Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 RFA compensation to change? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  14:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read an article that says the compensation paid for signing restricted free agents is changing for this year and it may inspire more teams to actually make offers? Here's what they say it's going to be:

2011 restricted free agent compensation
An offer with a $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

More than $1,034,249 -- $1,567,043: Third-round pick

More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: Second-round pick

More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

More than $4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

More than $6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

More than $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

I'm not fully up to date on what the compensation is currently and if this is a big change or not but it's being reported in the Sporting News (online). Anyone else hear anything about this?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-05-25/compensation-adjustment-could-lead-to-more-offers-for-restricted-free-agents

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the compensation amounts have steadily gone down through the life of the CBA, so this year is no different than others. To see a list of the last 3 years of compensation, see http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2009/09/11/compensation-for-signing-a-nhl-restricted-free-agent/

You will note that the compensatory picks have stayed the same, but the salary ranges for those picks have increased - thereby allowing teams to offer more money without giving up more picks.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  16:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The range of up to $4.7 million for a 1st and 3rd rounder is appealing for sure!

There is also a 'unwritten rule' that offer sheets are dirty pool. GM's seem to think dirty bags go after other players. I hope this changes as these compensations become more realistic for the value of the contract.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  16:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, the article did mention the lack of big name UFA's this year, so perhaps the GM's will be forced to go after RFA's if they wanna improve their teams?

Really tough for the not so appealing teams as they really do have to overpay and that's where the "matching" GM will get most po'd!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  20:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 1.5 to 3 or so milion is very interssting imo, for example Max Pacioretty is a RFA this year but this year was also his first year of good productions in the NHL showing his upside so his contract from the habs will not be over 3 million but a team could perhaps catch lighting in a bottle with a player like Pacioretty and only give up a 2nd round pick, granted in a situation like this most teams would match the offer...

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  23:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

the 1.5 to 3 or so milion is very interssting imo, for example Max Pacioretty is a RFA this year but this year was also his first year of good productions in the NHL showing his upside so his contract from the habs will not be over 3 million but a team could perhaps catch lighting in a bottle with a player like Pacioretty and only give up a 2nd round pick, granted in a situation like this most teams would match the offer...

The reality is that teams almost always match the RFA offer sheets - esp when they have the cap room to do so, which MTL does. I could not see them letting Pacioretty get away for any less than a 1.5M offer sheet.

However, some teams will be vulnerable to offer sheets this offseason. Some that come to mind:

- PIT have 3.7M to sign 6 players for next season, and Kennedy is RFA, he could probably eat half that money on his own.

- CHI have 5.7M to sign 8 players, RFA's include Troy Brower, Michael Frolik, Stalberg, and Chris Campoli

- SJ have 7.5M to sign 9 players, Setoguchi will be hard to keep.

- VAN may see an offer sheet for Jannik Hansen, although they'd probably match it.

- NYR, although they have a lot of cap space, also have 4 great RFA's in Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Boyle. They could eat up a lot of the 16M in cap space that they have.

- LA, 11M to sign 8 players, and they have the most coveted RFA of all in Doughty - I'd be surprised if someone didn't take a run at him. Also Moller and Simmonds are RFA.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4312
( )

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  08:49:15  Reply with Quote
all good points but you gotta think the teams with the money to throw at a player (lets use doughty for example) are also teams in the lower half of the standings.
my guess is doughty falls in the range of:
$4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

for doughty probably still worth it, but whos to say he couldn't be offered even more money than that. respect of other gm's and the loss of prospects is a lot to give up
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  09:50:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

There is also a 'unwritten rule' that offer sheets are dirty pool. GM's seem to think dirty bags go after other players. I hope this changes as these compensations become more realistic for the value of the contract.

I don't get "unwritten rules" most of the time, and this one, I don't get at all. The GMs provide input into the CBA (along with the NHLPA), and after a deal is made between both parties, there should be no dispute or disillusionment when another team (who follows the rules) provides an offer sheet to an RFA. (Especially with the compensation of draft picks currently in place.)

I remember when the Oilers made offers to Thomas Vanek (which was matched by Buffalo) and Dustin Penner (which was not matched by Anaheim). I think it was Brian Burke who expressed his displeasure at Kevin Lowe for signing Dustin Penner, but the Ducks had the opportunity to match the offer sheet, and when they didn't, they received the draft picks as compensation.

I think the rules are well spelled out, and for GM's to cry "dirty pool" is a stretch. The rules are the rules, and if the same thing happened in reverse (let's say someone wants to sign Taylor Hall when he becomes an RFA), the Oilers should not complain.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't get "unwritten rules" most of the time, and this one, I don't get at all. The GMs provide input into the CBA (along with the NHLPA), and after a deal is made between both parties, there should be no dispute or disillusionment when another team (who follows the rules) provides an offer sheet to an RFA. (Especially with the compensation of draft picks currently in place.)

I remember when the Oilers made offers to Thomas Vanek (which was matched by Buffalo) and Dustin Penner (which was not matched by Anaheim). I think it was Brian Burke who expressed his displeasure at Kevin Lowe for signing Dustin Penner, but the Ducks had the opportunity to match the offer sheet, and when they didn't, they received the draft picks as compensation.

I think the rules are well spelled out, and for GM's to cry "dirty pool" is a stretch. The rules are the rules, and if the same thing happened in reverse (let's say someone wants to sign Taylor Hall when he becomes an RFA), the Oilers should not complain.

I agree completely. The original team has the time from the start of the season the year prior to a player becoming a FA of any kind to sign them. If a GM doesn't do their job, they shouldn't complain when their players get signed to offer sheets.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page