Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Trade talk Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4652
( )

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  19:51:53  Reply with Quote
Whom do you believe well be busy at the deadline....?

I hope calgary Blow's up there team..
Oiler's need a better golaie.. Bernie Maybe have loads of assests.
Nucks is lou getting moved I don't like that team at all atm..
Winnipeg needs a center line scorer ..
Montreal stay with the group you have maybe get a bite bigger.
Sen's Missing 2 key Guys and still rolling.

Leafs just Suck Need to rid of Kessel that Bum send him back to Boston....

Im just a going on and on about nuffen what u think people...

Guest4145
( )

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  21:03:42  Reply with Quote
The Leafs are actually a solid team this year, and they aren't going to trade their most talented player unless it's a very good deal. They are in playoff contention, not in a selling mode
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  22:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really the oilers need a better goalie? They need RNH and ebs to do better, maybe another defenseman, not a goalie
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  05:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, first and foremost, the talk of the trade deadline will be Corey Perry until he is signed or moved. Right after him is Bobby Ryan.

Lot of talk about Perry looking to get closer to southern Ontario, so perhaps Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and maybe Buffalo or the Rangers or even Philly might be in play? Of those teams, who might be willing to give up a roster player, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and additional throw-ins (depending on how good that roster player is). Or, it could be a more significant piece going the other way with a pick.

I honestly give Perry a very low chance of leaving. I think he'll get re-signed, and it'll be Bobby Ryan moving. Where he goes is anybody's guess.

Iginla to perhaps Pittsburgh? That was a rumour a little while ago . . . boy, what an offense they would have then! Calgary will be asking for an overpayment though . . . and Iginla is only going to go to the "right" place - a true contender, and one certainly in the Eastern Conference.

I have no clue what the Canucks are going to do with Luongo. Is Florida now back in the market to reacquire him? Is Tampa Bay ready to give up the farm for him? Is Toronto willing to go for him, despite their now seemingly solid goalie situation ? (I don't think so)

Will the Panthers firesale begin? Where is Versteeg going to land?
Will Washington deal any pieces not named Ovechkin?
Will Philly make a deal to try and squeeze into the playoffs?
Will the Lightning make a deadline deal to try and give Stamkos another playoff run?
Will Edmonton deal any of their young pieces for some experienced defence?
Is Nashville able to pull off a hockey deal for some more scoring?

Other teams who might certainly try and make a deal to get better at the deadline:

NY Rangers - they have underperformed badly, and I have to think they are looking to get a significant piece to give them a boost. A gritty scoring winger, or perhaps third line centreman.

Vancouver Canucks - certainly something they'd be looking for in a Luongo deal, but they need a replacement for Kesler pronto. Second line scoring in any form, prefferably with some size/grit.

Dallas - things haven't panned out perfectly, and with Jagr there and a decent core . . . they may try to make yet another deal to improve. Nieuwendyk is feeling the heat!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  10:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, if the Ducks can get Perry signed, and we have to assume it'd be at Getzlaf-like dollars, they could have a serious problem down the road when some of their prospects like Etem, Palmieri, Gibson, Lindholm, etc develop and need 2nd deals. Who knows though where the cap will be in 5 or so years? Slozo, i hadn't heard anything about him moving east. Is this being reported as his desire? I'm assuming he's from ONT? Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what teams are willing to pony up for a potential UFA of his calibre.

The Iginla to Pitts talk is scary! I don't think i have to explain why. Only thing i can't figure out, is if they do in fact move him, why didn't they a couple years ago? Fair enough if he wanted to stay and made that clear i guess there's no explanation necessary. If they do move him, does Kipper move along as well and offer someone a really good goalie for a playoff run, though to be honest, i can't think of a team where he'd be a fit at this stage in his career? Would he be happy going to a contender and being a backup??? I'm thinking mostly eastern conference, and aside from Carolina depending on Ward's injury and rehab, there's only really the Leafs who i'd venture to guess wouldn't be willing to pay the price for a short term goalie?

Then there's the Canucks.....AH, the Canucks [sigh]. With Minny and LA heating up, they could struggle to make the playoffs let alone do any damage! Sure, they could battle Minny for the div and gifted 3 seed that comes with it, but it could be tight! Having said that, looking below them in the standings, i don't see a lot in the way of teams which could jump up and take a playoff spot from them, save maybe Dallas or perhaps Phoenix? Anything's possible i suppose but if i were running the Canucks, i'd be moving one of the goalies before the dealine for sure. They need to make a decision and i think it should invovle shopping both to see what is out there as far as returns. Of course, any shopping of Schneider would have to come from confidence that Eddie Lack will be good enough 3-5 years down the road to take over from Luongo. I don't know enough about Lack, though the team does speak highly of him.

As far as Luongo to Florida goes, i heard yesterday that Florida has said that they're not at all interested in taking on any salary for the balance of the season. I'm guessing they're gonna run with Markstrom and give him a chance to prove he's ready to take over the starters position. If by chance he fails badly, they may be interested in a guy like Luongo at the draft / during the offseason.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  12:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from a Leafs perspective, i think the two "big" names that are more then likely to be moved are MacArthur and Liles.
MacArthur is a UFA this summer and i don't see the Leafs planning to re-sign him. plus they need a spot on the roster for Lupul when he's healthy, which looks to be soon. and Mac's play of late puts his stock at pretty much peak level. could get something of value in return.
Liles i think has become expendable mostly because of the way guys like Franson, Kostka, Holzer, and Fraser have been playing this season. and also because it looks like Gardiner will be getting the call up very soon. Liles' contract is reasonable, and is still a dependable offensive defenceman.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  13:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Habs fan I hope they do nothing at the deadline to "win now" Of course if the right deal came along that could benfit the team in the future as well improve their team for the playoff by all means go for it. But a lot have mentioned Ryan Clowe as a possible target for the habs, I like Clowe but i do not want to see the habs to give away a 1rst and a 2nd or good prospect or worse all three for the services of a rental player,

I think the Leafs are in exactly the same boat as the habs in the regard, both are solid teams with solid records this season but need more than a quick fix at the trade deadline to become a true contender. So if i were a leafs fan i would hope that if a trade came along for the long term benifit of the team they would consider it, but avoid any short term soutions that will create whole in the team down the road,

Iginla i could see going to Boston, he deffinelty fits the mold of their type of player. It would also give him a good chance at a stanley cup, The bruins are also deep in picks and young prospects and could afford to make a move like trade for inginla to give them the top line scoring winger ther don't really have with all due respect to Horton Marchand and Lucic,

Clowe could wind up in Nashville, why? jsut a feeling he would fit well there,

Perry isn't going anywhere, the ducks are in second and have a solid chance at a stanley cup, yes it would be terrible to not move Perry and lose him for nothing at free agency but it would be worse to trade you second best player when you are in contention for a stanley cup. Perry will be moved in the off season before July 1rst and obviously for less.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  21:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Stastny to TO rumours begin to swirl again (on the Canucks telecast tonight they talked about it). Anything outta Toronto on this possibility?
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  00:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

The Stastny to TO rumours begin to swirl again (on the Canucks telecast tonight they talked about it). Anything outta Toronto on this possibility?

Asking price will be too high

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Guest4068
( )

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  01:47:49  Reply with Quote
Being a Flames fan my whole life, the only place I wouldn't mind seeing Iginla go to would be Pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9053
( )

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  05:12:40  Reply with Quote
Ottawa won't get a rental, so if they make a move it'll be someone that will be with the team for years.

With Karlsson/Spezza/Michalek/Cowen/Anderson out, the fact that they're still in the race has surpassed all expectations. They weren't expected to be anywhere close to striking distance of the playoffs without their top 2 forwards, their #1 & 3 D and the Vezina frontrunner. No expectations = no need to sell the farm on a rental.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:

Asking price will be too high

66 is > than 99

Yeah, you know Toronto - always some rumour about half the good players in the league. Stastny has been talked about a lot, but only by bloggers, sportscasters and commentators . . . no one credible source to suggest Colorado and Toronto have been in talks. Most of it is what hockey people think would "make sense" in terms of a deal.

And obviously, they have a point - with ROR signed, the Avalanche are deep in young centres, and Stastny makes the most sense to move - it's obviously not going to be Duchene. And, what does Colorado need? Why, defencemen . . . something Toronto surely has lots of to deal. If they want to take on a bit of salary and get a centre back . . . surely Bozak and a d-man should work, I'd think. Even Grabovski and a D-man maybe . . . that's a lot less likely however.

It's a definite possibility, for sure; but no real smoke here yet.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read today that Sam Gagner is a good bet to be moved. With all the other young future stars in Edm, there's talk they won't be able to afford Gagner after this breakout season that sees his stock at an all time high!

Now, since almost EVERY rumour goes through Toronto, how about Gagner in the blue and white? Has he convinced anyone that he's a true #1 center? He'd be better than the Leafs have had in a while maybe, but i still consider him, as do many, a solid 2nd liner. Would the Leafs be willing to give up enough for a guy who i believe is RFA after this season? What would it take to get him from Edm? I assume the Oilers would want a dman at the very least but with Shultz there, would an offensive guy like Gardiner fit? Would the Leafs let him go considering they have Rielly in the system, likely only a year or two away from contributing?

Gagner for Gardiner, straight up? Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  12:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spezza scheduled to be back in a month
Michalek is back now and playing well
Karlsson is a possibility for the playoffs maybe a later round
Cowen isnt expected back this year, but not a major piece
Anderson is day to day and the goalies now are doing fine.

If the right piece became available, they might rent a player to make a push to ensure a playoff position, while hoping the majority of the pieces return. They are looking into long term depth for defense and forwards, but they also have young highly skilled depth on the roster gaining NHL experience every day. The sky isn't falling and Murray has no intention of selling the farm. I wouldnt be surprised to see one of the goalies dangled for veteran depth upfront or on the back end. Most likely a puck moving defenseman, as they seem to have a good shutdown core right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9053

Ottawa won't get a rental, so if they make a move it'll be someone that will be with the team for years.

With Karlsson/Spezza/Michalek/Cowen/Anderson out, the fact that they're still in the race has surpassed all expectations. They weren't expected to be anywhere close to striking distance of the playoffs without their top 2 forwards, their #1 & 3 D and the Vezina frontrunner. No expectations = no need to sell the farm on a rental.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  13:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Read today that Sam Gagner is a good bet to be moved. With all the other young future stars in Edm, there's talk they won't be able to afford Gagner after this breakout season that sees his stock at an all time high!

Now, since almost EVERY rumour goes through Toronto, how about Gagner in the blue and white? Has he convinced anyone that he's a true #1 center? He'd be better than the Leafs have had in a while maybe, but i still consider him, as do many, a solid 2nd liner. Would the Leafs be willing to give up enough for a guy who i believe is RFA after this season? What would it take to get him from Edm? I assume the Oilers would want a dman at the very least but with Shultz there, would an offensive guy like Gardiner fit? Would the Leafs let him go considering they have Rielly in the system, likely only a year or two away from contributing?

Alex, if I'm the Leafs I don't think I make that trade. we already have a player very similar to Gagner in Kadri, which i think is our no. 2 center of the future. outside shot at being no. 1.
as for Gardiner, i don't think the Leafs trade him unless its a deal they can't possibly say no to. he is a key part of the teams future.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  14:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was to decide who to play on the 2nd line as centre in Toronto and Kadri or Gagner where my choices, I'd go with Gagner. I know Kadri has impressed for the last month and a bit but he has disapointed for years, whereas Gagner has much more experience. I'd also think Edmonton would want more in return for Gagner than just Gardiner. Gagner has proven he is a legit Centre. There was a point this season in Edmonton, where he was the only centre on a ravaged team down the middle and his performance was exceptional. Some of the games I watched the oppositions plan was to key in on Gagner to stop the Oilers because behind him the was no depth with the injuries to Hall and Horcoff. Instead of being shutdown, he went on an extended point streak.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

quote:

Alex, if I'm the Leafs I don't think I make that trade. we already have a player very similar to Gagner in Kadri, which i think is our no. 2 center of the future. outside shot at being no. 1.
as for Gardiner, i don't think the Leafs trade him unless its a deal they can't possibly say no to. he is a key part of the teams future.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gipper, i guess the trading of Gardiner comes down to "you gotta give something to get something". A lot of Leaf fans are extremely high on Gardiner and seem to consider him untouchable? Obviously they've seen more of him than most of us, but he's totally unproven at this point and with the drafting of Rielly, i think he can be had (for the right price). Reilly is considered by most, to be a better long term dman than Gardiner is. Maybe it's just me, but i'm beginnnig to wonder if the expectations on Gardiner are just too high?

Joshua.....long term Gagner could be better. But i don't know if its fair to say that Kadri's sample size isn't big enough when really Gagner has been extremely avg (some would say disappointing) until this season!

If these two teams were interested in a swap, it'd be really interesting to see who had to add to the trade to make it happen. I'm guessing most Leaf fans would say it would take more than Gagner for Gardiner and others would prob have the opposite opinion! Where's Beans when ya need him?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  17:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stop your dream right here - not in a million years will the Leafs get Gagner. They have enough 2nd line centres (Bozak, Grabo, the emerging Kadri who could become a top line centre) of which two are better or have more upside, and Bozak is only going to get dealt IMHO for a true #1 centre (in a package, naturally).

Trust me!

I also predict that Gardiner does not get moved, and that once a Liles/Komisarek deal happens, Gardiner moves up with the big club and stays.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  18:25:41  Reply with Quote
1st - I agree with Slozo
2nd - Edmonton has no need for Gardiner or any prospective offensive D-men. They have Schultz and Petry as offensive D prospects and Whitney has found his form again. The only D-men Edm needs are solid proven d-men. Like a Peitrangelo would be nice.
3rd - In my opinion Gagner is worth more than Gardiner.
4th - I wouldn't doubt if Gagner does get traded. He went or at least almost went (can't remember) through arbitration at the end of last season. Meaning he already wanted more than what Tambo(GM) wanted to give him.
5th - It's too early to say for sure what Edm will do. If they win the next few their in playoff contention if they lose the next few they are bottom 8. If they are playoff bound don't expect too many big changes. If they are headed to the bottom i would still think Kahbibulin, Whitney and Hemsky get traded before Gagner but you never know...
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  19:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
herd an interesting one today Detroit is apparently after Iginla, step back and think about it it would be a great fit but im sure Detroit is only interested if iggy signs with them

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  21:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I'll stop your dream right here - not in a million years will the Leafs get Gagner. They have enough 2nd line centres (Bozak, Grabo, the emerging Kadri who could become a top line centre) of which two are better or have more upside, and Bozak is only going to get dealt IMHO for a true #1 centre (in a package, naturally).

Trust me!

I also predict that Gardiner does not get moved, and that once a Liles/Komisarek deal happens, Gardiner moves up with the big club and stays.

First off, who's supposed to "stop their dream"? Did i miss something? Secondly, how can you say the Leafs will not get Gagner (in a million years)? It's not like it'd be the worst/dumbest thing they'd ever done!

Now, please tell me which two current TO guys "are better or have more upside" than Gagner??? I'll give you Kadri, though that's still only a guess really. Bozak? Grabo? Are you telling me one of these guys is better or has a higher upside than Gagner? I respectfully disagree.

Slozo, aside from thinking that Gardiner will be a Leaf for awhile, i'm curious of your opinion on a deal if it did happen? I'm assuming you're of the belief that it would be Edm which would have to sweeten the pot on a Gagner for Gardiner deal? Just curious as we've seen a few different opinions already.

Now, getting back to pipe dreams, Guest4315, Pietrangelo??? Yikes, i hope the Oilers are willing to offer up more than just Gagner for this future Norris winner (my guess)!!!

I think the Oilers would love to deal Hemsky, and who knows, he could be a good fit on some teams? He just seems to be streaky and disappears from time to time?

As for the Oilers D needs, i don't think that because of Shultz and Petry that they simply wouldn't be interested in Gardiner. They prob would like someone a year or two further along in his development but that player might be hard to come by. Not sure if the Rangers need another C like Gagner but perhaps he'd look good behind B. Richards? Then again, the season Richards has had, he may find himself playing ahead of him!

How about a deal of Gagner for a guy like Mcdonagh or Girardi?

If they weren't in the same division, i'd say the Canucks could make a run at him, but not sure they are really in the market for a guy like Gagner. I think, unless there's a plan to look at moving Kesler, they'd more than likely be looking for a guy who could fill in at 2nd line C, but then slide into the 3 spot when Kes is back?

Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  00:12:46  Reply with Quote
Never said Edm could get Peitrangelo for Gagner just that this is the type of d-man that Edm needs. You know, one that's doing big things now and is in their prime. One that can fit in the top pairing.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4636
( )

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  06:18:32  Reply with Quote
Iggy well never go to the wings they don't have a team any more .. i think in the next few yr's the wings well be cellar dwellers.... Iggy well go to the Pens with out a doubt smart move on his part too..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

First off, who's supposed to "stop their dream"? Did i miss something? Secondly, how can you say the Leafs will not get Gagner (in a million years)? It's not like it'd be the worst/dumbest thing they'd ever done!

Now, please tell me which two current TO guys "are better or have more upside" than Gagner??? I'll give you Kadri, though that's still only a guess really. Bozak? Grabo? Are you telling me one of these guys is better or has a higher upside than Gagner? I respectfully disagree.

Slozo, aside from thinking that Gardiner will be a Leaf for awhile, i'm curious of your opinion on a deal if it did happen? I'm assuming you're of the belief that it would be Edm which would have to sweeten the pot on a Gagner for Gardiner deal? Just curious as we've seen a few different opinions already.

Now, getting back to pipe dreams, Guest4315, Pietrangelo??? Yikes, i hope the Oilers are willing to offer up more than just Gagner for this future Norris winner (my guess)!!!

I think the Oilers would love to deal Hemsky, and who knows, he could be a good fit on some teams? He just seems to be streaky and disappears from time to time?

As for the Oilers D needs, i don't think that because of Shultz and Petry that they simply wouldn't be interested in Gardiner. They prob would like someone a year or two further along in his development but that player might be hard to come by. Not sure if the Rangers need another C like Gagner but perhaps he'd look good behind B. Richards? Then again, the season Richards has had, he may find himself playing ahead of him!

How about a deal of Gagner for a guy like Mcdonagh or Girardi?

If they weren't in the same division, i'd say the Canucks could make a run at him, but not sure they are really in the market for a guy like Gagner. I think, unless there's a plan to look at moving Kesler, they'd more than likely be looking for a guy who could fill in at 2nd line C, but then slide into the 3 spot when Kes is back?

Dude - just being "tongue-in-cheek" with you on the dreaming . . . it's just banter.

To answer your question - Grabovski is better than Gagner, IMHO. I'm not going to get into it in so much detail since this is a trade rumour thread, but . . . I will take consistency and 100% effort and good defensive play over flashes of brilliance and uninspired play 60% of the time (it's been better this year I assume, but you get the picture). Kadri, as you guessed, is the one who I think has more upside, and is actually better right now as well (it's a small sample size, so really I base it more on potential).

Bottom line, I know Nonis will not deal young, still developing talent unless it's for a BONA FIDE (shout out to OILINONTARIO) top line centre. So Bozak will not be replaced for a Gagner, no way. Stastny maybe . . . but not Gagner.

On your second point about Gagner to the NY Rangers for a d-man? Well, I can totally see them going AFTER Gagner, but no way do they give up a d-man . . . they just lost Staal, I don't see it myself. It'd have to be a hockey deal.

I definitely see the Rangers being in the mix in many of these possibles . . .

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  09:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4315

Never said Edm could get Peitrangelo for Gagner just that this is the type of d-man that Edm needs. You know, one that's doing big things now and is in their prime. One that can fit in the top pairing.

You mean one that is in demand from about 25 teams in the NHL and comes at a very steep premium... and you think that Gagner straight up will get 'er done.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  10:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo.....apologies if my question about the "dream" came off as defensive. I actually didn't wanna re-read everyone's posts and wasn't sure if someone had actually made a comment that you were referencing? "Tongue in cheek" stuff as you know, doesn't always come off the same in print.

As far as Gagner vs Grabo, we'll have to agree to disagree. I get the "effort" and that, but for me, i'd take a 23 year old kid with 6 years under his belt who looks to be possibly breaking out over a 29 year old with actually less NHL games played, who seems to be struggling a bit this year. They're both roughly the same size, Grabo's PPG over his career is .612 while Gagner's is .625 (very similar), Gagner is 6 years younger AND, while Grabo may have a higher career best for G's and Pts, Gagner has been extremely consistent at a very young age and is now showing signs of a possible breakout. Gagner's ceiling i would guess, is considered much higher by most people.

Regardless, i was just throwing it out there and not suggesting it was something i was predicting (TO getting Gagner). I was more interested in seeing what Leafers thought of the suggestion. BTW, though i'm assuming you're on the Gardiner side, i don't think you've answered my question about value "IF" in fact TO was interested in Gagner? Who would be throwing in the extra(s) to make a deal happen (Gagner for Gardiner).

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  10:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darren Dreger over at TSN is reporting that Chris Stewart's name is popping up in trade conversations. he also goes on to say that the Blues are looking to add a defenceman, and also that they have interest in Kulemin because he'd fit well into Hitchcock's model of play.

first, is Stewart really available? with the year he's having, and considering he's only 25, would the Blues be willing to part ways with him?
second, if he is........would a package of Kulemin and Liles be enough to get him? i'd love to see Stewart in a Leafs jersey.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  10:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno if those two would fetch Stewart, but you never know. I think that St. Louis is struggling a little bit (nothing to panic over) compared to where they, and many, thought they'd be at this point and they know that to get something good, you gotta give something good. Stewart fits that mold as the Blues have some young forwards including Tarasenko who they probably envision taking over the #1 RW spot sooner than later. Also, Oshie, i think, has been moved to a RW spot on Schwartz's line so maybe they're not as concerned about a lack of depth at RW as one might expect if they were to deal Stewart?

In the end though, i'd expect the asking price to be pretty high for Stewart and if they can get enough for him to offset his absence, they'd make the deal to shake up their team a bit going towards the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  12:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a choice between Gagner vs Grabo or Kadri I'd go Gagner. This year with injuries Gagner is finally seeing extended time on the top 2 lines on a regular basis and has 25 points in 2 fewer games than the TO centres. Kadri with less than 40 NHL games to his resume has the same point total as Gagne in 2 extra games played, but Grabo has only 11 now that he is seeing reduced icetime on the top line with the emergence of Kadri. Kadri is only 1 year younger than Gagner, both have the same knock against for there 2way game and smaller stature, but Gagner has more experience by 150 games in the NHL. I also dont see Gardiner as full value trade wise for Gagner. I do like the potential upside Gardiner, has but this is the same player who has spent the majority of this season in the AHL with the depth TO has on Defense. I say TO would have to offer more for Gagner

quote:

Slozo.....apologies if my question about the "dream" came off as defensive. I actually didn't wanna re-read everyone's posts and wasn't sure if someone had actually made a comment that you were referencing? "Tongue in cheek" stuff as you know, doesn't always come off the same in print.

As far as Gagner vs Grabo, we'll have to agree to disagree. I get the "effort" and that, but for me, i'd take a 23 year old kid with 6 years under his belt who looks to be possibly breaking out over a 29 year old with actually less NHL games played, who seems to be struggling a bit this year. They're both roughly the same size, Grabo's PPG over his career is .612 while Gagner's is .625 (very similar), Gagner is 6 years younger AND, while Grabo may have a higher career best for G's and Pts, Gagner has been extremely consistent at a very young age and is now showing signs of a possible breakout. Gagner's ceiling i would guess, is considered much higher by most people.

Regardless, i was just throwing it out there and not suggesting it was something i was predicting (TO getting Gagner). I was more interested in seeing what Leafers thought of the suggestion. BTW, though i'm assuming you're on the Gardiner side, i don't think you've answered my question about value "IF" in fact TO was interested in Gagner? Who would be throwing in the extra(s) to make a deal happen (Gagner for Gardiner).

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  13:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4636

Iggy well never go to the wings they don't have a team any more .. i think in the next few yr's the wings well be cellar dwellers.... Iggy well go to the Pens with out a doubt smart move on his part too..

everyone wants to be a Red Wing, say what you want it is by far the best organization in the NHL espcially for vetrans they take great care of their own. You know Kostintinov still has a stall in their locker room with all his equipment hanging, and he often watches games from the bench,

Iginla is the kind of player they would want and he apprently love playing for Babcock in Vancouver, dont count out the red wings just yet!!!

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  20:33:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4315

You mean one that is in demand from about 25 teams in the NHL and comes at a very steep premium... and you think that Gagner straight up will get 'er done.

You must really be handicapped. What part of the underlined part makes you think that I or anyone for that matter would think this is a fair trade. Go back to preschool, learn to read, learn to process thoughts and then you can rejoin the conversation.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  05:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

To answer your question on value? Gardiner over Gagner, I'd think . . . but it's tough since they are two totally different positions. But again, I really can't imagine this ever happening.

How you can state that "Gagner has been extremely consistent at a very young age and is now showing signs of a possible breakout" is beyond me. Do you remember last year? Seriously? First half of the season, Gagner is a talented bust, trying to get unloaded by the team . . . for two weeks, he's Wayne Gretzky . . . then he's ordinary again. SO consistent . . . . riiiiiight.

Hey - this year, he HAS been surprisingly consistent, I'll give you that. But it's 25 games . . . that's it. Don't let the shortened season let you think it's anything longer.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  08:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo....i guess when i commented on Gagner's consistency, it came off as sounding like a 100% good thing. It's fair to say that he was touted as a much better player than he'd shown up until this year, but by consistent, i meant "you knew what you could expect out of him" up until that point in his career. Look at these numbers for a better explanation of why i considered him consistent......

Sam Gagner:
2007/08 - 13G, 36A, 49pts
2008/09 - 16G, 25A, 41pts
2009/10 - 15G, 26A, 41pts
2010/11 - 15G, 27A, 42pts
2011/12 - 18G, 29A, 47pts

I call that extremely consistent. Now, he finally looks to be having a bit of a breakout and is on a pro-rated 82game sched pace of 78-79 points! Also, when bringing up Gagner's "bust / Gretzky" year of 11/12, he actually had 21pts in the first 41 games and 26 in the last 41 games. Now, take away the 8pt night in the second half that skews the numbers slightly and tell me that he's not consistent throughout the year. Personally i don't think he channelled his inner Gretzky for a 2 week period, moreso 1 night! He had similar streaks to that one, save for the 8pt night during the first half of the season. Sure, week to week he could be considered streaky, but over a season, it's hard to argue with the numbers above.

In fairness, when i first looked at Grabo's numbers (ignoring the first couple of season's where he played very limited in Montreal), they didn't look as consistent. However, upon looking again, and factoring in games played (which is a little more inconsistent), he has put up a fairly consistent pace as well. The big difference for me when stating which guy i'd prefer if i were a GM with that choice is twofold. One, Gagner is 6 years younger! Two, he appears to be on a break out as compared to the exact opposite for Grabo.

I just don't see how anyone could prefer Grabo to Gagner (today) if they had a choice.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  09:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much the arguement I was gonna propose Alex. The other point I raised is that this is the first time, on a long term regular basis, that Gagner has consistantly been placed on the top 2 lines with decent TIO and linemates, which is in no small part of the reason for his seeming increase in stats.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  13:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to chime in on the Gagner vs any Leaf centre argument. Firstly, Gagner's stats do show what would be perceived as consistent play but he has not been very consistent in his career. Before you think I'm agreeing with Slozo, the inconsistency in not Gagner's fault. He has been through 4 coaches in his 6 years with the team. All the coaches with the exception of Kruger were using Gagner as a 3rd or 4th line player and only filling in the top two lines due to injuries. If you look at Gagner's performance, he has been very consistent when he has played on the top two lines but inconsistently played on those lines prior to this year.

Secondly, I would take Gagner over literally any of the Leafs centres. All of them. Even Kadri. Kadri’s 20ish game streak proves nothing. Gagner's 6 seasons of 40 or more points and a pace this that would translate to an 80 pt season over a full year. Even at the top of the potential I don't think Kadri will every be better than Gagner. Maybe as good but not better and he's a few years away from that. Why move a player who is there for a player who might be there in a few years?

Finally, and with all due respect to anyone who made the comments, any who says Gagner's effort is inconsistent doesn't watch many Oiler games. Since his first season in the league Gagner is often the hardest working Oiler most games. He give a tremendous effort almost all the time. Not saying the guy never has an off game and it is possible that the only games a person watched the Oilers play are those that Gagner had a weak effort it. The guy works his bag off all the time.

Now that Gagner has had a chance to be on the top two lines consistently I have no issue with him staying. There are other players that also deserve consistent time on the top lines but not at the expense of Gagner. I would rather see the Oilers move Hemsky and use that $5 million to re-sign Gagner. If that's not possible, at least get value back for Gagner. Don't let him walk in the offseason for nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  18:28:26  Reply with Quote
Gotta agree with Beans, I too would take Gagner over any TOR center. Also I don't see them trading him away unless we get another top 6 center via trade back/other trade/free agency or if they actually decide to move Hallsy to center.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4209
( )

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  18:46:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4636

Strange last I looked Detroit still had a team called the Red Wings.

On it, I think Mr. Pavel, Henrik, Valteri, Johans will need to kindly disagree with your statement that they have no team. They looked pretty darn good skating around Vancouver last night.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  16:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with everything that R. Miller has done in the last couple of days. do you think he is on the table. and if so what would it take??
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  21:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking. Bozak is not going anywhere but is it possible for a deal between Vancouver and Toronto with bobby Lou going to tor and Grabo going to van. Obviously not straight up. So say

To van
Grabovski, MacAther, and a 2 round pick conditional. (If the leafs make the 2nd round of the play offs)
To tor
Roberto Louongo

Well van fans what do you think.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  22:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really not one to comment as i've been the one for almost a year now saying that the Canucks are asking for way too much for Luongo. But, i'll comment anyway....

I don't think Grabo is the kind of guy they would be after, though if it's all they can get, maybe they'd do it? He's just too small and not gritty enough for what pretty much the entire universe has claimed is the Canucks need. Having said that, he'd fill in for Kesler till he's back and then either be a 3rd line C or he or Kes would have to move to a wing? Not ideal, but the Nucks' / Gillis' hands are somewhat tied here. The experts say that the market for Lu would be a bit better come summer, but that doesn't help the Nucks for this year's playoffs, having a 5.3M guy getting spot duty!

I still think the Canucks are hoping to get Bozak, and to be honest, i'm not sure he's really much better than Grabo?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  09:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard today that the Leafs would consider Kipper over Loungo, due to his contract length, but thats only if he reports to play. Kipper has stated he wishes to remain in Calgary due to a newborn and wants to be a Flame. I wonder if the former Flames connection in Toronto and the possibility of the playoffs will sway him away. I also read the other day that Kipper is considering taking next year off regardless of location. I hope this not to be true if he remains a Flame. There are so many good goalies in play at the end of this season, but Kipper if he would play for another team would be a great rental.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page