Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Steve Downie Totally Levels Dean McAmmond! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  16:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

.....Steve Downie's hit on McCammond was pointless, self-serving, cowardly, and deserved of his punishment. It was a freakin' pre-season game! You cannot tell me that he made that hit for the good of his team.

OIO, It might have been a lowly preseason game for you and me...but for the guys trying to make the show it might be their ONLY chance to prove their worth. Big checks and big fights are what it's about for them. From management down to the players, they all know that.

Mmmhmmm, so that makes it OK to endanger another player's career, health, and maybe life? I hope the 20 games is enough to send the message. Downie had a bad rep coming in. Why would he not be punished for perpetuating and expanding on his reputation?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  19:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

.....Steve Downie's hit on McCammond was pointless, self-serving, cowardly, and deserved of his punishment. It was a freakin' pre-season game! You cannot tell me that he made that hit for the good of his team.

OIO, It might have been a lowly preseason game for you and me...but for the guys trying to make the show it might be their ONLY chance to prove their worth. Big checks and big fights are what it's about for them. From management down to the players, they all know that.

Mmmhmmm, so that makes it OK to endanger another player's career, health, and maybe life? I hope the 20 games is enough to send the message. Downie had a bad rep coming in. Why would he not be punished for perpetuating and expanding on his reputation?

I was simply pointing out the importance of preseason for those trying to make it. I did't say it was ok, I said it was understood. I've never said this is a good way, I've said it is the current way. If it is time for change then so be it, but be consistent...not just this year and the next, but for decades. But as always I'm sure the next leaders will come in and change it to their way.

As for your statement about reputation...I disagree with you, someone should not be punished because of their reputation, as you seem to think. As Pucknuts said, his junior infractions are not admissible in the NHL, nor should they be. But he's now well on his way to getting one in the bigs.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  20:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't a clean hit. It wasn't the worst thing ever done in hockey, either. He deserved 6-10 games, simply because it was a headshot, and they are trying to eliminate those.

With that said, the whole "players nowadays have no respect for each other" thing always makes me laugh. There was a time when Ted Green and some guy nearly killed each other swinging sticks at each others' head. Gordie Howe himself used to drop guys with viscious elbows to the head. The difference was that they didn't diagnose the injured player with a Grade 2 concussion. They asked how many fingers, and if the guy was within three or four, he was back on the ice for the next shift.

Mario Lemieux on his off-season training habits: "I don't order fries with my club sandwich."
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  17:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

It wasn't a clean hit. It wasn't the worst thing ever done in hockey, either. He deserved 6-10 games, simply because it was a headshot, and they are trying to eliminate those.

With that said, the whole "players nowadays have no respect for each other" thing always makes me laugh. There was a time when Ted Green and some guy nearly killed each other swinging sticks at each others' head. Gordie Howe himself used to drop guys with viscious elbows to the head. The difference was that they didn't diagnose the injured player with a Grade 2 concussion. They asked how many fingers, and if the guy was within three or four, he was back on the ice for the next shift.

Mario Lemieux on his off-season training habits: "I don't order fries with my club sandwich."

Good point Fly!

I think a reason for the concussions is the Shoulder and Elbow Pads the players are wearing. If you compare them to the Pads in the '60s, it's like comparing Dany Heatley and George Parros on pure skill.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page