Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Two Years Down: The NHL's Report Card Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
We're less than a week away from closing the book on the 2nd NHL season post lockout. My question to you is, how has the NHL done so far? How would you grade them overall? Feel free to discuss and break down the grades.

Choices:

A+ to A
A to A-
B+ to B
B to B-
C+ to C
C to C-
D
F

Edited by - manninm on 06/05/2007 07:44:32

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  08:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given them a D overall. I think they've made moderate improvements, but still have a lot to work on.

Marketing and Advertising: C-

They've done OK. Milking Sidney Crosby for all he's worth is good, however, you need to package the product with it. That they haven't done. I think their ad campaigns need to appeal to the heart and soul of the game a little more. It's like Gracchus says in Gladiator: "The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it." The NHL needs to start appealing toward the brute nature of the sport. Let's face it, the "event for the whole family" image hasn't been working. Try something different.

Finances: B+

This is where they've succeeded. By virtue of the salary cap and revenue sharing, all 30 franchises are now able to compete. Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Nashville (soon to be Hamilton) are at the top competing with the Detroits and New Jerseys. They have a sustainable business model in tact; it's a key ingredient in the long term growth and success of the NHL.

Product: D-

The NHL almost fails at this. They've limited the hooking and holding and created speed, which is good. But it's only the first step. And, in the meantime, they've sacrificed the integrity of the game. The physicality of the game has almost been lost. Cheap shots, major injuries have all risen since 2005. The instigator rule is still in tact, and inconsistent officiating keeps fans, coaches, and players wondering what is and isn't legal. Going forward, the NHL needs to make changes. Get proactive with preventing injuries and get a clear guideline to what penalties are...and stick to it, regular season and playoffs. In fact, the marketing and advertising of the game hinges on making key rule changes to make the game more appealing to the "average fan." Until this changes hockey will still be as I call it, a "super niche" sport.

Public Relations: F

The NHL does fail at this. Every time an NHL story pops up in the States, it's always a negative one. Turn on Pardon the Interruption (ESPN) and they either a) are talking about a major injury and the brutality of the game, or b) talking about how little they could care that Anaheim and Ottawa are playing in the Stanley Cup. This image needs to be cleaned up ASAP.

Personnel: A-

Lots of great talent in the NHL right now. Unfrotunately, that can all be lost if the NHL doesn't take advantage of it. The NHL did that in the 80's with Gretzky. The question remains if they can do it moving forward with Crosby, Ovechkin, the 25 Staal Brothers, etc etc...

Miscellaneous: F

Anything else you can think of with regards to the NHL is most likely a total failure. TV contracts: NBC is good, but Versus is bad, and both have awful commentators. Until the NHL gets back on ESPN or a "tier I" cable network, they will be viewed as a niche sport. Executive: Bettmann has taken a bonafide powerhouse professional sporting league and ran it into the ground. If the NHL can get a capable executive in power who's a) capable and b) knows the game (Bettmann is neither), I think they'll be better off.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

Edited by - manninm on 06/05/2007 08:13:31
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  08:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

They've done OK. Milking Sidney Crosby for all he's worth is good, however, you need to package the product with it. That they haven't done. I think their ad campaigns need to appeal to the heart and soul of the game a little more. It's like Gracchus says in Gladiator: "The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it." The NHL needs to start appealing toward the brute nature of the sport. Let's face it, the "event for the whole family" image hasn't been working. Try something different.

That's basically what Cherry said last night. He said NBC should've shown the fight and skirmish between Alfredsson and the Ducks after he beaned Niedermayer with the puck. He thinks the NHL should show more fights and more action. He held up a newspaper from Buffalo that said "Bad Blood", the front page covered with pictures of the goalie fight and the brawl between BUF and OTT. "People want to see a good fight", he said. And he's right.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  14:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I agree that this is still a weakness. They have not been able to even come close to cracking the big three in the states. Arena football is more popular in most areas. Not sure if Hockey ever really will be that big in the states. Also, the fact that the playoffs go too late into spring. The fact that game 5 of the finals is on June 6th is just stupid. The tv ratings showed that less than 10% of the Canadian TV watchers were tuned into the game which tells me that Canadians don't want to watch hockey in June either.

Finances: C

Although the teams are more competative, the finances are not all there. It the big 15-20 teams in the league that are bringing in all the cash, and the expansion teams in the states are struggling. Nashville was fighting for tops in the league almost all year and they can't sustain a team?? The Cap and revenue sharing has leveled the product on the ice, but it's not going to save the Phoenix/Columbus/Nashville/Tampa's of the NHL.

Product: B+

I am actually happy to watch any game now, rather than just the Oilers. With the spread between play off and none play off teams coming down the literally the last game and 21 of 30 teams over .500 and 4 teams over .500 not making the playoffs, a competative league is a beautiful thing. The one knock I can give is the lack of consistancy in disciplie. It appears(albeit media induced) that there are more cheap plays such as stick works to the head and hits from behind. That will continue to hurt the game and the spread into the states. Hockey is perceived as barbaric in the states, and the Tootoo's and Brashear's in the NHL don't help the cause.

Public Relations: F

The NHL does fail at this. Every time an NHL story pops up in the States, it's always a negative one. Turn on Pardon the Interruption (ESPN) and they either a) are talking about a major injury and the brutality of the game, or b) talking about how little they could care that Anaheim and Ottawa are playing in the Stanley Cup. This image needs to be cleaned up ASAP.

I agree 100%

Personnel: C+

Lots of great talent in the NHL right now. Unfortunately, that can all be lost if the NHL doesn't take advantage of it. The NHL did that in the 80's with Gretzky. The question remains if they can do it moving forward with Crosby, Ovechkin, the 25 Staal Brothers, etc etc...

Partially agree. I still think that the league is a bit watered down. Let's face it, Boogaard would not be wearing a jersey in the 70's or early 90's. Take 5 teams out of the league and do a dispersal draft and the league is stacked!

Miscellaneous: B

Overall, the game is healthy and sustainable for the future. In my opinion, it will never rival the other big three in the states, so the NHL just has to deal with that. The more half brained ideas and stupid expansions they may do will only hurt the game. Move teams to decent markets or collapse the non-profitable teams. And for God Sakes, clean up the non-hockey infractions before someone gets killed out there!

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page