Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 playoffs 2016 - no Canadian teams Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2174 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  14:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I'm with Slozo. There's a better chance the Canucks finish dead last (and lose the lottery) than there is they make the playoffs!

Calgary will improve, maybe not enough for a date to the dance, but they won't be at the bottom. Arizona is young enough that they could very well finish below Vancouver. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see the Canucks finish above many more teams. Bottom 3 is pretty much a lock!

Its confusing for people to predict Vancouver to finish last. Do you know how much effort it would take for them to finish last. Its almost as hard as making the playoffs. Teams like Buffalo, NYI and Pheonix make it really hard for a team to secure #30. If they are actively trying to finish dead last, why sign Ericksson long term, not trade Miller or Markstrom or Edler or Sutter, why bring in Gudbranson? Teams that want to finish dead last don't generally load up. I am not saying this roster is playoff calibre as is, but they are not tooled for dead last.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 11/23/2016 14:18:59
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6054 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2016 :  11:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua....
I think you missed my point. THIS team, or at least ownership and management on ownerships orders, is NOT trying to finish last!!! It's hard to complain about your owner when it's his money that would be lost in bundles during a rebuild and not your own, but if I had the money, and ownership, the Canucks would be in year 3 of a rebuild by now, with or without the Sedins!

My whole point though, is that this team they've assembled, is still closer to the bottom 3 than it is a playoff spot! That's my opinion, and I'd be willing to wager on it, as I'm that confident!
Go to Top of Page

slozo

Canada
4766 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  08:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I'm with Slozo. There's a better chance the Canucks finish dead last (and lose the lottery) than there is they make the playoffs!

Calgary will improve, maybe not enough for a date to the dance, but they won't be at the bottom. Arizona is young enough that they could very well finish below Vancouver. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see the Canucks finish above many more teams. Bottom 3 is pretty much a lock!

Its confusing for people to predict Vancouver to finish last. Do you know how much effort it would take for them to finish last. Its almost as hard as making the playoffs. Teams like Buffalo, NYI and Pheonix make it really hard for a team to secure #30. If they are actively trying to finish dead last, why sign Ericksson long term, not trade Miller or Markstrom or Edler or Sutter, why bring in Gudbranson? Teams that want to finish dead last don't generally load up. I am not saying this roster is playoff calibre as is, but they are not tooled for dead last.

No one is guaranteeing Vancouver finishes last . . . like you said, it often takes a bit of luck to actually finish last. You probably need a key injury or two, some very soft goalie play, and you need other teams to not be quite as bad. Toronto got very lucky last year for instance, as there were no other true tanking teams, and teams like Arizona played well enough to finish ahead.

But that being said, they seem destined for a bottom 3 finish, despite their initial hot start. And they are a goalie injury (or a Sedin injury) away from being front-runners for bottom of the pile.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page