Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Next HHOF incductees Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg Smith
Rookie

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who will be next year's Hockey Hall of Fame inductees.

3 great guys who come to my mind right away.

Eric Lindros
Igor Larionov
Pavel Bure

Did I miss anybody?

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be at least three more years before Lindros is inducted.

Larionov is a lock.

Adam Oates.
Mark Howe should finally get in.
Rogie Vachon
Doug Gilmour
Glen Anderson

It could be a catch up year for inductees I think.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a list I found as "potentials":

Glen Anderson
Pavel Bure
Igor Larionov
Mike Vernon
Dino Ciccarelli
Rogy Vachon
Sergei Makarov
Doug Gilmour

Lindros can not go in next year. He's got a 3 year wait. And in the Hall or not, I think we can all agree that he does not warrant side stepping the waiting list to get into the Hall.

I would say the 4 for next year will be Anderson, Bure, Ciccarelli, and Gilmour. Just my votes anyway.

Here are some potentails for the next few years:

09-Robataille, Yzerman, Leetch, Brett Hull, Andreychuk

10-Depending on who comes back - Neidermayer, Selanne, Forsberg, Nieuendyk, Turgeon, Lindros

11 and beyond- Depending on who retires and when - Belfour, Hasek, Roenick, Blake, Modano, Recchi, Roberts, Chelios, Shanahan, Fedorov, Sakic.

IN NO WAY AM I SAYING ALL OF THESE PLAYERS BELONG IN THE HALL. JUST A LOOK AT WHO IS MIGHT BE CONSIDERED.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one more thing to add, let's not forget this is the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall of Fame. When considering a guy like Larionov, don't forget his Red Army days. The guy has got over 1100 points in over 1400 pro career games.

Willus, I missed Mark Howe. I agree, he should be there. I think Oates might be waiting a while. I agree 08 might be a catch up year for the committee.

Wonder if Messier's comments on Anderson last night were a push to get him in for next year. 6 Cups, clutch play off performer. He should totally be there. It actually would have been nice to see him standing with Messier last night.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Mark Howe gets in, guys. I hate to bring it up again, but no "wow" factor. Just a consistent, if not excellent, career.

My votes go to Anderson (I think Mess's comments will go a long way in helping him), Bure, Larianov, Oates and maybe Gilmour (strictly on "wow" factor - his Toronto years were vital in putting the Leafs back on track, at least for awhile).

The lock is Bure, and probably Larianov. The rest I'm not 100% sure.

Man, that's a lot of Russians for me. Could be their year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Mark Howe had a consistant, excellent career, how does he not get in, but Ronnie Frachise does?? Isn't that what the basis for Francis getting in was?? Consistant and excellent. That seems to be a pretty good combination for a Hall of Fame Player.

Gilmour was also a pretty important part of the Flames Cup as well. He's almost a PPG guy, over 1400 points. Heart on his sleeve every game. Gritty. All the things us Canadians love in our Hockey Players.

He's in, I agree.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  17:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Francis put up the points. But, I agree, Mark Howe is a shoo-in.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howe retired 13 years ago, guys. I don't see him getting in without buying a ticket like the rest of us. If he was going to get voted in, wouldn't he be in already? He was an all-star, but aside from that he really didn't win anything that makes him stand out, and he wasn't a big scorer either. I think his name probably makes him more noticeable than his accomplishments.

Also, when I say Howe was excellent, I'm not saying he was even Ron Francis excellent. I mean more like Felix Potvin during his first few years with the Leafs kind of excellent.

Francis played a huge role on two Cup teams, and had almost 1800 career points. 1800! Not only that, he won Lady Byngs, Selkes, and was a multiple all-star. Different stratosphere than Mark Howe. Next thing you'll be saying Marty Howe has a shot, too.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put it this way, Beans...if Lindros doesn't make the HHOF, and Mark Howe does, I officially lose any and all respect I had for the institution.
Go to Top of Page

Greg Smith
Rookie

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the way it's going now in Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasek get in in 2010. This is probably his last year. I agree with the Howe comment, he should definetly make it one of these years
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  19:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Howe retired 13 years ago, guys. I don't see him getting in without buying a ticket like the rest of us. If he was going to get voted in, wouldn't he be in already? He was an all-star, but aside from that he really didn't win anything that makes him stand out, and he wasn't a big scorer either. I think his name probably makes him more noticeable than his accomplishments.

Also, when I say Howe was excellent, I'm not saying he was even Ron Francis excellent. I mean more like Felix Potvin during his first few years with the Leafs kind of excellent.

Francis played a huge role on two Cup teams, and had almost 1800 career points. 1800! Not only that, he won Lady Byngs, Selkes, and was a multiple all-star. Different stratosphere than Mark Howe. Next thing you'll be saying Marty Howe has a shot, too.

You sir, are dead wrong. Mark Howe was a fantastic defenceman who is oft underrated by people such as yourself.
He was 3 time runner up for the Norris. Probably should have won the year he was runner up to Langway. I would have given it to Howe the year he lost to Coffey as well.
He was an all around defenceman. Versatile enough to play wing when he was in the WHA.
Andyhack and I had a discussion some time ago about Bourque where I stated he had no wow factor. Yet Bourque is an all time great. The wow factor point is moot.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Edited by - willus3 on 11/13/2007 21:42:06
Go to Top of Page

Scudworth
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pavel Bure
Thomas Steen
Glen Anderson
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  06:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark Howe was a left-winger in Junior, and in the WHA.

How many players can move from wing to defense, and be a standout, not many...

He had an injury-plagued career, he was the player that got impaled by the metal puck deflector in the middle of the net. I do not think he was the same player after the incident.

6 WHA seasons.
16 NHL seasons.

I did a quick calculation of his stats in his first 9 NHL seasons.
If you give him the average points for his first nine seasons, for the 6 in the WHA his NHL totals would look like this:
Games 1355 points 1117, not bad for a winger converted to D man...

Next in the hall

Mark Howe
Glenn Anderson
Dino Ciccarelli

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page