Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 What should the Leafs do with Sundin? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colarox
Top Prospect

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  09:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What should the Leafs do with their captain?

go thrasher go!

Choices:

trade him at the deadline
keep him
release him
don''''t renew his contract
trade him in the off-season
other

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should trade him ASAP. He's got good value right now, he's among the leaders in scoring. I don't expect him to keep up this pace, but right now is the time to trade him, and get back some youth that can help you out in the future.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  13:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would trade him before the deadline. By that time, TO should be either fighting for 8th spot or out of the playoffs by a litte. JFJ needs to understand that the team he has on the ice will not with the Stanley Cup and they really have nothing in the system for the next few years.

Sundin for Draft Pick and or prospects is a smart hockey move in my opinion. I don't see TO with anything else to build off of.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  08:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an intersting (though mostly tongue-in-cheek) article here (in Ottawa) in one of the free dailies. One of the sports columnists suggested that as it appears likely that Forsberg won't be back and that Ottawa wanted Forsberg they should go for another Swede instead - Sundin.

The idea would be to trade Sundin for some picks/prospects and give him a chance to win a Cup before he retires (he's 37 now - not that many more seasons) kind of like Ray bourque. As an added bonus (according to the article) he'd be playing with fellow Swede Daniel Alfredsson.

Now, I don't see this happening but it does raise an intersting thought.

In general, the Leafs should trade Sundin for prospects/picks and look at building a solid team for a couple of years down the road. The way I see it, current leafs management is trying to build a team EVERY year to win the Cup (veteran accquisitions at the deadline). As Beans said, the team that Toronto is icing right now won't win the Cup. They need to realize this and build for a few seasons. It's not like they're going to lose their fan base.

Edited by - spade632 on 11/15/2007 08:40:55
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  09:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything I have read, or heard about Sundin is he wants to stay in Toronto.

He signed a one year contract, at the end of the season if the Leafs have amounted to nothing, and they look like they are headed in that direction, he may opt to test the Free Agent Market.

If he decided he would like to be traded at the deadline because Toronto is no where near a playoff spot then it would be nice to trade with a team, and get a proven young prospect, if they are going to trade him for draft choices, well it is a shot in the dark, you never know what you are going to get, but I guess thats better than nothing...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  10:01:10  Reply with Quote
the leafs are going nowhere he is at the end of his career trade him to a contender and let him try to win a cup he can always come back again for another year or two like what forsberg did with nashvile last year or tkachuk in atlanta.
Go to Top of Page

LeafsFan4Life
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  12:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Leafs fan i think they should fire Sundown and trade him for a bag of pucks he is the worst player the leafs have ever had and i dont know why the keep him on the team, if they have to trade him do it now while they can get something for him if not get a minor league or an whl player to replace him. Please please end the agony of having Sundown as the captain, do anything with him to please give the leafs a fighting chance with someone who could put the puck in the net.

Long Live Hockey
Go to Top of Page

ERTW0T9
Top Prospect

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  13:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting take on this whole problem with Sundin was the article in Ottawa. There's no doubt that the Senators would be huge with Sundin and Spezza as their top two centers. But as we all know it'll be a cold day in hell before the Leafs and the Sens are involved in any trade big or small. One possibility suggested was they swing a 3 way trade sending Sundin to Ottawa.

Ultimately, the Leafs need to get something out of Sundin and unfortunately it's probably not a Cup. One issue is they're going to wait until the trade deadline so that his market value is as high as possible. Who knows how well he'll be performing by then and lets not bring up his injury situation the past couple years. Much like the Flyers did with Forsberg, a package deal with picks and prospects would be their best option for trade if they're out of playoff contention.

As long as he's playing well right now that's all that matters.

Go Leafs Go.
Go to Top of Page

juice32
Rookie

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  04:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry to burst your bubble Sens fans, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that Sundin will ever be traded to the nations capital. JFJ is stuipd, but I don't think hes that stupid.

Heres what I see happening:

Sundin gets traded at the deadline to the Ducks for hot prospect Bobby Ryan and Andy McDonald maybe a draft pick as well. Believe me......If I was JFJ, i'd except this and run!!!!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  07:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't actually think that a Sundin trade to Ottawa is in the cards. I just thiought the idea was interesting. As ERTWOT9 said, it'll (probably) be a cold day in hell before that happens.

By the way ERTWOT9 are you an engineer?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8220
( )

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  08:17:24  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble Sens fans, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that Sundin will ever be traded to the nations capital. JFJ is stuipd, but I don't think hes that stupid.

Heres what I see happening:

Sundin gets traded at the deadline to the Ducks for hot prospect Bobby Ryan and Andy McDonald maybe a draft pick as well. Believe me......If I was JFJ, i'd accept this and run!!!!

Why would Burke give up so much for Sundin? Remember he just let go of Bryzgalov for nothing. This is the new NHL folks. Sundin for Ryan straight up sounds okay, but Burke may be resistant to trading such a good prospect for a guy who’s close to the end of his career. They’d definitely have to be in a position where they’d feel Sundin would make a difference. If they continue playing the way they are now, adding Sundin isn’t going to help them much. Adding McDonald into the equation doesn't make sense unless there's someone else going to the Ducks as well.

I personally see Sundin heading to Colorado. They’re playing really well and are looking like contenders again this year. Sundin may just be the piece that’ll help them beat Detroit. I don’t know what they’d give up in return, as I’m not familiar with their farm system. Maybe Svatos, and a pick or two?

Ottawa would be a perfect fit for Sundin. It would mean playing with a fellow Swede in Alfredson. But you’re right, it’ll never happen.

I also like the idea of him going to Philly. They’ve got a strong team this year, but have been nagged with injuries and suspensions. If everyone returns healthy, and they pick up Sundin, for maybe Carter, it would be a good deal for everyone involved.

Couple of more options are San Jose, Detroit & the Rangers. Already hearing Marleau’s name in rumours, he’d definitely be a good pick up for the leafs. Detroit tends not to trade away their young talent, so it may be hard for JFJ to make a deal with them, but he’s sure look good along side Zetteberg. The Rangers are notorious for staking their team and making it nowhere. I’d take a look at them near the deadline. If they’re close to the top of the league, this would also be a good option.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  08:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crap forgot to log in. That last posting was from me :)

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  08:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Juice32, That would be a great trade for Toronto but I don't think they could get that much for Matts. He will be 37 by season's end and I think he still has a no trade contract. I am kinda' torn as I would like to see him end his career here in Toronto but I think that with the Leafs not likely to contend this year that it would be prudent for them to move him by the deadline. The scary part for me in all this is that Ferguson would be doing the moving!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ERTW0T9
Top Prospect

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Spade632,
Yeah actually I'm an engineering student at U of T. Rare that anyone would pick that up.

Really what this whole Sundin trade boils down to is whether or not JFJ can find a good prospect that's an up and coming centre to fill Sundin's role in the future. Personally, I don't feel confident in Kyle Wellwood or Matt Stajan being a number one centre. Not unless the former can stay healthy and the latter can elevate his play. Many would say Antropov and Bell are capable first liners, however, their consistency would be in question.

More than anything, a trade like the Forsberg one last year, would be perfect for the Leafs. Bring in a flashy, young forward (Upshall in Philly's case) and a bunch of draft picks and you've got the makings of a foundation for rebuilding.

But don't be surprised if the Leafs ship off Sundin for some magic beans with JFJ at the helm.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think they can get much for him? It would be a slap in the face to trade him after all his history in the Big Smoke, they ain't going anywhere just yet, and should they make the playoffs, he will be their best asset. Let him retire on the team, since you aren't going to win a cup before them. Only trade him if he wants to be traded to go onto a contending team

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  17:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, I agree with you. I used to think the Leafs would sign a free agent such as Joe Thornton to replace Sundin when he decides to leave hockey but now all the teams are locking up their franchise guys to long term deals, including Thornton, so the future looks pretty bleak for the team upon Sundin's departure. I really can't speculate as to what is on Sundin's mind but it would not surprise me if he retired at the end of this year. Weather he would wave his no-trade clause or not is something we won't know until the time it happens. I know it is going to cost Toronto a heavy stipend to get him to lift it and I really do not think they will receive a franchise type player for him. I think an Upshall might be the kind of guy they might get and that would be a good deal but I do not fore see Scottie as a replacement for a Sundin. I sometimes wish that the Leafs would just get a little crappier so they might get a lottery pick in order to try and get lucky in the draft. I think it is their only chance at gaining some form of respectability in the near future, then Sundin could just retire as a Leaf which is what he has always said he wanted to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page