Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Curious Case of Ryan Miller Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
378 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The St Louis Blues, today have resigned Brian Elliot. then released a statement saying that the tandem next year will be Elliot and Allen.

Where does Miller go?
if i remeber correctly he said he wanted to play in the west?
Also wants to go to a contender.
so lets see here who in the west that are contenders need a # 1 Goalie to be honest Minnisota comes to mind!
wouldn't mind seeing him go to The avalance either although with varlomov signed long term seems unlikely.
Vancouver?
Dallas?

I dont see him going to a team that is rebuilding but in the west Calgary?
Edmonton?

or does he decide to go back east to a contender that needs a #1 there
Teams that come to mind include
Philly.
NYI
heck even the pens if they ship out the wilting flower. (even though this year wasn't his fault)

what are your thought?

Edited by - mandree888 on 05/19/2014 10:30:53

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5787 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  11:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO WAY he ends up in Vancouver! Oh wait.....I said that same thing about Torts last Aug! Yikes! The Canucks are not contenders nor will they likely be for at least 3-4 years therefore I doubt Miller would be interested, nor shiuld the Canucks be at the price he'd command (though I really don't think he's gonna get as much as he'd originally hoped). The Canucks could look to a vet to help Lack short term but not one who'll be over 2-3 M, but they may wait and see what Markstrom has to offer and go wih the two young guys.

Miller I could see in Minny as Kuemper may need more time and would benefit from Millers guidance. I certainly don't see Bryzgalov shining in a mentoring role and is likely done there.
Otherwise, if he def wants out west he'd better be prepared to be a backup if he's adamant about a contender! Really not a whole lot of opennings unless he thinks a team like Van, Cal or Edm is only a year and a few good aquisitions away? Me, I dont see it.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3581 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  14:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

NO WAY he ends up in Vancouver! Oh wait.....I said that same thing about Torts last Aug! Yikes! The Canucks are not contenders nor will they likely be for at least 3-4 years therefore I doubt Miller would be interested, nor shiuld the Canucks be at the price he'd command (though I really don't think he's gonna get as much as he'd originally hoped). The Canucks could look to a vet to help Lack short term but not one who'll be over 2-3 M, but they may wait and see what Markstrom has to offer and go wih the two young guys.



I would think that Linden/new GM will give Miller a sniff. Depending on the contract he wants (both price and length), he might be a good fit in VAN. I don't think he'll get as much as he would have wanted this time a year ago... hard to say what the market will bear until he starts looking.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
914 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  18:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprised to hear the Blues have decided to move on. Miller was a huge disappointment for them both in the regular season and playoffs.

As for where he'll end up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota take a run at him. Pittsburgh has been brought up in a few articles I read, but not sure i see that happening. Washington could be an option. I've heard both Dallas and Detroit's name in the mix. I don't think Dallas makes much sense, to me Miller isn't an upgrade over Lehtonen. Not sure if there is a fit in Detroit either with Jimmy Howard already between the pipes.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
Rookie



Canada
207 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  09:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all the insiders say that his preference is to be in California because his wife is an actress. with that in mind his best fit could be in Anaheim on a 2 - 3 yr deal (though he'll probably get 5 yrs). Jonas Hiller is a UFA, and with the way he was used in the playoffs this year its a good bet he's on his way out. Miller could slide in and be the no. 1, which should help keep the Ducks as a contender in the West. it'd also allow them to keep young prospect Gibson in the minors for a few years of seasoning (he's only 20).
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3581 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  11:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

all the insiders say that his preference is to be in California because his wife is an actress. with that in mind his best fit could be in Anaheim on a 2 - 3 yr deal (though he'll probably get 5 yrs). Jonas Hiller is a UFA, and with the way he was used in the playoffs this year its a good bet he's on his way out. Miller could slide in and be the no. 1, which should help keep the Ducks as a contender in the West. it'd also allow them to keep young prospect Gibson in the minors for a few years of seasoning (he's only 20).



The way Gibson has played, I don't think its ANA's intention to keep him in the minors for very long. I would not be surprised to see him with the big club next season. Whether as an unproven starter, or a reliable backup to a proven starter.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
Rookie



Canada
207 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  11:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

The way Gibson has played, I don't think its ANA's intention to keep him in the minors for very long. I would not be surprised to see him with the big club next season. Whether as an unproven starter, or a reliable backup to a proven starter.



hmmmm, perhaps. but 7 games in the NHL is a very small sample size. if Anaheim still considers themselves a solid contender in the West, then i think they'd want a bona fide upgrade in goal (assuming they're done with Hiller). that'd be a lot of pressure to put on a goalie with as little NHL experience as he has, and one who's as young as he is. IMO it'd be better for his development if he spent at least one year in the AHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5787 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  14:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillier is likely done in Ana and I'd be shocked to see them chase Miller. Andersen proved he's capable and if nothing else a tandem of Andersen and Gibson would be real nice. Gibson is prob their long term goalie so if he does well, they could look to move Andersen at the deadline next year to grab a rental or something else for another cup run.

I agree with nuxfan, I think Gibson's minor league days are all but over!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3581 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  15:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper
hmmmm, perhaps. but 7 games in the NHL is a very small sample size. if Anaheim still considers themselves a solid contender in the West, then i think they'd want a bona fide upgrade in goal (assuming they're done with Hiller). that'd be a lot of pressure to put on a goalie with as little NHL experience as he has, and one who's as young as he is. IMO it'd be better for his development if he spent at least one year in the AHL.



STL just showed that getting a "bona fide upgrade" in goal does not always get you an actual upgrade, or an actual chance at winning. Based on actual performance (as opposed to history or pedigree), Miller has done nothing in the last 12 months to make me think that he would be an proven upgrade to either Gibson or Andersen going forward.

I agree with Alex, I would not be surprised to see ANA start the season with Gibson and Andersen as a tandem, and see which one grabs the bull by the horns. The only exception to that would be if they could get Miller on a 1 or 2 year deal, in which case they might go for that.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1037 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  17:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SJ for Miller
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5787 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  21:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

SJ for Miller



Really? Niemi had a pretty good year. I know they blew a 3-0 lead to LA, but that was a team collapse, not a Niemi problem! I don't see Miller being much of an upgrade. I can only imagine how pissed Niemi would be if he were relegated to the bench for a year or two???
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
378 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  04:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

SJ for Miller



Really? Niemi had a pretty good year. I know they blew a 3-0 lead to LA, but that was a team collapse, not a Niemi problem! I don't see Miller being much of an upgrade. I can only imagine how pissed Niemi would be if he were relegated to the bench for a year or two???


Yeah i would think he would request a trade. Niemi is a proven starter who has won a cup with the blackhawks. still has years of good hockey ahead of him as well. why then would you acquire a goalie who has won nothing (while still elite) with his best years behind him?


i think he goes to the wild! They need a Number 1 they can rely on.
harding although a fantastic goalie can go down with MS symptoms at any time.
Keumper is a good young goalie that needs seasoning
Bryz might just be millers back up while keupmer goes to the minors and improves his game.

i feel bad that Harding pretty much gets the boot all because of his medical condition. and i have no idea what team would be willing to take on a goalie that they can't count on regularly. (for those who don't know - Josh Harding has Multiple Sclerosis.)

or maybee they keep harding and let Bryz walk.

either way if Miller goes wild then i think keumper goes to the minors while one of the other two back him up.


Edited by - mandree888 on 05/26/2014 05:54:56
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5787 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  07:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Harding's is a real sad case. He was talked about for the Olympics and some were pissed he wasn't selected, however, sure enough, his symptoms kicked in just prior and he was out for quite some time. Too bad really as he was having a heckuva year!

I think that if Miller is aquired, it's him as #1 and Kuemper as the backup. I think they saw enough out of him this past year and in the playoffs to let him be the #2. He's not a kid (24yrs old) and his time is now or never you'd think. Bryz was a stop gap at best i'd imagine?

Getting back to Harding however, he's got a year left on a very affordable contract/cap hit (2.1 salary at 1.9 cap hit). It is possible that if they feel Kuemper is good enough to be "the guy" moving forward that they don't bother with the money it may cost to get Miller (though his asking price has surely taken a hit). They could roll with Harding / Kuemper sharing the net and hoping Kuemper becomes their next long term keeper?
Go to Top of Page

Cyclonis
Top Prospect



Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  10:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anaheim: This is not that far fetched. Hiller WAS their number 1 correct and he didn't start in the playoffs, so he is probably done, losing to the Kings may have shown the Ducks that they need a veteran presence in net. Especially if they are trying to take the pressure off a young goalie as he transitions into their number 1.

The Wild with Harding having health problems also seems in the same boat as Ana and could use a Vet to help their young guys move up to the next level.

I would not be surprised to see Miller head to the Flyers either. Mason and Emery don't seem to be able to hold down that starter spot. One blog reported the Flames may be "kicking the Tires on Miller" (Mark Easson - May 25, 2014) so maybe help in net for Calgary?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1037 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  14:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, Niemi can be moved if Miller went to SJ. Anything can be done. The only thing I seen Niemi prove was that he can lose 4 playoff games in a row. A true blue chipper would have stolen 1 out of 4.......OK, what's SJ supposed to do after what happened to them? Keep everything status quoa ?.... One question for you, Who do you think is better, Neimi or Miller ? Just an honest answer
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1037 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  14:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention , Why not the Canucks ?...Didn't they trade away their 2 elite goalies ?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5787 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, anything can be done. Just like the Habs could move Price and sign Miller, right? If the only thing youve seen Niemi do is lose 4 straight games then you haven't been watching hockey very long as he backstopped Chicago to a Stanley Cup not that long ago. And FTR, that's 1 more SC ring than Miller has on his hand. Should SJ keep the status quo? Dunno, there's been talk of moving one or more of their core, Boyle likely departing, etc. Niemi could move too, sure, it's a possibility, but to move him to sign Miller who's best days appear to be behind him? If SJ feels Miller has one or two solid years left it's possible they go after him while Thornton, Marleau, etc are still performing but I just can't see them bailing on him at this time. Just my opinion and what I would (wouldn't) do. As for who I think is better? Prob Miller, but not by much AND that's debatable. However the difference is so minute that I don't think the difference is enough to move a guy as young as Niemi for a guy whis likely only got a couple solid years ahead?
As for the Canucks, read my post from early in this thread to find my opinion on that.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3581 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Alex, Niemi can be moved if Miller went to SJ. Anything can be done. The only thing I seen Niemi prove was that he can lose 4 playoff games in a row. A true blue chipper would have stolen 1 out of 4.......OK, what's SJ supposed to do after what happened to them? Keep everything status quoa ?.... One question for you, Who do you think is better, Neimi or Miller ? Just an honest answer



erm, Miller also lost 4 straight games, STL was up 2-0 against CHI before losing in 6... so I guess we saw both goalies prove the exact same thing. Or are you saying that Miller is also not a blue chipper?


Edited by - nuxfan on 05/30/2014 14:47:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page