Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Bishop an Oiler....almost. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  16:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't recall if this was discussed before, but apparently the Oilers were close to getting Ben Bishop in a deal around the time the Sens shipped him to Tampa. Turns out, Tambellini wouldn't budge on a second round pick and the deal fell through. The Oilers were offering a 2nd rounder as part of the deal, one they'd aquired from Anaheim (56th overall), and the Lightning insisted on the Oilers 2nd (37th overall). Tambo wouldn't budge, deal fell through. So, the deal to aquire Bishop fell through over 19 spots in the draft! Wow. Sure looks ugly now with the season Bishop is having!

http://oilonwhyte.com/2013/11/27/edmonton-oilers-lost-ben-bishop/

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  18:27:14  Reply with Quote
Tambo couldn't budge on that pick because he knew MacT needed it to swing the deal for Perron
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  19:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a huge argument last year over the lack of goalie depth in Edmonton where I suggested that Bishop might be right for there needs. I went on to statehe might be better than Dubnyk or at the very least give him a run for the starting position. Finding out how close it was makes it easier to understand why Tambelinni was let go. Epic fail.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as I recall, they were similarly close on acquiring Schneider from VAN on draft day, but could not cough up that one extra piece that VAN required. Schneider to NJ instead...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  21:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

as I recall, they were similarly close on acquiring Schneider from VAN on draft day, but could not cough up that one extra piece that VAN required. Schneider to NJ instead...

I remember this too , though being an inter-divisional trade, that asking price was just too high from the reports I recall reading. The Canucks were looking for, if i'm not mistaken, the Oilers 7th overall, a 2nd round pick AND a young prospect. The Oilers passing on this is far more understandable than the Bishop deal!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8670
( )

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  07:39:10  Reply with Quote
Actually I heard reports that the Oilers did offer more than NJ, but Vancouver didn't want to ship him to a team in their div.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  08:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine where the Oiler would be if the had a goalie with his record this year. Boggles the mind.

Bishop
G/19 W/14 L/3 OT/1 GA/38 SA/550 SV/512 SV%.931 GAA/2.08 SO/2

Dubnyk
G/19 W/6 L/11 OT/1 GA/56 SA/513 SV/457 SV%.891 GAA/3.32 SO/1

Same amount of games played, similar quality of defense in front of him, with shots versus at a lower rate, totally different SV% and GAA. All this with Dubnyks improved play as of late, because earlier in the year the stat difference was more staggering.

I'd say the right goalie would have ahd the Oilers midpack in the west or at least spitting distance to the top 8.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2383
( )

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:40:27  Reply with Quote
If memory serves me correctly....I stated last season that the oilers should make a move for Bishop and some people jumped all over me !!!!.....you remember who you are
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Srry , wasn`t logged in...2383 was me
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  09:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i remember Correctly the Flyers Oiler and Lightning all made a pitch for Bishop Ottawa liked Tampa`s the best,,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  13:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another reason to dislike management in Edmonton. Why of all the teams to trade him to does Ottawa pick a soon to be division rival? Because Edmonton's proposal was not at or close to value. Bishop was among league leaders in stats last year and continues to be among them this year, yet Edmonton with there wealth of prospects couldn't muster a player of Conacher's (surprise calder contender, 5-8 180 pounds) stature to lure Bishop away. Again, epic fail! Conacher was of ok return to Ottawa, but Edmonton has a wealth of players available of at least his value.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  13:29:36  Reply with Quote
At the time of Bishop talks last year Dubnyk was pretty much equal to or better than Bishop as far as proven goes. So i'm sure Tambo (Edm's previous GM) was thinking why give up something to acquire something I already have. (Which is actually kind of weird considering he always drafted the forward) If only Tambo knew that the Goaltender is the most important position or even Dubnyk would not quite pan out as hoped. Perhaps then the Oilers would have Bishop and maybe not Perron. Perhaps that would mean the Oilers would also still have Tambo and although i'm sure the fans are glad he is gone I bet they miss his lucky tie!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  14:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to remember that the Oilers did try to get Bishop and that their offer fell through due to Tamellini's reluctance to part with their own 2nd rounder (37th overall) and would only offer the 2nd round pick they owned from the Ducks (56th overall). This was part of their offer, along with Ryan Jones and a 3rd rounder.

It's easy to look at Conacher today and say the Sens might have been better off with the Oilers offer over Conacher (and a fourth i believe?), however, at the time, many thought the Sens were doing just fine, aquiring a young, scoring, Calder candidate. Hindsight just sucks sometimes!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  16:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See I remember things a little more clearer due to the fact I was a Bishop, but firstly a Senators fan. At the time of the trade I had argued that although GAA and Sv% were similar, and by similar I mean advantage Bishop, especially in the win column, Bishop was a younger goalie which could push Dubnyk for the starting position. The argument against was it would create a goalie controversy. I suggested any result which created strength, rather than weakness in goalie depth would be worth it.

Also, comparing Jones and a 3rd to Conacher and a 4th? Jones may have the size advantage, but Conacher was way way outplaying Jones last year. I think had Edmonton put a player in demand in the trade scenario, Bishop would be the number 1, Edmonton would be in Playoff contention this year, Edmonton might have been in contention last year and Edmonton would not have been scrambling to find a suitable #1 in Bryzgalov when the wheels fell of for Dubnyk to start the season this year.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  16:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua.....i agree, and that's where i was defending Ottawa's decision to go with TBay, that Conacher at the time was a very enticing player. From all i've heard, he's got a much more rounded game now than just the pure offense he showed early last year, however i have to give Yzerman props for selling high on a guy he may have seen as just having a hot offensive start while getting a lot of time on either Stamkos' line or Lecavalier's.

I didn't look it up but heard that Jones' contract is not "friendly" for what he brings but all things i read said the sticking point in trading Bishop to the Oilers was Tambellini's reluctance to part with that 37th overall pick.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  14:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a GM, how can u not gamble on a player like Bishop ?? with his size and the way he played in Ott....who is mobile for a giant of a goalie ??....

This kind of a deal could make u look like genius of a GM.

If Bishop failed...oh well, you tried and no - one could blame you for that....

Only point I was making last season is that a player like Bishop could possibly come in and be the pillar of a franchise.......what have you to lose when u are losing almost every night anyway.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page