Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Crosby vs. Ovechkin Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  11:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skill wise I would have to say it's to close to decide. Crosby better playmaker but goal scorer goes to Ovechkin. But ill say Ovie because I like his personallity off ice better. I would also like to say this gretzky is not a true canadian. u think after all those years with the oilers and all the fans there that worship him he would get a job somewhere there. Well apperantly not. Insted he gets a job for a american team in one of the hottest places in america where they could not care anything about hockey only about matt leinart life storey.

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  13:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me be the first to say, What?? Are you serious?? Wayne Gretzky has been the utmost advocate of Canadian hockey for almost 30 years! I guess that suiting up for your Country 8 times and medalling in 7 of those shows that you are not a true patriot. I guess that being executive director of your countries National Hockey team and having a hand in orchastrating the first gold medal in Olympic Hockey for Canada in 50 years says you are not a patriot.

Look at the GM's from NYR, BOS, BUF, CAR, FLA, WAS, CHI, COL, DET, MIN, DAL, and SJ. All are Canadian. Does that mean they are not true Canadians because the manage teams in the US?? There are tons of Canadians involved with hockey in the states, and it has abolutely no impact on their patriotism. Esposito brought a franchise to Tampa, does that mean he is not a true Canadian??

And finally, I don't blame Gretzky for living in Phoenix for one second. Not only is the weather amazing, but at least he can have a life. If he lived in any city in Canada, he couldn't do anything or go anywhere without being hounded by fans.

Gretzky not a true Canadian?? Give you head a shake.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  13:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very well made points my fellow oiler. Also another point is that they probably wanted to live closer to las vegas so gretzkys wife can go gameble some more

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  18:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Alexander Ovechkin moment:
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/callum690/ovechkin-nicegoal1.gif[/IMG]

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  21:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

I would also like to say this gretzky is not a true canadian.

Dude he has the Order of Canada medal...he must've done SOMEthing to make the country proud...
Go to Top of Page

Leafsgirl 48
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Crosby is a better player then Ovechkin. I think his overall creativity and flare boosts him to a slight edge over Ovechkin.

Leafs 4 cup 07/08!!!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  17:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

Some very well made points my fellow oiler. Also another point is that they probably wanted to live closer to las vegas so gretzkys wife can go gameble some more

Pickup hockey pool

Very d***ish comment, son. You also said, in a different thread that you hate the Oilers. If you want to call Beans "my fellow oiler", but get pissed off with what I have to say, you are at very best a turncoat, and at least an uninformed and immature hockey fan. Do not disrespect the Wayne.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  17:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well When it comes to making plays
i say crosby
when it comes to leadership i say ovechkin
when it comes to giving hits and taking them and not wining i say ovechkin
when the game is on the line and the team needs a goal i say a tie
but all around other stats i like crosby as
#1 but hey sid plays on a beter team. but then ovechkin might get more ice time considering washington sucks

my choice still is sid the kid

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

~+~ The Passion That Unites Us All ~+~
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put whayne on a different team say Flordia than see how you like him.

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  13:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne did that. It was call LA. The team will little talent that he took to the Stanley Cup finals in 93. Ya, that same year he had 40 points in 24 playoff games after returning from a back injury that held him to only 65 points in 45 regular season games. The same guy who scored a hat trick against the Leafs in the West. Conf Final game 7. Who did he have with him?? Robataille, Kurri and Granato.

Don't try to bring stuff up until you do your research.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  15:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Wayne did that. It was call LA. The team will little talent that he took to the Stanley Cup finals in 93. Ya, that same year he had 40 points in 24 playoff games after returning from a back injury that held him to only 65 points in 45 regular season games. The same guy who scored a hat trick against the Leafs in the West. Conf Final game 7. Who did he have with him?? Robataille, Kurri and Granato.

Don't try to bring stuff up until you do your research.

Just Robitaille, Kurri and Granato? Uhhh... Robitaille is the highest scoring left wing of all time, Kurri is a HOF sniper and Granato was a very decent player. That team was not nearly as weak as people make it out to be.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  16:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, that is basically one good line. Very much like a present day Tampa. Who else on that team was worth anything at the time??

Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  17:40:07  Reply with Quote
quote:

Willus, that is basically one good line. Very much like a present day Tampa. Who else on that team was worth anything at the time??

Tampa won the cup a few years ago with that "one line". Beans you're confusing me.
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya and gretzky screwed us in 93

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Guest9989
( )

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  04:42:20  Reply with Quote
A Leafs' fan upset about '93. I love it when that happens. It reinforces the stereotype that you guys have earned. Just so you know (I'm sure you were very young back then), Patrick Roy screwed EVERYONE in '93 with his amazing goaltending. If the leafs had managed to get past the Kings, it woulda' been 4 and out anyway.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  08:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

quote:

Tampa won the cup a few years ago with that "one line". Beans you're confusing me.

Tampa actually had a pretty good defence back then: Lukowich, Sydor,Kuba,Boyle and then the big three and Modin. And then ''The Bulin Wall'' was in net. They had a good all around team.

Now for the actual topic!

They're both good at different things
Crosby:Passer
Ovechkin:Sniper:
Crosby : Good vision of the ice
Ovechkin: Throws his weight around more
And they're both really mature for there age.

I gotta give it to Sid the Kid, just because I believe he will be more consistent during his career than Ovechkin. But like Babs said a long time ago, ask us in 15 years and will give you a better answer, we only have 2 years to look at for what they've done.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  16:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you have the roster post it. Let's analyze. It might be better suited to a new thread though.

Go to Top of Page

Guest1316
( )

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  20:43:02  Reply with Quote
Personally i think that ovechkin is a better player, just because he's the danks and crosby just seems too laid back and too much of a playmaker. I personally like the guys that go out there and try to kick ass every time they step on the ice. Ovechkin, to me, seems to have that mentallity. Anyway it shouldn't really matter which is better, they're both in the NHL which pretty much speaks for itself so that pretty much means they are both amazing!

Fight the Power!! lol
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  09:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/15/20071020_Hockeycentral_Debate

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting panel.

I think it comes down to the team. For example, I think SJ/BOS type teams with a couple of the best set up men in the game would benefit more from Ovechkin. On the other hand, teams like WASH/NYI/PHO/DAL that are in need of help in more than one area, they would benefit more from Crosby.

I still think that Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin. I personally enjoy watching Ovechkin play more than watching Crosby. And I'm just saying that Ovechkin would be more successfully on certain teams than Crosby would. Not many, but some.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4447
( )

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:54:12  Reply with Quote
I like both players both are exciting to watch. Ovechkin will be one hell of a power forward and Crosby one of the best playmakers. I know everyone leans on Crosby because he is young and he has led the league in scoring. Youngest captain the list goes on. But its hard to be a compare thetwo fairly when one plays for a decent team and the other for a really crappy one. They should both play for the same thing and see how well they can do with or without each others help. That would be very fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Daressit
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The difference between the penguins and the capitals is apples and oranges. This isn't like comparing the mid 80's oilers to the mid 80's penguins. The penguins are far from being the best team in the league. You can't lean on the Crosby plays on a better team argument, it's not an elite team compared to the caps. Crosby is the number one line on the penguins, without him they are a 2nd or 3rd string line on any other team. Ovi plays with the same kind of line.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daressit

The difference between the penguins and the capitals is apples and oranges. This isn't like comparing the mid 80's oilers to the mid 80's penguins. The penguins are far from being the best team in the league. You can't lean on the Crosby plays on a better team argument, it's not an elite team compared to the caps. Crosby is the number one line on the penguins, without him they are a 2nd or 3rd string line on any other team. Ovi plays with the same kind of line.

I totally agree. Recchi and Malone, or Sykora (whomever he's lined up with on any given night), are far from elite wingers. The Pens should dump one of those young prospects and pick up a veteran (not old) winger who can score 50 goals. Look at Ottawa - their top line has three faily equal superstar players.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1316

Personally i think that ovechkin is a better player, just because he's the danks and crosby just seems too laid back and too much of a playmaker. I personally like the guys that go out there and try to kick ass every time they step on the ice. Ovechkin, to me, seems to have that mentallity. Anyway it shouldn't really matter which is better, they're both in the NHL which pretty much speaks for itself so that pretty much means they are both amazing!

Fight the Power!! lol

On the other hand, have you watched Crosby play in a game, or are you strictly going by highlights, because man, you are not describing the same Crosby I WATCH night in and night out.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. Crosby "laid back"????

Oh brother. I give up.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  20:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another rumor I heard today is that the Thrashers are more than likely going to deal Hossa at the trade deadline as he's a UFA and they are not liking the money he is wanting.

Hossa with Crosby would be pretty sweet.

And looking at the Penguins and Caps this year is more comparable. Last year, not even close. Let's not forget last year's Calder winner who played for the Pens and works with Sid on the PP.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  17:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the stats on me, but if you look at Malkin/Crosby as a duo, they didn't score as much off each other as people think. On the PP, Crosby plays the half boards, and usually dishes to one of the D, either Whitney or that bum Gonchar. Everyone said how good Whitney is getting....uh-uh. You could paint an automatic puck shooter black and yellow, and it would score marginally less than Whitney playing with Sid. It would certainly hit the net more often.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  17:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin not playing on a good team is not an issue. Crosby won MVP, if it were true, Ovie would have taken it. Crosby has relatively as bad of support as Alex.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  00:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Ovechkin not playing on a good team is not an issue. Crosby won MVP, if it were true, Ovie would have taken it. Crosby has relatively as bad of support as Alex.

Habs get number 25 this year

Well, Jose Theodore got a Hart trophy in a year when most felt Iggy earned it, but the Flames missed the p-offs and the Habs made it, so low-and-behold Jose got it (even though he played in under 60 games that year if I'm not mistaken)...The Hart trophy means nothing as far as I'm concerned; let's not forget it's f**s like Dave Hodge who pick the winner...Now I know Sid also got the Pearson award...But I'l chalk that up to the fact it's a lot easier for an NHL player to turn on their TV and see Crosby highights than Luongo highlights.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Bleeding Blue and White
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby is probably one of the best young stars of all time.

~Long Live the Leafs~
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to flog a dead horse, but this question came to my mind last night as I was watching my Oilers take on the Caps.

I watched the entire game and to say I was impressed by Ovechkin is a understatement to say the least. He was tenacious everywhere on the ice. Brilliant speed and far better vision than I gave him credit for. Passing skills where strong, and man does the guy throw the body.

Does anybody realize that he's like 10th in the league in hits??

The question that came to my mind is that if Ovechkin was Canadian and Crosby Russian, would people's opinion of them be the same?? I don't think so. If Crosby was Russian, I think people would have him in an a less favorable image. Personally, I think that if they were opposite nationalities, Ovechkin would be the one deemed as a better player.

Ray Ferraro said it best last night. (By the way, he is a great guy to call the games, Sportsnet West, Check him out) He said, (paraphrased)

"Crosby may very well be the best player in the game but I would pay money every single night to watch Ovechkin play."

The guy brings an electricity to the game that few have. I wish I got more televised games of Washington, but he is so much fun to watch.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page