Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Green on Connolly Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  21:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a funny feeling Mike Green will be missing a bit of hockey after this hit!!!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-green-earn-nhl-discipline-hit-brett-connolly-020626932.html;_ylt=Arll849N6EU5aL2qLuzTcfRShgM6

Even with no penalty called on the play, this looks like a pretty easy one to throw a suspension at him for.

Player hit in a vulnerable position? CHECK
Hitter gets elbow up for contact? CHECK
Hitter targets head? CHECK (or was that the neck?)

Enjoy your time off Mike!

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that didn't take long! As a repeat offender, i'm surprised he didn't get more, though Connolly did return so i'm sure that played a HUGE part in it!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-03-08/mike-green-hit-brett-connolly/53425468/1
Go to Top of Page

Guest2907
( )

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  23:11:13  Reply with Quote
I understand what Alex116 is saying in regards to the player returning to the game after the hit might have had a HUGE part into why the suspension wasn't longer. Personally, I hope not.

Whether an apparent non-injury was a determining factor or not, in my opinion, is irrelevant. The player (Green) is INTENTIONALLY making a decision to target the head and/or at the very least is hitting a player that is (more or less) in a fairly defenseless position.

This type of hit VERY EASILY could have caused a far more serious injury and THAT is what should be considered in regards to suspensions/ fines etc (NOT whether the player was injured or not).

If the league is serious about removing the "lack of respect" or "cheap shot" hits from the game then these types of hits should be dealt with every bit as harshly as those hits that do cause more noteable injuries. It's trying to get players to alter their decision making while engaging one another that has to change.

3 games is a bit mild in my opinion (especially considering Mr, Green is a repeat offender). If you want to send a message (NHL) then SEND A MESSAGE.

I think players wallets can handle 10 games just as easy as 3 games. Not to mention 10 games will affect a teams success etc much more than 3 so...

Anyways, just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  08:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2907

I understand what Alex116 is saying in regards to the player returning to the game after the hit might have had a HUGE part into why the suspension wasn't longer. Personally, I hope not.

Whether an apparent non-injury was a determining factor or not, in my opinion, is irrelevant. The player (Green) is INTENTIONALLY making a decision to target the head and/or at the very least is hitting a player that is (more or less) in a fairly defenseless position.

This type of hit VERY EASILY could have caused a far more serious injury and THAT is what should be considered in regards to suspensions/ fines etc (NOT whether the player was injured or not).

If the league is serious about removing the "lack of respect" or "cheap shot" hits from the game then these types of hits should be dealt with every bit as harshly as those hits that do cause more noteable injuries. It's trying to get players to alter their decision making while engaging one another that has to change.

3 games is a bit mild in my opinion (especially considering Mr, Green is a repeat offender). If you want to send a message (NHL) then SEND A MESSAGE.

I think players wallets can handle 10 games just as easy as 3 games. Not to mention 10 games will affect a teams success etc much more than 3 so...

Anyways, just my opinion.

WOW! I'm not sure i've EVER agreed with a post as much as i do this one!

I think Shanahan / Banahan said it perfectly, when he said " he targeted the head of a player who had been placed in a vulnerable position for a considerable amount of time prior to the check". If anyone fails to see this, then they must be clinically blind!

FTR....Guest2907, i too cannot stand the fact that it's become the norm now to punish on outcome. Read the article i posted the link to below and he (puck daddy) even mentions as much (that had Connolly been more injured, the suspension would have been harsher).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/capitals-mike-green-suspended-3-games-for-head-shot-on-lightings-brett-connolly?urn=nhl,wp27273
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  04:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally had a second to watch this clip.

Terrible hit, exactly what hockey wants to eliminate . . . and by a repeat offender. Should have easily been more than 3 games, 5-8 at least I would have guess.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page