either TOR or MTL fans - because there was no one else when they were kids. They pass these traditions on to their kids - hell, I was a MTL fan until I could think for myself. Some kids never outgrow it, I know some Leafs fans that have never even been to Toronto. Are they the fans you mean?

You don't live here, so you don't have any idea how things get during the season or in the playoffs. Fans here are fanatical, trust me, this city goes nuts. The province goes nuts. Canucks fans are some of the loudest and most vocal I have ever experienced. It is a great city to be a hockey fan in.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  18:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Nuxfan, before you accuse people of 'spouting crap' you might want to do a little more research.

Every team has sell outs when their team is good (see Phoenix at the end of last season), but it's when the team is weak and the fans are still coming out that tells the tale.

TO has not won in more than 6 decades and Montreal has not won in coming on 20 and they still sell out. Edmonton had one run and they still sell out, as has Calgary and Ottawa.

Where were the Vancouver fans when the team was weak?? In 05/06 the Canucks were out of the playoffs and did not sell out. In 06/07 the Canucks made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and they did sell out.

Pretty simple. In TO and Montreal, and even Edmonton and Calgary for the past number of years they sell out regardless of the team on the ice. Vancouver sells out when they are winnning and don't sell out when they are losing. Indicative of really great fans right??

You also completely missed the part that Slozo talked about where Vancouver is not a great draw outside of Vancouver as well. Showing how many fans outside of Vancouver cheer for the Canucks.

Be careful of calling people on stuff. Pot calling the kettle black, no???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  18:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to hear vocal fans, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

Sound familiar??? Vancouver ripped off Edmonton on this big time. The only time this was cool in Vancouver was during the Olympics. Other than that...........
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  20:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Beans . . . Vancouver fans don't get it though. They will only point out the stats when they are at their zenith, not when they have hit rock bottom. Or, say . . . mediocrity.

I remember my one and only time visiting Vancouver's arena . . . for the home opener, against who else but my mighty Leafs. I think it was 98 or 99, around there - and I was travelling, just got back from a long northern trip (Yukon, Alaska, northenr BC) and I was there for a month or so, and as luck would have it at the start of hockey season.

Leafs had a mediocre team, it was well after the heyday of the 92/93 squad . . . and Vancouver was similar, but probably had a better chance of being playoff bound if I recall - Naslund, Bertuzzi - those days.

I bought a ticket game day. Something around $25. And it was a mid range seat, with a great view as I recall (nice arena). And it wasn't a sell-out. AAAAaaaaaaand . . . there were more people wearing Leafs jerses than Canucks jerseys, and all the radio and tv guys were saying how as Vancouver fans they hated playing the Leafs because they seemed to be playing a road game almost.

That was a real eye-opener for me . . . I had had no idea that I could go to Vancouver - thousands of kilometers away from my home town - and have more fans than the home team.

It was bizarre.

Leafs won 2-1, I just remembered . . . so, I could find out the year from that, if the memory is correct. But, too lazy.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  21:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans and Slozo, you guys really aren't giving Vancouver credit. While I do agree that they are the worst team, you guys are completely wrong in your logic. Both of you.

How can you not give credit to Vancouver? Nuxfan was right, the Canucks DO sell out often, something like 300 games as nuxfan said. In fact, you guys are spouting crap, you both did no research. Beans, where was Vancouver's attendance in 05/06? Actually, they were sold out every game, during a time where they were mediocre. 300+ sellouts means that they have been sold out for roughly 8 years. Not bad for a fan base that doesn't care.

That year, when playing on the road, they averaged an average attendance of about 18,000. Now it was only good enough for 17th, but considering their team was mediocre and the fact that they had no big names or any intrigue, 17th is quite good. Last year, they 17,132 fans to road arenas, good for 10th. Leafs were 11th.

Vancouver has a lively and passionate fan base, as evidenced by the Olympics recently staged there. I think their fans are arrogant and cocky considering they haven't won a Cup, but I digress.

Beans, you did no research. Slozo, your story is from like 10 years ago, how the **** is that even relevant anymore? Don't go telling others to do more research when you guys did $hit.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  21:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No research???C'mon, who do you think you are talking too??
Here is the link to the attendance, by team, both on the road and at home for the past 10ish years.

Less than 100% means they did not sell out every game.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Now, maybe this information is inaccurate, however based on this information my research is true.

Strong Team = Sell Out
Weak Team = No Sell Out

That was my point. TO and MONT sell out regardless of their team. Other teams (including the Oilers who I cheer for) do not completely sell out when they are losing. They will still come close and sell out most of the time, but not all the time.

Finally, I don't have to give anyone credit. I have an opinion that is mine and I need to prove nothing. I think Vancouver fans are more fickle than most. Do I have to justify that?? Nope.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo - I didn't realize you were here for a single game in 12 years ago...I guess you had all the research you needed to make blanket statements about an entire region and their hockey fans in 2010...

quote:
Hey Nuxfan, before you accuse people of 'spouting crap' you might want to do a little more research.

Every team has sell outs when their team is good (see Phoenix at the end of last season), but it's when the team is weak and the fans are still coming out that tells the tale.

TO has not won in more than 6 decades and Montreal has not won in coming on 20 and they still sell out. Edmonton had one run and they still sell out, as has Calgary and Ottawa.

Where were the Vancouver fans when the team was weak?? In 05/06 the Canucks were out of the playoffs and did not sell out. In 06/07 the Canucks made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and they did sell out.

Pretty simple. In TO and Montreal, and even Edmonton and Calgary for the past number of years they sell out regardless of the team on the ice. Vancouver sells out when they are winnning and don't sell out when they are losing. Indicative of really great fans right??

Beans - where did I say that Vancouver had sold out every game it has ever played in Vancouver? Slozo said the following:

- the Canucks don't sell out every game
- the population base in Vancouver is the same as Toronto
- the income base in Vancouver is the same as Toronto

all of which are false, and can be debunked with a simple twitch of my google finger.

According to the link you posted, the Canucks did sell out in 05/06 - which they would have had to do as they have a 300+ home game sellout streak going. If I use my math skillz, a 300 game sellout streak would take us back to midway in the 2002/03 season (taking into account a 45 game season including playoff games).

The thing that separates Vancouver (and Ottawa for that matter) from the other Canadian cities is a history of winning and a fanbase built on winning teams. The Oilers had a great deal of success quickly, and were able to build a very loyal fanbase early and quickly - most of that fanbase still exists to this day I would think. The Flames, not as much success and their first few years in Calgary were lean years (I was there and going to games), but once they got good and won their cup they too took off and developed a very solid fanbase. Toronto and Montreal have deep winning histories - enough so that even though it hasn't happened for a while, they still live off of that.

Vancouver has yet to experience that. I think the fan base here has solidified a great deal since those lean years in the late 90's, and I expect they'll be selling out the stadium into the forseeable future.

quote:
You also completely missed the part that Slozo talked about where Vancouver is not a great draw outside of Vancouver as well. Showing how many fans outside of Vancouver cheer for the Canucks.

Vancouver is a huge draw outside of Vancouver, in the province of BC. There are fans all over the province and even into the Yukon, as the Canucks are really the only team that BC has. The draw doesn't go much further than that however, as we border on AB (which has 2 teams of their own and a huge fan base of their own), the US, and an ocean. I would imagine that most Canucks fans outside BC are transplants, but I don't know that for sure, as I live in Vancouver.

I think all teams enjoy a very strong fanbase in their home cities. For historical reasons, I think that TOR and MTL enjoy an additional widespread fanbase throughout Canada.

So, does quantity of fans, or quality of the fans a team has, decide whose fans are "best" and "worst"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page