Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Curtis Joseph Signs with the Calgary Flames Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Cujo signed a one year deal with the Calgary Flames for $1.5 million. Is this a good deal for the Flames?

Choices:

Yes
No

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually think this is a pretty good deal. The main reason is that I think it will shake up Kiprusoff a bit. Although Cujo is 40 and well past his prime, his reputation might give Kiprusoff a bit of a wake up call. Also the Flames haven't had a legitimate back up in many years. Maybe Kipper can take a night off now and again.

The only thing I'm not 100% convinced of, is Joseph is NHL ready? He's had a long break and he was on a slide when he left. Let's hope his hunger to get back in the game can compensate. I think they'll put him in on the 18th against the Kings...assuming he's in playing shape.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but for 1.5 mil, Joseph is worhtless to be brought in to back up Mikka. I think that he will not see any ice time (actually, that is a given) and will not help, but if anything, hinder the no. 1 goalie's performance. I think that that is a big blow to the morale of a franchise player, possibly the second-biggest face of the franchise after Incredible Iggy.

The motives are blury to me, but it seems that they are looking for depth to make a playoff run in those dog days of the early spring, when injuries and viruses are contagious, and maybe to keep Mikka on his toes. To me, I would sit on that 1.5 million. Maybe offer it to Forsberg?

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Sorry, I forgot to mention: especially when you think it is only a ONE YEAR deal

ALEX PLEASE DON"T DOUBLE POST LIKE THIS. JUST EDIT YOUR PREVIOUS POST RATHER THAN POSTING AGAIN!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, I don't think you are looking at this in what Calgary actually has accomplished. Firstly, it $1.5 million pro-rated for the rest of the season. So, all things being equal, $1.5 million works out to be about $18,300/game. It's only going to cost Calgary $660,00. That's cheap for a proven back up.

He was not brought in to fight for a #1 job, he was brought in to back up. If (and I mean if) Calgary makes a run deep into the playoffs, Kipper will not be effective if he plays 75+ games in the reg season come the 3rd round of the playoffs. Bringing in a capable goalie to play 2 out of ten games and the end of the season if Calgary is coasting in, that's just a smart hockey move. Kipper can see that, any hockey person can see that. CuJo will see action. If the Flames are a lock for a playoff spot, I would venture to say that Cujo will play 8-12 games over the next 36. That gives Kipper a lot of time off to be rested for when they need him. Did you ever think that maybe Kipper is not playing that great this year because he has basically played every game in the past 3 years???

And although you might think he is over the hill, he did play 58 games just last year. He is also fresh coming off the Spengler Cup. He would be ready in a week of practice to play. If he is so bad, why were teams like NYR and San Jose also courting CuJo very hard in the past little while. Any team looking to make a deep run would benefit from having a guy like CuJo as the back up.

This is a very smart move for Calgary.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/15/2008 17:05:01
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  17:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sorry, but for 1.5 mil, Joseph is worhtless to be brought in to back up Mikka. I think that he will not see any ice time (actually, that is a given) and will not help, but if anything, hinder the no. 1 goalie's performance. I think that that is a big blow to the morale of a franchise player, possibly the second-biggest face of the franchise after Incredible Iggy....

Alex, sorry bud but you confused me. You say that Cujo is worthless and will not see any ice time, then you say the deal is a blow to Kipper's morale. What do you mean here? Thanks in advance for explaining.

Here is an article if anyone is looking for some info...
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=349961&nhlLink=true&page=NewsPage&service=page

Edited by - leigh on 01/15/2008 17:04:03
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  17:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a good move for Calgary. They pick up a goalie that can spell off Kiprusoff for some of the games down the stretch, this was mentioned by some of the other posters along with the cap hit of only $674,000.00.

I am not sure if Calgary is interested in signing Forsberg to a contract. He may feel that he is ready to try and play again, but he failed before Christmas at a comeback.

This is also a good move that keeps him out of Toronto, that was some of the so called rumours going around, and to be honest I did not want to see him in TO, he had his chance, and left in a huff when Quinn sat him in the Olympics...

Of coarse you know that this means war!
- - Bugs Bunny

http://www.maldesigns.ca/top50since1967.htm

Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a great move for the flames. For the reasons already mentioned like how the flames have enough cap room to take on Joseph and he will be a good relieving goalie for Kiprusoff. But on top of that, he will be able to be relied on in the playoffs in Kiprusoff happens to get injured or is playing poorly. Joseph is a great playoff performer and you should feel comfortable having him between the pipes in those situations.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just look at last year in Vancouver. Luongo played so many games by the 2nd round he was dead tired. A guy like Kipper, who plays almost every game needs a break here and there He is no Glenn Hall. And CuJo is a perfect back up. He will bring veteran leadership into that dressing room and that's never a bad thing.. He is no Glenn Hall. I think it's a good move by the Flames. Surprised teams like TBL or LA didn't offerer him a contract.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

I'm sorry, but for 1.5 mil, Joseph is worhtless to be brought in to back up Mikka. I think that he will not see any ice time (actually, that is a given) and will not help, but if anything, hinder the no. 1 goalie's performance. I think that that is a big blow to the morale of a franchise player, possibly the second-biggest face of the franchise after Incredible Iggy....

Alex, sorry bud but you confused me. You say that Cujo is worthless and will not see any ice time, then you say the deal is a blow to Kipper's morale. What do you mean here? Thanks in advance for explaining.

Here is an article if anyone is looking for some info...
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=349961&nhlLink=true&page=NewsPage&service=page

Well Leigh, I think that Kipper, knowing that CuJo CAN replace him, will make him play a more nervous style.

However, Beans brings a good point up which I agree with, and therefore refract all previous statements.

Other than, of course, Habs get number 25 this year. That one I like

Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  19:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Just look at last year in Vancouver. Luongo played so many games by the 2nd round he was dead tired. A guy like Kipper, who plays almost every game needs a break here and there He is no Glenn Hall. And CuJo is a perfect back up. He will bring veteran leadership into that dressing room and that's never a bad thing.. He is no Glenn Hall. I think it's a good move by the Flames. Surprised teams like TBL or LA didn't offerer him a contract.

I agree with you Paintrain except I'm not very surprised about Tampa and Los Angeles staying away from him. Generally they're teams that are just about out of it so I don't think they would be willing to add on an old goalie like Cujo at this point. In LA's place right now, they have plenty of young goaltenders waiting to make a name for themselves so why put Cujo in there when it would basically prolong (sp) that happening..?

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  20:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kipper is a smart man, he knows Cujo wasn't signed to replace him. He knows that if Cujo goes out and posts back to back shut outs the starting job is still his. Yes signing Cujo will help Kipper play better, but not because it will light a fire under him and certainly not because he's scared his starting job is in jeopardy. Joseph is still a very capable spot starter and a more then dependable back up. No matter what us armchair GM's might think, the guys who actually run the show for the most part make very smart and informed decisions. There's no way there would have been interest in Joseph from play-off caliber teams if they didn't feel he would be effective in the role they were looking for him to fill. I also don't think they over paid him, especially if you consider that Edmonton has a 3+ million dollar 38 year old back up.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0587
( )

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  05:48:32  Reply with Quote
What isn't mentioned is that it'll only cost the Flames about $600K for the rest of the season. Good deal in that context.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0587

What isn't mentioned is that it'll only cost the Flames about $600K for the rest of the season. Good deal in that context.

This was mentioned. Actually, twice before this post.

And Edmonton has a $3.5 million this year and $3 million 38 year old back up. What wrong with that???

Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:58:04  Reply with Quote
Beans 15. edmonton has better then average goaltending and they could not predict Garon to be such a pleasant surprise, and Garon has been proving himself as of late and the 3 million dollar deal for Roli is a great idea because he can just as well play the starting role as well as Garon
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  10:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good move for Calgary. The only issues I have with this deal is the money involved. Is cujo still worth 1.5 million to play maybe 10 games. If Cujo is worth this kind of money, Raycroft is too.

I've officially returned to the forums by the way.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 01/16/2008 10:44:52
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  11:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to be careful with a guy like Curtis Joseph because he has been known to pout when he can't start a game even when the chosen starter is better than him. Remember the Olympics? He is also been known to quit on your team when he doesn't think the GM has traded for the right player to join your team. He has a real bad habit of putting his self interests ahead of everything else. It was certainly heart warming when his little plan to win a Stanley Cup with Detroit went down the toilet. Can you imagine someone quitting on his hometown team and fans to join a foreign team so he could play on a winner? Oh well, he helped us win the Spengler but if I were in Calgary I would tread softly with this guy!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  14:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

....The only issues I have with this deal is the money involved. Is cujo still worth 1.5 million to play maybe 10 games. If Cujo is worth this kind of money, Raycroft is too....

The Flames will only pay about $675K because the season is part way over. And Raycroft probably IS only worth THIS much instead of the $2,000,000+ he is getting for his 2 wins this season.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  15:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by admin

quote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention: especially when you think it is only a ONE YEAR deal

ALEX PLEASE DON"T DOUBLE POST LIKE THIS. JUST EDIT YOUR PREVIOUS POST RATHER THAN POSTING AGAIN!

I'm sorry, I only found out that you can edit actual posts now. I thought that was only for polls
Won't happen again

It won't happen again? Right after this post, you did another post. And if you look at the time it's about a 1 minute difference.

Anyways Patchy you're right. It does make sense, if they're out of the playoff hunt why go for it. I guess I should have specified that they should have got him earlier and then make a playoffs spot run.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  16:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

You have to be careful with a guy like Curtis Joseph because he has been known to pout when he can't start a game even when the chosen starter is better than him. Remember the Olympics? He is also been known to quit on your team when he doesn't think the GM has traded for the right player to join your team. He has a real bad habit of putting his self interests ahead of everything else. It was certainly heart warming when his little plan to win a Stanley Cup with Detroit went down the toilet. Can you imagine someone quitting on his hometown team and fans to join a foreign team so he could play on a winner? Oh well, he helped us win the Spengler but if I were in Calgary I would tread softly with this guy!!!!!!!!

I think Calgary has a good chance of winning it all. Cujo has shown that he is a quitter in the past and i'm not denying that he still is a quitter. What other cup contending team would take the guy right now? San Jose is the only other possibility. Cujo won't quit on Calgary this year, and if he does, Mikka's always there as their starter anyway.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  18:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cujo didnt sign to be the starter and he doesnt need the money, he wants to be fourth all time in wins and also with calgary he has a good chance to win the cup. In the past kipper has always had an experienced beack up to spell him and i think it gave him confidence that he didnt have to be awesome every game. this is also a risk free deal for calgary because they got nothing to lose also calgary has had weaker defencse than in the past couple of years although hamrlik seems like a mediocre defense man he really made a big difference in calgary. phaneuf is good regher seems a bit slow warrener is getting old sarich is a reliable 4th. erricson is a pleasant surprise and hale is not very good aucoin is good offensively. although this seems like a decent core many are new and this has lead to kippers problems cujo will help in the dressing room as a calming veteran prescence.

Edited by - hockster on 01/16/2008 18:30:18
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  18:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

cujo didnt sign to be the starter and he doesnt need the money, he wants to be fourth all time in wins and also with calgary he has a good chance to win the cup. In the past kipper has always had an experienced beack up to spell him and i think it gave him confidence that he didnt have to be awesome every game. this is also a risk free deal for calgary because they got nothing to lose also calgary has had weaker defencse than in the past couple of years although hamrlik seems like a mediocre defense man he really made a big difference in calgary. phaneuf is good regher seems a bit slow warrener is getting old sarich is a reliable 4th. erricson is a pleasant surprise and hale is not very good aucoin is good offensively. although this seems like a decent core many are new and this has lead to kippers problems cujo will help in the dressing room as a calming veteran prescence.

What on earth are you talking about?? Who have Kipper's experienced back ups been?? He was the back up in San Jose(where he only played 47 games over 3 season), and since coming to Calgary his back up's have been McElhinney, Keetly, McLennan, Boucher, Sabourin, and Turek.

Where is the experience there?? Turek had some and Boucher a bit, but I would have to disagree completely. I would say this is the first time since Kipper joined the Flames where they actually have a decent back up.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0596
( )

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  20:02:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

with calgary he has a good chance to win the cup.

Sorry about the exaggerated spit-take. Calgary? Owen Nolan. Cujo. I hear they are after Darcy Tucker. Is this Leafs West now?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  10:13:21  Reply with Quote
cujo does not have a good chance of winning the cup with calgary. they have won the cup 1 time!! are you guys crazy lol i think it was a good move tho on their part they needed someone to get kipper goin again and if its cujo even better
Go to Top of Page

Guest5004
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  15:20:28  Reply with Quote
Cujo sucks and so does Calgary, it was a total fluke when they went to the cup before the lockout, the seasons after the lockout have proven that.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0596
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  16:48:26  Reply with Quote
As an Oilers' fan, I have to express my admiration for the man they call "Cujo". I can also understand the negative feelings of Leafs' fans regarding his defection. He bailed on us, too. My wife says he has nice eyes. That is pretty much the best thing I can say about him. I sincerely hope that he fails with the Flamers' Cup quest.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  17:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest I never even thought about it that way

Wouldn't it be funny if Edmonton made like a comeback and fought for the last spot with one or so games left against the Flames, and it went to shootout and Cujo played becausse the Flames knew they were in and he shut them out.

It kinda happened last year when Dubie came in against the Devils. But not quite as drastically.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  17:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. That would not be funny at all.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9755
( )

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  07:17:07  Reply with Quote
Leland Irving 7.5C
Curtis McElhinney 6.5C
Kevin Lalande 6.0C
Matt Keetley 6.0C
Jimmy Spratt 4.0B

The above names are the Calgary Flames top goalie prospects
Why do they not groom one of these guys?
Mike Keenan continues to be to hard on his goalies and management
is allowing him to do this.
Short term gain for long term pain
Another mistake Flame fans (Keep it up)
Go Habs Go
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:07:21  Reply with Quote
alex first of all, there are more oilers fan's around the globe then there are habs fans so before you start dissing the oilers about having fans in ontario thats just how good the oilers are

team canada= oilers
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4912 - I can honestly say I know only one Oiler fan personally. Well maybe two if you count his infant son? I'm from Ontario and I like the Oilers more than the Stupid Senators........You know that team that our Leafs knocked out of the post season four times. This is just too much fun.......LOL
Go to Top of Page

Guest0772
( )

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  02:06:57  Reply with Quote
You don't fluke out and end up in the stanley cup finals. Calgary beat the best teams in the west when they went to the finals in 04. Vancouver, Detroit and San Jose and they went to 7 with Tampa.

Obviously a 40 year old goalie signed for one year is not management saying kipper is going to be fighting for the number one spot. If anyone watched the game tonight, Kipper was playing his vesna worthy hockey.

I wouldn't go doubting someone like Daryl Sutter, the guy knows more about hockey than all of our heads combined.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page