Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 07/08 Presidents' Trophy Winner Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  20:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
This year which NHL team will take home the Presidents' Trophy for the league's most regular season points?

Choices:

Detroit Red Wings
Buffalo Sabres
Anaheim Ducks
New Jersey Devils
San Jose Sharks
Pittsburgh Penguins
Other

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  06:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit is still a solid team and they still play in the weakest division in hockey. Looking at the fact that Nashville has lost some important assests, I can't see Detroit not being at the top or close to it at the end of the year.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think San Jose has the best team in the league rite now. If Matt Carle doesn't go into a sophomore slump and Joe Thornton is 100% healthy I don't see why they can't with the depth they have.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  13:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Buffalo is out (sorry Mik) They just lost too much fire power. I like Pittsburgh's chances but it's still a long stretch. And I'm not sure that Brodeur can pull off another season like last year so that takes out the NJD.

So I think it will come out of the West this year. Anaheim without Neidermeyer won't take it. And Anaheim and San Jose will probably canibalize each other's points so I'm going to say Detroit.

Edited by - leigh on 09/07/2007 13:44:28
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  15:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta agree with you Leigh. I don't see Buffalo getting the best record this year. Not without Briere and Drury.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sabres won't win the Presidents' Trophy but they will still make the playoffs. They still have a good team. With a healthy Tim Connelley they will do fine, they also still have quite a bit of cap space for the trade deadline.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2453
( )

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  23:56:20  Reply with Quote
I voted for SJ. They got a solid team (still!) and should do well. The majority of people voted "Other," probably because NYR isn't listed.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  01:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said San Jo because well they have a solid team, solid offense with Big Joe and there Captain Patty Marleau, Steve Bernier, Ryane Clowe, Pat Rissmiller and shut-down center Curtis Brown,Joe Palvelski and if some don't come through then the got Jeremy Roenick as a back up. And there D is still pretty good they got Pickles,McLaren,Craig Rivet,Chris Ehroff, and Matt Carle and others. and the goaltender Nabokov should play are 70-75 games if no injury and win a majority of them and there back-up(s) are between D. Patzold,T. Greiss,T. Dakers,A. Stalock. (but the back up situation is pretty bad, they are almost like Vancouver with there back-up situation.)

http://i15.tinypic.com/4hvjlmh
Go to Top of Page

Guest0543
( )

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  12:00:49  Reply with Quote
I can't Believe none has said anything about ottawa senators. They have one of the best first line in the league, a solid defence with a goalie that will only get better. But the Wings with little competition in their Division is a safe bet.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  12:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will probably be Detroit, mainly based on the lack of inter-divisional competitiveness. I think if SJ was in any other division they could take it but despite how good they are, Anaheim and Dallas will take too many points from them, as from each other. I can see Ottawa as a decent pick and I don't think saying that NYR has a shot is unrealistic. Sure they added Gomez and Drury but they also have Lundqvist who just seems to be getting better and better.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  09:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will go with the Pittsburgh Penguins, they are young and only getting better, Crosby will have another stellar season.
Detroit will be a close second...

Some people have changed their minds since the top 8 topic...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  15:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I would like to say the Leafs I obviously cant and therefore i'll have to say the San Jose Sharks. Marleau, Thornton, Cheechoo, Carle, Nabokov, and the list goes on and on. Also with the coaching of Doug Wilson I expect the Sharks to do excellent in the regular season.

Forecheck+Backcheck=Paycheck
Go to Top of Page

Guest9009
( )

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  16:06:20  Reply with Quote
Atlantic Division
Brodeur is the best goaltender in the NHL, and that will really bring down the chances of any other Atlantic Division team winning the President's Trophy. The New York Rangers have traditionally been a team to throw money at big name players, with no real regard for chemistry, which leaves them out of the picture, as they've shown in this year's Free Agency that the tradition is still alive and well. The Rangers will likely finish behind the Devils and Pens, so no President's for them, but their playoff hopes are much better this year. Between the Devils and Pens though, it could go either way. Crosby we know can score a ton of points, but we also know Brodeur can shutout games like no other. I'd put the Devils on top.

Southeast Division
Probably the least skilled division in the league, there’s no real threat for the Trophy here. Atlanta is likely to put up a good fight to defend their division title, but it's more likely going to be between the more dominant Carolina and Tampa Bay squads this year. More likely to be Tampa.

Northeast Division
Ottawa could put up the numbers to take the Trophy, but highly unlikely. Buffalo has lost some key players, so that essentially paves the way for the Sens, but they'll still have to put up nearly 50 wins to do so. Highly unlikely.

Eastern Conference Summary
The Atlantic Division is most likely to put out the President’s Trophy winner, but the Devils and Pens both have a pretty good chance of winning the Atlantic title, so it’s a big question mark as to which team will lead the East. In my opinion, I believe the Devils will defend their Atlantic title. The #2 and #3 seeds seem pretty much set as well, with Ottawa likely to take the Northeast and beat out the Southeast Division leader for the #2. As is usual, the #3 will probably go to the Southeast leader, likely to be Tampa Bay.

Northwest Division
Traditionally one of the tightest divisions in the NHL, the Northwest Division title will be a hard fought battle. Any one of Vancouver, Colorado or Calgary could take the top spot this year, but Minnesota is also a strong contender in the Northwest. The only surefire prediction in the division is a bottom 2 finish for Edmonton. Vancouver is most likely to take the Northwest, but being in the NHL’s tightest division doesn’t exactly leave you with high hopes to win the President’s Trophy. Still, with Luongo between the pipes, the Canucks just might pull it off.

Central Division
The Detroit Red Wings have won the President’s Trophy a number of times, and with Nashville’s downsizing, and their traditional dominance, not just in their division, but in the league, Detroit will likely be one of the top 2 teams in the West.

Pacific Division
With the Coyotes going into a rebuilding phase, they’re likely to finish at or near the bottom of the NHL this season, which leaves plenty of room for the other 4 teams to pick up a good number of points. Los Angeles could be a threat, but not likely to take the division. San Jose and Dallas, however, have a good chance of knocking off the defending Pacific Division champs, the Anaheim Ducks. Without Niedermayer and Selanne in the mix, San Jose has the best chance to take the Pacific, but with them, the Ducks may hold onto their title, and may also take the President’s Trophy. With Turco in net for the Stars though, Dallas can’t be ruled out either.

Western Conference Summary
This conference really depends on whether or not Selanne and Niedermayer decide to retire. These two players could make or break the Ducks, depending on what they decide to do. The Ducks will likely finish #1 if they stay, but if not, they could slump, and San Jose may take the #3 seed with the Pacific Division title. Luongo can be counted on to bring the Canucks a long way, and if the Ducks slump, Vancouver will likely to get a boost from #3 to #2 in the West, but will still finish behind Detroit. No matter what happens with the Ducks, the Wings will likely finish as one of the top 2 in the West.

Projected Rankings
#1 – Anaheim Ducks*
#2 – New Jersey Devils**
#3 – Detroit Red Wings** (or San Jose Sharks***)
#4 – Vancouver Canucks
#5 – Ottawa Senators
#6 – Tampa Bay Lightning

* - If Niedermayer and Selanne stay.
** - Moves up 1 position if Niedermayer and Selanne retire.
*** - If Niedermayer and Selanne retire.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  16:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9009

.....Northeast Division
Ottawa could put up the numbers to take the Trophy, but highly unlikely....
Don't you want to support this bold statement with some reasons? Why is it "unlikely"?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9009
( )

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  16:35:58  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9009

.....Northeast Division
Ottawa could put up the numbers to take the Trophy, but highly unlikely....
Don't you want to support this bold statement with some reasons? Why is it "unlikely"?

I believe it's not likely that they'll take it because Buffalo remains a decent strength team, despite their losses. Also, considering that Toronto has been known to play considerably better against their divisional opponents, and with their acquisitions of Toskala and Blake, the Leafs will be, I hate to say, a considerably stronger team this season. So Ottawa may gain some ground thanks to Buffalo's losses, but thanks to Toronto's gains, Ottawa's chances of winning the President's Trophy will likely take a hit.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  21:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

(but the back up situation is pretty bad, they are almost like Vancouver with there back-up situation.)

http://i15.tinypic.com/4hvjlmh

I just gotta say Sanford is Awesome

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4451
( )

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  18:16:51  Reply with Quote
detroit will win it!
you think detroit is just good cause their division is bad, i dont think so.
it doesnt matter because they play other teams then their division. and if they lose 20 games a season it probably isnt just teams in other divisions. probably half their losses came in their division. so they must beat all the other teams in different divisions.
and the sharks, whoever thinks they are good is an idiot.
they suck, they wont win the preidents trophy.
and ottowa is pretty good i think they could win.
but detroit will win!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  20:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to find a reason why the Red Wings can't win the President's Trophy...they have great forwards, a very talented defence core and two potential hall of fame goalies. With osgood coming back from a few bad seasons. Not to mention they're in the worst division in the NHL (in my opinion).

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  21:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ottawa. Great depth. Whereas teams like Pittsburgh and San Jose have superstar players, Ottawa is strong from the top to the bottom, especially on defence, where Pittsburgh is weak.

Sens will finish with 114 points.
Go to Top of Page

-Al-
Top Prospect

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  14:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K... Well a few updates now to my previous predictions... Brodeur and Luongo have been big surprises so far this season, as they just don't seem to be into their game whatsoever... This lack of performance from two of the best has caused a few shifts in my predictions for the year...

Atlantic Division
Brodeur has not been playing as well as he can so far this season, and unless the Devils can get some kind of sustained winning streak going, they'll have a hard enough time winning a playoff spot, never mind the President's Trophy. Scott Gomez has done very little so far for the Rangers, which helps to prove my previous point about lack of chemistry in the Rangers lineup. That leaves the door wide open for the Pittsburgh Penguins, the only other team I had predicted to challenge for the division, as the sole contender in the Atlantic Division.

Southeast Division
As I had mentioned before, there’s no real threat for the Trophy here. Atlanta may still put up a good fight to defend their division title, so long as they maintain the winning record they've produced since the firing of Bob Hartley. The Southeast Division title, however, will likely be going to either Carolina or Tampa Bay this year, and after seeing the way Carolina has come back from a horrible season last year, I'm going to have to change my mind on this one and put my money on the Hurricanes.

Northeast Division
Whatever I may have said about the Ottawa Senators I likely have completely forgotten after watching the way they've played over the last month. They've posted a 10-1 record, and looking at the other teams in their division, it's really a no-brainer to give them the Northeast title this season. The Sens may have a shot at the Presidents' Trophy after all.

Eastern Conference Summary
With the Devils out of the picture, the biggest challenge for the Pens will come out of the Northeast Division, in the form of the Ottawa Senators. The Carolina Hurricanes will likely put on a good show, but come the end of the season, we're going to see either Ottawa or Pittsburgh on top in the East. Personally, I'd go with the Sens.

Northwest Division
It seems my most accurate predictions so far have come out of the most unlikely of places. The Edmonton Oilers are right where I had marked them, while Calgary is within 1 point of the leading teams in the division, Colorado and, to my surprise, Minnesota. That's where my predictions are off. The Wild and Canucks seem to have swapped positions in my previous list, as Vancouver has now joined Edmonton in the basement. Being a fan of both Colorado and Minnesota, I find it difficult to make the choice. With their superior goaltending (read Nicklas Backstrom), however, the Wild will likely take the Northwest, but not the Presidents' Trophy.

Central Division
Detroit's dominance in the league has been magnified this season. With the offensive skills of Henrik Zetterberg, as well as the leadership of Niklas Lidstrom, propelling the team to the top spot in the league so far this season, the Wings could add another Presidents' Trophy this year to their already massive trophy cabinet.

Pacific Division
Phoenix is definitely at the bottom of the pack this year, but the rest of the division seems to be in a bit of a mix. Los Angeles has proven to be a tough team to beat this season, but with their opposition icing far superior goaltenders, I wouldn't put this team at the top of my list. With Nabokov, Turco, and Giguere in net for the other three, it really comes down to the offense, and that's where San Jose will take the Pacific.

Western Conference Summary
With the Pacific Division trying to beat out the Northwest as the tightest division this season, Detroit has pretty well won the Western Conference already. With their slightly more skilled lead offensive line, the Sharks are likely to squeak past Minnesota for the 2nd spot in the West, but will still likely finish near the bottom of the division leader board.

Projected Rankings
#1 – Detroit Red Wings
#2 – Ottawa Senators
#3 – Pittsburgh Penguins
#4 – Carolina Hurricanes
#5 – San Jose Sharks
#6 – Minnesota Wild

Edited by - -Al- on 11/02/2007 14:20:03
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada