Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 What happened to luongo? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  11:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the season eight games in, Roberto Luongo has one of the worst gaa with 3.45 and a dismal .868 save%. Should canucks fans be worried?

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:10:06  Reply with Quote
no, Luongo has always been known as a slow starter. come December this will be nothing but a faded memory.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  13:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lemme just check the calendar.....yep, its still October.

Nothing to worry about here, just the season unfolding like it usually does for Vancouver.

Edited by - nuxfan on 10/26/2011 13:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Guest9504
( )

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:19:37  Reply with Quote
He's not exactly Mr. October...but neither is anyone on that team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6710
( )

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:22:37  Reply with Quote
its still october hey im a big canucks fan what a load of bs tho. he said he was in the best shape he has ever been in coming into a season that seems to be working out well for him. every one seems to forget how terrible he was for over half the playoffs so i guesse i will be saying later this year "its april he always plays bad in april" thats going to work out well for them come playoff time
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I don't understand is why don't the Canucks wise-up to this and get him more than a game or two in the pre-season so he's actually ready when the reg season starts? Give him all but a couple, or split a few more games at least. Then rest him for a few more during the reg season. It's not like Schneider can't handle the work in the regular season.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no need to worry about Luongo, still one of the best in the game and he will get the nucks deep into the playoffs again. What he does in a game 7 of the cup final, well..........
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were going through his Oct vs Nov #'s (career) on the radio today and it was night and day! Pretty crazy, but as someone mentioned, the whole team for whatever reason, seems to start slow. This year, they tried playing the regulars far less in the preseason than in years past, Luongo included. Part of the reason for this was the short summer they experienced but likely also to simply change the routine they've had in the past, which has proved unsuccessful as far as early season performance.

Luongo was once considered top 3 in the league, however, playoff disappointment or not, most don't consider him that any longer. The big problem i believe, is the fact that he's playing in Vancouver. Due to the history of goalie failures here, the fanbase is extremely impatient! It can't be an easy place to play, that's for sure.

I'm confident he'll turn his game around as he has pretty much every year, but i'm beginning to wonder just what they'll do with the goalie situation moving forward. It's hard to deny Schneider his starts if he continues to play well, but at the same time, the team is somewhat committed to Luongo due to the deal they gave him! I've asked before, if they decided to try to deal him, would there be a taker with the contract he's got??? Secondly, Mike Gillis apparently has made it clear that the Canucks will not attempt to trade ANYONE with a no trade clause, UNLESS that player comes to them and requests a deal? IMO, Luongo will not do that and is too stubborn / proud to make such a move, unless family reasons made it necessary! I still believe that Luongo considers this (Vancouver) his best chance at winning the Stanley Cup, and it's hard to argue with that thinking considering how well they did last year!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

What I don't understand is why don't the Canucks wise-up to this and get him more than a game or two in the pre-season so he's actually ready when the reg season starts? Give him all but a couple, or split a few more games at least. Then rest him for a few more during the reg season. It's not like Schneider can't handle the work in the regular season.

leigh, Luongo seems to start slowly regardless of how much time he gets in the pre-season, this year he had less starts pre, but has played roughly the same as the previous 5 Octobers. Canucks fans (for better or worse) have grown accustomed to the slow start for Luongo, and we're just patiently waiting for November.

Its unfair to blame Luongo completely however - the whole team has looked pretty lethargic at times, and have yet to play a full 60 minutes IMO. Last night vs EDM was a great example of how they've played so far - played the first period, took the second period off and let in 3 goals, then turn on the jets for the final period to try and steal one. And if not for a hot Khabibulin, they could very well have done so... as our local rags suggested, Luongo has been far from the worst player on the ice this month.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe lingering affects from all the fuss made about the comments he made last Spring about Thomas. On the face of it, stuff like that should not be a big deal, but it can screw you up mentally for a while. Main point is that the problem might be more in his head than anywhere else. To get over it, he has to get on a streak of good play WHILE keeping his mouth shut.

Of course, there might be some out there who feel his comments were justified and that it was very appropriate to say them at that juncture in the Stanley Cup final. To them I'll just concede that the comments were appropriate, and then drink some more champagne out of my knob-hockey Stanley Cup cup.

Edited by - andyhack on 10/26/2011 16:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Guest4666
( )

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:26:32  Reply with Quote
Lou is a Sive trade him already.............

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Maybe lingering affects from all the fuss made about the comments he made last Spring about Thomas. On the face of it, stuff like that should not be a big deal, but it can screw you up mentally for a while. Main point is that the problem might be more in his head than anywhere else. To get over it, he has to get on a streak of good play WHILE keeping his mouth shut.

Of course, there might be some out there who feel his comments were justified and that it was very appropriate to say them at that juncture in the Stanley Cup final. To them I'll just concede that the comments were appropriate, and then drink some more champagne out of my knob-hockey Stanley Cup cup.

Andyhack..... From everything i've heard, i don't believe it's in his head and i certainly don't think it has anything to do with the playoffs and/or his comments about Thomas. He's talked about that, owned it, admitted it was a poor attempt at offering his opinion, etc. As nuxfan said, he's not even close to being the worst Canuck thus far but to be honest, i think what is possibly making it tougher than years past, is that he is actually feeling the heat of Schneider being as good as he has. In years past, he could simply work through it and know that the backup was just that, a backup. He would relieve Lou for maybe 10-12 games tops. Now Schneider comes in, plays 25+ and even gets a playoff start in a crucial game and suddenly Luongo realizes he's got some competition. IF anything, i think that is why he's having trouble. Then again, as has been said, he's not exactly Mr October?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  18:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Andy, one might think that the sting of the loss is still lingering, however the fact that this year has been no different from the previous 4 years leads me to believe its not. If you look at the Canuck's record in each of the last 5 Octobers, you will find it to be largely consistent.

Oct 2006 - 7-5-1, Luongo 7-4-1, 26 GA
Oct 2007 - 5-7-0, Luongo 4-7-0, 36 GA
Oct 2008 - 6-5-1, Luongo 6-4-1, 30 GA
Oct 2009 - 7-7-0, Luongo 6-6-0, 33 GA
Oct 2010 - 4-3-2, Luongo 2-3-2, 22 GA
Oct 2011 (so far) - 4-4-1, Luongo 2-3-1, 19 GA

Not to say we're necessarily happy that it takes our all-star goalie a month to get into the season, however we're used to it, and as a result are not particularly worried.

If Luongo is still playing like this come December though, then we'll be worried.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page