Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Trade rumours, thoughts, opinions, etc Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
I guess we did figure out what happened. At least from one side of the table. CBJ is reporting that it was Nash who asked for the trade.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389007

eeks. what is Howson doing? What good can possibly come from this announcement? It all but guarantees that Nash will be traded this offseason, and the teams on his list just mean a limited bidding war. I don't understand why Howson would do this.

Nash's response was classy though.

Edited by - nuxfan on 02/28/2012 10:31:54
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't expect anything but somthing classy from Nash. He doesn't come across as a player that would be anything but classy.

The interesting thing to me is that he did not deny that he asked for the request. Frankly, I don't blame him at all. He risks being like Jarome Iginla if he doesn't leave. CBJ is at least 3 yrs from being a legit contender. Nash will be 30-31 by that time and his best years will most likely be behind him at that point.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kudos. beans i know you said nash must have asked for a trade but i thought that was just a hunch.

as for howson... good on him for waiting to get the right pieces and a fair trade for rick nash.
however, the way he handled the situation and threw his star player under the bus on national television was disgraceful. if he had any intention of trying to keep nash past this summer he just ruined the chances of that happening.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a hunch. It was actually Slozo's hunch originally and I agreed with it.

I gotta let me people know when I am right because it happens so rarely.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Since the name came up, how about;

To Edmonton - Jeff Carter

To Columbus - Ales Hemsky
2012 1st Round draft pick

Cap hit stays the same, Edmonton gets a trigger man with size and grit to play with Eberle and Hopkins.

Columbus gets a top 6 forward and what will probably be a top 3 pick.

?

carter wouldn't have have fetched the pick straight up . the oilers aren't moving that pick for anything less than a top pairing D-man.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i saw that last night and was quite surprised, especially at the timing. I figured if Nash did ask out, it wouldn't become public so quickly!

In a way, i don't blame Howson as he's prob feeling heat (locally) on the situation. CBJ fans are prob wondering what the heck is going on and he prob felt he had to defend his position. As for his trade value diminishing Nuxfan, which is what i assume you mean by the limited bidding war, is this necessarily the case? Yes, Howson is going to be sitting on an increasingly disgruntled asset, but Nash will quickly land in the Heatley-like range of spoiled NHLers if he's not careful. If there's any truth to the rumour that Nashville put up a serious bid for Rick Nash's services and he said no, then what's different about this and Heatley saying no to the Oilers??? Come summer, you're gonna have a guy making nearly 8 mil per season trying to dictate where he plays??? Not gonna look good for the Nash camp if he doesn't expand his list of teams he's willing to play for!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  11:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Beans, i saw that last night and was quite surprised, especially at the timing. I figured if Nash did ask out, it wouldn't become public so quickly!

In a way, i don't blame Howson as he's prob feeling heat (locally) on the situation. CBJ fans are prob wondering what the heck is going on and he prob felt he had to defend his position. As for his trade value diminishing Nuxfan, which is what i assume you mean by the limited bidding war, is this necessarily the case? Yes, Howson is going to be sitting on an increasingly disgruntled asset, but Nash will quickly land in the Heatley-like range of spoiled NHLers if he's not careful. If there's any truth to the rumour that Nashville put up a serious bid for Rick Nash's services and he said no, then what's different about this and Heatley saying no to the Oilers??? Come summer, you're gonna have a guy making nearly 8 mil per season trying to dictate where he plays??? Not gonna look good for the Nash camp if he doesn't expand his list of teams he's willing to play for!

"CBJ fans"? All 10 of them?

Kidding aside, Columbus is not Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver, I don't think there would have been much pressure for Howson to explain himself in Columbus. So I'm not sure what it served - other than to seal the fate of Nash.

I don't think Nash has to be careful at this point - his GM basically threw him under the bus, the last 20 games of the season are probably going to be pretty uncomfortable for him, and him being back in Columbus next year at this point seems simply untenable. He's going to want out this summer, and it won't be a secret.

He has a list of 5 teams he's willing to go to, and therefore only 5 teams have to bid. You don't get your best bids if your bidding pool is small and the seller pretty much has to take one of them by September, so yes, I think his value has gone down. The only thing that might increase it is if he expands his list.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  11:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If his value goes down, which it could perhaps slightly, how will we ever know? Let's face it, the asking price was so ridiculous to begin with that ANYTHING now will seem like his value went down!!!

I know this will prob not happen as Howson's job could very well be on the line and he's gonna want to get something in return, but, and as i say this i have to admit i've always been a Rick Nash fan, i hope if Howson doesn't get something he likes, that Nash is either forced to play, or sit. I'm so sick of multi-millionare NHLers being able to choose where they go. Sure, Nash has been everything CBJ could have asked for, but how is it he signed such a HUGE deal not that long ago, and now suddenly wants out? What did he see less than 3 years ago that made him willing to sign longterm in Columbus?
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  11:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Sure, Nash has been everything CBJ could have asked for, but how is it he signed such a HUGE deal not that long ago, and now suddenly wants out? What did he see less than 3 years ago that made him willing to sign longterm in Columbus?

well they had made the playoffs (although not much success).
they probably told him they were planning on sinking some money into the team (which they did) and trying to contend (which they did not).

now from nash's POV the team is worse than it has ever been and he's right back to square one. good for him, who would want to play on the worst team with no fans? i sure know i wouldn't.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page