Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Kovalchuk retires! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just breaking news, so no real info on it. But, does this mean he can just go and play in the KHL now? Or is there anything preventing him from doing that?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was never likely to finish his contract with 13 year remaining and just saved the Devils $77million. Huge hole to fill on the roster, but he may just have saved this franchise from itself. From reports I have read New Jersey is not in a finacially strong position and for the next 4 years have removed $11 million from the payroll.

Anybody know if his cap space has been saved or if a portion will count against there cap. I don't know if having Kovalchuk on the roster will affect fans butts in the seat to the tune of his $11 million per year contract, but he is the most legit threat to score they had.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm curious to see what retirement does to the whole cap thing.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  13:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to the rules, the NJD will be penalized the cap savings spread over the number of years he had left on his deal when he retired.

Cap savings: ~4M (600K in year 1, 600K in year 2, roughly 2.5M in year 3)
years left on deal: 11

Therefore, NJ will have a cap penalty of ~400K per year for the next 11 years. Pretty insignficant.

The cap penalty hit is not nearly as bad if a player retires early in the deal...
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  13:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this has nothing to do with no longer playing hockey. this has everything to do with the fact that he wants to go back to Russia. simple as that.
he spent the entire lockout last year in Russia and even hinted once it was all over that he wouldn't return to the NHL. so after letting the initial shock sink in, this really isn't a surprise. i fully expect him to play in the KHL, World Championships, and Olympics.

once the call with Kovalchuk was over, i bet Lou was dancing all around his office. at that moment in time he was the happiest man on earth, because i don't believe he ever wanted to sign him to this contract to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  13:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuxfan, isn't this early in the deal? Year 4 of 14 or something like that? Anyway, thanks for the breakdown.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  14:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that the guy in my keeper league who traded for Kovalchuk this past season and gave up his first rounder this year (4th overall) and J. Schwartz isn't too happy today.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  15:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gipper, who do you think wanted to sign Kovalchuk? Lou has ran that team autonomously for decades. Why do you think Lamorillo would be happy about losing a PPG forward in the prime of his career who plays more minutes than any other forward in the NHL? You can't replace that kind of player.

I do agree this is absolutely a decision to be in Russian and good on him. I don't think anyone would question a 30 yr old Canadian who made money in the KHL and retired in their prime to come home so I can't fault Kovalchuk for doing the same thing.

It also doesn't hurt that he can likely make as much or more playing in the KHL starting next season.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  16:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
250K cap hit for the next 13 years, according to Bob McKenzie.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Gipper, who do you think wanted to sign Kovalchuk? Lou has ran that team autonomously for decades. Why do you think Lamorillo would be happy about losing a PPG forward in the prime of his career who plays more minutes than any other forward in the NHL? You can't replace that kind of player.

I do agree this is absolutely a decision to be in Russian and good on him. I don't think anyone would question a 30 yr old Canadian who made money in the KHL and retired in their prime to come home so I can't fault Kovalchuk for doing the same thing.

It also doesn't hurt that he can likely make as much or more playing in the KHL starting next season.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

while i do agree that he runs that team without any interference, i remember reading or hearing something somewhere that Lou was pressured from new ownership to get it done. besides that i honestly don't think that Kovalchuk is the kind of player that Lou likes to build his team with. of all the championship teams he's put on the ice, he never really had a "flashy" player like Kovie. they were all based on a collective group of hard workers, that focused a lot on defence. Stevens, Elias, Madden, Arnott, etc. signing Kovie was a step outside his norm, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  17:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, not sure if I agree. Not trying to be difficult but Lou built a team around the best goalie in NHL history and the hardest hitter in NHL history.

That's pretty flashy isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  22:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big loss for NJ....why look for such a long term contract if .......he must have had a yearn for russia all along........, these, i`d rather be at home feelings don`t just happen overnight
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  04:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just when someone had posted about the controversies Roenick stirs up.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/what-theyre-saying-about-kovalchuk-bolting-for-khl/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  04:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, let's get this misconception out of the way, and on this one, I side with Beans:

Lou is NOT happy.

Replacing Kovalchuk on the team is impossible - and at this point, I do believe that NJ's plan on returning to the playoffs has officially been deep-sixed. On top of that, the picks dealt to GET Kovalchuk are now dust in the wind . . . the cupboards are bare.

Sure, the money thing . . . it's a big savings. But a few more years in the playoffs, and those revenues generated by those playoff games, coupled with merchandise sales for Kavlchuk jerseys, and all the extra revenue generated by having a more successful team / playoff team . . . that's WAY more than the money they are saving. In terms of "opportunity cost", the NJ Devils lose out on this big time, IMHO.

On Kovalchuk's decision? It was shocking at first, but as others mentioned, there were lots of hints at it, and I totally get it from his perspective. And . . . he will be KING of the KHL, top dog in a smaller league (in terms of revenues). It all seems fair enough, I can't really find any fan resentment for his decision, although, it is really a circumvention of a contract he signed in good faith, so there is that . . . . meh.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  05:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - Brodeur flashy, I'll give you that one. Stevens...not so much. at least not in the way i would describe flashy. offensively gifted high speed skater, puck dangler, undress the jock strap off the goalie type player. that kind of flashy.

Slozo - the picks dealt to get Kovie were made at the trade deadline as a rental player. the long-term deal he signed was as a UFA and only cost them cash and cap space (unless you include the penalty for circumventing the cap, which ended up being a 1st round pick). those picks you referred to were already dust in the wind

i honestly don't think Lou is as unhappy as you think he is. the owners i would agree with. they were counting on him to drive up revenue's. but Lou, given he is somewhat upset, i think is also relieved as he's got a lot more wiggle room going forward as far as the cap goes. and i'll stand firm with my belief that Kovalchuk didn't fit into the team model that Lou builds around.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  05:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add to Slozo's statement; let's not forget NJ also got fined $3 mil, a 3rd rounders, and a 1st rounder for cap circumvention.

Add it all up and it's massive. There is no doubt that it's a massive loss for New Jersey. Granted, they can rebuild easier with the cap space but you still don't replace a player like that. Also, with the timing of the retirement it didn't give NJ a chance at some big free agents. I wonder if they resign Clarkson or chase Lecavalier had this happened 2 weeks ago.

Maybe a guy like Hemsky becomes appealing to NJ? A guy can dream.........

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are still going to be teams that are looking to dump to make cap room. PHI, BOX, SJ - all are bumping up against the cap or over it right now and will have to unload, and a team like NJ now has lots of cap space to add players. They now have the money to resign Henrique (who remains RFA), as well as take care of other prospects in their system, and move forward.

It will probably suck for them this year, but that contract was going to be an albatross in coming years. Its also nice that Kovy did this early, and spared NJ a very painful cap penalty. This coming year was the first one where NJ would have saved considerably, thus upping the penalty dealt to them.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  08:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have to agree with Beans about the timing though. had they known prior to July 5th (or even the draft), they might have approached the UFA season a bit differently.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  14:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

have to agree with Beans about the timing though. had they known prior to July 5th (or even the draft), they might have approached the UFA season a bit differently.

I am thinking he indicated he was undecided and New Jersey might have been considering a buyout. If I was Kovalchuk I might have hoped for a buyout and go on 26 years later still receiving a check from the NHL, while having been retired from the KHL for over a decade. Either way he was the most likely player to leave the NHL for the KHL as he has been offered more money there and has stated he prefers to play there. Funny part is in 5 odd years if he decides to play for the NHL, at what point does the NHL pick up his contract.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  15:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anybody surprised that during his career from 2002 to 2013, no player scored more goals than his 417 goals and if he retires at 816 games, it will match his point totals, officially retiring him as a ppg player career wise. I knew he was good but these stats are excellent. Does he receive a HOF nod, in a few years.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 07/12/2013 15:17:55
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  08:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that when Kovalchuk got signed I was a bit suprised by Lou. This move didn't seem like a typical Devil move.

He is although irreplaceable. I wonder if Lou can pull a rabbit out of his hat to save this franchise. They don't have a lot of fans already and seem to be in a financial trouble.

Since their cup run in 2012 they lost Parise, Clarkson and now Kovalchuk. Elias is not getting younger and Brodeur wont play forever. These are huge names in hockey and huge lost for the Devils. If Lou can dig himself out of that hole and rebuild a good team, I'll be stunned and I will lift my hat to him as the greatest GM in the history of the NHL.

I already think really high of Lou, but this is just a whole lot of headaches for the coming years in NJ.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  15:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Since their cup run in 2012 they lost Parise, Clarkson and now Kovalchuk. Elias is not getting younger and Brodeur wont play forever. These are huge names in hockey and huge lost for the Devils.

Anybody remember that Sesame Street classic skit, "One of these things is not like the others"?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 07/14/2013 16:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  17:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

quote:

Since their cup run in 2012 they lost Parise, Clarkson and now Kovalchuk. Elias is not getting younger and Brodeur wont play forever. These are huge names in hockey and huge lost for the Devils.

Anybody remember that Sesame Street classic skit, "One of these things is not like the others"?

Oh, me! Me! Me! Can I guess!

Is it Clarkson? The 3rd line player in NJ who is now getting 1st line money in Toronto?

Is it Clarkson who doesn't belong?

Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  20:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst part is the first rounder NJ loses in the 2014 draft imagine if it's in the top 5

66 is > than 99

Edited by - @valanche on 07/14/2013 20:29:44
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  22:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LOL, I thought the same thing...

When did Clarkson become a "huge name in hockey"?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  07:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

quote:

LOL, I thought the same thing...

When did Clarkson become a "huge name in hockey"?

As soon as he was signed by the Leafs. All of a sudden he was an integral part of the Devils franchise and is one of, if not the best defensive forward to ever play the game of hockey.

At least in the minds of some.....or one........

Just so this thread doesn't go completely off the rails, TSN has reported that Kovalchuk has signed a 4 yr deal with St. Petersburg of the KHL. To the surprised of no one.

Edited by - Beans15 on 07/15/2013 07:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys I just pointed out players that they lost in the past few years.

Clarkson was a really important player in the past two seasons for the Devils and they lost him to free agency. No return nothing.

I know he's not a Brodeur, Kovalchuk, Parise or Elias. But he's still a solid player that they lost.

And yes I said it before Clarkson's contract is too much money for too long. But they still lost him to nothing. It hurts a franchise.

I didn't even mention anything about the Leafs, you guys did, so like Slozo, Duke or others mention in the past, you are feeding those Leafs debate more often then not.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  10:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oups I did say, those are big names in the NHL.

*Insert foot in mouth slowly*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page