Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 John Tortorella slam's thornton Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4927
( )

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:49:05  Reply with Quote
Tort's pointed out that joe is one of the greatest players that has never won anything in the NHL.

This is true, but nobody says it to the media. Joe did call the rangers soft.

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  16:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calling a team soft is one thing...calling them the softest team they played againist is another

This statement put Tort`s team in a very specific category...all by themselves

Of course this was personal with the coach because if his team plays soft ( according to Thorthon ) well oboviously this implies that the coach is letting them get away with soft play.

Joe shouldn`t have said what he said...don`t think i`ve heard a player quote this one before, can`t remember anyway. Can`t really blame for Tort`s for coming back strong.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0375
( )

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  17:44:04  Reply with Quote
sick grammar
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah man..been drinking too much lately. Anyway, i`m a numbers person, not a Mark Twain.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  03:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Calling a team soft is one thing...calling them the softest team they played againist is another

This statement put Tort`s team in a very specific category...all by themselves

Of course this was personal with the coach because if his team plays soft ( according to Thorthon ) well oboviously this implies that the coach is letting them get away with soft play.

Joe shouldn`t have said what he said...don`t think i`ve heard a player quote this one before, can`t remember anyway. Can`t really blame for Tort`s for coming back strong.

I wish more players would say things like Thornton did. He didn't make any classless comments about the team he stated a fact the Rangers ahve been a soft team thus far this season and he felt the Sharks should have taken 2 points away from that game, i like these kind of comments instead of your generic " umm well we tried to go out there and play a 60 min game aat both end of the rinks, i think we let 2 point get away today yadda yadda yadda"

And Torts fireing back thats fine in my opinion aswell,, and i'm sure Joe Thornton is thinking to himself when Torts said "he hasn't won anything" hhmmmmmm "a hart and art ross a world juniors Gold a olympic gold (torts was on the bench while Joe celebrated that gold) a couple world chapionships aswell... and Joe has lots of career left to go get that Stanley cup

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  08:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone give me the exact quote please!

I've heard that Thornton said they played "soft TONIGHT" . . . which is a huge difference.

And of course, Torst was informed right away by the sports media so tht they would have some golden quotes and inteerview bleep-outs later, lol.

But I would love to see a transribed quote of what Thornotn ACTUALLY stated, before commenting.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tortorella's mouthing off is pretty old these days. I think most of this stuff gets in the news because sports reporters have nothing else to do. Take Raffi Torres dressing up as Jay-Z for example.

This is why all hockey (and sports) interviews sound the same, they say one little thing that isn't on the script and then it's everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  16:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Someone give me the exact quote please!

I've heard that Thornton said they played "soft TONIGHT" . . . which is a huge difference.

And of course, Torst was informed right away by the sports media so tht they would have some golden quotes and inteerview bleep-outs later, lol.

But I would love to see a transribed quote of what Thornotn ACTUALLY stated, before commenting.

i`ll find it on youtube for you slozo if i can but Thornto said

`we shoud have left with 2 points they (the rangers) are the softest team we ve played on this 6 game road trip` then when asked what he meant by soft he said something like `i just mean we should have left this game with 2 points`

Torts then the next day answerd by calling thornton `Classless i ve never herd a player pop off about another team like that and for a guy who will go down as one of the best players to never win anything in this league Joe should just shut up`

roughly that is what was said i ll try and find the links

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seen the interview Slozo.

Can`t swear by it but i remember it being very similar to what Pasty said.....

Joe said something like....They ( the rangers ) were the softest team we played againist on this 6 game road trip...and we should have gotten the 2 points....
Go to Top of Page

Guest8149
( )

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:14:59  Reply with Quote
I don't mind some honesty and emotion from players or coaches. (As long as it doesn't cross the line.)

Fans complain all the time about how boring players (or coaches) are in media interviews, and when they finally step outside the box of cliched answers ("we're gonna give it 100%," etc.), criticism oftentimes comes their way.

As a coach or player though, the disciplined (and smarter) approach is to be boring. It's not very entertaining to the fans, but why stir the pot when you don't have to!

One last point - would Jumbo Joe make the same comment against a team in his own division, a team he has to face 5 or 6 more times? Or in the first round of the playoffs?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  05:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind some honesty either, but that was a stupid thing to say by Thornton. Really stupid.

Especially since the Sharks were beaten quite handily by the Rangers, 5-2! lol

First off, it sounds like sour grapes from a loser (in the game).

Secondly, it is sure to be awesome blackboard material and fine motivation for another team, albeit for one they hardly ever see.

Thirdly, I do find it classless myself. Not what I would expect from an elder statesman and supposed leader.

If you're gonna be honest so that I can truly appreciate AND respect it, talk about your OWN poor performance, talk about what YOUR OWN team could have and should have done better in the game.

Sounds like Torts had every right to spout off a bit about it . . . but again, because he's an idiot too, he didn't even milk it properly for what it could have been - instead he has to go over the top in his reaction.

Would have been golden if Tortorella had simply pointed out what I did - say in a quiet, contemplative voice that it was a classless comment, and that if Thornton was any kind of leader, he should probably have been self-criticising instead of name-calling a team that beat his quite handily.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  09:36:57  Reply with Quote
Thornton has since apologized for making his comments. Here's what he had to say two days after making his original comments:

“Every couple of years you have to say some sort of bone-headed thing. Usually I’m pretty good, but I say the wrong word once in a while. But no harm done. I just used the wrong word.”

Fair enough – everyone screws up once in awhile. Good for Thornton to apologize. And just another reminder for players to contain their true comments.

Better to say that the "Rangers are a tough team to play against" (even when they're not), or better yet, "the bounces were going our way tonight," etc. It's boring for the fans, but the players are not there to entertain us with their comments – their job is to win games, and at the same time, entertain the fans with their play!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0937
( )

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  03:38:39  Reply with Quote
The best thing about this whole mess, as a Rangers fan, is that the supposed "soft" team beat them 5 - 2!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page