Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 SJ vs. DET Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  16:32:18  Show Profile
quote:
This compared to two rock-solid, veteran defensemen in Rivet and Hannan, arguably the two best rookie defensemen in Carle and Vlasic, a good PP quarterback and a solid hitter in Ehrhoff and McLaren respectively

I'd hardly call Rivet and Hannan "rock solid". They each had a whopping 24 points this season. Even "overrated" (as some people argue) Gonchar had more than that. Over twice as many more, he had 67. Lidstrom, another veteran d-man, had 62. Carle I'd agree with though, he's pretty decent. But "rookie defensemen" is kind of a narrow category. How many rookie defensemen ARE there? Not to put my money on the Wings though, I think SJ's going to take this.

Oh yeah, and about Nashville--the only reason they were 3rd in the West was because of their easy division. Had they had a harder one they would've been down a few places. Same goes for Detroit.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/28/2007 16:49:42
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  17:21:50  Show Profile
quote:
Carle I'd agree with though, he's pretty decent. But "rookie defensemen" is kind of a narrow category. How many rookie defensemen ARE there?

As far as 'rookies' go, I would agree that Carle and Vlasic are two of the best Rookie Defensemen. Others to throw in the debate would be Ian White and Nathan Paetsch (Maybe Picard too but his +/- was attrocious - perhaps not so much his fault thou playing on PHI). Honorable mentions go to Colaiacovo, Giordano, and Kukkonen.

That all being said, if we expanded the debate to 'young Dmen' - THEN we'd have an interesting discussion. :)

We'd have to bring in players such as:
Phaneuf, Weber, and Meszaros - Who are all younger than Carle
and Pitkanen and Bouwmeister who I think are 1 year older.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:10:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
This compared to two rock-solid, veteran defensemen in Rivet and Hannan, arguably the two best rookie defensemen in Carle and Vlasic, a good PP quarterback and a solid hitter in Ehrhoff and McLaren respectively

I'd hardly call Rivet and Hannan "rock solid". They each had a whopping 24 points this season. Even "overrated" (as some people argue) Gonchar had more than that. Over twice as many more, he had 67. Lidstrom, another veteran d-man, had 62. Carle I'd agree with though, he's pretty decent.

Is the only criterion for a solid defenseman points? In fact it's quite the opposite. Scott Hannan has NEVER been a points-producer and hardly ever plays on the PP. He is just the shut-down defenseman who plays against every opponent's top gun and considering that as a team, SJ finished with the 5th best team GAA (yeah, tied with Vancouver for all you Luongo-lovers ), I'd say he's done a pretty good job. And nothing against Carle, but Vlasic should be the defenseman, if any, that you consider as an exception to your argument, as he has proven himself more consistently reliable than Carle. Amazing how players who aren't flashy don't get much recognition...

TC, of course most SJ players played on the top line at some point. Well first of all with SJ, there isn't so much a top line as "1A" and "1B". The way Wilson juggles his lines, everyone would have played on either of those lines at some point during the year so I don't think your part-time 1st-liner comment has any relevance. If sending a 4th-liner (Clowe for example) up to the top line will create some offense (like putting him in front of the net on the PP, something Clowe did this year), then wouldn't you want to do that? And for argument's sake, Thornton-Marleau-Clowe were SJ's "top line" in the game where they beat Detroit 9-4. I wouldn't say that hurt them too much...

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/28/2007 19:11:54
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  08:11:06  Show Profile
Yeah OK, there's more to a defenseman than points, but from what I've seen Hannan just doesn't strike me as a top-notch veteran d-man the way Lidstrom does, for example. But of course I only see limited SJ games since I'm on the east, so maybe I haven't seen enough to really get a good idea.

And yeah, I meant to include Vlasic with Carle. I was thinking "Vlasic and Carle" but I only typed one of them by accident...
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:17:11  Show Profile
Is this one looking closer than you thought it was going to be Babs?

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

Guest9344
( )

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:56:17
Hey it's Babs, I'm just at work right now and don't want to sign in because I won't have time to read all the new posts...

Well no I don't think it is closer, I said it would go down just like the Nashville series and so far so good (win Game 1, lose Game 2, win Game 3...). I am positive that Detroit has woken the beast now that SJ actually played the last two periods of a game (finally). I think SJ will win Game 4 convincingly then squeak out a win on Saturday in Game 5. If not, Detroit takes Game 5 at home then SJ wins Game 6 at home.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9344
( )

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:58:11
Ugh, can't edit...

Plus, SJ dominated those last two periods and Thornton was a man possessed. I think we can all expect more of this for the rest of the series.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  07:58:03  Show Profile
It was definitely the best game of the series thus far. Very entertaining.

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  17:31:05
Where are all those SJ bandwagoners now?
lol...

... and Detroit wins it!! Goal scored by Mathieu Schneider, assisted by Scott "Rock Solid" Hannan.

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  18:30:31  Show Profile
Can you believe what Nabokov did? He goes way out of his net to swat a puck away that the defensemen could've just gotten, but Datsyuk is right there and grabs the puck, Nabokov can't get back to the goal in time, and Datsyuk scores! And the announcers were picking on Hasek earlier for letting in one goal...HA! Nabokov demonstrated some sloppy goaltending for them. This game wasn't even close. Detroit dominated the Sharks. The series is close, but Detroit owned that game. I still think SJ will take it though.
Go to Top of Page

D-fender6
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  20:50:11  Show Profile
ouch! punishing lose in game 5 for the sharks, but im still saying sharks in 7.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  21:41:08  Show Profile
I'm a wings fan and in no way did i see the wings having that easy of a win against this sharks team...i don't see the next game having any game 5 play...i think its back to games 1-4 when they suit up tonight

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  12:42:29  Show Profile
Well I know this series isn't close to over yet, but the Admin started a new topic about this series, so let's swing over there now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page