Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 First pick Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  05:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the playoffs just a couple weeks away, I just want some opinions. If you were to draft first in your playoff pool who would you take? that is who do you think will be a big point getter on a team that is assured to go deep, maybe not win the cup, but at least go deep. Right now, if I were to take first pick overall, it would probably be Gino, I think he is going to keep rolling right into the playoffs

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux

Guest8687
( )

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  05:38:03  Reply with Quote
Good Question, I'd pick Malkin I know Crosby is playing but he's one hit away from Retirement.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  06:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic, and something I think about daily now . . .

Well, the key to any 1st pick is most likely a guy on a finals team. And yes, Pittsburgh is my first bet for that from the east. And I have to agree, Malkin is I think the best choice, for sure.

Where to actually put Crosby AFTER that though is the big issue I am having.

Who is coming out of the West? Do I put another eastern guy - Giroux, Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk - next? Or do I go with one of the many choices out west . . . wait, there aren't any really, past Hossa and the Sedins!

Truthfully, we'll need to see match-ups before we really think this through. That being said, with low scoring teams in the playoffs like St. Louis, San Jose, and Nashville in the mix . . . and no clear-cut point superstars this year really from Detroit . . . it'll be mostly eastern guys in the top 10, I feel.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest5091
( )

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:13:31  Reply with Quote
One of the Sedins has a concussion from the Keith hit, too. I don't really see Vancouver actually getting all that far. I like St-Louis or Detroit out of the west but Nashville's the wild card in there.

I'd probably go with Crosby 2nd. Go big or go home. Then again, the playoff pools I tend to be in have no points for 2nd place.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing Malkin goes #1 in 99% of standard scoring pools. With Crosby back, Pittsburgh looking strong AND the east seeming to be the more wide open conference these days (not to mention, the Pens are the Vegas favorites currently), the big question is where does Crosby go? I'm guessing most will roll the dice with him and he'll be 2nd in most drafts but it'll be interesting to see how far he may slide in some? I'd be guessing not much further than 3rd or 4th at most. Funny, getting the 2nd overall pick in a playoff draft is usually a great spot, but i bet a lot of people won't be wanting that pick and the decision that comes with it.

I think only a die hard Canucks fan will take Henrik early (top5) considering the unknown status of his brother (should i call Daniel his sister? Maybe that will be funny? ) Personally, i'll do what i usually do, and steer clear of the Canucks. That way, if they go deep i enjoy the playoffs and if they don't, hopefully the other guys i do pick win me some cash!
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stamkos. With crosby coming back, malkins production over the whole season will be down.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Stamkos. With crosby coming back, malkins production over the whole season will be down.

stamkos? Do you really see TB going past the second round, maybe not even past the first. Hell, they might not even make it...

malkin is nearly 2 ppt since Crosby came back... It's hard to deny that he's the scoring backbone for PIT this year, he would be as #1 as they come I think. he has shown he can produce in the playoffs before, and will probably do it again.

The west is tough - I too see the potential for lots of low scoring games and upsets, it's hard to pick winners there.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Crosby will be taken right behind Malkin, the way he's played this year (when he has actually played) he'll be worth the gamble of possible injury again. plus Pittsburgh is one of the only teams I'll be surprised if they don't go deep

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:51:05  Reply with Quote
There is no mistaking this thread for a Leaf one!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:00:35  Reply with Quote
Ill be taking Brad Marchand first just like i did last year.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Funny guy.

I knew a funny guy once . . . spent all his money on hockey pools, went broke, now he makes jokes outside the liquor store begging for change.

Still funny though.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  11:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4271

Ill be taking Brad Marchand first just like i did last year.

Wow, even if you did in fact luck out and use your first pick last year for Marchand, i'd love to be in a pool with you! BTW, the question was who would you take 1st overall in a playoff pool (this season). Now, if you got 20th pick overall in a pool with 20 teams, i guess taking Marchand wouldnt' be so silly. But 1st?

BTW, Sahis.......i really hope you were talking about a regular season pool? TB is not just unlikely to make the playoffs (they're 7 pts behind 8th place with 3 teams to catch/pass), they're as good as dead.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  13:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad I thought we were talking about next year's regular season. To clarify; no I wouldn't take stamkos.
malkin, crosby, gaborik, would likely be my first pick
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  14:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Radulov
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  16:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evgeni Malkin would be my first choice, but beyond that I have no clue. Might be one of those years where I hope i have a mid to late 1st round pick in my pool, which is a snake type draft.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  18:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

Radulov

might not be a bad choice, Nashville might actually make a splash this year, and Radulov could get a few points...

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest0959
( )

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  20:41:03  Reply with Quote
good choice with radulov, but why not brad richards in nyr?
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  20:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

Radulov

haha that's a good one, radulov funny. Stamkos would probably do more from his couch
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  20:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Disclaimer* The following is my opinion, and my opinion only.

Anyone taking Radulov 1st overall is crazy. The only way in the world someone could possibly do so would be a die hard Pred's fan and even then it's questionable. Even then it'd have to be a huge draft whereby the guy/gal doesn't think he/she would have a chance to pick him in round 2. Any draft of 10 or less teams (snake style) and you could prob still get him on the way back, even if you pick 1 and 20!

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad pick, at the right point, but just not 1st overall!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  04:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad Richards might still be considered a little gamble, because the Rangers haven't had a strong playoff run in a little while, despite finishing first, possibly 4th if Pittsburgh manages to pass them, if they finish 4th they will most likely be playing Philly, a tough team with a lot of skill. In which case I would put my money on the Rangers exiting first round, unless they can hold on to the first spot in the east.

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  05:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rangers are 5-0 against the Flyers this season, but even so, they still scare me as a potential first round matchup.

As for Brad Richards, he'd be my first choice as far as Rangers go, ahead of Gaborik.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  05:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Anyone taking Radulov 1st overall is crazy. The only way in the world someone could possibly do so would be a die hard Pred's fan and even then it's questionable. Even then it'd have to be a huge draft whereby the guy/gal doesn't think he/she would have a chance to pick him in round 2. Any draft of 10 or less teams (snake style) and you could prob still get him on the way back, even if you pick 1 and 20!

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad pick, at the right point, but just not 1st overall!!!!

Um, just guessing here, but . . . I think it was a joke. Like, sarcasm.

Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  05:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay Ryan, I see what you're saying, the first Ranger I take would be Richards to, I just don't think I would take a Ranger first overall, would probably want to strip apart the big guys on Pittsburgh first, but the point of this thread was to see other teams people would "bet the farm" on going deep, doesn't seem to be as many this year...

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  07:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nor would I. I think they definitely have a shot at going all the way, but to me the Penguins have to be considered the favorites. As I said in my first post, if I get first pick I'll be taking Evgeni Malkin. After that, I'm not so sure though. If Crosby can get through the rest of the regular season healthy & continues to put up points at the rate he has been, then I'd definintely have to think about taking him next. I'm pretty sure the top Pens will be picked up early, so it'll be quickly on to plan B. What that is I don't know.

The West is a tough one. Vancouver? Detroit? Nashville? St.Louis? Chicago? San Jose? Assuming they make it, Los Angeles? It wouldn't surprise me to see any of the above teams go deep.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  08:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

Um, just guessing here, but . . . I think it was a joke. Like, sarcasm.

Slozo, you might be right, but i'm not convinced. Foolpittier certainly didn't give us much to go on by his rather brief post, and maybe he was just throwing it out there as a guy "not to forget"? If it was sarcasm and i missed it, i must have missed the guest's sarcasm in his reply when he said "good choice with radulov, but why not brad richards in nyr?"? Are we to assume one of the best guys off the top team from the East was meant as sarcasm too?
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  08:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marchant, Radulov, Malkin, Gaborik and with my bias, Bergeron.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0959
( )

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  09:30:00  Reply with Quote
I do not understand why Radulov would not be good first pick. If it is a playoff pool, why not take a giant risk that Nashville will go far?

In the west, is there a team that is better defensively? Weber, Suter are probably the best tandem in hockey.

Their goaltending is great, one of the best, if not best, in the league. Nashville most likely end up playing Chicago, which isn't an easy team to play. But, their goaltending is suspect, and Toews is concussed.

Last year, Nashville gave Vancouver huge issues. What was missing? Offense. It was balanced but lacked any real "oomph". That is what (in my opinion) Radulov may give them.

It is a risk, but I really think that Radulov would be a defensible, if not legitimate first pick(if not first overall, then at least an individual's first pick.)
Go to Top of Page

Guest0959
( )

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:19:37  Reply with Quote
sorry, disregard above chicago comments, Nashville would play detroit(gulp) if the standings remain the way they are, so my mistake.

That kind of makes it lean against Nashville, and thus Radulov.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  15:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See Slozo, these guys were serious about the Radulov pick!

Guest0959....with all due respect, he's just not a guy i can see many taking with the 1st overall pick. Now, if you have 9th or 10th overall in your draft, i could see someone taking a flyer on him? Personally, i wouldn't touch him till the 2nd round, but that's just me. But, my whole point was that the OP asked for opinions on who everyone would lean towards with the #1 overall pick in a playoff pool. IMO, taking Radulov would be a huge risk. Radulov and Nashville could go all the way and he still may put up only 20 points in that system. On the other had, Malkin and Crosby could easily get 20+ and lose in the semi's!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  22:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

See Slozo, these guys were serious about the Radulov pick!

Guest0959....with all due respect, he's just not a guy i can see many taking with the 1st overall pick. Now, if you have 9th or 10th overall in your draft, i could see someone taking a flyer on him? Personally, i wouldn't touch him till the 2nd round, but that's just me. But, my whole point was that the OP asked for opinions on who everyone would lean towards with the #1 overall pick in a playoff pool. IMO, taking Radulov would be a huge risk. Radulov and Nashville could go all the way and he still may put up only 20 points in that system. On the other had, Malkin and Crosby could easily get 20+ and lose in the semi's!!!

I can't believe it Alex . . . I retreat in the face of ignorance (hand on face) . . . fair enough, call them idiots, they deserve it.

I mean - to get serious again - I do get the "darkhorse" pick as your potential "top 5" guy. For me, I have many on my personal "darkhorse" list - Brad Richards is probably #1. James Neal is #2. Kris Letang is right there, as is Lidstrom. Heck, in the west . . . there are almost too many to mention, as all the teams are closely ranked and hard to choose between. But Backes would be my #1 darkhorse from St. Louis.

But Radulov? Not even a very likely or good pick as a darkhorse, IMHO. He's not a super soft player, but . . . he's also not tough - and in the playoffs, it's a whole different level. He may be a bit fresher, but . . . he's not used to the grinding play either anymore. I REALLY don't see it.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0959
( )

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  22:34:55  Reply with Quote
maybe convince others to take him too early so you get better picks :)
Go to Top of Page

Guest0959
( )

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  22:38:16  Reply with Quote
And I think I misunderstand "1st pick" terminology. I usually think, my first pick, not the very first pick in the draft,
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  04:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well that's what I meant, your first pick. assuming you got first pick overall lol

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest4465
( )

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  05:23:43  Reply with Quote
KYLE TURRIS!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smart play would be Malkin or Crosby, but if I dont get first pick I can see the arguement for a Radulov. Most team havent adjusted to how this guy plays and you cant say he doesn't deserve the offensive hype and I expect Nashville to go deep. So I'd say Radulov might actually be a good pick.

Richards and Gaborik would be risky in the playoffs because the Rangers usually crap hardcore in the playoffs and even though they enter the playoff with the 1 ranking in the East, either Washington or Buffalo might be a tough 1st round opponent as both are pushing hard now and coming into playoff form.

A guy like Karlson if you expect the Sens to get by Boston. I would think Boston handles the Sens in the first round. Should The Sens handle Boston, the Rangers and Pittsburg match up well with Ottawa
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  16:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I expect Nashville to go deep. So I'd say Radulov might actually be a good pick.

Richards and Gaborik would be risky in the playoffs because the Rangers usually crap hardcore in the playoffs and even though they enter the playoff with the 1 ranking in the East, either Washington or Buffalo might be a tough 1st round opponent as both are pushing hard now and coming into playoff form.

A guy like Karlson if you expect the Sens to get by Boston. I would think Boston handles the Sens in the first round. Should The Sens handle Boston, the Rangers and Pittsburg match up well with Ottawa

WHAT?? Nashville will go farther than NYR because the Rangers usually crap out in the playoffs? You could be right, but to state that as a prediction is kinda weird. Nashville is kinda like Washington was in the late 80's to me. Always a solid team, and a perennial disappointment in the post season. Just happy to be there.

It was said every year, 'they should be playoff ready by now, and they have such a balanced team....'. Well, it never happened, and as much as everybody loves Mr. Trotz, Mr. Weber, Mr. Suter, and Comrade Radulov, it ain't gonna happen. You can quote me on that.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  16:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on the standings today, I don't see Radulov in the to 10 picks going into the playoffs. I would easily put Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Giroux, Gaborik, Sedin( both), Zetterberg, Datsuyk, Hossa, Kane, Sharp.

There is 12 guys off the top of my head and that only forwards. Guys like Letang and Lidstrom would also be ahead of Radulov. Also a guy like Toews would be ahead of Radulov if healthy.

Seriously, if you would pick Radulov in the 1st round please let me know if you have any room in your draft.

I want in.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  16:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, obviously Radulov is a dark, dark horse. I have been known to take some in past pools (ie Forsberg, and more recently Sid), but the Preds just don't have the nuts to get the job done. I could probably name another dozen after the ones Beans mentioned that I would pick before any Predator. Although, I do like to be unpredictable, as I know some in my pools post on here regularly.

No, really Shepsky, the Preds are gonna tank. I guarantee it.

Nudge and/or wink.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  13:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all comes down to first round matchups, right now the preds are against detroit first round, Detroit has played inconsistently this year (at least for Detroit's standards) and have only won 2 out of their last 10. Western conference is a shake up though, and the Preds could be playing Chicago first round, who have been playing well recently, but still not consistent throughout the year. I would at least say the preds will make it to round 2.

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  19:17:19  Reply with Quote
My answer right now is a big depends. We need to see who's playing who in the first round match-ups first. And it also depends on the rules in your draft. (i.e. How many people are in your draft, etc.)

If the Penguins and Flyers meet up in the first round, do you want to take Malkin as your first pick? If the Canucks play the Coyotes in the first round, I would take the Sedins ahead of Malkin in this scenario. No disrespect to the Yotes (or Penguins), but I would rate the Canucks as a bigger favourite over the Coyotes, than the Penguins would be over the Flyers if these were the first round match-ups. And in playoff pools, it's more about which team goes the furthest than which players had the most regular season points.

And what if the Hawks play the Wings in the first round? Do you want to take 3 players from each team, knowing that one team will be eliminated in the first round?

Once again, it depends on your pool situation, and moreso, it depends on the first round match-ups!

Go to Top of Page

Guest7961
( )

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  03:13:46  Reply with Quote
Gabby Dougan
Art Hindle
Peter Stempopouloupoulous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic