Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 Greatest line ever? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theraj662
Top Prospect

48 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  04:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In game 3 of the of the best of 3 championship for the '87 Canada Cup between Canada and the Soviet Union, with the game tied late in the 3rd, team Canada coach Mike Keenan threw Wayne Gretzky over the boards with Mario Lemieux on the same line.

The result was Mario taking a pass from Gretzky and scoring the winning goal with 1:26 remaining in the game. By the way, that was Mario's 11th goal of the tournament! What a treat to see arguably the two greatest hockey players of all time, in their prime, ON THE SAME LINE!

Back then, when Canada played Russia it wasn't just Canada playing Russia, it was Canada vs. the Soviet Union. It was our way of life against theirs. It was the Free World vs. Communism. It was like the Cold War fought on ice. It wasn't just Canada beating The Soviet Union, it was US beating THEM. Those old enough to remember the Cold War will understand what I am talking about. These victories, as glorious as they were meant more to some than just mere hockey victories.

Anyways, enough of the political history lesson! It's time to get down to the monkey's brass balls and get to the Trivia!

Two questions:

Who was the 3rd forward on the Wayne/Mario line?

Second question:

When Wayne and Mario crossed over the blue line, Wayne had the puck, and a 3rd player went in with them and broke straight towards the net to act as a decoy allowing Wayne to pass backwards to an open Mario who was ahead of the defense. Mario made no mistake, firing a wrister over the goalie's shoulder to net the winner.

Who was the player that acted as the decoy?

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  05:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The third man on the line was Dale Hawerchuk. He was the one who took the face off that kick started the play to score the goal. He was also the one who hooked the Russian defender to the ice in the neutral zone which gave Lemiuex the clear path to the net. I often wonder what Canadians would have said if it was a Russian winning goal that had a Russian player haul down a Canadian?

Larry Murphy was the player who jumped up on the play and drove to the net as the 'decoy.'

I believe Paul Coffey was the other player on the ice and I think Fuhr was in net but I can't recall that 100%.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 05/11/2012 05:31:46
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  05:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer the second question, I believe it was Larry Murphy who jumped into the rush and "acted as the decoy". He was also the one you see getting his skates knocked out from underneath him mere moments after Mario scored the goal.
Go to Top of Page

theraj662
Top Prospect

48 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  08:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both answers are correct. I thought this question would be tougher than that. Congrats to getting it so fast!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  09:24:55  Reply with Quote
I remember when Harry Neale was coaching the Canucks many years ago (early 80's), and the team was struggling. They just couldn't put together two wins in a row.

When asked about his team's woes, this is what Harry Neale had to say:

“Last season we couldn’t win at home. This season we can’t win on the road. My only failure as a coach is I can’t think of any place else to play.”

That was one of the best lines ever!
Go to Top of Page

theraj662
Top Prospect

48 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  12:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LMFAO Guest4178!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  15:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, that was a line of hall of famers. I'm sure you all recall that Hawerchuk was a great one himself even though not a Gretzky or Lemieux.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  01:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are nuts! THIS, is the greatest line EVER!!!!

"Kiss me if i'm wrong, but isn't your name.....SLOZO???"

Sorry, thought you were talking 'bout picking up the ladies?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9882
( )

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  16:10:43  Reply with Quote
The GAG line.

Jean Ratelle (center), Rod Gilbert (right wing) and Vic Hadfield-C (left wing).

"Goal A Game"...no line has ever duplicated this, ever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAG_line

Regards
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  04:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GAG line has never been duplicated?

Have you ever heard of Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, my friend? Gretzky alone was more than a goal a game twice, and Kurri came very close himself with 71.

I would contend that without looking up further - into, perhaps, the Lemieux/Jagr/ lines perhaps, or the Bossy/Trottier lines - that Gretzky / Kurri / 3rd dude is the best goal scoring line of all time ever, and that no one else even comes close.

To whit:
80-81 (Kurri's rookie season, Gretzky's third)
Gretzky - 55 goals
Kurri - 32 goals
That year, Messier played most of the year on the other wing, btw . . . Messier - 23 goals (what a plug!)
TOTAL: 100 goals even (in an 80 game schedule). Well over a goal a game.

81-82
Gretzky - 92 goals
Kurri - 32 goals
Anderson - 38 goals, Semenko 12 goals
TOTAL: 162 goals (80 game schedule) if it's just Anderson, but probably closer to 140 as Anderson moved to Messier's line during the season and stuck there. tough to break this one down, if anyone else can help be my guest). Still at bare minimum a goal and a half a game, probably closer to a goal and 2/3.

82-83
Gretzky - 71 goals
Kurri - 45 goals
Semenko - 12 goals, + others
TOTAL: 130+ goals (80 game schedule) A Double GAG! (More than 2 goals a game)

83-84
Gretzky - 87 goals
Kurri - 52 goals
Semenko - 6, + others (he only played 56 games that season)
TOTAL: 146 if you just have Semenko's numbers, probably more like 150+
Holy Mother of Sweet F*^@, that's the most goals ever for any line I'd wager, and it's got Dave Semenko on it!

84-85
Gretzky - 73 goals
Kurri - 71 goals
Krushelnyski - 43 goals
TOTAL: 187 (80 games)
Holy Mother of Sweet F*^@, that's DEFINITELY the most goals ever for any line I'd wager, and it's got Mike Krushelnyski on it!!!

85-86
Gretzky - 52
Kurri - 68
Krushelnyski - 16 , Tikkanen - 7
TOTAL: 143 (80 games)
Another Double GAG. Krush was injured almost half the season, and Tikannen was put on the line as a rookie, so their totals should be almost exclusively on that line.

86-87
Gretzky - 62
Kurri - 54
Tikannen - 34
TOTAL: 150 goals (80 games)
Close to 2 goals a game.

87-88
Gretzky - 40
Kurri - 43
Tikannen - 23
TOTAL: 106 goals (80 games)
Note: This is one of the worst goal scoring years for Gretzky's line, and it's STILL WAY OVER A GAG. Yeah.

Then Gretzky's traded, etc. etc.
But there you have it: the greatest line ever in hockey goal scoring history was in essence Gretzky / Kurri / Krushelnyski that one year, and in any of the other years during their heyday it was Gretzky / Kurri / whoever.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  07:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I just looked up what was once the greatest line in recent times - the Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson line - and it's actually quite compareable!

2005/06
Heatley - 50 goals
Alfredsson - 43 goals
Spezza - 19 goals
TOTAL: 112 goals

06/07
Heatley - 50 g
Alfredsson - 29 g
Spezza - 34 g
TOTAL: 113 goals

07/08
Heatley - 41
Alfredsson - 40
Spezza - 34
TOTAL: 115 goals

Surprisingly consistent, and almost a goal and a half a game pace. Very impressive.

Some others . . . for further comparison.

2000/01
Jagr - 52 g
Lemieux - 35 g (in 43 games!!!)
Straka - 27
TOTAL: 115 goals . . . and really, when Lemieux was out, Kovalev was in there, and he scored 44 goals that year. Really, that Jagr line was probably closer to about 130 total goals. Very impressive.

1988/89 Pens top line (Lemieux's best season offensively)
Lemieux - 85 g
Rob Brown - 49 g
Cunneyworth - 25 g
TOTAL: 159 goals
Now, I know what you're saying . . . who the hell is Rob Brown?!?

92/93 Pens again with Lemieux/Jagr
Lemieux - 69 g
Stevens - 55 g
Jagr - 34 goals
TOTAL: 158 goals
Wow, that Penguins team was dynamite. The top line is right up there in calibre with the Gretzky Kurri lines, maybe even surpassing them if you allow for skewing the stats like some historical buffs like to do to allow for eras with less overall goal scoring (I'm not a big fan of that, frankly).
That year, the Pens second line was perhaps the best second line ever, I post it for interest sake:
92/93 Pens SECOND line
Francis - 24 g
Tochett - 48 g
Mullen - 33 g
TOTAL: 105 goals. Well more than a goal a game from the second ilne, just unbeatable.

95/96 Pens
Lemieux - 69 g
Jagr - 62 g
Nedved - 45 g
TOTAL: 176 goals
This is certainly right beside the Gretzky/Kurri/Krusher line as greatest ever. Jagr and Lemieux with over 60 goals, and Nedved breaks out on the left wing for 45, unbelievable line. The only thing that colours it for me is that I do remember Jagr being shifted aound a bit onto the second line at various times in those days to baklance it out, and I honestly don't know how much of that happened in that particular year.

I will call it a draw then, the differences are negligible.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  21:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All great lines.....Russia`s KLM line was fantastic too, they were something to watch. They brought a dimension to hockey which was not seen before in North America, in my opinion.........

Until i watched Gretzky Play along side Kurri.......

Lemieux and Jagr came later of course, but they were diffrent than Gretzky and Kurri.

Lemieux and Jagr were dominant forces with their skill and SIZE...Gretzky and Kurri were pure magic ....some-what diffrent than anything i`ve ever seen, similar to Russia`s KLM line......they just blew you away with dazziling, hockey plays, they just simply did things which were not seen before.....A diffrent game.....but boy was it fun to watch as a fan.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9882
( )

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  16:52:58  Reply with Quote
HaHa...

The GAG line is very simple.

In every game that season one of the 3 players (on the same line) scored a goal...

Your Oilers were not even close...

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  23:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9882

HaHa...

The GAG line is very simple.

In every game that season one of the 3 players (on the same line) scored a goal...

Your Oilers were not even close...

Regards

You sure about that? Your Wikipedia link certainly doesn't say that, only that they "averaged over 1 goal a game while playing together." Don't think that quite means what you're claiming, though i could be wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  10:36:14  Reply with Quote
In the 1971-1972 season, the GAG line averaged well over a goal per game, scoring 139 goals in 78 games. (Hadfield: 50, Ratelle: 46, Gilbert: 43)

Very impressive, but it is quite unlikely that one of these players was on the scoresheet in each and every game they played that season.

Of the Rangers 17 losses in the 71-72 season, they only scored one goal in 8 of these losses. It's very unlikely that it was a member of the GAG line who scored the Rangers lone goal in these losses.

And I'm pretty sure a member of the GAG did not score a goal (unless it was in their own net) in the two games for which the Rangers were shut out!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page