Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Bettman for a Day Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many opinions on the game today. Some are traditionalists that say they game has changed too much, others are new age that think the game still needs tweeking.

Regardless of where you fall into, everyone has an opinion.

If you were in Gary Bettman shoes and you could change anything about the game of hockey, what would it be??

Caution*** Be prepared to have your post ripped to shreads if it is not something well thought out.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Topic, I go first!

1) Put an RF ID (Radio Frequency Identification) in the puck to say difinitively if and when the puck goes over the goal line. I have said this before and got attacked because people say it would change the feel of the puck and the puck wouldn't act the same way. I say B*lls*it on that. If an RFID can be put into a playing card so that the poker announcers can know what cards people hold without using a camera, that is something that wouldn't do a thing to change the puck. That would do away with all the time wasted on video review and some pretty questionable calls.

2) Hybrid No Touch Icing - Through the normal icing rule, once the puck is in end of the rink (IE, goal line excended), if the defending player passes that line first, it's icing. If the offensive player passes that line first, it's no icing. That still keeps it as a "race" but it takes away from both players being in the same spot and possibly right against the boards.

3) Make the stupid delay of game penalty when a player shoots the puck over the glass in his end to the same thing as icing. No change to the team who did the infraction.

4) Make CBC split the early game on Saturday between Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. Not just Toronto.

5) Fire myself and name a committee of Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemiuex, Mark Messier, and Gordie Howe the "Board of Hockey Gurus" that will have ulitimate say in the way the game progresses forward.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  14:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All great ideas! I would, however, substitute Howe and Messier for Yzerman and Shanahan for the Guru crew. I know Shanny's still playing, but Gretz is still coaching, and both would likely have the livelihood of the sport as their main priorities, based on their past involvements.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  16:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definatly love some of this, but I have minor tweaks to some rules.

1). Referee ruling is a traditional part of the game. I think the RF ID would be great, but a refs initial ruling should still count first. So what if the coach really thinks it was in?? They can challenge the play, like in football. Each coach gets 1 challenge per game and can contest any goal (allowed, disallowed or a goal scored by the other team that the opposing coach doesn't think went in). I know it is badly worded but I think benefits would occur.

2 & 3). Great Idea. I have no changes.

4). I think CBC should divide games into regions. For example at 7 on a Saturday night Toronto region gets the Toronto game, Ottawa region gets the Ottawa game and Montreal region gets the Montreal game. For the people out west who want to watch the early game every week the teams rotate their games nationally. This would be the same for games out west (Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary regions get theor respective games.) If you want to watch a diffrent team then go to CNC.ca and live streamings of each game are available.

5). I don't think a all time greatest players list will help with the modern game. They had their time, the game has changed.. I think what the NHL has now is good, but I think they need to have more of a say.

*New Rule*
6). Get rid of the instigator rule. It helps noone.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 10/29/2007 16:31:38
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  18:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the problem with unequivocally being able to make an accurate ruling on a disputable goal?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  18:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretty much like all of your ideas Beans.

I'd change all equipment except skates back to the early 80's. Goalies and skaters.

I'd delete the last expansion teams.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  19:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your ideas, Beans, especially the hybrid no-touch icing

As commish, I would:

- Move three of the southern US team back to Canada. Don't care which ones. If 7 out of 10 people on the street can't explain icing, they lose their team. Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hamilton would all get teams.

- Grandfather in visors. It's time (although I was against this for the longest time, I'm coming around). If the NHLPA resists, do it anyway.

- This will be my most controversial change (especially considering I am more traditionalist that not, and may therefore lose that title)...I'd increase the size of the nets by 4 inches in width, and 2 in height. The exact amount of size change may require tweaking, but it is my starting point. This is not simply because I want to see more goals in the NHL. I can live with a 2-1 game if it is well played. However, having been around for almost four decades now, the changes in the goaltender's equipment has given an unfair advantage to them. What guys like Glenn Hall used to do with no mask and 100 lbs of wet equipment is now done in lightweight equipment that has been subjected to more technological advances than the space shuttle. I think a balance needs to be struck, and I would not want to make the equipment shabby or heavy again to create that balance. Therefore, the nets need to be made bigger at the pro level. Goalies will take some time to adjust, but they will have to or be gone.

Fire away!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll leave the bigger nets and 80's equipment alone for now. But I will come at that soon enough.

Although, one piece of old equipment I would like to see come back is wooden sticks (or even aluminum) as I am disgusted every time I see that guy wind up for a huge one timer and have the stick stap in his hands. I have seens guys (Stoll specifically) break sticks in their hands before a face off!

A piece of info I read recently, 17 players in the league still use wooden sticks and 13 teams have no players using wooden sticks. So, by my math, 17 teams have one player who still use wooden sticks.

I would like those 17 guys to be Oilers next year. I don't care if they go 0-82, I won't see that huge, game deciding shot go by the wayside because of a stick!!

My rant is done, I am going to bed.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  19:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, man. I so agree with the wooden sticks thing. Composite sticks are garbage. Have a good night's sleep.
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  19:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with your points bean and i wouldn't fire you fly4 since i've played goalie for a lot of time i've used my dad old pads and they weight a lot and i've used the new one's...cost me like 1200$ for a pair and there is a big difference between both. So changing the size of the goals would surely make a better show...since we can't really reduce more the goalie's equipement

i would also make the visor part of the equipement of EVERY player

i want an hockey team in quebec city the old montreal/quebec city rivalry...the game on new years eve's...so good souvenirs

also yes CBC should divide the games like leafsfan said( wow i agree with a leafs fan...no joking they also have good points and i can admit it 8-) ), im not sick of watching leafs games but i deffinitively prefers habs game or ottawa games.

wood stick power!!!!...sorry i prefer so much those :)

ill add this rules: well put it back....IF THERE'S A PLAYER IN THE GOALIE'S CIRCLE THE GOAL IS NOT GOOOOD

im waiting for comebacks.....

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care

Edited by - freddyboy on 10/29/2007 19:37:18
Go to Top of Page

Guest5675
( )

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  05:15:52  Reply with Quote
First---I like goals as much as the next guy, but you can't allow players to park themselves in the slot and get away with it. The Red Wings weekly hillight show did a feature on Holmstrom, showing how he gets in there and hangs out..while he was mic'ed up. Great for Tommy boy, but ridiculous for the game. Ron Hextall wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes with these rules.

Second-- The game and players policed themselves, on the ice. It was a beautiful thing. Lets bring it back, and get rid of Bettman.

Third---I agree with a team to Winterpeg, with some subtle changes to their new arena, but no to Copps and no to Le Colisee. Hamilton might get the Sabres soon enough if the Buffalo economy keeps going into the tank, and without a new building, the league would not dream of Quebec City---even with me as Commish. Let's keep our memories of Rendevous '87 at Colisee and leave it at that.
Atlanta and Nashville would be my choices for removal.

Fourth...Detroit to the East...lock it,

There---it's a better league already!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  06:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying bring teams back with no new arenas. I say if you build it, they will come.

While I'm at it, I'd give Moose Jaw an NHL franchise, too. They'd still draw more than Atlanta does.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  08:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas Beans.

This is what I would do.

I have an idea to solve the Tavares issue, and many other player problems in the future of the same nature.

Currently you need to be 18 as of September 15 to be eligible for that draft year.

New
1.) Draft any player at any age, I do not care if he is 10, 12, 15...you have your picks you decide when you draft a player and at what age.

2.) He would continue to play through the system, be drafted into the OHL etc.

3.) The player can play in the NHL as soon as he turns 18, the day of his birthday he could be playing his first NHL game.

note: Current waiver, UFA, and RFA status will still apply.

Therefore a player like Tavares would be eligible for next year's draft, and so would any hockey player in the world. He would continue to play for Oshawa until he is 18. At that time the draft team decides leave him where he is, or move him to the AHL, or even to the NHL, it is totaly up to them...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:07:07  Reply with Quote
I had an awful flashback of the "glow puck" that FOX used back in the day. For my brothers north of the border, you may not remember that mess. Regardless, the chip in the puck is actually a pretty good idea.

While I have to disagree with the person who suggested each coach get a "challenge", the use of technology would most help:

1) When the goalie nabs the puck in his glove, but the momentum of the shot takes his hand across the line. I think this happens more than we realize.

2) The "snowman" save where the goalie falls on his back in the crease and does a snow angel to bring the puck to his body (if it's loose) and then does the "butt scoot" out of the net so no cameras can see the puck over the line.

Potential Cons:

Where is the receiver? If the chip is in the puck, where is the receiver? They say GPS is accurate to a few feet. That obviously doesn't work. Do they have to "calibrate" a receiver each game by placing the puck just over the line?

They freeze the pucks. Nothing went wrong with the FOX pucks (aside from them actually being used), so I suppose this would work too. Just wondering.

It can't be tied to the red light. Those poor guys are useless now anyway. If the puck sails over the back of the net, or onto the net, the light can't go on. There would have to be some serious design intelligence.

Enhancements I didn't see listed:

1) Minor penalties are served as "majors". Back in the day, a 2 minute minor was served for 2 minutes (unlike Harry Neale's favorite saying "2 minutes or less"). If the team scores......the PP continues. I like this rule. Perhaps the combination of the hooking/holding crack-down, plus the fear of going two full minutes might lessen the slow play.

2) I'm a traditionalist at heart....but I love the new NHL. I think it's headed in the right direction. I don't care for shootouts still, but I actually enjoy the 4 on 4 OT. With the understanding that I fall in with the traditionalists, chew on this idea: NO ICING DURING A PENALTY KILL. I'll say no more....

I'm not sure you could implement BOTH of these rules in tandem, but one or the other would put more fear into a player about to hold his stick out and go for a ride.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty busy at work today, but I wanted to add something to someone said.

The rule of the player in the crease means no goal. I can agree with that, but I wanted to add something to it.

A goalie is only protected if he is in his crease. If he leaves the crease, he is fair game. He can get hit, whatever within the rules.

I hate that the goalie is the only protected player on the ice. I agree that the role of a goalie needs to have some protection, but that's the crease. If the goalie leaves his crease, they should be treated like any other player.

If you don't like the rule, the simple answer is that the goalie stays in their crease. Simple.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8228

Enhancements I didn't see listed:

1) Minor penalties are served as "majors". Back in the day, a 2 minute minor was served for 2 minutes (unlike Harry Neale's favorite saying "2 minutes or less"). If the team scores......the PP continues. I like this rule. Perhaps the combination of the hooking/holding crack-down, plus the fear of going two full minutes might lessen the slow play.

Did you know this rule originated because of the 50's Canadiens dynasty? They were so powerful, on a powerplay, they would rack up too many goals.

I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  12:03:33  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Did you know this rule originated because of the 50's Canadiens dynasty? They were so powerful, on a powerplay, they would rack up too many goals.

I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
[/quote]

Yep. Similar to the "Oilers Rule" of the 80's with respect to offsetting minors (Gretz, Andersen, Mess and Cofeey - ouch).

It seems that every team in the league now has at least one stacked PP unit they could put on the ice for this, especially with the increasing use of forwards on the point over the past 5 seasons or so. I can't say that any team has a unit that would rival the Habs of old though.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8023
( )

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  12:29:25  Reply with Quote
Rule changes I would do:

1. Get rid of that delay of game penalty if you shoot it over the boards in your own end.
2. Get rid of the instigator penalty.
3. I like the idea of one challenge per game. Just like football
4. Start letting the players play the game. I am sick of seeing penalties getting called when you hardly touch someone. it is a contact sport. Let the referees have a mind instead of calling it by the book. So boring to watch all these power plays.

Thats it. Thats all we need.

And too bad for Tavares. Thems the breaks.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  13:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I'd do if I were Bettman for a day:

1. Schedule Stuff (my apologies if this is not considered part of what you meant by the "game")

- through rescheduling, a shorter season or whatever, make the season end about a month earlier - if economically that is just suicide, at least try for a couple of weeks (anyway, I'd somehow show some awareness that hockey well into June is kind of silly)
- lower the 8 games against division rivals to 6 games - that's more than enough in my opinion
- put a little more effort into avoiding times where there are like 3 games in 2 weeks with the same teams
- put a little more effort into avoiding situations where teams go a few years without visiting another team's building
- in short, fire the people who have been doing the scheduling the last couple of years (4 or 5 Boston-Toronto games in about a month's time last year was maybe the peak of their silliness!), and, if busy with other matters, walk out on Yonge Street in Toronto, grab the first bum I can find, and take my chances on him with this job!

2. Go with Bean's suggestions with the wood sticks and, most importantly, with getting rid of the VERY STUPID automatic delay of game penalty rule. In fact, whoever thought of that rule should have to suit up for a 20 minute "no-rules" mini-game against all the suspended Flyers - and should have to set up shop behind the net the way Bergeron did the other night !)

3. Add a team to Quebec City for sure. Get rid of Nashville, and at least a few more places that clearly aren't really appropriate for a professional hockey team. Alternatively, publish a letter in the Globe & Mail which a three year old could understand, explaining how we can have an NHL with a city like Nashville in it, but not a city like Quebec City or Winnipeg. No offense to Nashville people who like hockey (I am sure there are some), but this three year old potato-eater don't get that! Okay, forty three - but I was smarter when I was three!

4. Go with Flyguys suggestion with the nets - but I'd make the changes much smaller (maybe half what Flyguy suggested) as it's not that big a problem - there is still more than enough goal scoring for me now (I personally prefer low scoring games though)

5. Get a haircut and go on a date with a really tall woman - or maybe a really short woman - I don't know, have to think that one through a bit more

Edited by - andyhack on 10/31/2007 13:42:59
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  14:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple things...
1). As much as I think you all want to see wooden sticks make a comeback it won't because it can't. Players get so much power into their shot nowadays there is no way they want to lose that.

2). If goalie nets were made bigger players would be scoring alot. The players need to ajust but for that first year goal scoring would increase and I think some goalies would really get frustrated. But I think that, despite all this, it is a very real possibility.

3). Where would the reciever for the GPS be?? The NHL could afford to have multiple recievers in every single rink. There is definatly no problem there.

4). I really don't think drafting a player at any age is fair. They are not mature enough yet to be drafted if they are 10-15 years of age. I don't think it would be right.

5). I like the rescheduling idea. 8 division games is really too much and I think it has to stop soon.

So lets the critiques begin......
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  21:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the goalie leaving the crease and being fair game idea, I've always thought that too, Beans. A guy brushes the goalie behind the net, he gets a penalty. Yet the next play, the goalie takes the guy out, and nothing is called. That never made sense to me.

I think they could use a women's hockey benchmark on how goalies can be "hit". In women's hockey, they allow body contact, but not body-checking, the difference being the severity of the hit and also the purpose. I think a skater should be allowed to "rub" the goalie out, but maybe not grease him (because he is a touch more vulnerable in the bulkier equipment). Like you said, he's safe in the crease, though.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  23:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot's of great ideas, most of them could be implemented in one way or an other to benefit the game. Just a few quick comments to add...

As far as the drafting issue goes, a person absolutly should not be drafted at any age. If a 12 year old kid was drafted by the Montreal Canadians he just got a giant red "X" painted on his back. Although he may be mature enough to handle the pressure and responsibility(highly unlikely though) alot of the other players he will be facing won't be. You would be putting this kid into a very dangerous situation. I think if 16 is old enough to join the military then 16 is old enough to play professional hockey if you are capable of it.

The schedules need some tweaking. The sens are on a stretch where they play 3 games in 18 days. Tough to keep any sort of momentum going with that sort of schedule.

If a goalie is in his crease he should be untouchable and as protected as an albino sasquatch. However the second he leaves that sanctuary to say play the puck behind the net he deserves to be treated like every other puck handling player on the ice. In other words they're now fair game for legal body checks.

We don't need to add Canadian teams, or europeon or American teams for that matter. The league should eliminate some of the teams. All of the southern teams come to mind but that's just personal prefrence. A 16 Team league would be perfect. Everyteam would be competitive and have a shot each and every year. And we wouldn't be left scratching our heads wondering how the hell Derian Hatcher is still playing. It would also make other professional and semi professional leagues more competitive and entertaining.

And finally

Pierre McGuire will never be allowed to enter a hockey rink let alone talk about hockey ever again.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  23:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Pierre McGuire will never be allowed to enter a hockey rink let alone talk about hockey ever again.

You lost me with this one. I know there are two camps...people who love Pierre McGuire, and people who hate him...not many in between. I'm the former. I think his slight touch of insanity, love for Canadian players and self-righteousness is a nice blend for a broadcaster. Not for a guy you'd invite over for dinner, but for a broadcaster, yeah.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  08:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much to say, so little time.

1) Drafting players at a younger age would work. It just doesn't happen here in North America. It work great for Soccer all over the world. It would also work in hockey. The thing is that drafting a 12 year old is a far bigger risk than drafting a 18 year old. So the teams would learn this quickly. Besides that, players like Crosby and Tavares come along rarely. It would be an exception to see a young person drafted very high.

2) Why couldn't wooden sticks come back?? Did we run out of wood?? Who cares what the players get, the game is for the fans. No fans, no NHL. So if the competition committee agrees that the vast number of fans hate the new sticks, they could easily change the rule. I'm not saying that the fans hate them and it will happen, but it could. Let's not lose sight of the fact that sometime around the time Gretzky was "sold" to the Kings, hockey shifted from being a sport to a business. That means $$ rules, and that means the fans and more importantly corporate sponsors.

3)Pierre McGuire would be the first person I would ban from Hockey as well. I hear what you are saying Fly, but the guy will say something about a specific player in a negative way and 2 minutes later, contradict his first comment. Plus, if you name is Sidney, you could score a goal on yourself and Pierre will still say, "You're a Monster Sid." McGuire is a moron, any way I look at it. But I would invite him for dinner, so I could beat the crap out of him.

4)If a team is going into Quebec City, then one should go into Egremont, Alberta as well. (Look it up!) Look, I love Canadian hockey in Canadian Cities as much as the next guy, but it failed once already in Winnipeg and Quebec City. What makes things different today? There still isn't the corporate sponsors in either city. And Hamilton, that might work. But not Winnipeg or Quebec City. A failed Canadian Team is far worse for the league and the game than no Canadian Team at all.

5)Bigger nets by a small amount, as I think Andy said, half of what Fly requested. Also, I would do this without telling a soul. I wonder how long it would take for people to notice and I would wonder if there would really be an impact if players/goalies didn't know. An expansion by an inch in each direction would be pretty hard to see unless a smaller net is right beside it. Or am I again sniffing glue.

6) I'd love to make the schedule a bit shorter, or take out preseason all together. Reason being, I hate rushing home from the golf course to watch my team play in the playoffs. That's not right. The PLayoffs should end at least 3 weeks earlier than it does today. But, $$$ talks, so I doubt that will or could happen.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are lots of great ideas on here. I won't go through them all for the sake of keeping it short.

Still, I have a couple of thoughts.

The no goal if you're in the crease rule should be slightly modified. If the goalie is intefered with (ie. a player is in the sliding path of a goalie going post to post) the goal shouldn't count. However, if your big toe is in the crease (see Dallas vs. Buffalo 1999) then it should still count.

Also, I like the idea of a goalie being fair game outside the crease with fly's caveat added in. No one wants to see a goalie get wallpapered and potentially badly injured.

The one thing I'd force the CBC to do (outside of splitting the early game) would be to keep the HNIC theme in perpetuity.

One last thought. I've heard some people complain that getting 1 point for making it to OT encourages teams to play for a tie and not the win. Perhaps insituting a 3 point win system would alleviate that desire.

3 pts - win
2 pts - OT/SO win
1 pt - make it to OT/SO
0 pts - loss (ovisouly)

I think this would encourage teams to play for the win. (And yes, I expect to hear from people that NHL (or whatever sport) players are always playing for the win - or at least they should be)

Anyhow, there's my 2 cents.

- The offical NHL rulebook is 232 pages - Just thought I'd share.

Edited by - spade632 on 11/02/2007 13:19:49
Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  13:41:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

3). Where would the reciever for the GPS be?? The NHL could afford to have multiple recievers in every single rink. There is definatly no problem there.

Love the idea Beans. Why haven't they done this already? Receiver is under the ice, in the goal posts (and crossbar) and in the nets (attached to the camera) so you can get a 3D triangulation. Similar to a department store's security tag but at a much higher resolution.

Though it gets kinda tricky to determine if the puck has crossed the line entirely. The system has to know the orientation (flat, on edge or anywhere in between) and motion (acceleration, speed and spin) of the puck as it crossed the line to know if and when all of the puck has crossed the line.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  00:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8372

quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Love the idea Beans. Why haven't they done this already? Receiver is under the ice, in the goal posts (and crossbar) and in the nets (attached to the camera) so you can get a 3D triangulation. Similar to a department store's security tag but at a much higher resolution.

Though it gets kinda tricky to determine if the puck has crossed the line entirely. The system has to know the orientation (flat, on edge or anywhere in between) and motion (acceleration, speed and spin) of the puck as it crossed the line to know if and when all of the puck has crossed the line.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is really necessary. In all your years of watching hockey, you guys, how many non-goals have been called goals, or vice-versa? I remember one in about 1992 when Paul Coffey shot the puck in the net and it bounced out so fast they never reviewed it (I think they had just implemented video the year before maybe). There was another one at the World Championships a few years ago when Anson Carter did a quick qrap-around, and it was called a goal when I'm not 100% sure it was (we won so I'm not complaining). The odd one where the puck is in the goalie's glove when he catches it and there is a question if his glove is across the line, but that maybe amounts to a few per year. I don't think you re-vamp the system for what is really a minor issue.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only a minor issue until it happens in a major game.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  07:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, those minor games could turn into big games. Last year alone, I missed only 4 Oiler games. In the 78 games I watched, at least a half dozen had questionable goals allowed or disallowed. Those "minor" games become quite "Major" if your fighting for a playoff spot.

And I'm not talking about those clear mistakes, I'm talking about the one's that are really hard to tell. Did the goalie glove go over the line with the puck in in?? Was the puck over the line but the ref/replay guy couldn't see it through the glove or netting?? Those are the one's I would like to be definative.

Using last year an example, Toronto, Montreal, Carolina, and Colorado missed the playoffs by, at the most, 3 points. That only a very few games through the season. This type of definative answer may have changed that.

All I am saying behind this is that to have replay work, it must be definative. If not, do back to no replay and have the ref's call on the field stand. It has worked in soccer and baseball for at least a century.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/04/2007 07:03:54
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  17:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I guess I have to confront the traditionalist in myself. I'm a flip-flopper, as I'm about to prove. Some things old school, some not.

I think there aught to be a bit of human element to the game, to calls made, and I draw the line at changing the pucks into some techno-gadget. Next thing you know they'll have a blue trail so Americans can see them on the ice (a reference to anyone over 30 who watched Fox broadcasts in the 90's).

On the other hand, I like video replay. It's still a human making the final call, not a laser or computer or something. Man, I sound old, huh?
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  17:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Okay, I guess I have to confront the traditionalist in myself. I'm a flip-flopper, as I'm about to prove. Some things old school, some not.

I think there aught to be a bit of human element to the game, to calls made, and I draw the line at changing the pucks into some techno-gadget. Next thing you know they'll have a blue trail so Americans can see them on the ice (a reference to anyone over 30 who watched Fox broadcasts in the 90's).

On the other hand, I like video replay. It's still a human making the final call, not a laser or computer or something. Man, I sound old, huh?

I'm not saying to get rid of the human element entirely, just one challenge per game, per coach. If you look at how many questionable goals are called that could be reversible, I think this new GPS puck could really benefit the game. Imagine at home getting a 3D view of the puck crossing the line is it was a questionable initial call. That would be pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  20:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I guess it would be cool. But I'm the kind of guy who prefers the organ at the games over the rock/dance music.

Da da da da-da,
Da da da da-da,
Da da da da-da,
DA DA DA!
Da da da.

Repeat in a higher key.

Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  08:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Yeah, I guess it would be cool. But I'm the kind of guy who prefers the organ at the games over the rock/dance music.

Da da da da-da,
Da da da da-da,
Da da da da-da,
DA DA DA!
Da da da.

Repeat in a higher key.

Organs are great. Some teams used to have a guy going around the arena with a mic'ed up trumpet. That was pretty good too. It's not the same as an organ, but being a trumpet player I'm kind of biased
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've heard my tune played with a trumpet, too. It's all good. I like Guns n' Roses as much as the next guy, but I'd rather hear the organ over another spin of Welcome to the Jungle.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  18:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're all going to think I'm smokin' again but...
I don't think there is any way of actually making it happen, the logistics of doing so would be unreal but, I would make minimum 1 minute shifts. If a player goes out onto the ice he's out there for at least 1 minute.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  11:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, here's a great article.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/7442238

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page