Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Bounce back/Breakout seasons Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  18:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether it be a player who missed much of the season last year due to injury; a player who for some reason just plain sucked last season; or a young player who could be coming into his own. Which player(s) do you think will have a bounce back and/or a breakout season?

Two obvious choices in the bounce back category due to injury play on the same team.....Jason Spezza & Erik Karlsson.

Perhaps Tyler Seguin is primed to breakout on a new team and under the coaching of Lindy Ruff?

Who else? Let's hear everyone's thoughts, and perhaps spark some good debates.

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  19:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fleury would be a good candidate, same with Loungo, Miller, Ward just to think of a few goalies who's season weren't on par with there career.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins being the first forward I can think of or Eager from Edmonton. For Washington Grabovski, Brooks Laich if he can steal back the #2 center from Grabovski. Ottawa has been well stated, but Michalek would be the player in the most need of a bounce back season in Ottawa. In San Jose both big Joe and Marleau are being referred to as the old guard and could still put up top 10 numbers. Lecavelier in Philly could emerge as that ppg player he had been labeled in the past, same with who he replaced in Brier with the sparkplug offense in Montreal could be able to return to the form he had in Buffalo.

Those are the first bounce back players I can think of.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  09:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not talk about who COULD have a bounce-back or breakout eason . . . let's share who we PREDICT WILL have one!

#1 for me is Ryan Miller, Sabres goalie. I thik he'll have a big bounce-back season . . . the team severely underperformed last year, and I predict they will be in the thick of the playoff hunt come March/April.

#2 for bounce-back is Spezza . . . I can't think of the last time an elite player of his stature was out for most of the season, only to return and suddenly have an elite/very good player added
to his line. And he has shown before - coming back from injury, he gets his points.

#3 for bounce-back is . . . Jeff Skinner. Stickig with the Eastern Conference that I know so much better, this kid has all the talent, and he just had a poor half-season. He's gonna have a better season, and so will the team, count on it.

The breakouts are much harder to predict, of course . . . but here are my wild guesses:

#1 Jakob Silfverberg - remember this young talent who got traded to Anaheim in the Ryan deal? There's a reason the Sens fans thought it was a high price to pay . . . he's a talented kid, and I predict a breakout on Anaheim, where he's likely to get 2nd line minutes at least, maybe even a blessed shot at the top line with you-know-who and who. He's going to be my last pick in my draft . . . I am guessing he gets close to 60 points, 25 goals.

#2 Jonathan Huberdeau - he'll be in his second year, but instead of a swoon, I predict he'll take a Stamkos-like stats leap. He is gonna be a star in this league, 'nuff said.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  17:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stay away from injured guys like Spezza as i don't think seeing him put up 85pts with a guy like Ryan on his wing is really a "bounce back". Injured guys like RNH who played through their injuries i understand, but Spezza played just 5 reg season games. Regardless, to each their own.

1. Corey Perry - 36pts in 44 games isn't horrible, but it's certainly not enough from a former Hart winner! He'll a PPG player again and prob have 40+ goals.

2. Zach Parise - I think his .79PPG increases in year two in Minny. Somewhere in the 35G/40A range with an upside into the 80's?

3. I like the Skinner pick Slozo but i'll add another with Evander Kane. While it won't be a huge breakout, i think he'll take another step and increase his PPG and have a 30G/35A season (maybe even flirt with 70pts.) Two important things need to happen however, one, he needs to play a full season (he's not played more than 74 games in his young career. 2nd, he needs to have his head screwed on and not get into the coaches doghouse for behaviour that's already been questioned.

4. I'll go out on a limb and pick Yakupov, even with Gagner's injury (and RNH for that matter, though i believe he played and was pegged to play mostly with Gagner?). I still think with Eberle, Hall, Schultz, etc, they've got firepower on the PP and he'll see some time with Hall i'm sure. Perron is no slouch either and i hear he's having a pretty good preseason.

5. Slava Voynov had a little coming out party this past shortened season and i think he takes another step forward and becomes a top 12 dman as far as points go. He's a guy i'd take ahead of Doughty in a pool these days as he's become more of the offensive guy and Doughty, while still having some offensive skill, more the full time 2 way and/or shutdown guy in LA.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yakupov is a good pick, you are right. It's a perfect circumstance for him to become that top guy, get the top line minutes and pp time . . . too bad he's a keeper on someone else's team, I believe,

Agree with Parise, but he's an obvious pick to rebound, and it's not like it was such a swoon.

I love your Evander Kane prediction . . . just so you know, Evander Kane, Parise - both my keepers. Love it! Hopin gyou re right . . . but I feel it's gonna be a bit of a status quo for Kane - nothing spectacular, just something in the 28 goals, 55 points range. Solid, good enough.

Go to Top of Page

CrockOShight
Top Prospect

95 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  11:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I hope you guys are right about E. Kane and J. Skinner! I've got them both in my Pool!!

J. Quick - isn't he a prime candidate to "bounce back"? He "only" went 18-13-4 last season with a .902sv%. Almost lost his job to Bernier. Two seasons ago, he posted a .929sv% with 10SO. Won the Conn Smythe. In the playoffs last year, he looked himself again putting up a .934% with 3SO. So, is he getting back to form? Anyway, we all know what he CAN do. But, will he bring it this season?

A. Pietrangelo - He had a great season two years ago - 51 points, 6 GWGs, +16, and was a veritable shot-blocking and PP workhorse for the Blues. Last season, he was a rather mediocre finishing with just 24 points, and most disappointingly a 0 rating. Let's see how he bounces back this season.

A. Burrows - doesn't he just seem like the type of guy who will flourish under J. Tortorella? Still, it's not even like he had a bad season last year - Burrows is remarkably consistent throughout this career. No matter who he plays with. Anyway, no reason that he can't put up 55 points, 100PIMs and nearing 200 SOG. I think he is a candidate.

Ah, heck. There are tons of candidates out there: P. Sharp, T. Seguin, J. Eberle, V. Lecavalier, R. Kesler, D. Briere, J. Jagr, M. Ryder, J. Benn, S. Doan, M. Fisher, S. Weber, D. Roy, J. Iginla, .... tons.

Obviously, Spezza and Karlsson are the #1. But, I think that's cherry-picking. I think that we can all agree that Spezza will outscore his 5 points from last season. I thought we were talking about players that had "bad" seasons last year and were going to bounce back? Not players that had injuries and missed all of last season... ?

"I love your enthusiasm."
- Gary Bettman
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  11:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone know what the plan is with Benn and Seguin in Dallas? both are listed as center's on NHL.com. will one be shifted to the wing so they can play on the top line together? or do they play the no. 1 and no. 2 center rolls?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  14:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benn will play left wing.

I think Eriksson is prime for a bounce back. And Zack Kassian might have a breakout season.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  16:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Benn will play left wing.

I think Eriksson is prime for a bounce back. And Zack Kassian might have a breakout season.

Hopkins jaw being part of that breakout right

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  07:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Kesler for me is a real wildcard. He is a guy with real skill, and if healthy, can be in that 30 goal / 70 point range.

But who knows where he fits in with a new coach, team in a new division, and not knowing how effective he will be.

Eriksson, he's an automatic 30 goals, might be in the 70 point range on the Bruins. The Bruins offense hasn't looked this stacked in years.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page