Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Gilbert Brule picks up Bono the Hitchhiker Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  09:54:18  Reply with Quote
At last night's U2 concert in Edmonton, Bono acknowledged Gilbert Brule of the Oilers who picked him up while he was hitchhiking in the Vancouver area on Tuesday.

Brule was with girlfriend at the time, and they came upon Bono (and his assistant) who got caught in the rain as they were returning to Horseshoe Bay.

In appreciation for the ride, Bono gave Brule and his girlfriend tickets to their show on Wednesday night (along with backstage passes), and while Brule had tickets to see Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, he gave up his hockey tickets, and returned to Edmonton to see Bono and U2 perform at Commonwealth Stadium last night.

Bono even acknowledged what took place during the show last night saying "I like ice hockey because people who play ice hockey are the kind of people who pick up hitchhikers," and then added "I'm ever so grateful. I've decided that I want to be Gilbert Brule."

Guest9504
( )

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  10:15:01  Reply with Quote
Is this for real? That's a great story. Were you at the concert (is this first hand info?)
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  10:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool story! Here's the full story from the Vancouver Sun:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/star+Gilbert+Brule+gave+lift+hitchhiking+singer+Bono+West+Vancouver+Tuesday/4880360/story.html
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  12:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the U2 show in Edmonton and I thought this story was bogus. Bono totally butchered the names of a number of Oiler greats in the typical rock show "Hello Springfield, we love you" portion. I thought this was just part of the schtick.

Good on Bono for the backstage passes and good on Brule for selling those garbage tickets.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  13:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Brule was with girlfriend at the time, and they came upon Bono (and his assistant) who got caught in the rain as they were returning to Horseshoe Bay.

I drove right by him just before that - don't stop for hitchhikers in this town, even if they're Bono...

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool story! Can't wait to see U2/Arcade Fire on July 30th!!
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  20:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool story, kind of by chance, I mean what are the chances of that?

Great concert by the way!

Making the world more awesome, one step at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  21:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i'd passed him, i'd have prob said, "that looked like Bono" rather than "That IS Bono"! I just never expect to see celebrities, even though we get a ton of them here in Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  12:23:44  Reply with Quote
What do you call it when a hockey pro provides a free ride to U2's lead singer?

Pro Bono!

(Sorry about that. I know it's a bit of a groaner.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page