Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Your team's missed draft chances Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  03:57:19  Reply with Quote
Thinking about the upcoming draft got me thinking to some of the good or bad picks I would have made as a GM.

The first one that comes to mind and probably hurts the most was in 2003

The Edmonton Oilers trade the 17th pick (Zach Parise) to the New Jersey Devils for the 22nd pick (Marc-Antoine Pouliot) and the 68th pick (Jean-Francois Jacques). It was the Oilers turn to pick and they f%#*^NG traded it. I was waiting and begging for the Oilers to take him.

On the other side of the table was 2007. I was hoping the Oilers would take Cherapanov or Esposito with their 2nd of 3 1st round picks. They ended up taking Alex Plante which didn't turn out well other.

I am sure you Montreal fans were upset when you took Andrei Kostitsyn at #10 and left your big center in Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, and others such as Perry, Richards, Parise.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  10:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, every team's got some obvious ones when you look back, but is it really fair to go all hindsight on these things? I'll ignore the "i wish the Canucks had picked so and so who ended up going in the 8th round" seeing as i have to assume that if 30 teams passed on a guy in multiple rounds, i wouldn't have been likely to think much of the guy either!

The most obvious one for me was 2006 when the Canucks took Michael Grabner. It wasn't so much the pick of Grabner, nor am i going to claim that i knew Giroux would be the player he is today (taken 8 picks later by Philly), it was the fact that they didn't either trade down, or simply make a trade to enable them to draft local boy, Milan Lucic. I certainly didn't expect them to take Lucic at 14 (where they got Grabner), but they could have either traded the 14th pick for two later ones (and grabbed Lucic with one of those), or taken Grabner, and traded with someone lower another pick or picks for a chance to grab Lucic. I know all local guys don't pan out and Lucic has prob already exceeded a lot of scouts expectations, but for an organization which often seems to lack that skilled player with size, this seemed like a missed opportunity. The Bruins ended up stealing a real gem!

One that does stand out in my memory is the '07 draft where the Cancucks picked Patrick White in the 1st round, 25th overall. At that time, i'd seen PK Subban play a bit and loved what i saw. The Habs got him at 43rd overall.

On a side note, looking back over some of the drafts, it's shocking to see just how weak the 1999 draft was. In swinging the deals he did to secure the chance to draft the Sedin's Brian Burke ended up with, by far, 2 of the best players in that draft. If not for H. Zetterberg being "found" in the 7th round by Detroit, it'd be no question. Seriously, have a scroll through this and look at just how poor a draft year it was......... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  11:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an easy one for me. When the Sens took Brian Lee with Kopitar and Marc Staal on the table their were few who agreed with the move then and it makes even less sense now. I still cringe every time I hear the name Brian Lee.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  13:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody like 10 times in datsyuks and zetterbergs year
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  13:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Everybody like 10 times in datsyuks and zetterbergs year

Exactly what i was getting at. It's not fair to sit here and claim you're pissed your team picked so and so over guys like Datsyuk and Z. EVERY team passed multiple times on these guys!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4573
( )

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  13:53:52  Reply with Quote
To Alex 116: Yes I agree that the 99 draft was very poor. I will add goaltender Ryan Miller of Buffalo who was chosen in the 5th round at # 138 as a bona-fide star besides the Sedins & Zetterberg, but that's probably it. One could argue for Martin Havlat, but he's been hurt so much in his career, he doesn't qualify as a star, IMO. There were only handful of others that had legitimate NHL careers such as Martin Erat, Douglas Murray, Radim Vrbata, Ryan Malone, Chris Kelly, Jordan Leopold, Mike Comrie & Craig Anderson who were all picked in later rounds and a few other steady first rounders such as Tim Connolly, Taylor Pyatt and Barrett Jackman, but you're right, overall it's probably one of the weakest drafts in history.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  04:55:48  Reply with Quote
I know anyone can go back and pick the better players from any draft and say they wanted that player.

I am talking about either during the draft or before.

Example:

This year I am hearing from a lot of leaf fans that they want Galy..

For the Oilers I am hoping for Dansk in the 2nd round or grab another late 1st, I think he will still be there at 31 though.I also like Samuelsson for round 2 but not sure if he will be there. (Is he dirty like his father?)

Was there any leaf fans that wanted someone other than Schenn when they took him at 5. I know in Brayden's draft year the Leaf fans were pushing hard for him.

Any players that you wanted before the draft that you didn't end up getting that turned out really well or anyone you wanted that didn't turn out very well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4216
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  05:33:28  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8384
I am sure you Montreal fans were upset when you took Andrei Kostitsyn at #10 and left your big center in Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, and others such as Perry, Richards, Parise.

Nope I'm sure Montreal fans are still upset about Doug Wickenheiser over some guy named Savard with the first overall pick.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  08:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8384
Any players that you wanted before the draft that you didn't end up getting that turned out really well or anyone you wanted that didn't turn out very well.

I have to admit, when the Canucks took Hodgson, it was rumoured that they were very interested in Kyle Beech, but like many other teams, were a little worried about his personality / reputation which included some discipline / suspensions at a pretty young age. He was another local boy (born in North Vancouver i believe) who at the time was projected as a power forward who played an abrasive style but also could contribute offensively. At the time i didn't know much about Cody Hodgson and i was really hoping the Canucks would take a chance on this Beech kid. Well, in the end, i came to really like Hodgson after watching him in the WJC's and was happy they went that route. At the same time, Beech has yet to have any impact at the NHL level and while Chicago is a tough lineup to crack, he's yet to make his NHL debut as far as i know? He was pegged originally as a top 5 pick in '08 but fell to 11th overall and has disappointed since. Now, the Canucks only have Kassian to show for that Hodgson pick, who is ironically very similar to Beech, but it's still a pick i think the Canucks made the right choice on (Hodgson over Beech) regardless of what this guy thought.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:50:59  Reply with Quote
Alex

Thank you, you got my point. Your post is exactly what I was getting at.

Referring to Subban who went 43rd overall I wonder if scouts ever make an easy choice with their jobs in mind. Let's say the scout from Vancouver really really like Subban and wanted to take him in the 1st round. I f that doesn't pan out it would all be on him. The safe pick would be to take someone ranked higher and if it doesn't turn out you don't look nearly as bad.

It is easy for us to be armchair GM's on draft day because we don't have to live with our picks. I know I have been wrong more than I've been right.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4573
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  11:23:32  Reply with Quote
To Alex 116: Just a note on Kyle Beech, the Hawks are hopefully not giving up on him yet. He was injured for most of last season, so last year was pretty much a wash. As a Hawks fan, I'm hopeful that there's still a chance for him yet.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4744
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  12:54:31  Reply with Quote
The Jets first draft after taking over the team from Atlanta had me wondering, still does. There is this big Center who was projected top 5 slipped to7th where the jets could take him and they take Mark Scheifele instead of snapping up Sean Couturier. Philly ends up with him and he has a pretty darn good rookie season, and looks like a good carrer coming. Maybe Mark will surprise me but that is one in recent history that I really didnt like at the time and have a fealing I never will.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  13:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8384....Great point about the scouts needing to have some serious guts to take a guy much earlier than he may be ranked. However, with my mention of Subban, i guess it matters what a team is looking for but there's always the option to "trade down". You see a lot more of this in the NFL of course where teams are often drafting more for needs than "taking the best player not matter what position".

4573....I read something about Beech and the fact that the Hawks haven't given up on him just yet. He did see a few guys (Ben Smith, Jeremy Morin and Andrew Shaw) get NHL call ups before him, all of whom were ranked lower as Hawks prospects a couple years ago. However, i believe it was about a year or so ago where i read that the Hawks had to make a decision on Beech and that was either trade him while he still has "some" value, or hang onto him, not give up and hope he develops. The injury riddled season you brought up hasn't helped, but there's definitely a spot on the roster for him at the NHL level as the Hawks need to replace a lot of grit that they lost after blowing up the roster sotospeak after their cup win! Beech, if he pans out, is exactly the player they need right now!

4744.... Great point. Surprised Couturier slipped as far as he did but Scheifele is ranked pretty highly as well and the Jets must have seen something they really liked in him? Having said that, i'd love to hear the reasoning behind team's ignoring Couturier as he was once touted as a possible 1st overall pick? Canadian kid, 6'4, etc and he slips to 8th?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most, myself included, were shocked when the Rangers took defensemen Dylan McIlrath in 2010 with both Brandon Gormley & Cam Fowler still available. Never liked that move.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  22:04:24  Reply with Quote
Jamie Benn, 7th round wonder. Why didn't the Oilers grab him in round 6 damn it!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4573
( )

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  16:22:34  Reply with Quote
To 4315:
Not to sound corrective, but Jamie Benn was chosen in the 5th round, 129th overall in the 2007 draft from the BCJHL. However, he was still a great pick that late, 5th or 7th round.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  04:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that it's my team, but how about Trevor Kidd being taken by Calgary ahead of arguably the best goalie of all time Marty B? that has to be one of the biggest oversights in history IMO.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  05:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

Not that it's my team, but how about Trevor Kidd being taken by Calgary ahead of arguably the best goalie of all time Marty B? that has to be one of the biggest oversights in history IMO.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux

Goalies are tough though, they tend to develop late and it is rare you have a sure thing prospect in a goalie, and Kidd wasn't exactly a flop

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Guest4744
( )

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  07:49:35  Reply with Quote
Pasty very good point, goalies are very tough. look at the islanders dipeietro (however you speel that) he has been a huge bust due to injuries and is really not that great, and I believe Calgary toolk a fella bye the name of Brent Krahn 8th overall that year and he has never started a game in the NHL also had a ton of injuries trying to get to the show.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page