Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canadian Teams Needs heading into Xmas Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Figured I throw out a topic that has been popular in the past. I'm gonna try and keep this Canadian themed.

We all know Harmonic is on the trade block and where his preferred destination is a Western Canadian team. Funny, but the destination that seems perfect for him personally, in Winnipeg, doesn't need him and doesn't owe any favors to the NYI who are clearly overvaluing. From an outsider looking in I'd say outside of depth players Winnipeg is strongly built for the future and good enough to repeat at making the playoffs. The only major concerns are resigning the big Buff, Trouba and Ladd or finding a trade partner willing to trade at value for these guys. Clearly NYI think Harmonic is better value than either of these guys, which he is not, but his cap friendly contract might be the reason.

Ottawa is firing on all cylinders offensively and actually are having a hard time finding room for all there offensive talent. I know from my point of view Ottawa needs some defensive depth and possibly an upgrade for the bottom 6 forwards, with a few up and coming prospects to spare, if they can pull a trade. Wish they were qualified as one of the destinations for Harmonic, but to be honest I think Ottawa should target Calgary with all there defensive depth and high payroll on the backend without success this year.

Speaking of Calgary, the goaltending is not playing to last years level and the cardiac kids are playing like they are in recovery. Last years surprise playoff push hasn't translated into consistency, as most teams have got Calgary's number so far. Don't know what could help, except to solidify the goaltending as they have 3 goalies rotating play and no clear cut qualified #1 ATM, and a few on defense that haven't come close to repeating there career best numbers from last year. They could also use an injection of offense to the forward core to take the pressure off the young forwards, who are now on every other teams radar.

Toronto is rebuilding, so not really in need of major changes, but is having an unlikely goaltending controversy. The guy in net now (Reimer) is the guy they gave up on years ago, and the guy they brought in to replace him (Bernier) is struggling so bad he is playing in the minors. The greatest weakness is there goal differential, which is understandable when they trade away there top scoring player and have there #1 goalie struggle all the way to the minors. Is it time to shop for a goalie? Wonder if Talbot-Ference for Phaneuf-Bernier makes any sense here?

I haven't watch enough Vancouver games to really comment, but from the stats and the games I have watched, I am confused why Markstrom isn't the clear cut #1. My only guess is that Miller is going to be shopped at some point and they are hoping to up his value if his play improves. At this point, I think his days as a bonified #1 might be coming to an end. The goals against for the Canucks is the most concerning stat for this team, but surprisingly they are scoring above expectations and hanging in the playoff picture. One more goaltending issue to deal with and they might be able to hold off the rebuild one more year.

Edmonton! Bad luck again. Does the sun ever shine in Edmonton. I have to say the best surprise is how good Draisailt has been versus his rookie season and how good Nilsson has played in net. The goaltending is better than last year, the defense has been better than last year and the forwards (not counting McDavid) are playing at or above last years performance, but it still isn't good enough to climb out of the basement. Odds are McDavids return will help. Don't know if anything but a changing of the guard (Eberle, RNH, Yakopov) for some more defensive depth can right the ship here.

Montreal is not a one trick pony and Price is not the be all end all for the Canadians. Now the question is, is this team good enough to win the cup? Thats the only question left to ask, as they can score, they can defend and apparently it doesn't matter who's in net, they can win. I don't know of any changes they need to make, but if I was a GM here, I would be on the lookout for a clutch scorer, if they don't have to give up too much to get it.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 12/05/2015 15:06:05
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page