Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs: good or lucky? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  16:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/are-the-leafs-good-or-just-lucky/

in my opinion GREAT article. what are your thoughts? i am of the opinion that they are a little of both!

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  10:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So basically, the Leafs have players with accurate shooting percentages, There special teams and transition game is exceptional, the goalies are playing above there weight class and the defense, while allowing a high volume of shots, are keeping shots to the low percentage areas and trusting the goalies can stop the majority of shots. Can't see any flaw in the argument, except when the Leafs get blown out, which happens every 5-10 games, when the plan seems to backfire. I don't think this team can handle a goalies off night or when the shots to goal % against catches up with them. Good on them for bucking that statistical edge, so far, but come playoff hockey time, they will need to fix this to beat teams like the Penguins and Bruins.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I meant no offense to the Leafs because I truly think you gotta be good to be lucky and the Leafs this season have been a little of both. I think they are the closest Canadian team at this time to being a Cup contender, but only if they can figure out how to lower the shots against. You cant rely on stellar goalie and goals in bunches with low shots for. Its not sustainable. Small tweaks and this could be a really good team.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  22:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's exactly what I mentioned in my controversial thread a few weeks back, that it ought to be a concern for the Leafs that they continue to get outshot in almost every game, and in some cases, quite drastically! This sort of thing will catch up with you for sure!

One interesting / sad note I heard was that a lot of fans at the ACC were booing Reimer in the blowout loss to CBJ! Really? Really? After the way that guy's played so far??? Heck, I thought only a Canuck fan would be so fickle......
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  05:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

It's exactly what I mentioned in my controversial thread a few weeks back, that it ought to be a concern for the Leafs that they continue to get outshot in almost every game, and in some cases, quite drastically! This sort of thing will catch up with you for sure!

One interesting / sad note I heard was that a lot of fans at the ACC were booing Reimer in the blowout loss to CBJ! Really? Really? After the way that guy's played so far??? Heck, I thought only a Canuck fan would be so fickle......

Any fans of any other team in that situation would have booed their players, and ultimately, their goalie. Other than hhaving some surefire HOFer in your net who is having an off night . . . you have to expect that, so it's no surprise at all. But because it's the Leafs, yadda yadda yadda . . . it's the terrible Leaf fans. Ho hum, whatever.

Oh, and about that surefire HOFer comment? I was wrong, I've seen Roy booed in Montreal in the same situation. Perhaps even Brodeur has gone through that in New Jersey, specifically a couple of years ago maybe?

lol

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  08:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Booing James Reimer is still not cool.

I would boo the team right now but definitly not Reimer or Bernier. Actually I would add McClement and Phaneuf. Those four are the only ones worth keeping away from booing. (also Dave Bolland prior to injury)

Alex, I remember clearly agreeing with you that it was scary to see the amount of shots against and also the quality of shots. Well, it's finally catching up to them.

Toronto right now are the worst team in the league. Since late october they are just brutal. They were able to win a few games on outstanding goaltending and taking most of their scoring rushes opportunity.

They are being knocked off the puck way too often, they just can't win a physical battle against the board. They lose too many faceoffs. Their passes in the neutral zone are always way off, which it usually turns out into an icing or a turnover. If they do get to the red line it's time to clear and change because they are so tired of running around in their zone. If they do get past the opposition blue line they better score on the rush because they can't maintain any good cycling.

Their PK which was excellent last year and the beginning of this year is finally being pierced by the other coaches. I don't know if you noticed but the Leafs are killing penalties like nobody else in the league. Two back (fine, one in the middle, and one that covers both point.) So the guy that covers both points has to skate like a chicken with no heads while the other forward just stands in the middle. Well it might have worked for a while, but it's time to change.

One more frustration, they are not commited and not blocking shots (That's why they lost game 7 last year against Boston, and that's why there is so many shots against this year. By the way they are 30th in shots against and 28th in shots for. How's that for being the worst team in the league.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  08:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I might have boo'ed at Anderson in the 1st period of the Sen's win over Washington, but his final 2 periods were stellar. Just goes to show its what you have done for me lately in the world of NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  14:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Any fans of any other team in that situation would have booed their players, and ultimately, their goalie. Other than hhaving some surefire HOFer in your net who is having an off night . . . you have to expect that, so it's no surprise at all. But because it's the Leafs, yadda yadda yadda . . . it's the terrible Leaf fans. Ho hum, whatever.

Oh, and about that surefire HOFer comment? I was wrong, I've seen Roy booed in Montreal in the same situation. Perhaps even Brodeur has gone through that in New Jersey, specifically a couple of years ago maybe?

Slozo....ever stop and think that maybe it's YOU who makes all things Leafs??? Why is it that every comment that isn't fully positive towards the Leafs, becomes "it's because it's the Leafs...."?

Also, you mention how any team's fans would have prob done the same? What exactly is your point. Is it ok then? Because i seem to recall a few years back, a thread regarding booing your home team, and if i'm not mistaken, you were on the side of "it's never right"?

Either way, i'd have brought this up for any team's fan doing the same considering the way the Leafs goalies have played. Being outshot in almost every single game and still being in a playoff spot is pretty amazing. It says something about how well the goaltending has been for a team. Why jump on a guy who's been one of your MVP's for a bad game? To be honest, i wasn't there, and only heard of it on the radio, so i don't even know how true it is/was. Maybe it was the whole team's performance that was being booed?

Regardless, time to ease up on your sensitivity towards anything with the letters L E A F S in it...
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  08:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. To be honest he hasn't been posting a lot lately, just like Beans. I was wondering if Leafs bias on this site was steering him away. Don't know where Beans has gone.

quote:

quote:

Slozo....ever stop and think that maybe it's YOU who makes all things Leafs??? Why is it that every comment that isn't fully positive towards the Leafs, becomes "it's because it's the Leafs...."?

Also, you mention how any team's fans would have prob done the same? What exactly is your point. Is it ok then? Because i seem to recall a few years back, a thread regarding booing your home team, and if i'm not mistaken, you were on the side of "it's never right"?

Either way, i'd have brought this up for any team's fan doing the same considering the way the Leafs goalies have played. Being outshot in almost every single game and still being in a playoff spot is pretty amazing. It says something about how well the goaltending has been for a team. Why jump on a guy who's been one of your MVP's for a bad game? To be honest, i wasn't there, and only heard of it on the radio, so i don't even know how true it is/was. Maybe it was the whole team's performance that was being booed?

Regardless, time to ease up on your sensitivity towards anything with the letters L E A F S in it...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  08:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My point is,
You missed it.

The point, that is.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  08:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Wow. To be honest he hasn't been posting a lot lately, just like Beans. I was wondering if Leafs bias on this site was steering him away. Don't know where Beans has gone.

I think Beans run away and hid after not coming up (as he promised he would) with our annual bet . . . but all joking aside, I honestly don't know what happened with him. Is it coincidental that the Oilers are finally expected to make the playoffs, are one of the worst teams to start the season, and he disappears at the same time? Perhaps, but we don't really know . . . I sort of doubt it, myself, as he was never afraid of the agressive back-and-forth, if you will.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  15:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My point is,
You missed it.

The point, that is.

Hmmm, maybe i did, but i don't think so. I may be guilty of going a bit off topic with my complaint re you making everything about the Leafs, but correct me if i'm wrong, your point was, pretty much any fanbase would have booed their goalie at that point?
The point i was making was that you were claiming that while any fanbase would have done the same, it's only being discussed because it's the Leafs.

As far as Beans goes, i have no idea what's up. I highly doubt that the poor early play of the Oilers has much or anything to do with it. Let's face it, at the end of the day, hockey is a game. It's something we play, watch, discuss, debate, etc for our entertainment. It's not life and death. I often think this when people insult me for being a Canuck fan. Do i really care? In the end, regardless of NHL hockey, i'm a happy person, i'm healthy, have a great family, great friends, etc and a lot to be thankful for, especially at this time of the year. I hope all is well with Beans and everyone around him and that this hiatus from PUH is simply him taking a break and not anything to do with his or anyone close to him's well being. Same goes for all you posters, regardless of whether or not i'm short with you from time to time.....
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  18:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the same with me. I got a little heated in the summer over the Alfredsson topic but would hate to see another poster who regularly has interesting points to stop posting due to a difference of opinion. Hope all is well for Bean's.

Back to the Leafs for a minute, whats going on. They are winless in 4, 1 win in 6, or 3 wins in 12 and all against weak opponents who are currently stuggling(Buffalo, Islanders and Washington). Whats the key to the struggles?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  20:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, obviously getting outshot almost every night has caught up with them. Their goaltending has come down to earth and it's affecting them now whereas earlier they were stealing games they prob shouldn't have won. Being outshot doesn't ALWAYS mean you've been outplayed / outchanced, but most of the time it leans this way. If your goalies are stealing you wins, you can mask this to some degree.

Having said all that, the injuries are a big part of it. Bolland was having such a great start too. Having almost NO centers doesn't help when you have to move a guy like JVR there. That just didn't work.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now the leafs are playing like crap. its a long season . they will get better .Every team has its bad spurts, the leafs are having theirs now.

Not making excuses for them but their constant injuries to top teir players is just killing them.....going into their next game they will be without Bolland, Lupul, and Bozak up front..........and Franson on D.

When you lose 3 of your top 6 forwards .....your complete 1st and 2nd lines turn into 1 line.....how can you replace that ??.......the leafs haven`t had 1 game this season with their full lineup intact.........not only do they miss just 1 front line player.....they are always out in bunches.

If they start playing 500 hockey with all these injuries right now.....they will be fine when every1 gets healthy.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9825
( )

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  19:54:28  Reply with Quote
This year's leaf reminds me a little of Ottawa last year and this year.

At the start the leafs played like Ottawa last year. Outstanding goaltending, timely scoring but terrible possession numbers and everyone was wondering if the stats would catch up with them.

Now the leafs are playing like Ottawa this year. The goalies though good are not crazy good anymore. What happens? The stats caught up to them. Just goes to show how powerful a statistical tool Corsi and its like are.

I like reading Cullen from TSN. His stats analysis are fantastic. And though some will disagree with him, his power rankings are consistently on the mark given historical data. Heck his projections are pretty consisten too (though injuries do put a damper on things).
Go to Top of Page

Guest2186
( )

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  03:48:32  Reply with Quote
Goalies not playing crazy good!?! This guy must be on glue !! For the first time I guess I'm gonna stick up for a leaf lol ... But this tandems numbers speak for themselves, they give up 50+ shots a game and still have a chance to win most nights. Hell I'd actually have bernier on team canada ahead of luo and behind price based on this years play. Anyways that's my rant, to say toronto s goalies aren't playing good is ridiculous!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2186
( )

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  03:54:23  Reply with Quote
But I guess it could be worse, at least there scoring goals! Before tonight Bishop went 1-2-1 in his last 4 with a 0.99 gaa lmao ... Talk about needin stammer back lol
Go to Top of Page

Guest6751
( )

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  07:43:22  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2186

Goalies not playing crazy good!?! This guy must be on glue !! For the first time I guess I'm gonna stick up for a leaf lol ... But this tandems numbers speak for themselves, they give up 50+ shots a game and still have a chance to win most nights. Hell I'd actually have bernier on team canada ahead of luo and behind price based on this years play. Anyways that's my rant, to say toronto s goalies aren't playing good is ridiculous!

When you go from .950+ save percentage to .925 save percentage I'd say agree with 9825's post. I'm re-reading 9825's post, they did say that the goalies went from crazy good to good (but your post suggests otherwise). Perhaps you should read the post more carefully before you rant.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  09:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched the TO vs DAL game last night......my god the leafs are going backwards.....whats up ??

Several key injuries aren't helping matters I know but there is something missing in their game. At times last night they looked dominating.....but this only lasted for 4 - 5 minutes.....then it was all Dallas again.

They seem to be not doing the little things, always in the wrong place to pick up a loose puck, CANT ever win that controlling face off.....they are always chasing the puck due to not controlling the draw......when-ever they start a pp, they lose the face-off and the puck is shot down the ice...re-grouping again.....

I think these shot totals have a lot to do with the opposition ALWAYS controlling the puck off face offs in the leafs end. A clean win. back to the point and the pucks on net....then the oppositions cycle begins.

The leafs D are getting exhausted all game long chasing the puck....when they do ring it around the boards to the blue line....guess what....theres no leaf winger in sight to chip the puck out then the commentator sez ......another give away by the leafs D.....oh my god
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  09:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention......its time for leaf management to realize that they don`t have anything close to a true # 1 center in their line-up.

A center with SIZE....skill....STRENGTH and one who can win or tie up opposing star centers off face offs.

there's only one way the leafs can obtain this kind of ( younger ) center.....( sorry leaf fans ) but either Gardiner or Reilly has to go in order to receive this player.

What the leafs need.....it will take either Gardiner / Reilly.....plus a first rd pick maybe to get this player coming the other way to the leafs.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  10:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A true #1 center with a good faceoff % would help, but I don't know if all the woe's Toronto is having are tied to the Centerman. Looks like playing without the puck is the problem in Toronto and for Ottawa for that matter. Just not strong enough along the boards and not in the correct defensive positions. Now that the goals against are going in and the goals for are not enough to win, Toronto needs stronger effort away from the puck. I don't blame the goalies for either of our teams. Its just a lack of team effort.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  11:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Forgot to mention......its time for leaf management to realize that they don`t have anything close to a true # 1 center in their line-up.

They don't, but they have been OK at centre so far this year. Between Bozak and Bolland, both legitimate #2 centres in their own right, they have been OK in the circle. But with them both out, it should be no surprise that they're losing a lot of faceoffs... especially to a team like DAL that has several very capable faceoff men. And as you pointed out, the shot count tells the possession story.

Are there any legitimate first line centres actually available right now that would be of interest to TOR?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  11:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

They don't, but they have been OK at centre so far this year. Between Bozak and Bolland, both legitimate #2 centres in their own right, they have been OK in the circle. But with them both out, it should be no surprise that they're losing a lot of faceoffs... especially to a team like DAL that has several very capable faceoff men. And as you pointed out, the shot count tells the possession story.

Are there any legitimate first line centres actually available right now that would be of interest to TOR?

Did you forget the other #2 center Kadri? The Leafs are full at the #2 center position without a truly great #1 center. Not the worst position to be in, but not the reason the are struggling.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  15:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think after the year Kadri had last season, unreasonable expectations got thrown his way this year. He was not far off a PPG pace last year and i think many figured he was a shoo-in for an 85pt year this time around. He's still young and learning the game. I'd be happy with his production to this point however, i don't watch him closely or often to see if the rest of his game is developing?

As for a C, i guess it would depend on the asking price. It's nice to see Gardiner's name mentioned Duke, as this kid has been pretty much "untouchable" as far as a trade goes for 99% of Leaf fans since day 1!!! I don't think you're far off saying he or Rielly would need to be part of an offer if they really wanna shot at a bonafide #1 C. Here's the problem though. Did they not resign Bozak to keep Kessel happy? Is he gonna suddenly drop to the 3rd line (if they aquire a #1), cuz when Bolland returns, he'll be the #2 again. So, will Bozak be ok with that? Will his buddy Kessel? And what about Kadri? Is he a C or a winger these days? Where does he fit in?

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  18:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think after the year Kadri had last season, unreasonable expectations got thrown his way this year. He was not far off a PPG pace last year and i think many figured he was a shoo-in for an 85pt year this time around. He's still young and learning the game. I'd be happy with his production to this point however, i don't watch him closely or often to see if the rest of his game is developing?

As for a C, i guess it would depend on the asking price. It's nice to see Gardiner's name mentioned Duke, as this kid has been pretty much "untouchable" as far as a trade goes for 99% of Leaf fans since day 1!!! I don't think you're far off saying he or Rielly would need to be part of an offer if they really wanna shot at a bonafide #1 C. Here's the problem though. Did they not resign Bozak to keep Kessel happy? Is he gonna suddenly drop to the 3rd line (if they aquire a #1), cuz when Bolland returns, he'll be the #2 again. So, will Bozak be ok with that? Will his buddy Kessel? And what about Kadri? Is he a C or a winger these days? Where does he fit in?

I forgot Kadri, thanks Josh.

I would assume that one of the #2 centres would go back the other way as well, if only to make room. Kessel and Bozak might have chemistry, but I would think that Kessel could somehow find a way to score with a true #1 as well... If the Leafs could somehow end up with a centre lineup of:

# centre
# Kadri or Bozak
# Bolland
# 4th line

They would probably be in good shape.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2186
( )

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  03:48:36  Reply with Quote
I think I would use gardiner to get the piece they need. Had high expectations after watching him in playoffs this year but I believe Reilly has proved to be more reliable and dynamic between the two. Agree the piece should be a #1centre with bozak, bolland , and mcclement moving down would make then pretty solid. Down the middle. I mean there's guys like Paul stastny who are up this year but don't know if that's an upgrade on bozak. You can always take jokinen off us jets fans hands ... Pretty please !?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  11:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were the leafs gm, I would love to have this combination.......

Obtain a true # 1 center....for the 1st line
2nd line center............Bolland
3rd line center............Bozak
4th line center............Jay . Mc

Kadri plays wing on 2nd line and fills in either center position due to injury.

Kadri`s point totals were fine last season and are pretty good this year........this is not their problem.....the problem is battling the other teams top center-men for puck possession .......winning the puck battles in the dirty areas, right now the leafs don't have this.....other than Bolland, and he is not playing.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  15:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love how we are discussing the Leafs good or lucky, while they plummet, as expected, down the standings, while ex Leafs (Schrivens,Grabovski) or players who dodge the Leafs bullet (Sequin) are performing amasingly. The world is a funny place.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  16:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fire the coach.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  14:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshau, being a spark plug was never Grabo`s problem....guess the leafs just felt he was under-performing on his salary collections, they were probably right looking at his recent decline in Toronto.

The leafs let players go who worked their asses off, no doubt about it , these trench guys are hard to replace.

Grabo......M. Brown.....L. Komo......these 3 gave 100 % every shift.

Bolland who replaced 1 of them is out injured

Raymond is another replacement who brings a different style of game

Clarkson is the 3rd I guess, he certainly has yet to step his game up to where is needs to be, his role has yet to be determined by the leafs coach it seems, at least that's what ive seen.......I watch most all leaf games and I don't even know which line Clarkson is on

Grabo was a buyout, wasn1t putting up 5 million numbers and the coach hated him ( not much can be done about that ).........Leo Komo bolted to the KHL ( not much they could do about that either )..........WHY they let M. Brown go, I will never understand, /...excellent 4th line player who has great speed.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  17:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Grabo was a buyout, wasn1t putting up 5 million numbers and the coach hated him ( not much can be done about that ).........Leo Komo bolted to the KHL ( not much they could do about that either )..........WHY they let M. Brown go, I will never understand, /...excellent 4th line player who has great speed.

24 points in 29 games so far for Grabo... he is certainly putting up $5m numbers now. I still can't understand how TOR could not find a spot for this guy, especially given it was so expensive to buy him out. Looking at his stats, he really only had one off year, the year he was bought out - other than that he was good for 50-60 points (on a full 82 game season). He's on pace for more than that now, although that could be due to better linemates...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  23:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nux....i'm guessing the coach had a lot to do with the Grabo buyout. Carlyle is still relatively new in Toronto and he's obviously not going anywhere. If what we saw last year is the best they were gonna see from Grabo due to his relationship with the coach, well, he had to go. Let's face it, while he may look good now in Washington, TO must have at least attempted to trade him? Obviously they couldn't give him away with the combination of his salary and performance so there's more than just the Leafs who didn't want him at that salary!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  10:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it on topic, folks - Leafs lucky, or good.

The Grabo thing has other threads for it . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  15:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok slozo, no problem.......

but we pretty much got onto the topic of the leafs woes ( good or lucky ) partly because of the players who are not with them anymore.......players like Grab....Brown....L. Komo.....C. Mac

These departed roster players are related to the leafs performances this season.........basically, are they better with the new aquistions or were they better off with last years veterans ??.........it is related to the question.....leafs good or lucky
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  16:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the subject of Leaf's lucky, or good, can we add Ex Leaf's to the topic title. Sorry had to get one more plug in.

quote:

Keep it on topic, folks - Leafs lucky, or good.

The Grabo thing has other threads for it . . .

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  16:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey now this isn't Edmonton. But to be honest the coaching question is a little premature at this point, I think. Unless you are faulting the coach for all the poor possession numbers prior to the injuries. Have to ask, has Toronto's possession numbers improved even with the wholes in the roster? Haven't heard anyone point to them lately, just the freefall in the standings

quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Fire the coach.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  16:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its so hard to find a good coach for your team Joshua. Some NHL teams were luck to land a great one.

It certainly seems like when Torontos youth get more ice time ( which is not very often ) the teams has a better game and they spend more time in the oppositions end.......funny.

Maybe Carlyle should even out the ice time more and just roll 4 lines, see what happens.....its like one half of the team barely get on the ice and the other half play all night and get burned out.

I certainly think he has to trust his WHOLE team more instead of just relying on certain players.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9624
( )

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  16:12:23  Reply with Quote
good!
the tending has been outstanding, and being peppered night after night.
there is much for improvement.., but in this league luck will not carry you. they are sitting in the standings where they are is because they have a good team.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  08:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

It looks like TOR poor defensive play and reliance on stellar goaltending is finally catching up... Perhaps getting outshot 2-1 or 3-1 but squeaking out a win in the shootout is not the road to success after all.

To be fair, they have also been playing a different calibre of opponent lately - BOS is always good, and SJ, LA, STL are all cream of the crop teams in the NHL and the beasts of the west. Still...
Go to Top of Page

Guest8468
( )

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  14:49:51  Reply with Quote
Thread title needs a third option: "Bad". Get outshot every game, your first line center is Tyler Bozak, dress goons regularly in a skill-league and if you don't get 10/10 goaltending night in/night out you lose.

People put wayyyy too much weight into a shortened schedule and deluded themselves into thinking this team was world-beaters, when they are really just not horribly awful like they used to be. They have some talent on the wings, to be sure. But the contending teams build from down the middle and on the back end. Leafs suck in both areas. Now that their goalies aren't running absurdly hot, they are showing their true colours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page