Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 First Overall In an All time Draft Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  18:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
We had a Greatest all time draft not so long ago but I thought I'd like to see how this would turn out if everyone was able to choose the player they wanted first.
Why would you make that choice?

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Choices:

Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Bobby Orr
Maurice Richard
Jean Beliveau
Doug Harvey
Other..

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  20:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for Wayne or Bobby but I got Lemieux. not bad. I hope after the playoffs we can get more input if Admin can make it the feature poll.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  14:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemieux because he can score, drop the gloves and lead a team to the stanley cup!

GO DUCKS. YAY GIANTS
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  14:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends, does your team have good offense, a lot of scorers but noone that can pass the puck, or good defense but noone that can score, or need a defenseman that can come up and score but also be able to get back quick

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  14:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind these guys' rookie seasons, If I were GM of some team thats average in every aspect, I'd draft Peter Stastny, keep him for a couple years and right when everyone thinks he's super valuable and Gretzky's gonna be descent then I'd trade him for Gretzky

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  17:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne. That was a period.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  19:19:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

Lemieux because he can score, drop the gloves and lead a team to the stanley cup!

GO DUCKS. YAY GIANTS

You are joking right? Lemieux drop the gloves?? LOL!
The guy tried a couple of times but learned very quickly that it wasnt for him... thanks thou, u gave me a good chuckle... :)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  19:24:35  Reply with Quote
And to ansswer the question... This is a tough one... normally one would pick up the best goaltender available and build around them... however, 'best of all time' throws a wrench into things as we have some truely exceptional super-super-stars to opt for. VERY tough call between Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr ... but I would have to give the nod to Gretzky. Choosing any of these greats is pretty much a win-win.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  19:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how I look at it; How can you do better than Orr? He had the most complete game of any player I ever saw. So you'd be getting the best defensemen of all time who it just so happens is capable of winning the scoring race at the same time. That is the ultimate hockey player.
Why wouldn't you build your team from there?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  21:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, I can appreciate your point. But that arguement is just not going to win. First of all, there is at least 50% (maybe more) of the hockey fans out there that never seen Bobby Orr play. So how could they possibly pick him first? Secondly, Gretzky is still some what fresh in people's minds, so he is more apt to be picked first. Thirdly, stats talk, and it's Gretzky's record book. Fourthly, most of the teen age and early 20's fans listened to their Dad's fill their ears with how great Wayne was in the 80's. You just can't win with Orr on here.

Although I too would pick Gretzky, the choice is much closer now than when I first came onto this site and learned more about the history of Mr. Orr.

I would be glad to start a team with either Gretzky or Orr. I'd pick Gretzky.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  06:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood Beans. It's a young crowd here. I just wanted to explain why I would pick Orr without having to think twice about it.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I feel you dog. I think any hockey purist that did not at least consider Orr their first pick is insane and hates their kids. If I didn't grow up idolizing the Great One, it would be the ultimate decision for me. The most prolific offensive player in history or the best defensemen(offensively and defensively) and arguable the fastest skater to ever play the game???

The question for the ages.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, fortunately I did get to choose first, and I picked Gretzky.

BTW, the Cup finals are almost over, time's coming up to make a poll.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 06/05/2007 07:39:01
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  14:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
and arguable the fastest skater to ever play the game???

Not to take anything away from him at all, but I don't think that this is that 'arguable' as I don't think he was that close to the top guys for pure speed - Faster than most in his era undoubtably. However, he was certainly one of the best skaters of all time, but that's another ball of wax.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  14:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know TC. He was skating on the old style tubular constructed skates. Put him in today's technology!

But I can agree, maybe not fastest, but best pure skater ever.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  14:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:
and arguable the fastest skater to ever play the game???

Not to take anything away from him at all, but I don't think that this is that 'arguable' as I don't think he was that close to the top guys for pure speed - Faster than most in his era undoubtably. However, he was certainly one of the best skaters of all time, but that's another ball of wax.

I'm going to guess you would say Bure and Coffey, yes?

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  15:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting all of these players in the same era would change it a little different, what if Howe can't keep up with the speed or Gretzky can't handle the physical game, that's why I would say Orr he is just the all around player, both ways of the ice.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  15:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for that matter, how would Orr been able to play his wide open, end to end style through the trapping late 90's?? You can make that arguement against any player from a different era.

The basics is that the greatest ever would be great players in any era. In my humble opinion.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  16:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well for that matter, how would Orr been able to play his wide open, end to end style through the trapping late 90's?? You can make that arguement against any player from a different era.

The basics is that the greatest ever would be great players in any era. In my humble opinion.

Agreed Beans. Talent transcends the ages.

I like when people generalize like that. I understand the argument that this player played in a free wheelin time and therefore wouldn't be able to play like that in the dead puck era. I like it because there are always examples that blow the argument wide open. For instance; Pavel Bure had 58 and 59 goal seasons in the heart of the clutch and grab era and did it using his speed and agility with the puck. Therefore if the player has the talent it can be done. Believe me, Orr had that talent.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0928
( )

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  16:26:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Putting all of these players in the same era would change it a little different, what if Howe can't keep up with the speed or Gretzky can't handle the physical game, that's why I would say Orr he is just the all around player, both ways of the ice.

They've asked oldtimers and hockey legends about how Gretzky would do in different eras... Jean Beliveau, for example, said that Gretzky would be the leading scorer in any previous era. So did Gordie Howe and many others. Common consensus seems to be that Gretzky would have avoided hits just as well as he did for the past 2 decades.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0928
( )

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  16:29:13  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:

Agreed Beans. Talent transcends the ages.

I like when people generalize like that. I understand the argument that this player played in a free wheelin time and therefore wouldn't be able to play like that in the dead puck era. I like it because there are always examples that blow the argument wide open. For instance; Pavel Bure had 58 and 59 goal seasons in the heart of the clutch and grab era and did it using his speed and agility with the puck. Therefore if the player has the talent it can be done. Believe me, Orr had that talent.

Exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  15:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...the season's over. Beans are you gonna make a poll for the GOAT draft?
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  21:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

Keep in mind these guys' rookie seasons, If I were GM of some team thats average in every aspect, I'd draft Peter Stastny, keep him for a couple years and right when everyone thinks he's super valuable and Gretzky's gonna be descent then I'd trade him for Gretzky

Is it just me or was this reply completely ignored?

Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  05:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking about before injuries and all that? If so, Orr all the way. Hands down the best all around skills in my opinion. Had he had a long career, I truly believe we'd be talking about Orr as the best of all time.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

Are we talking about before injuries and all that? If so, Orr all the way. Hands down the best all around skills in my opinion. Had he had a long career, I truly believe we'd be talking about Orr as the best of all time.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

Agreed. Orr played 10 injury riddles seasons and it' still debated that he is the best all time. I think that speaks volumes about just how good he was. Had he played a full career there would no longer be a reason for anyone to not put him at the top all time as this is the single biggest reason people cite for not doing so.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  22:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does nobody share my love for the greatest player of the greatest hockey dynasty of all time.... jean beliveau is the montreal canadiens all time greatest player , he excelled in every aspect of the game on and off the ice a class act and a hero,,, deffinetly my first pick he could easily bring a team together and lead them to the end of the earth and back again.....

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  23:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Roy, obviously. The best player to build a team around is a goalie....and Roy's the greatest goalie of them all (And in my opinion greatest player ever), and that's all I have to say.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page