Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Worst Fans In Canada Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  07:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, from the emotional responses (let's try and lay off the personal attacks, shall we?), I can see that the Canuck fans on this site are, indeed, true fans. That was never questioned.

But all this talk of sell-outs . . . starting from the 02/03 season, according to nuxfan, got me to looking at their record in the sell-out years:

05/06: Home record 25-10-6, overall 42-32-8, 9th in conference (one of the best ever teams to miss the playoffs, I'll wager)
03/04: Home record 21-13-7, overall 101 pts, 1st in div., 3rd in conf.
02/03: Home record: 22-13-6, overall 104pts, 2nd in div., 4th in conf.

So, no bad teams there. Despite what nuxfan might think, that IS a winning history . . . it may not be a cup-winning history, but it was a very competetive team throughout, and certainly a contender much of the time. For a city the size of Vancouver, a city in Canada (no one said it was the same size, I said it's in the same range as Toronto and Montreal, that's all - if you think that's a reach, you are entitle to your opinion), that should be EXPECTED.

So, what was the attendance like when the Canucks were losing? You know, after the '94 Stanley Cup run where they lost game 7 in a heartbreaker, 3-2 (remember watching that game) and Vancouver responded with a downtown riot that resulted in property damage, injuries and arrests?

Not great, but not terrible either, from what I found out. A couple of years, they even beat the mighty Leafs in average attendance as the Buds wallowed through the horrific Ballard years, and Vancouver had exciting stars like Naslund, Bure, Mogilny.

Better than I thought, at any rate.

I still say Vancouver fans are the worst, but maybe not quite as bad as I once thought.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  08:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

So, no bad teams there. Despite what nuxfan might think, that IS a winning history . . . it may not be a cup-winning history, but it was a very competetive team throughout, and certainly a contender much of the time. For a city the size of Vancouver, a city in Canada (no one said it was the same size, I said it's in the same range as Toronto and Montreal, that's all - if you think that's a reach, you are entitle to your opinion), that should be EXPECTED.

The Canucks have put together competative teams during their history, but I was in fact referring to a cup-winning history. I don't think anything brings a city together with a team like a cup. I was in AB during the 80's living in (and cheering heavily for) Calgary, and saw the rise in popularity as they got closer to 89. When they won the cup, it brought fans together like nothing else I had experienced, or experienced since. I moved to Edmonton the next year to go to uni, but remained a devout Flames fan until I left for Vancouver in the late 90's - those were tough years to be a Flames fan. Even to this day, even though I can't stand Calgary anymore, I still have great memories of that late-80's team and the 89 cup year. The Canucks, for all their good years, haven't been able to do that yet.

The population of the GVRD (Vancouver and about 13 suburb cities) is roughly 2M. The GTA alone is nearly triple the population, never mind other cities that are within an hours travel of ACC but outside the GTA. I would guess that the Leafs have a pool of roughly 7M people within 1 hour travel of ACC - about 1.5 times larger than the population of the entire province of BC. In that regard, Vancouver and Toronto are not in the same range.

quote:

So, what was the attendance like when the Canucks were losing? You know, after the '94 Stanley Cup run where they lost game 7 in a heartbreaker, 3-2 (remember watching that game) and Vancouver responded with a downtown riot that resulted in property damage, injuries and arrests?

Not great, but not terrible either, from what I found out. A couple of years, they even beat the mighty Leafs in average attendance as the Buds wallowed through the horrific Ballard years, and Vancouver had exciting stars like Naslund, Bure, Mogilny.

That I don't know, I was still living in Edmonton up to '96. However, when I got to Vancouver and decided to support the team in the late 90's, I had no trouble getting scalper tickets to games for reasonable amounts, and sat in ~ 75% full stadiums most nights. They were not great for sure. It was also a bad time for the city economically, which makes it harder to sell out stadiums - I don't know how much that plays into things.

quote:
I still say Vancouver fans are the worst, but maybe not quite as bad as I once thought.

Fair enough I suppose. I actually do think that there is a very distinct difference between hating the team and hating the fan. I hate the Leafs as well, but recognize that they have as good and rabid a fan base as any team in Canada. Hockey anywhere is nothing without the fans.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7924
( )

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  09:14:18  Reply with Quote
As a Leaf Fan...I can honestly say that Habs fans and Leaf fans are die hard. The only thing about the majority of leaf fands in the GTA is their terrible hockey fans. The ACC sells out the majority of the season yet the Toronto Marlies avarage a couple thousand.

Worst fans have got to be Canuck fans though. They make me sick.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3039
( )

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  00:10:42  Reply with Quote
I say the worst fans in Canada, whoever that may be, are still better than the best fans in the US. Am I wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  22:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate polls / topics like this because it basically ends up being a what team do you hate sort of topic? I mean, c'mon, how can Toronto fans be up near the top? The only reason they could possibly be that high is jealousy from other fans of the fact that so many turn up at road games. But, like some have mentioned, this is due to their longevity moreso than their success. Like nuxfan, i was raised a Habs fan due to the fact that my father cheered for them far before the Canucks existed!

As for Canucks fans, i'm the first to admit, there's thousands of terrible ones! Then, there's the bandwagoners, those who more than likely were the cause of the riots here in '94. These are the clowns who become fans as of April and ride the wave of emotion through the playoffs. Yes, there's others like the guy Beans described who was ripping up his flag one day and laying claim to the cup the next! No matter who argues what though, every city has these types of fans and yes, maybe some more than others? But to compare where fans come from and how far is silly. As nuxfan pointed out, we've got a border on one side, an ocean on one and limited access to anywhere north of here. There's really only one way in/out of Vancouver and even that SUCKS in a huge way! Sh!t, you'd have to leave Chilliwack (an hour from here) at noon to attend a 7pm game with how busy the hwy gets!!! Come from Victorie, you gotta deal with a ferry and likely the cost of a night in a hotel.

I won't bother going on as i think a few people have commented enough and hit the main points.

Slozo, thanks for noting and / or mentioning that us Canucks fans here at PUH are true fans.

Beans, careful with who you're calling the kettle and who's the pot.........the following is from a blog of a former local radio guy (not sports radio) who's now in Calgary i hear, but i assume the comments from Mark Donnelly himself are legit (look to be from an article in the Province newspaper)? The clip you supplied said the game was from the 06 playoffs vs Anaheim. Say's here, from Donnelly himself that the first time he did it was in '02 vs Detroit?

Here's a portion of the blog and the link if interested......

Mark Donnelly, is a member of the Vancouver Opera Chorus and he is the Vancouver Canucks ace in the hole for these 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

He’s the anthem singer who doesn’t sing the whole anthem, and when it first happened in the 2002 playoffs vs the Detroit Red Wings, he was a little nervous about the tactic.

But I must confess, when it was first suggested to me in the 2002 playoffs against Detroit that I turn the mike over to you for part of “O Canada,” I was skeptical about your ability to carry the ball. After all, Canadians were not known for showing their patriotism through singing. “O Canada” was for the Legion or Canadian Forces bands. Or “the singer.” Why should I turn the mike over to what might be . . . no sound?

Brian Keating, the Hockey Night in Canada producer, said, “Well, Mark, it’s your call.” My call was to keep the mike. But an unexpected thing happened: I decided to listen to you to see if you really were singing. And guess what? You were! Was this the first time or were you singing all along? I don’t know. I guess I never stopped to listen. (I’ve been accused of that often.) Anyway, I thought, “I’ll give it a shot; I’ll give the fans the mike.”
[The Province, April 29, 2007]

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Touche. I did not realize that about the 02 playoffs. However, the Oilers did it during their playoff run only. Vancouver does it every single home game I see on TV.

I find it cheezy any arrogant. Kind of acting like the Vancouver fans now own that and are Canada's team.

But ya'll know how my negative bias towards Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  11:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vancouver does it every single home game I see on TV.

Only Mark Donnelly does this - on the rare occasions when Richard Loney sings the anthem (he was the regular anthem man back in the day) we get the usual. AFAIK, we are the only Canadian team that does this on a (semi) regular basis. I don't know if I'd call it ownership, any other team and fan base could do something similar if they wanted

Beans, you find it cheesy and arrogant that a professional opera singer tries to put some passion into the national anthem, and encourages a crowd of 18000+ to sing along to said anthem?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  14:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, I find it cheezy that a pro sports team has a incredibly odd looking Opera singer to start with. Secondly, I find it arrogant that a team takes ownership of the National Anthem through the regular season when there are 5 other teams from the same country playing.

I recall the Edmonton thing starting gaining shape into the first round of the playoffs, but by the 3rd round of the playoffs when things were really crazy, I don't believe there was another Canadian team left. Secondly, I also recall the Oiler fans signing the American Anthem loudly after the fan in Anaheim were booing during the Canadian anthem. It was just classy.

But again, I am opening stating my negative bias towards the Canucks. I literally change the channel while the Anthem's in Vancouver because I really can't stand that opera guy. That being said, Paul Lorieau in Edmonton can't sing a lick either.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  14:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hm. I honestly don't get the "ownership" thing... the anthem gets sung at every stadium before every game. Vancouver does it their way, other teams do it their own way. Never once have I thought "man, Vancouver really OWNS this anthem" as I was singing before the game. Nor do I torch other teams that do it their way. Your hate for all things Vancouver is strong kimosabe.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  17:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
[Your hate for all things Vancouver is strong kimosabe.

BINGO!

Beans, please do explain the ownership thing? I don't get it either. Nowhere have i seen it expressed in writing or verbally that the anthem, nor the way Mark Donnelly sings it with audience participation, has been claimed by the Canucks???

It seems to me that way back in the playoffs in 1982, a Canucks coach named Roger Nielson decided to wave a white towel on the end of a hockey stick to protest what he felt was poor calls against his team. This led to Canucks fans waving white towels. How many other teams do similar things now? Did the Canucks not stamp ownership on that one?
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  06:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha saku steen......coming from a guy who has two terrible players as his name you really shouldnt even get an opinion. "most leaf fans barely know anything about hockey" this is the reason why i picked montreal over the ignorant fans in vancouver. because the french are rude in general not to mention when it comes to hockey they think they are the greatest things in the world which is not the case at all. montreal is only good for one thing and that is the dirty women. i just cant get over the fact that a guy whos name is Saku Steen can say that leaf fans dont know anything about hockey while saku sucks big time and is a nobody compared to his brother and steen came from the leafs you idiot...obviously you are in the closet because if you're such a huge steen fan then you would have to watch leaf games ( now st louis) this guy really pissd me off. vancouver for booing team canada in 72....montreal for being rude ever since (and before im sure!)
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  07:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and easy there alex.......are you seriously trying to call waving a white towel around vancouvers idea????????? this is insane you guys are almost as bad as habs fans..
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  10:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deaner, who is saku steen?

quote:

and easy there alex.......are you seriously trying to call waving a white towel around vancouvers idea????????? this is insane you guys are almost as bad as habs fans..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Power
"The Vancouver Canucks tradition of "Towel Power" has its origins during the 1982 Stanley Cup Playoffs in a game against the Chicago Black Hawks, when Vancouver coach Roger Neilson, fed up with the performance of the officials in the game, placed a white towel on the end of a hockey stick and held it up like a white flag in mock surrender"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_White_Out
"The Vancouver Canucks started a tradition of waving white towels during the playoffs in 1982, three years prior to the Winnipeg Jets starting their own tradition. "

I can find more, but I have to go out...
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  12:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok buddy its twirlin a friggin white towel around...im sure somebody in the world had done it before your canucks. i notice how nuxfan comes runnin to back up alex, what are you guys the sedins????? check earlier posts to find saku steen...
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  20:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok buddy its twirlin a friggin white towel around...im sure somebody in the world had done it before your canucks. i notice how nuxfan comes runnin to back up alex, what are you guys the sedins????? check earlier posts to find saku steen...

the only reference I can find to any towel waiving before the Canucks is the Steelers and "terrible towels" of the 1970's. I only found a reference for one year, and the towels were yellow and black. And then the Canucks.

Before that, I find nothing - let me know if you find something that proves me wrong. Until then, it looks like Vancovuer started the tradition of towel waiving in the NHL, and white towel waiving period.

Yes, Alex and I are the Sedins. Can't you hear my Swedish accent?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  20:49:05  Reply with Quote
what are you talking about.....the French invited waving the white towel theyve been doing it for hundreds of years.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9023
( )

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  02:31:49  Reply with Quote
k, so nobody replied to my comment about the soccer chant.... Please tell me that someone else thinks that a soccer chant at a hockey game isn't one of the most embarrassing things ever ...ole ole ole ole....... what the hell is that anyway, if they are trying to pull the old "we are from Montreal and we are more European than Canadian" than why not get a soccer team...? ole ole ole ole..... makes me want to rip my own hair out... holy crap, i know someone agrees w me....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Montreal have a soccer team??? The Montreal Impact??

Regardless, I am not a huge fan of the Ole chant, however they are the only North American hockey team to do it. At least they have something that is their own and no one will really want to steal.

As far as this thread, I mean no disrespect to anyone. As said before, there are good and bad fans for every group. I have my reasons and they can not, nor need to be justified. I can't stand Vancouver and most anything tied to the Canucks. Also as previously stated, there are some really great Canuck fans on this site. There are also some very annoying, "WE are the best in the world" kind of fans too.

Anyway, it has been fun.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  11:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the "OLE OLE OLE OLE" chant of the Montreal Canadiens being stolen from soccer, watch some European hockey games when you have a chance.

I find it amazing how loud they get, and they chant. I love that they are loud and proud no matter how their team is doing by using horns, drums, and singing!(BTW: chanting Ole is cheesy for hockey, I agree, but there are many other chants and songs that are amazing to hear that hockey could adopt!)

Nothing drives me crazier than watching the fans at Rexall sit in a dumbfounded silence through my television set when they should be cheering their heads off!

(Of course, through TV the fans seem a lot quieter, but you can definitely hear them cheer for goals and fights, and much less so during play, especially when the team is losing in a close game and they should be cheering them on!)
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  12:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ole, ole, ole chant is a bit annoying, yes. But, to me, it shows support for their team which is in my opinion, is great!

So fans chanting very loud, no matter the chant (providing it's not derogatory or anything), is awesome!

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  17:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

Nothing drives me crazier than watching the fans at Rexall sit in a dumbfounded silence through my television set when they should be cheering their heads off!

Have you watched the Oilers play in the past 2 years?? Not much to cheer about. Of course it's quiet when Edmonton is down 4-1 with 3 minutes left. Most of the fans are gone!!
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  19:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to say sens fans are the worst for the way they boo Spezza. Sure he makes a lot of mistakes but they should be able to put up with that when he scores a lot of points.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Sens fan, I must say I have never booed Spezza. Or, any other Sen for that matter.

In fact, I am likely one of few Ottawa Senators fans left who still actually likes and supports Heatley. He is one of my favorite players, and will remain that way. Sadly, he left my favorite team though. Zdeno Chara is also a favorite player of mine, who also, has parted ways with the Sens.

Perhaps I have to stop liking players on the Sens, and they'll stay with the Club... hmm...

As for Spezza... I've never had an issue with him. I'm actually shocked at Sens fans wanting to trade him. He produces points. He suffered injuries last season, causing a drop in production. But, even with those injuries and without his ex-linemate & sniper, Heatley, he still produced just fine. Especially, once he returned from his last injury. It was healed, and it showed.

Spezza is a talented young playmaker. Trading him from the Sens, would not be beneficial in my opinion. Those wanting him gone, should re-think and re-evaluate his talents and actual impact to the Sens.

Due to his salary, his return value would not be worth the movement to begin with. He's worth far more as a Sen, than the return would be.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Beans: Duh! I realize that, and that's exactly my point. I hate it that fans leave. If I would pay money for a game, I would still cheer for my team for the whole game (expcept for blowout games, and the whole of last year).

Maybe I'm just naive, but I thought fan was short for fanatic, which means you support your team (at least when they are playing on the ice) no matter what, expecting the impossible and providing moral support for your team.

I understand why people leave, especially blowout games, but is 4-1(which I assume you used as an arbitrary example) with 3min lefts when you leave? Because a goal a minute is not impossible, highly improbable, but possible, so cheer your guys on, and hope you'll see something impossible.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  00:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the Ole chant. I agree with whoever it was that said as long as your cheering for your team, it's a good thing (or something like that?). Maybe it's not the most original, but c'mon, every cheer started somewhere and after that, every other person or group of fans who do it is "ripping it off" i guess. Let's face it, someone, somewhere in some city started the na na na na, hey hey thing and yet EVERY rink does it from time to time! Does it really matter?

quote:
Originally posted by Deaner

Deaner.....nice job commenting on "Saku Steen's" post from three and a half freakin' years ago! Really not too relevant. As for my comment about the white towel, i was simply using it as an example and with the help of my Sedin twin....errrrrr....nuxfan, maybe you'll realize that it's Canuck fans who were credited with bringing that tradition to NHL arenas. I don't even know if it's true but from what i've read, it originated here. Do i care if fans in other cities do it, no! I'm just careful to call someone or some city and their fans out for "ripping" something from another team/city/fans.

Really, a thread like this is a pot stirrer, if that's even a word? It's an open chance for people to slag one another for stupid reasons. Shame on whoever revived this thing

I can respect the fact that Beans hates the Canucks, their fans, etc. mostly because he's made it clear here and i believe him, that he respects the Canuck fans on this site. Well, at least some of them, and i'd like to believe i'm one of them.

Threads like this really do nothing but create controversy.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest5954
( )

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  15:44:32  Reply with Quote
looks like the oilers have the best fans in the league
all canadian teams have better fans then american ones and the oil have the least votes in this
Go to Top of Page

Guest4159
( )

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  09:47:58  Reply with Quote
Yeah...nice white towels Edmonton....where'd you get that idea from?

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

If you want to hear vocal fans, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

Sound familiar??? Vancouver ripped off Edmonton on this big time. The only time this was cool in Vancouver was during the Olympics. Other than that...........

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  12:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you can call them all the "worst" fans in Canada but some Montreal fans need to give there head a shake. Booing Price in a pre-season game, not only that but the first pre-season game...c'mon. Granted he had a terrible game but do you fans in Montreal realize he is your #1 goalie this year? I'm pretty sure that doesn't help his confidence. I wonder if he is ruing the day he signed his new contract. I guess I should just "chill out" about all this.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  15:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote on worst fans goes to Toronto. I've been down to alot of Bruins / Toronto games and it's pathetic. It's so gaged to corporate it''s not funny. I had tix once to platinums and we were told to keep it down or get booted..........are you kidding me????

"Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  16:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Toxxic - those aren't fans. Your powers of observation have to improve, my friend . . . sitting in the stands of a place that fills it with 80% corporate seats gives you zero sense of the real fanbase of Toronto, most of whom can only dream of going to a game.

. . . next time you are in Toronto, go to a SPORTS BAR and watch a mid season hockey game, hopefully against a team like Columbus - a real "slow night", so to speak, hockey-wise.

Then you will see.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  03:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100% agreed Slozo. We did end up leaving and went to Gretzky's place and had a blast. It's just a shame that it is all corporate, doesn't give the fans the seats to make noise.

Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  08:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

My vote on worst fans goes to Toronto. I've been down to alot of Bruins / Toronto games and it's pathetic. It's so gaged to corporate it''s not funny. I had tix once to platinums and we were told to keep it down or get booted..........are you kidding me????

I am a little surprised that you say a Leafs/Bruins game was pathetic. Usually when the Habs, Bruins or Sens are in town the place is pretty hoppin. You were sitting the platinums however and they all think they are the most sophisticated fans in the hockey world and often ruin the experience the regular fans.
If you want the real Leafs fan experience at the game, buy tickets to the upper bowl. It is a totally different experience up there with the regular folk and it gets loud sometimes and nobody up there tells you keep it down
I agree the lower bowl is too corporate and full of stiffy white collared, 3 piece suits that don't even watch the game. Heck they don't even make it back to their platinum seats before the start of each period because they aren't done with the caviar and champagne in their VIP room. I consider these Leaf fans the worst in the league, not all Leaf fans.
I have had great experiences watching the game at the Loose Moose on Front St.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  09:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a lot of laptops, crackberries and other electronic gizzmo's. Most of those stiffs never looked up most of the game, They were free tix given to me by my boss, so i had to take them !! And ya, never down there again, upper bowl for sure. Oh, and by the way, I didn't say the Leafs and Bruins were pathetic, it's the 3 piece suited fans in platinums that are.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 09/25/2010 09:26:09
Go to Top of Page

Guest0362
( )

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  10:05:40  Reply with Quote
Leaf nation for sure - Very loyal fans that know nothing about hockey. Love them in my hockey pools because they couldn't tell you the top 2 players of any team and don't have 2 top players themselves. People continually buy tickets to a less than NHL caliber team and don't demand a better product. Half the fans that are able to afford going to the game are there for the social aspect not the team. Most of the real fans are at home watching at home on TV for free. And now the satelite and Rogers Cable are trying to take free aspect away from the real fans and make it like the NY Yankees games pay per view. It is coming sooner than you think. You will either have to buy Leaf TV or Rogers Sports channel which is not included with all the rest of the sports channels. Soon there will be no true Toronto fans.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0362

Leaf nation for sure - Very loyal fans that know nothing about hockey. Love them in my hockey pools because they couldn't tell you the top 2 players of any team and don't have 2 top players themselves. People continually buy tickets to a less than NHL caliber team and don't demand a better product. Half the fans that are able to afford going to the game are there for the social aspect not the team. Most of the real fans are at home watching at home on TV for free. And now the satelite and Rogers Cable are trying to take free aspect away from the real fans and make it like the NY Yankees games pay per view. It is coming sooner than you think. You will either have to buy Leaf TV or Rogers Sports channel which is not included with all the rest of the sports channels. Soon there will be no true Toronto fans.

As long as CBC is airing Leafs games on Saturday nights I'll be happy as those are the only games I can get unless they are here playing the Oilers or Flames. CBC has the Leafs scheduled for 24 games this year and I think the reason for it is because Leafs Nation is wide spread and very good for ratings and I don't see CBC stopping this trend.

I've had the Center Ice package before and it was great but it is quite pricey, at least that's what my wife thinks. If what you say is true about a PPV format coming soon that probably would be the worst corporate decision ever made. I remember talking last year about if the Flames or Oilers could warrant having their own channel and it pretty well ended in a resounding no. Hence why they had PPV's, and I never understood that.

I sure wish I could get Leafs TV (12 games this season) at $2 a month, that is way better than having to pay $15.95 a PPV game like we used to here in Alberta for up to 16 Oilers or Flames games each a season. Now they have done away with PPV and essentially the Oilers and Flames kind of did get their own channel...Sportsnet One. It's free right now but it will cost something after Oct. 31/10. Die hard Edmonton and Calgary fans will add this channel to their line-up gauranteed as will I. I'm thinking the PPV's were losing money and something had to be done.

I believe as long as CBC and Leafs TV are around there will never be Leafs PPV. Why would they not just add more games to Leafs TV so more people purchased that channel? If they could market Leafs TV outside of the Ontario region I would bet they would triple their viewership as there are True Toronto fans everywhere and there always will be.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  21:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still lost when it comes to this Sportsnet 1 / ppv thing? I don't get it at all, and i'll admit, it's my own fault. I absolutely hate Shaw Cable. I have it only because i hate it slightly less than i do Telus! Don't even get me started!!!

Heard this Sportsnet One thing was gonna cost me 5 bucks a month? I'll def add it, but begrudgingly. Not because 5 bucks hurts me, just i hate giving Shaw more money!

Next year, if it stays at 5 bucks a month, i figure Beans will be paying for most of my season . J/K of course, if i win his money, it goes straight to beers!
Go to Top of Page

nux-suk
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  12:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to admit that anything Vancouver has done is their own original idea but........they did. BC Lions also invented the WAVE in the crowd. I guess they desreve credit where it is due, however, that credit is also given in the form of WORST fans in Canada. Hi Alex116, I am back to harass you for another 9 months!!haha
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  14:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back.....i suppose?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  15:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there should probably be some sort of rule that you can't trash talk until your team has won a game in the regular season...or has scored a goal...or has won a fight. Some sort of quality control.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0823
( )

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:07:23  Reply with Quote
All the fans in Vancouver are from other places like Calagry and that stuff... If you go around to the houses and everything though you can see familys watching the game and tape recording them. Also if you go to a 'nucks game they dont leave with 15 minutes left in the game when its 5-1 or something like that. I've watched hockey games where toronto fans leave with 15 minutes left in the game. Now thats a bad fan!!!

CANUCKS FOREVER AND EVER!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page