Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2007 IIHF World Championship Winner Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who will be the 2007 IIHF World Championship Gold Medalist?

Choices:

Sweden
Czech Republic
Canada
Finland
Russia
Germany
USA
Other

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem

Ordinarily I'd say Canada, but their team doesn't look as strong this year, plus Crosby isn't playing. The only other roster I've seen is the US, and we don't look like we have a medal-capable team (). Russia's got Ovie and Malkin, which is always a plus, so I'd say it'll come down to either them or Canada. Although Canada's team is not as strong as usual, it's stronger than most of the other countries' teams. Final game will be CAN-RUS, and I'm gonna say Russia will take it (I said the same thing in the World Juniors, and Canada won! Let's see if I get it right this time...)
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so everyone knows Mik has another discussion going on this topic at: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2184

Feel free to post in either one.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  18:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Canada will win because they have a legit team i think and the runner-ups will be Russia and the US of A

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Guest0987
( )

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  18:25:09  Reply with Quote
i said canada but its mostly because i live there
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow we got alot of nationality pride (i don't think that is actually a term i think i just made it up lol), because like everyone is voting for Canada and i believe that it will be Russia, they have lots of there star players (not all of them) out of the playoffs. And Canada has lots in like Briere,Brodeur,Luongo,Heatley,Spezza,Marleau,Niedermayer,Thornton and the list goes on. It's too bad that Crosby (as much as I hate him I would love to win gold and he would take us there),Lecavalier,St.Louis and others that aren't in the playoffs aren't on the team. AND HOW COULDY STEVIE Y FORGET SAKIC!!!!! Like seriously who in there right mind would take Jamal Mayers over a sure Hall Of Famer in Burnaby Joe.

Edited by - -oil-country- on 04/27/2007 20:21:26
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  21:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada, of course. They are always favored in every world hockey competition. It's up to the other countries to upset them.

And dude, Sakic was asked, didn't want to go. Lots of guys get asked and decline. It's not like they overlook people. Plus, it's Russia, man. Would you want to go to Russia for a nothing tournament (Let's face it, it's meaningless) if you just finished a grueling season where you just made 6 million dollars? I can't say I blame them, really.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  21:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Canada, of course. They are always favored in every world hockey competition. It's up to the other countries to upset them.

And dude, Sakic was asked, didn't want to go. Lots of guys get asked and decline. It's not like they overlook people. Plus, it's Russia, man. Would you want to go to Russia for a nothing tournament (Let's face it, it's meaningless) if you just finished a grueling season where you just made 6 million dollars? I can't say I blame them, really.

But you just said this in another thread.
quote:
Also...Mario did not always answer the call when Hockey Canada needed him. If you are wondering why he is not as revered to this day in Toronto and the HoF, that's one of the biggest reasons. As a Canadian, I know it kept me from idolizing him like I did the Great One, who always answered the call.

Just sayin'...

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  08:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3-2 Canada over Germany!!!!

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  08:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O Canda!
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  08:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh I was unaware that he declined thank you for the correction.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  09:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow did Jamal Mayers ever prove me wrong, 2 goals including the game-winner. Nice picking Stevie.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  09:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Until the 2002 Olympics, Canada hadn't won gold since 1956. And then they got their butts kicked in Torino. And Sweden won the WC last year. Not saying Canada isn't good (they certainly are), just saying you can't always expect them to be guaranteed to win. In Vancouver though, you're right. Canada will have Crosby and all their best players, they're getting gold in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Marian
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  09:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slovakia

Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  10:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marian

Slovakia

same i think slovakia to win i think they have gaborik demitra vishnovsky and lots of other people but if slovakia gets out then i think russia has a chance

Edited by - number1leafsfan on 04/29/2007 10:55:39
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  11:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think Slovakia will because they need goaltending and its just not there.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  15:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have Halak, he's not bad...
Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  16:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

but hes not good

Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  16:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well when he played for the Habs, everyone was raving about how great he was doing. As soon as he goes off to the Worlds, pfff--he's only average....

Today (or yesteday, whatever time it was in Moscow), he made 24 saves to shut out the Norwegians...I mean, yeah it is Norway, they're not that good, but hey, any shut out is a success of some degree. Plus his season stats were alright: 16 GP, 10 W, 2 SO, .906 SV%. That's pretty good. Not stellar, but pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  16:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well when he played for the Habs, everyone was raving about how great he was doing. As soon as he goes off to the Worlds, pfff--he's only average....

Today (or yesteday, whatever time it was in Moscow), he made 24 saves to shut out the Norwegians...I mean, yeah it is Norway, they're not that good, but hey, any shut out is a success of some degree. Plus his season stats were alright: 16 GP, 10 W, 2 SO, .906 SV%. That's pretty good. Not stellar, but pretty good.

just like i said hes not that bad but hes not that great he is average i never said he sucked

Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

Marian
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  21:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number1leafsfan

quote:

just like i said hes not that bad but hes not that great he is average i never said he sucked

Go Leafs Go

Well I think that to be called from AHL for the most important games he showed some skill and desrves the respect and considering his age - I think that he is very good
but hey - we can all see it on TSN on Wednesday :-)
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  03:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops, I didnt think he was playing He isnt gold medal material though.

Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada the Staal brothers are going to connect and score a lot of goals!
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbraiter

Canada the Staal brothers are going to connect and score a lot of goals!

I personlly dont agree. Just because they are brothers dosent mean they will play well together. You never know though.

Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[img]http://ec.europa.eu/education/img/flags/canada.gif[/img]

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  15:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[img]http://www.artie.com/patriotic/arg_us_flag.gif[/img]

Well, I wish...

I'm putting my money on Russia. They'll play Canada in the gold medal game. It's tough to say though: Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Frolov, Morozov, Radulov, Gonchar, and Markov vs. Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Commodore, Cammalleri, Weber, Nash, Lombardi, Doan, Toews, and Williams. That should be a good game.
Go to Top of Page

moosewinooski44
Top Prospect

31 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously Canada duh.....

My Quest For The Cup Username is moose44
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts