Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Boston[s][/s] Vancouver Pizza Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  09:13:09  Reply with Quote
I heard that Boston Pizza has unofficially changed the name of its restaurants (in Vancouver) from Boston Pizza to Vancouver Pizza. (I believe they did the same thing during the Boston-Montreal series.)

Very neat idea. I'm glad they're not playing Buffalo, because I really like Boston Pizza's buffalo wings! :)

I bet the mood in Vancouver is electric right now! I have a question for the people in Vancouver. How does this compare to the Olympics? I know they're two entirely different events, and at different times of the year, etc., but does one jump out as being a bigger event?

For those who were in Calgary for the Winter Olympics in 1988 (and around for the Stanley Cup in 1989), how would you rate the two events?

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  09:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did the same thing vs SJ - we have a local chain of clubs called the "Shark Club", which got changed to the "Vancouver Club" during round 3. All just part of the sideshow. Apparently the BP people had a plan for this for quite some time, when it became apparent that BOS might be a team we eventually faced in a playoff series.

The city is sort of subdued right now, I think the long gap between games has been a bit of a downer, people are just anxious for the series to begin. No shortage of news, stories etc. Once things get going though, I expect it to be hopping all over town. People have already started rearranging schedules for the next 2 weeks for game nights - I've had countless 3pm meetings moved to different days, evening events changed, etc.

There is no comparison to the Olympics, at least not yet - the Olympics were a phenomenal event that went full bore, every day, all day. The playoffs have only come close on actual game days, when the Canucks win. Things might pickup more in the finals, and if the Canucks win it will be nuts, but I'd be surprised if we approached the Vancouver we saw during the gold medal game.

I was in Calgary for both the Olympics and their Stanley Cup win in 1989. I don't recall the cup run being as electric as the Olympics back then either.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  09:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great question (regarding the comparison to the Olympics). While i do see pretty much as many Canucks flags on vehicles and buildings, etc as i did Canada ones, nuxfan is correct, the buzz around the Olympics was like nothing else! It was an all day everyday even for the entire Olympics and it was unreal.

This break has the city anxious to get back to watching the games and a "let's get this thing going" sort of feel/attitude around town!

It will be very interesting to see the numbers of people in the streets IF the Canucks do in fact win and compare it to the Gold Medal game. I'm guessing the main area of town (Robson/Granville) will be just as nuts but the crowds will probable taper out as you get further and further away. The difference with the Olympics was not just the extra people (tourists) but the fact that even non hockey fans were out rejoicing that night as the Olympics came to a close! Now, a lot of those people who were out partying in the streets, may not be interested in the Canucks or hockey in general and thus choose to stay home?

If they do go on to win though, there's no denying it will be a HUGE party one way or the other! Here's hoping that if it doesn't go the Canucks way, there's no, or at least limited, idiocy leading to problems like we saw back in '94. There will always be a handful of clowns acting as such, but let's just hope it's minor. After all, it is just a game, no?

Oh, one more thing, i heard that during round 2, Predator Ridge Golf and Country Club in Vernon BC changed it's name to Vancouver Ridge.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  11:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting question. With the Olympics there was a long build up as construction crews and event organizers were rushing around madly trying to get things done. The media for the Olympics was off the charts and everyone was really amped. It was a month long party really, where it was like the Canucks won the cup EVERYNIGHT. It was a city that was electric everynight and the intensity from everyone (not jsut hockey fans) was mind-blowing.

I think Nuxfan is right, the city is a little subdued right now from the break, but I think it's the calm before the storm. It's going to go off in a couple days when the action starts up again! But like the Olympics you can feel the energy building and it has been building since mid-march. If, and I mean IF, the Canucks win we'll see a pretty epic party for a few days. If you think Canuck fans are boisterous now you haven't seen anything yet (oh joy! ) My wife is even starting to annoy me. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  11:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and as great of a marketing campaign that Boston Pizza is conducting, by changing it's name it's also a self-preservation ploy.This way people don't avoid your business like the plague, and in fact you even encourage people to come spend instead.

And then, even more importantly, in a city like Vancouver (and Montreal) that has a reputation for rioting over it's hockey you don't want to stand out as a corporation that is supporting the opposition.

Good move BP execs!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  13:31:07  Reply with Quote
Good points Leigh. Thanks to Nuxfan and Alex for your insight as well! It's fans like you which make non-Canucks fans want to cheer for Vancouver.

I've been cheering for Vancouver since the beginning of the playoffs. I'm from Edmonton, but it's hard to be an Oilers fans in the playoffs the last number of years.

I consider myself more a fan of the game, so it's kinda nice watching hockey without a clear preference toward either team in any of the playoff matchups.

Once again, I really like Vancouver (in part, because it's a Canadian team), but moreso because of how they're playing.

It was the same thing when the Oilers were in their heyday. I felt I was watching (and cheering) for the best team (and athletes) in my favourite sport. I couldn't quite get (except from the standpoint of hometown support) fans who cheered for bottom-dwellers? I understand loyalty toward your favourite hockey team, but once in a while, you gotta admire a different team, especially if they are playing like the Canucks are playing!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  13:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The folks on one of Edmonton's morning shows were talking about this Vancouver Pizza thing this morning. The question they raised was what would be on a "Vancouver" Pizza. Some of the toppings suggested were salmon, 'mushrooms', other special 'herbs', etc. The jokes were flying.

The funniest one I heard was from the male anchor on the show who said, "I don't know what all would be on the pizza but it would be certain that anyone from Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal would get sick from eat it!!"

Great laugh for the morning
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  15:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The funniest one I heard was from the male anchor on the show who said, "I don't know what all would be on the pizza but it would be certain that anyone from Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal would get sick from eat it!!"

Thats how we'd know it was perfect
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4178....welcome aboard the bandwagon! And thanks for the kind words!

Beans, funny stuff, especially the "special herbs", didn't take me long to figure that out! Salmon? Yikes, love it, but not anywhere near a pizza thank you!

I'm curious how far these places are taking it. Has the Shark Club(s) changed it's signage? I don't gather they'll go out and buy an expensive lit up "Vancouver Club" sign but have they even thrown a banner over the other one? How about Boston Pizza's? Are they covering their real signs? Haven't been by to notice yet?

With all the crap about business's hanging Canucks signs and business getting crap during the Olympics for infringements and stuff like that, i'm surprised the real "Vancouver Club" isn't suing the Shark Club! There is actually a club called "The Vancouver Club", a private, members only place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page