Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 playoffs 2016 - no Canadian teams Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  14:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I'm with Slozo. There's a better chance the Canucks finish dead last (and lose the lottery) than there is they make the playoffs!

Calgary will improve, maybe not enough for a date to the dance, but they won't be at the bottom. Arizona is young enough that they could very well finish below Vancouver. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see the Canucks finish above many more teams. Bottom 3 is pretty much a lock!

Its confusing for people to predict Vancouver to finish last. Do you know how much effort it would take for them to finish last. Its almost as hard as making the playoffs. Teams like Buffalo, NYI and Pheonix make it really hard for a team to secure #30. If they are actively trying to finish dead last, why sign Ericksson long term, not trade Miller or Markstrom or Edler or Sutter, why bring in Gudbranson? Teams that want to finish dead last don't generally load up. I am not saying this roster is playoff calibre as is, but they are not tooled for dead last.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 11/23/2016 14:18:59
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2016 :  11:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua....
I think you missed my point. THIS team, or at least ownership and management on ownerships orders, is NOT trying to finish last!!! It's hard to complain about your owner when it's his money that would be lost in bundles during a rebuild and not your own, but if I had the money, and ownership, the Canucks would be in year 3 of a rebuild by now, with or without the Sedins!

My whole point though, is that this team they've assembled, is still closer to the bottom 3 than it is a playoff spot! That's my opinion, and I'd be willing to wager on it, as I'm that confident!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  08:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I'm with Slozo. There's a better chance the Canucks finish dead last (and lose the lottery) than there is they make the playoffs!

Calgary will improve, maybe not enough for a date to the dance, but they won't be at the bottom. Arizona is young enough that they could very well finish below Vancouver. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see the Canucks finish above many more teams. Bottom 3 is pretty much a lock!

Its confusing for people to predict Vancouver to finish last. Do you know how much effort it would take for them to finish last. Its almost as hard as making the playoffs. Teams like Buffalo, NYI and Pheonix make it really hard for a team to secure #30. If they are actively trying to finish dead last, why sign Ericksson long term, not trade Miller or Markstrom or Edler or Sutter, why bring in Gudbranson? Teams that want to finish dead last don't generally load up. I am not saying this roster is playoff calibre as is, but they are not tooled for dead last.

No one is guaranteeing Vancouver finishes last . . . like you said, it often takes a bit of luck to actually finish last. You probably need a key injury or two, some very soft goalie play, and you need other teams to not be quite as bad. Toronto got very lucky last year for instance, as there were no other true tanking teams, and teams like Arizona played well enough to finish ahead.

But that being said, they seem destined for a bottom 3 finish, despite their initial hot start. And they are a goalie injury (or a Sedin injury) away from being front-runners for bottom of the pile.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  14:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty interesting how things turned out! The Flames appear to be doing worse than anyone expected, the Leafs and Oilers are doing better than anyone expected, and the Canucks are a very comfortable 24 points out of last place and only 1 point out of a playoffs spot!

If the playoffs started today there would be 4 Canadian teams: Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary. That said, Toronto and Vancouver are both 1 pt out of a wild card spot. Even Winnipeg is only 3 pts out of the wild card although that would likely be at the expense of Calgary and/or Vancouver.

It's not unreasonable to think there could be 5-6 Canadian team in the playoffs this year. I like Montreal, Ottawa, and Edmonton's chances a lot. Everyone keeps waiting for Edmonton to fail but they keep getting better. That's 4. I only see one of Calgary, Winnipeg, or Vancouver make it. Maybe. St. Louis is unlike to fall from the wild card and LA is in the mix for the other in the West. The East is similar as the 4th place team in the metropolitan division is going to hold down one of the wild card spots. That leaves one open for Toronto to steal from the likes of Philly and Florida with the Islanders not too far behind.

I like 4 Canadian teams to make it. Maybe 5. Unlike 6 or more. But the quality of teams in Canada is improving!

Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  18:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And do you like any of those 4 or maybe 5 to be in the Stanley Cup final?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  20:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

And do you like any of those 4 or maybe 5 to be in the Stanley Cup final?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Don't move the goalposts.

The intitial topic was on who will make the playoffs, period.
Start a new topic on who will be the next Canadian team to win the cup if you want - I think that topic will be more in focus after these coming playoffs, when we might see some exciting young upstart teams like Edmonton and maybe Toronto and Ottawa compete, while the the everpresent Montreal will be lurking as well.

I dream about a Toronto-Edmonton final in the future, myself. You can take a wild guess on who I would be cheering for there . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  21:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say NO ONE gave the leafs a chance of a playoff birth this season lol....Leafs are actually looking good . 1 point back of Boston with 5 games in hand ( 10 floater points ) , 1 point back of Philly with 3 games in hand ( 6 floater points ) , Florida is behind them with 3 less points and 3 MORE games played....not too shabby for a team which over 90 % of the hockey world had slated for a lottery pick .....Some of you had Calgary at number 2 behind Montreal to get in the playoffs. Sure theyre in 8th today but just wait another week . The Flames in the overall standings are 2 points behind the leafs with 5 more games played than Toronto....not very impressive. To be honest , when i picked the leafs to make the post season this year, i thought they were going to sign a couple good Defenseman going into this season through UFA ( outside of Zatislev ) .......its absolutely amazing theyre in the position they are with their Defensive core . When the leafs do fix their D unit , look out.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  13:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will admit, I am shocked no Canadian team is currently riding the bottom of the standings.

Toronto is better than I expected ( The kids and especially Kadri is better than expected as a shutdown guy no less)

Calgary is better than expected (Johnson way better than expected)

Winnipeg is worse than I expected and I haven't a clue why except to say there is still a goaltending issue. There is still a half season to be played and this team needs to figure out there goaltending issue or they are gonna be the Canadian supertanker of the year.

Montreal is currently in a better position than I expected (Weber, Radolov much better than expected)

Vancouver is exactly where I expected them to be, fighting for a playoff position, but they haven't made the trade I expect them to make to buy there way out of a rebuild. It's coming.

As for Ottawa, I won't get into where they are at now, except to say that I am very happy. Just wish the team would start shooting more.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/30/2017 13:58:43
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  14:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Joshua i dont know what Ottawa is doing but ill tell ya one thing. I`ve watched about 90 % of the leaf games this season and of those games Ottawa was of of the toughest opponents ive seen them play. The leafs could also have at least 6-8 more points then what theyve got , no problem. This IS NOT the same ole leafs.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  14:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defense .....if only they get some Defense...lol
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  10:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to include Edmonton in my post. Not shocked that they aren't at the bottom of the league, but shocked that they are fighting for division lead. There goal differential says it all. Lost there best goal scoring player from yesteryear Hall, and gave away another who refused to learn a 2way game in Yaks, to pick up a 2nd pairing defenseman and another maligned defenseman who is one of the best shot blockers in the league, now they have turned there goal differential way way around. As of now they are *60 goals* in differential better than last year, with mostly the same lineup. Probably the best hockey story of the year.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/31/2017 10:18:19
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  10:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Vancouver is also 2 points from last place, while having played 2 more games than both teams 2 points below them.

[drops mike]

Destined for bottom 3 overall this year. My bet is on them for last place.

[picks up Slozo's dropped mike]
Hope you didn't mortgage the house on that bet Slozo? [drops mike]

BTW....just ribbing ya. I was figuring/wishing a bottom 3 finish, though not quite as bad as dead last!

Edited by - Alex116 on 02/01/2017 10:33:54
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  11:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here is an update with just a hair over 1/4 of the season remaining:

East
- Montreal is holding down top spot in the Atlantic division.
- Ottawa is in second in the Atlantic, down only 2 points but with a game in hand.
- Toronto is 1 point out of the wild card spot and a point up on NYI - with a game in hand over Boston who is ahead by 1 point.

West
- Edmonton is in second spot in the Pacific division and 10 points up on its nearest rival
- Calgary is loosely hanging on to a wild card spot
- Winnipeg is only a point out of a wild card spot but has played a few more games.
- Vancouver has made hay since their brutal start but still sits 4 points out and game or two back of the wild card spot

So here is my prediction (yes, this is easier than predicting it last April, as many of you guys did - I'll still screw it up I'm sure )

East
Toronto will fall short. Canadiens and Senators are in.

West
Canucks and Jets are out. Flames will battle the Kings down the stretch and pull off an 11th hour upset to sneak in the last spot (yes, I'm definitely biased)

So I'm seeing 3 Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  15:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough to say Leigh...
Habs on top with 70 pts.....leafs 9th in the east with 65 pts... ott has major injuries
Anything can happen here
if , and its all ifs...Montreal continues its losing ways, 4 losses in its next 5 and its possible Ott , Leafs , Bos , Fla , NYI are all there tied with them.
Calgary seems like theyre just hangin on................... i think the jets are just comin on.............Oilers are safe.........dont think the Canucks have enough .
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  09:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Tough to say Leigh...
Habs on top with 70 pts.....leafs 9th in the east with 65 pts... ott has major injuries
Anything can happen here
if , and its all ifs...Montreal continues its losing ways, 4 losses in its next 5 and its possible Ott , Leafs , Bos , Fla , NYI are all there tied with them.
Calgary seems like theyre just hangin on................... i think the jets are just comin on.............Oilers are safe.........dont think the Canucks have enough .

Yeah, good points Duke. Although the Habs picked up a big win last night with a new coach - they'll get some life out of that I think. Ottawa has a couple games in hand on the Habs so they're in a good spot mathematically, but I admit to not seeing too many Ottawa games.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  20:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

Tough to say Leigh...
Anything can happen here

Yeah, good points Duke. Although the Habs picked up a big win last night with a new coach - they'll get some life out of that I think. Ottawa has a couple games in hand on the Habs so they're in a good spot mathematically, but I admit to not seeing too many Ottawa games.

Take it from a fan who has watched a lot of hockey this year, Ottawa is probably playing the best team defense of the Canadian teams, which might be good for the next stretch, because 4 of our top 6 forwards are short or long termed injured. Its taking a hell of a team effort to keep winning when even our #1 goalie was missing for 30+ games and we had to rely on a 2nd year unheralded goalie with a losing record previously to play almost all of those games straight, with even our backup injured and/or struggling. Now that Andersons back, its possible we might overtake Montreal, with the games in hand we have.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  17:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canucks traded Burrows so they seem to have given up. That leaves Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary in a playoff spot. Winnipeg is losing ground so I'd count them out (are they going to make a move?)

Ottawa, Montreal and Edmonton will make it without issue. I like Toronto's trade today to pick up Boyle. This could be a difference maker for them. Calgary has been playing some good hockey so if they keep it up they'll make it. Curious to see if they'll see any trade action today.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  18:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes has a leaf fan i really , really like the Boyle trade . This is exactly the type of player the leafs NEED right now . The position he will be filling has been a weak spot for the leafs all season. Now DEFENSE !!!!!! I would like to see the leafs pick up a mobile DEFENSE first type D man .
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  20:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes has a leaf fan i really , really like the Boyle trade . This is exactly the type of player the leafs NEED right now . The position he will be filling has been a weak spot for the leafs all season. Now DEFENSE !!!!!! I would like to see the leafs pick up a mobile DEFENSE first type D man .

I don't see how Boyles is any better than Michalek, Greening or Laich, all of whom are already in the Leafs system and already garnering a salary. I would have thought they would have improved the defense first.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page