Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Is the NHL playing it's way to the end? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JobajobaSobre
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  04:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look where the NHL is today...Sid the Kid, best player in hockey, sidelined with a Concussion. We cannot determine, nor guess the future his career holds. Yes, we expect a hall of fame legend, who challenges the record books to be re-written. But has the NHL ever been through an era like this before? One that is filled with so many life changing injuries? No, it has not. The game continues to evolve each year a new rookie class enters the league; Nugent Hopkins, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, the Oilers youth as an example. Each of these players are an example of purebred Canadian hockey. The agility, speed, skill, and integrity which they bring to the game is unlike anything the 1950's has ever seen. Did Sam Gagner score on Terry Sawchuk last night in the shootout? Sawchy RIP, died 42 years ago. Terry was never raised on the technology we live and breath today, the world and everything inside of it had to evolve through time first.

The game of hockey doesn't change because we are making it better, it changes because the world is evolving. I love hockey, and the NHL is a great league, but isn't it clouding our attention? To love, to be addicted, to know where Nash will end up at the deadline. Has the game of hockey exceeded what it should be?
Announcer: "Jesus Mayan making his major league debut! His Ancestors, who predicted the world to end in 2012, did not play hockey 10,000 years ago." "Oh well that's too bad Tom, it's a great game played with a UFO.""

Why do we think our evolution is invincible? Does our clouded vision see as clear on a sunny day as it did for a Mayan?

Sidney Crosby has lived the life of a prodigy, raised with the pressure of performance, and the expectations of greatness. Was it not similar to Wayne Gretzky, only taking place at a different time? Is the Oilers youth playing for a better team, in a better league than 99? No. They are different players, playing in a different time.

The NHL's pace, carried by the players, is always getting faster and stronger. Concussions have become more and more of an issue. Are we starting to see the limits of the human body? Sid's career is slipping away from him. It isn't sudden loss of skill which keeps Kid Canada sidelined. It's the place in which his hockey sense lives, his head. Unfortunately for Sid, he would have been better off breaking a leg, because the game has evolved past the limits of impact our brain can take. Players will play, but hits to the head will take them away. One, Two, Three strikes your out.

If the NHL's prodigal son cannot use his body at the pace of the NHL anymore, have we reached the evolution of The End?

Guest0342
( )

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  09:12:34  Reply with Quote
nobody wants to read a long-ass question!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  09:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not really true. Most have no prob with reading something that long, but holy *%$&! I'm not even sure what i just read. Is the frickin' world coming to an end or something??? Lol....

Either way, welcome to the site Joba......i think?
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  13:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was definitely way longer than it needed to be, to ask the simple question is the NHL become so fast and furious that the human body can not take the punishment needed to play? Crosby wasn't the biggest guy to begin with coming into the league. Just a tremendous amount of skill, when you are the league's superstar, you also wear a bullseye on your back, that is just how it goes in hockey. If Shanny can keep on trucking and trying to clean up the hits, while still keeping the fast pace hard hitting game we love, than people like Crosby might have a chance to play a full career, even at the pace the league is going.
Go to Top of Page

Statman
Rookie

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  14:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an interesting post that was. I'm still not sure where the Mayans fit in but let me just say that though their celestial knowledge was impressive, they lacked the clairvoyance to keep their own civilization from crumbling.

As for hockey, and particularly as it relates to head trauma, it's worth noting that UFC doesn't seem to have those same concerns, and it's a sport where pummeling an opponent's head is in fact the goal of the game. Hockey seems to be ahead of the curve in its understanding of concussion related problems. So to answer the original question that was posed (I think), it's not the game that has changed so much, but rather our perception that has taken the quantum leap.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  15:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mayans? Quantum leaps? World evolution? Clairovoyance??UFO??

Nerds....
Go to Top of Page

Guest1451
( )

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  20:01:40  Reply with Quote
You are either a first year university Lit. major or you are on awesome drugs. If it is the latter can you please post your dealer's number?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  01:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FER....YOU'RE the NERD!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  03:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe drugs and alcohol MAY have been involved with this post. Pretty funny stuff.

To answer Jobajobasobre's question,

no.
I think hockey has not reached its "human limit" at all. I think a simple change in equipment (which will probably never happen) would go a very long way to solving a lot of concussion issues, in fact.

And I'd like to point out that in all sports, the move to a gladiator-like paradigm is happening almost across the board. Bigger, stronger, faster, better trained athletes; leads to more dangerous plays, often shorter careers, more severe injuries. And, that is all coupled with greater reward - more money.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4465
( )

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  03:21:49  Reply with Quote
Oh my ... not another 30 - something year old who lives in his parents garage/basement...
Go to Top of Page

Guest7961
( )

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  11:37:40  Reply with Quote
I would rather watch the Chris and Dave Show than re-read that.
Go to Top of Page

jasonstem
Top Prospect

5 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  06:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes games need adapting or changes, the important thing is to realize it early on and then act.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6412
( )

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  06:48:35  Reply with Quote
Headshots HAVE to stop!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page