Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Best goalie you've seen Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  06:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's the best goalie you've seen play?

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In person or ever?

If ever I'm all for Roy and Brodeur.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't have to be in person, no.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, then Brodeur and Roy.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Felix Potvin...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  18:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant Fuhr in his prime. He practially invented the glove save in the splits. His GAA wasn't great, but how many break aways or 2 on 1's did his face as an Oiler?? He was so athletic and had such great flexability. He was fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  21:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may not be in my top ten all-time, but the best performance ever was by Curtis Joseph when he was with the Blues in 1992-93.

They did not make the finals, but he was as outstanding as any goalie ever has been or ever will be in those 10 or 11 games.

Ever...my heart says Ken Dryden, but I know it is probably Patrick Roy.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  21:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Grant Fuhr in his prime. He practially invented the glove save in the splits. His GAA wasn't great, but how many break aways or 2 on 1's did his face as an Oiler?? He was so athletic and had such great flexability. He was fun to watch.

Fuhr was never a top goalie. He made some great saves when they counted, was overall solid, but never elite.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh.. yeah... and I'd have to take the boring (common) answer and say Brodeur.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  22:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

Fuhr was never a top goalie. He made some great saves when they counted, was overall solid, but never elite.

Tell that to the Hall of Fame committee. He's inducted (2003). They don't usually put in "solid" goalies.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  10:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur and Roy...they are amazing goalies

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

Tell that to the Hall of Fame committee. He's inducted (2003). They don't usually put in "solid" goalies.

That's what great teams and Stanley Cups will do for you...
Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best ive seen retired: Patrick Roy

Best ive seen Current: Brodeur

Best Ever: Sawchuk or Roy

I am what I am- Sid The Kid
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  01:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Felix Potvin...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...

Hahahahahaha....Oh man, I was a huge Potvin fan growing up. He was bar far my favorite as a kid. And I loved his comeback with the Kings after the Nucks nearly ruined him. I got to say, although the leafs are my favorite team, I was absolutely disgusted with how they treated Felix in 98. Getting Cujo was fine, but they should have traded felix right away, instead of leaving him hanging for 1/2 a year.
However as I aged, I realized how great Roy was THROUGHOUT his career. I personally believe Roy is the best PLAYER of all-time. He was effective THROUGHOUT his career. He has almost every playoff record. he has the most Conne-Smythes, the most playoff games, and the most p-off wins (I think). And the amazing part is, he didn't drag out his career like so many other players. Did Wayne, Mario, Mess or Howe leave the game as an effective player? NO!!!!!! (Bobby Orr did, but Roy's career was much longer)..Anyone whoever claims Brodeur was better than Roy is dead to me (in hockey terms)....Roy reinvented goaltending. The 80's was loaded with sieves, than some very young kid steals the show in the 86 p-offs with his fancy modern day butterfly style, and a whole new wave of goaltenders is born. For a while there, it seemed the majority of up-and-coming goalies were from Quebec. this isn't coincidence, this is because they all had an idol by the name of Roy. Roy was Marty's hero as a teenager (although Marty doesn't use the same style of goaltending that Patrick did). But Look at Luongo and Fluery, they are the offspring of the style Roy popularized. Watch any QMJHL hockey game, you'll see nothing but mini-Roy's.
You may not agree that Roy is the best player of all-time, but I hope you can all admit that Roy was the best Playoff performer of all-time.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 05/16/2007 01:08:38
Go to Top of Page

Guest9910
( )

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  21:07:18  Reply with Quote
Patrick Roy is the best I've ever seen.

Tretiak is the best I haven't seen (I think).
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  21:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just remember when i used to play on like the super nintendo and such trading off the wings goalies for roy and potvin...for some reason i just loved potvin haha

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page