Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Burrows bites Bergeron? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  10:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So apparently Alex Burrows bit Patrice Bergeron during a scrum in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals. You guys think Burrows will get suspended?

Personally, I don't think he will. Can't really see anything on the replay of the incident and really - why was Bergeron putting his fingers in Burrows' mouth in the first place. Gross.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  10:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my take......i think, if he did in fact bite him, which i "believe/think" he did, then he deserves to sit one game. Problem is, this isn't like Tyson biting off Holyfield's ear and spitting it to the canvas. What i'm getting at is, there's no real proof that he bit him. Again, before i get deemed "biased", i think he probably did! I just don't see how they can prove it?

Found it funny to hear Bergeron was walking around with a bandage on his finger after the game. I mean, really? If he did in fact bite him, it surely couldn't have been hard enough to break skin through a hockey glove could it???

Likely just some more gamesmanship.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  13:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Pierre Mcguire who I believe was at ice level Bergeron's finger was in fact bleeding.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  13:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really Beans? You show up on here over an hour ago, and not a single comment on a hungry Burrows? I know you've pretty much covered your dislike for him, but c'mon, he just fed you with some ammo. Or maybe Bergeron did the feeding? I dunno?

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  13:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex - the comment above is sensfan, not beans....these avatars swtiches are screwing everyone up...

bite, no bite, whatever. Bergeron shoved his fingers into Burrows mouth while they were jabbering at each other, what did he think was going to happen? Burrows didn't go out of his way to bite Bergeron's finger, nor did he particularly even want them in his face.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  14:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i hate the face wash so much i think bitieing should be legal if somone is sticking there hand in your face while the ref holds you back ... the worst part is im completely serious if you`re gonna face wash someone accept the fact that you may get bitten

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  14:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Alex - the comment above is sensfan, not beans....these avatars swtiches are screwing everyone up...

bite, no bite, whatever. Bergeron shoved his fingers into Burrows mouth while they were jabbering at each other, what did he think was going to happen? Burrows didn't go out of his way to bite Bergeron's finger, nor did he particularly even want them in his face.

nuxfan.......it wasn't the "sensfan" comment i was referring to. Beans posted in the Colin Campbell thread (i think that was the one?) about an hour before i commented. Sensfan's post and mine were within seconds of one another. Beans was here! There's been a Beans sighting!!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  16:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, sorry alex, didn't realize. I have mistaken sensfan for beans as well recently, thought you did the same.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  11:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

personally i hate the face wash so much i think bitieing should be legal if somone is sticking there hand in your face while the ref holds you back ... the worst part is im completely serious if you`re gonna face wash someone accept the fact that you may get bitten

I couldn't agree more with you Pasty. Gloves are disgusting, you may as well grab your jock and stick it in someone's face. Besides, Burrows barely took a nibble. Yup, stick your fingers in someones mouth and they have the right to bite down...it's practically an automatic reaction. Like Alex said, he didn't Tyson him, he just bit down hard enough to force Bergeron to stop being a jerkoff.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  11:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never watched the game or seen any specific highlights of this situation so I can't really comment. Speaking generally, I classify biting in the same groups as eye gouging, kicking someone in the junk, and talking about someone's Momma.

In a word, unacceptable.

But I also see the point that if Bergeron was asking for someone, he shouldn't complain when he gets it. I just think I would prefer the old punch to the face over biting. But hey, that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  12:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I never watched the game or seen any specific highlights of this situation so I can't really comment. Speaking generally, I classify biting in the same groups as eye gouging, kicking someone in the junk, and talking about someone's Momma.

In a word, unacceptable.

But I also see the point that if Bergeron was asking for someone, he shouldn't complain when he gets it. I just think I would prefer the old punch to the face over biting. But hey, that's just me.

A punch would have sufficed as well. If Burrows bit down with the intent of hurting him or removing his finger then I would agree with you but it really was just a little pressure to tell him that the face wash was unacceptable. Both acts are juvenile. I think the bite was a punishment that fit the crime (although I didn't see the lead up to the tussle so can't comment on that)
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  18:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

In a word, unacceptable.

Beans i can agree with you on this in a certain context... for example in the context of the burrows incident though burrows is kinda tied up, i agree biteing like you said should be unaaceptable but i deem the face wash just as unacceptable and should be penalized harshly,, i m serious the play is over,, if tyhe guy pissed you off fight him or shove him, if you put your hands in his face and continu after the play 4 min in the box minium,

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  00:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone see what Lapierre did tonight to Bergeron? I laughed so hard! There was a scrum after the whistle and he offered Bergeron a free bite in his finger to even the score. Of course hit did it with that trademark Lapierre grin. I burst out laughing, Bergeron didnt find it so funnyy. He didn't take him up on the offer, instead slapping his hand out of the way. Brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  01:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Did anyone see what Lapierre did tonight to Bergeron? I laughed so hard! There was a scrum after the whistle and he offered Bergeron a free bite in his finger to even the score. Of course hit did it with that trademark Lapierre grin. I burst out laughing, Bergeron didnt find it so funnyy. He didn't take him up on the offer, instead slapping his hand out of the way. Brilliant.

haha i had the same reaction leigh Like him or hate him Lapierre has been a very effective player for the nucks in the playoffs and he was last year for the habs aswell, he doesn't take to many bad penalties, skates well and is defensivly responsible with a little offensive upside, plus he doesn't seem to be a total headcase his coaches seem to have some measure of control over him.. he may become the best pest in the league!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  23:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh, i didn't see it when it happened, but i sure as heck rewound it and watching it! Funny stuff.

It's stuff like that that makes me wanna watch the handshakes after the series is over!

Edited by - Alex116 on 06/05/2011 23:02:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  05:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw that move by Lap[ierre, Leigh, and thought it was a hilarious attempt at goading Bergeron into taking a penalty. Didn't work, but it was damn funny, for sure.

I've seen the replay a few times now, and . . . I wouldn't have suspended either. In this case, sticking one's glove and fingers in another guy's mouth can be seen as extremely provocative and certainly not kosher . . . and the bite seemed as much a "pushback" on this action when his hands were tied up in the scrum. What else could he do to get his finger out of his mouth at that second? And, the bite was not vicious in any way, and didn't cause severe damage.

Sorry, but I see what Bergeron did as just as bad, and Burrows' bite was just enough to get him to stop the facewash and remember never to do that again!

I say, good non-suspension.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  15:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claude Julien wasn't too thrilled with Lapierre, quoted as saying he "made a mockery" of the whole situation, which I think was Lapierre's point in the first place. Honestly, I get a little sick of hearing players and coaches bitch about things the other team does, which if the shoe is on the other foot, they all claim is fine, no big deal or "old-time hockey."

I mean, I dont expect the Bruins to defend Burrows or Lapierre, or for them to bash Bergeron, but honestly, when something like this happens, the response should be "no comment" from everyone involved, and it would go away. Just look back at statements made by Mario Lemieux earlier this year for an example of how something like that can backfire.

In the end, Burrows bit him a little bit, the league looked at it, and decided it didn't warrant a suspension. Lapierre tried to get in Bergeron's head on the ice, and I think that's fine, but to go between games with all the verbal shots back and forth, i think wastes time and energy, and IMO it gets a little tiring.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  15:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

but to go between games with all the verbal shots back and forth, i think wastes time and energy, and IMO it gets a little tiring.

I suspect Julien is grasping at something to help motivate his team - the verbal shots appear to all be going one way here, towards Burrows and Lapierre. I haven't really heard anything out of the Canucks in response.

If it can rally the Bruins to get mean and try to take Vancouver off their game, then he's done his job as a coach. Its all part of the game I guess.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  17:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From nhl.com
Maxim Lapierre is no favorite among the Boston Bruins.

Players are still seething over Lapierre's behavior in Game 2 when he taunted Bruins center Patrice Bergeron with his gloved hand. The taunt was in reference to Bergeron’s allegation that Vancouver's Alexandre Burrows had bitten him during a scrum in Game 1.

The NHL ruled after Game 1 that the Burrows biting incident was not an intentional bite and he was not suspended. Burrows then went on to score two goals -- including the OT winner -- in Game 2.

Boston coach Claude Julien said Monday morning that Lapierre has stepped over the line with that taunt.

"If it's acceptable for them, then so be it," Julien said after the morning skate at TD Garden in preparation for Game 3. "Certainly wouldn't be acceptable on our end of it. I think you know me enough to know that. Not much I can say on that. The NHL rules on something. They decide to make a mockery of it, that's totally up to them. If that's their way of handling things, so be it.”

Later, in comments in French to the French-language media covering the series, Julien further suggested that Lapierre's behavior isn’t even acceptable to his teammates.

"It's one of the reasons he played for three teams this year," Julien said in French, according to several reports.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  20:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

They decide to make a mockery of it, that's totally up to them. If that's their way of handling things, so be it.”

I lost count of how many times I saw the Bruins putting fingers in the Canuck's faces. So much for the high road Julien.
Go to Top of Page

ginks40
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  20:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

They decide to make a mockery of it, that's totally up to them. If that's their way of handling things, so be it.”

I lost count of how many times I saw the Bruins putting fingers in the Canuck's faces. So much for the high road Julien.

1....2.....And both times was to Burrows, the guy who started it all (although I suppose you could argue Bergeron started by putting his fingers in Burrows' mouth). Not the point though, I think both Recchi and Lucic embarrassed Julien pretty badly tonight with their antics after he went and called out Lapierre. I'm sure they got it pretty good after the game despite the shellacking they dished out tonight.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  23:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Julien sure had egg on his face tonight. He said in his post game interview that Lucic and Recchi both had a talking to. He was clearly embarassed in the press conference. If I were him I'd be pretty pissed.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  23:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gotta love Google Ads...because this topic is about Burrows BITING Bergeron, all the ads being shown on this page are about a "stop nail biting" product and not hockey. LOL! Oh well we take what we can get.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  10:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Julien handled this as well as anyone could have. He made it clear that he didn't want his team engaging in that garbage and he took the blame for not emphasizing it enough to his players. As bad as they may have made him look, i think he presented himself well and admitted some fault and embarrasment.

You can be darn sure those guys, especially a veteran like Recchi, got a tongue lashing!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  13:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought Julien handled this as well as anyone could have. He made it clear that he didn't want his team engaging in that garbage and he took the blame for not emphasizing it enough to his players. As bad as they may have made him look, i think he presented himself well and admitted some fault and embarrasment.

Yes, I guess Julien was so busy Monday talking about the biting incident and proclaiming that his team was above all that, that he simply forgot to tell his team to also not do that...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page