Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Early McDavid Sweepstakes Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  11:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

You guys are just piling on now!

Of course I want the kid to play on my team. Every fans wants him to play on their team. Edmonton would be helped with a kid like this. However, Ripley makes a very very good point. The issue with this team is the lack of meat in the middle of the line up. The superstars type players are doing their jobs.

If Edmonton did have the #1 pick I would be happy to see them move this once in a generation talent for a true, elite, #1 defensemen plus a few spare parts. That would be more beneficial to this team than another #1 pick.

i'm very interested to see if Beans would still be happy if Edmonton traded the pick?

For a legit #1 defensemen plus other pieces, absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to happen but if there was an announcement of the Oilers trading McDavid in a deal that involved Weber, Dougty, Karlsson, Subban, et al, I would be more than happy with that.

This team, even with a mature McDavid, is still at least 2 defensemen and an legit starting goalie from even making the playoffs. To be a contender, they likely need 4 defensemen and a few forward.

Haters are going to hate and I can't change that. But the Oilers did wi the lottery with an 11% chance. As once notable local sportscaster said, 'For the fans of the oilers, there is nothing they deserve more than getting McDavid. But there isn't an ownership group or management group in the NHL that deserve this pick less than Daryl Katz and Kevin Lowe."

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  14:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey beans I was thinking what bout, drafting Mcdavid then turning around and tradeing say one of the other young stars plus the first pick they aquired for Perron, for another top 5 pick and try and gran Noah Hanifin? Personally watching Hanfin live at 2 world juniors games he looks to me every bit the defenseman Eckblad was at the same stage of his career,, jut a thought

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  14:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if I see the other players becoming available even for Mcdavid/Eichel, but Dustin Byfuglien and Ondrej Pavelec might be more likely. Jets fans gonna hate me for saying this but that might be worth while for a Mcdavid like talent. New young blood like that would be a boon to a market like the Jets and might be better for the league overall.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  17:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pasty, interesting proposal, but I see a more likely one being draft McDavid, and trade another of their young guys such as RNH for a dman who's already a little more established than Hanifin (plus more possibly?). How about M. Dumba or J. Brodin in Minny? Or perhaps J. Carlson (Wsh) or C. Fowler (Ana), though not sure Anaheim needs RNH really? Dare I say Morgan Rielly? How about Dan Girardi (NYR) or M.E. Vlasic in SJ? Would Vlasic, Niemi and a pick/prospect for RNH and Scrivens work?

Personally I'd love to see RNH in Vancouver but it's likely not gonna happen. Our depth on the back end may not be good enough to give up a guy like Tanev in a deal. I know many may shake their head at Tanev as part of an offer, but trust me, if you're one of those people, you've not see nearly enough of this guy to realize his value! Wonder if Tanev and Lack plus a 2nd rounder would be close?

Joshua.......Are you suggesting McDavid for Byfuglien and Pavelec? If so, it's gonna take A LOT more than THAT to get their hands on McDavid!!! We won't know till we see what he does at the NHL level but this kid is projected to be more Sidney Crosby than he is Nail Yakupov!

Beans.....in your "4 defensemen....." are you including Nurse? Personally I think he's gonna be a top 4 guy for sure, just might be another couple years away. Klefbom looked good the 2nd half of the season and Shultz and Nikitin are ok, no? 2 good ones and a goalie as you said should get them into the playoffs for sure. Personally, I think you add McDavid and a goalie, and there's a good shot they're in next year!

I do agree with the local sportscaster you quoted and it's been rehashed over and over about whether or not they were deserving? It brings me to Joshua's point about teams like Buf and Ari tanking for a better pick? Are they any less deserving than the mismanaged group of talent that the Oilers have been over the past few years? Tough call. Tanking looks bad obviously, but look at what Toronto did down the stretch and I can't say I'd have been happy if they took home the prize (though it may have been good for the NHL and hockey in general to have him in that market?). They didn't trade away players and make an intentional tanking obvious, but they sure as hell were doing something wrong to have as bad a record as they did down the stretch! D. Strome will be a pretty nice consolation prize.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  11:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer a few question, if McDavid is the best talent in the past 20 years then it's gonna take a lot to move him. More than anyone has suggested to this point. Way more.

Secondly, the Oilers were 67 points out of a wild card spot. A goalie and McDavid will NOT get them to the playoffs. They need a goalie, two defensemen, McDavid, and consistent play from their top guys to even have sniff at the playoffs.

As far as the Oilers defense, yes I agree Nurse is trending to be a top 4 guys. So is Kelfbom. But that is all they have as what I would consider a solid defensemen and I don' think either of those guys are top pairing players. I don't think Schultz will turn out how some people do and Maricin I think it too soft. They need a #1, #2, a #5 a #6 and depth. Plus, they need another winger for their top 9 and depth at centre.

They still have miles and miles to do. I predict fighting for the playoffs in 17 unless there is some kind of miracle trade that happens. I don't think they make the playoffs next year. But I also don't think anyone will be complaining about their mid-round 1st round pick next year either.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  15:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Secondly, the Oilers were 67 points out of a wild card spot.

WHOAH!!! They were WAY back then! Lol, j/k, I know it was just a typo, and I have to admit, without looking, I had no idea they were THAT far back!!!

I still think Nurse can be a top 2 guy, only maybe more along the lines of a Dan Hamhuis than say Shea Weber?

Beans, what do you think of the idea of dealing a guy like the Nuge for a guy or two? Any comments on the guys I mentioned or what sort of specific return would you like to see that would be considered reasonable?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  13:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad on the typo. The point is still relevant when you consider how far back the Oilers were from even a wild card fight.

Based on the recent lottery luck, I think they don't really move anyone unless it's for a top goalie or top pairing defensemen that is under the age of 28. Otherwise they will be in the same position in 3-4 years. I think that moving anyone down the middle unless it's for comparable skill with more size is not a good move. Reasonably speaking, the Oilers could have a top-5 in the league core of centres in the near future with McDavid, RNH, and Dreisidel.

The best move the Oilers could do this year is offer sheet Dougie Hamilton. That will either give them a guy who is a legit and will be an elite defensemen or it forces Boston to move Chara if they match the offer sheet. Chara would be great a grooming the young Oiler defensemen and still has a few good years left in the tank.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page