Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NHL Players in the Olympics Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  11:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
From MSN.ca

Bettman says NHL not sure about Olympic participation past 2010
29/11/2007 2:23:00 AM

The NHL's foray into the Olympics could possibly end with Vancouver in 2010, commissioner Gary Bettman said Thursday.

"Our Olympic participation post 2010 will be decided in conjunction with the Players Assciation," Bettman told The Canadian Press in an e-mail. "My guess is that we'll wait until after 2010 to access that experience and then make a decision about future Games."

The NHL first sent players to the Olympics in 1998 at Nagano and followed suit in 2002 at Salt Lake City and 2006 at Turin.

The 2014 Winter Games are in Sochi, Russia. The long travel overseas combined with the number of games players faced between the NHL and Olympic schedules led to much complaining after the 2006 Games in Italy.

What do you think??

Choices:

Keep the NHL Players in.
Take the NHL Players out.
Don''t really care either way.
Take the NHL Players out of the Olympics but bring back the Canada Cup!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/30/2007 11:32:40

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  12:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think its really fair to keep the players in. All the dominating countries have good NHl players. Banning NHL players from the Olympics would make it more even.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  12:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted to take the players out of the Olympics.

I don't want Canada Cups back either personally. They were kind of unfair when you think about - all the games being in Canada and all.

That's not going to be a popular comment for sure - but the next one is going to be even more unpopular!

I don't particularly like NHL players venturing in anything other than the NHL (MAYBE once every seven or so years a special summit-like series where half the games are played here and half there, but that's about it).

Three reasons:

1. I like watching a league with the mix of superstars, stars, good players and so-so players in it. I find that contrast interesting. I don't need to see star after star play against one another more than once every seven years or so.

2. I don't want to be left with the feeling that a "good" NHL player is just average or that an "average" NHL player sucks after watching too many Olympics or Canada Cups

3. I don't like the fact that a star of our favorite NHL team is risking his body and his career for his country TOO MUCH (again - once every seven years or so seems right to me)

Oh boy, I can hear Flyguy's screams from Saskatchewan already! Probably loads of others are also ready to boo me right now. Oh well, just being honest. That is how I feel.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  13:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way, just I would like to see the canada cup.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  13:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Olympics are supposed to be amateur athletes. I say professional athletes shouldn't be in the Olympics.
Take them out and revive the Canada Cup. I personally like to see the best of the best and the best versus the best. It's the ultimate in hockey.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  14:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Willus. Olympians are not supposed to be pros.

As far as the Canada Cup, maybe have it set up like the World Cup of Soccer. Every 4 years or so and have it in different locations each time.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  15:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone name athletes, in any sport in the Olympics that earn $0.00 for participating in their sport.

All the Athletes that perform get winnings during the event that they participate in throughout the year, some sports earn more than others.

Are the Olympics really amateur anymore?

Some countries give money for a Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal, in fact Canada will ge giving money during the next Olympics for the first time...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Edited by - PuckNuts on 11/30/2007 15:19:46
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  16:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, there has to be some international contest with the pros (the best of the best)...everyone wants to represent their country sometime...

I like having nhlers in it personally...I mean, I don't really know if the is such thing as a pro-bobsled league, or a pro-biathlon association...etc. So at the olymipcs, you are seeing the best bobsleders and "biathloners"..So why not let us see the best hockey players going at it? If you didn't, you'd have a modified spengler cup (boring)..And also, we all know the players like it.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0908
( )

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  16:53:19  Reply with Quote
you have to keep them in.. its the olympics of the best athletes in the world competing, hockey wouldnt be the best if nhl players werent in.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  17:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either,or, there should be some sort of international competition, at least every four years. It is the most entertaining competition, internationally, for those who are not intrigued with soccer. What other sport is as international as hockey? Where else do you see the committment?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  13:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olympians are not supposed to be pros, but yet most of them spend 4 years of their lives trainin. You call that amateur? These players deserve the chance to play in the olympics, these countries deserve their stars to represent them, and Garry Bettman can afford a bit of a mix up in the NHL once every four year. So the NHL gets a little tossed around, does that mean that the world should suffer? It is in the interest of the greater good to allow NHLers in to the olympics. It is no fun to watch otherwise, plain and simple.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest8310
( )

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  21:50:47  Reply with Quote
KEEP THEM IN THE GAMES

it makes it so exciting to see the best players alive in their countries playing, without them its just college hockey and euro elite leagues

KEEP THE NHL (AND AHL) PLAYERS IN THE GAMES

Blackhawks/Wolves
Go to Top of Page

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olympics are still the best athletes from their respected sport. in saying that, I believe NHL players should be in the Olympics because you showcase your best.

If not then the KHL, and all the European Professional Leagues, shouldn't be able to play cause they aren't Amateurs, and even the AHL is considered a professional league. What do the ice hockey olympics became? A Spengler Cup, a showcase of draft prospects, or the World Juniors? I may be very blind because I am saying that.

Not only that, but then the NBA also shouldn't be in there for the summer olympics.

In closing, they are the best players in their respected fields when people go to the olympics so I think they should be there.
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  14:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant c why they should take the players out, the olympics r supposed to showcase the best athletes in the world and if the nhl has the best hockey players in the world y should they be kept out. also if they ban nhl players its only fair if they ban the khl and swedish elite league which have better players than some guys in the nhl. and i think that would totally ruin the olympics and personally i wouldnt watch it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7113
( )

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  14:59:16  Reply with Quote
If the pros weren't there, I wouldn't watch. If you really want to stick to the 'spirit of the olympics' (ie amateur competition), you remove all the excitement. When I'm sitting at work, I don't get excited to watch 20 ham-and-eggers falling all over themselves.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm conflicted. I know if the NHL pulls out of the Olympics Canada loses the likelyhood of being in the medals for the Olympics. I just dont agree with NHL teams and owners lending there Multimillion dollar assets to a supposed amature games with no compensation, especially since the Olympics has no interest in the players, if they get injured. However the Olympics are no longer about Amateur sports anymore. The best athletes in the world compete at the Olympics and the games are more of a business than a celebration of amateur sports.

How can a team like Washington justify sending Ovechkin to play in a tournament when they are one of the favorites to win the cup with him in the lineup and probably no-where near as good with him out with a concussion or major injury. Same as with Semin, Backstrom, Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, Fluery, Broduer, Elias, Parise, Thorton, Heatley, Marleau, Nabokov, etc etc etc. These guys are all game changing players and multimillion dollar assets who get paid to play in a league. These same players seem more interested in playing for pride for their country than playing for a living for their team and city.

I figure if the winter games biggest attraction is Hockey, is a tournament about the best in the sports, and the NHL runs the risk of losing players to injury, the Olympics should compensate the NHL for its loss. I have huge pride in Canadian athletes in the Olympics and hope for a successful Olympics this year. I just think it may be time to cut ties with NHL players at the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This move was obvious for everyone with half a brain for a long time now. Let's think.

Gary Bettman is the pawn of league owners. You think League owners like lending out their multi-million dollar investments to a side-tournament where they can get injured? Or massively compacting the schedule which also increases risk of injury?

Only reason they didn't cancel this earlier was because this Olympics was in Vancouver, and is thus marketable to the States. Sochi, Russia is not. Luckily guys like Malkin and Ovechkin are going to give the middle finger to the league, a move I would like to see some Canadians do as well (even though none will). In conclusion, Bettman sucks.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  16:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Bettman has dueled with IIHF president over NHL player participation at a press conference. The CBA happening in 2011 or possibly 2012 might be a bargaining chip for Bettman to leverage player participation in the next Olympics. I dont think the Board of Governers likes lending paying employees to a Tournament, which makes but does not share revenue off of there assets, especially when it does not happen on or near the NHL's fan base. The IIHF has stated that the Hockey tournament is the Marquee event, but has not compensated the NHL for accomidating the Olympics and IIHF.

Heres a link to the press conference. http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/timwharnsby/2010/02/bettman-fasel-duel-over-olympics.html

For once in my life, I agree with Bettman. He is still the the #1 villain in hockey IMO, but he has a valid point.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  23:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem I have is the double standard. All of these problems have been around since Nagano, but were convieniently ignored as long as there was a north american olympics on the horizon. Now that its going across the globe, he pulls out? Not even remotely fair. Since the Canada/World Cup is in shambles this is THE int'l hockey tournament. Its a shame that the NHL owners only care about their NHL teams and bottom lines, and not about the good of the sport, but that's capitalism for you.

If he is so obsessed about the compressed schedule, all he should do is abolish the pre-season in olympic years and start the reg. season that much earlier.

I actually think the NHL should start in September too, but thats another thread.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  06:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is why I thin pulling out of the Olympics is a terrible idea. You have the biggest audience possible to market your product!! if you have the best of the best out theyre people may get hooked kids especially and that how the leauge grows. If you have Beans centering me and Slozo people are going to catch a glimps of that on the tube and say what kind of god awful sport is that?

One other huge problem here is the NHL bettr be prepared to lose some of its biggest assets as the Russian player's are most definitly going to be at the 2014 games regardless. Use it as a marketing tool and stfu.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbar
If you have Beans centering me and Slozo people are going to catch a glimps of that on the tube and say what kind of god awful sport is that?

What? Are you saying that Beans is a bad center?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Losing player's to Europe is definately a down side. But, as one poster put it the World Cup and World Championship is in shambles, while the biggest stage for International hockey is now the Olympics. Another point says, its too bad the NHL only cares about the bottom line. What business model doesn't. NHL players playing in the Olympics builds international game, but unless the Olympics are staged in or near an NHL Audience, the Olympics helps very little to the NHL growth.

I say rebuild and invest in the international stage thru World cup or World championships. Let the Juniors or the Spengler Cup players play in the Olympics. Why should the NHL lend their assets free of charge, while taking all the risk so the Olympics can stage the best international Tournament at the NHL's expense. I'd rather see a summer World Championship event, which doesnt conflict schedule wise or put NHL players at risk in season.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Olympics is about the best. It stopped being amateurs a long time ago. It IS and should be about the best atheletes around the world regardless of where they come from.

I'm just wondering if Bettman is trying to pressure Russia into a transfer agreement.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  13:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

The Olympics is about the best. It stopped being amateurs a long time ago. It IS and should be about the best atheletes around the world regardless of where they come from.

I'm just wondering if Bettman is trying to pressure Russia into a transfer agreement.

Ya, I agree that the Olympics hasn't been about the amateur athlete in nearly 20 years. However, can we name a single other pro sport that stops their schedule in order to send players to the Olympics??? Heck, even Baseball does not send their best to the Olympics because it would create havoc for their schedule makers.

Bettman has gone so far as to offer to have ice hockey in the Summer Games but the IOC said no dice. Basketball, traditionally around the world, is an indoor winter sport yet they play at the summer games.

Thinking of the perspective of the fan, it's easy to say to keep the NHLer's in the games. But as the perspective of just about every other interested stakeholder(owner, GM, coach, accountant, etc) the NHLer's at the Olympics is a no-win situation.

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/19/2010 13:55:07
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  18:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

The Olympics are supposed to be amateur athletes. I say professional athletes shouldn't be in the Olympics.
Take them out and revive the Canada Cup. I personally like to see the best of the best and the best versus the best. It's the ultimate in hockey.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

The only reason the Olympics were initiated as an amateur event was because the nobles of some countries didn't want to dirty themselves rubbing shoulders in the same competition with "lower class" professional athletes who 100 years ago were regarded as one social step above circus performers. I say keep the NHLers in the games! The Olympics should be the best of the best going head to head.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  19:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a business and financial standpoint, I can understand the NHL (NHL Commish, Team Owners, Team Presidents, Team General Managers, Team Head Coaches, etc...) all wanting the players out of the Olympics.

As a fan... I cannot. Mainly because when I watch the Olympics, the only thing that seperates this from other International Hockey Tournaments, is the fact that MOST of each Countries top players are on the roster. Some withdrawal/decline, some are injured before hand, but most agree to play.

With other tournaments, mainly that of the World Championships, it depends what teams are out of the playoffs, who agrees, injuries, etc.

I like the Olympics because it allows for the best of the best, head-to-head. It's thrilling to watch.

I'd prefer they stay in the Olympics as a fan, and i'm sure 95% of fans would agree. We want to watch the best.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  11:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irvine, I agree as a fan I want to watch the best. As particular NHL team I was extremely upset last Olympics when my team lost there #1 goalie to an injury while playing in a non NHL tournament, during the NHL season. Although that team went on with a Rookie goalie and lost in the second round, that was IMO, their best shot at a cup run, for my team.

This type of thing happens all the time with players of lessor or greater caliber. I know you, as a fan of the same team, know exactly what I'm talking about. The worst part is the character of the majority of these players, is as such, that they will play injured or put themselves in harms way for their country, sometimes more willing than if given the same choice for their paying employer. And again this all happens while disrupting in season for there respective employers.

I say pull em out, or compensate there paying employers or move them to the Olympics which is the offseason.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

Heck, even Baseball does not send their best to the Olympics because it would create havoc for their schedule makers.

It's different for basball because they are already playing 5 days a week and they wouldn't be able to work around it hockey however would be able to

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  10:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't really fair to allow players to play when its convienient for the league (Salt Lake City, Vancouver), and then disallow it once it becomes less convienient (Sochi). There is a pretty glaring double standard here that I think is getting overlooked. None of the problems listed in this thread were unique to Vancouver, and I think the league is being stubborn rather than adapting.

If the league made the Olympics a priority (they should in my opinion), then abolish the pre-season in Olympic years and start the season 3 weeks earlier. That would ameliorate all of the scheduling problems and stretch out the season to normal. Yes, you will get some injuries in any tournament, but this isn't as big a problem as people make it out to be. Inuries can happen in practice and even when people are chopping wood at home on a sunday.

Do you think Man United Fans and Liverpool fans get mad when Wayne Rooney and Gerrard play for England? No. Hockey fans should be no different, and recognize that the international element is essential for growing the game overseas.

Fin
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huge difference between the World Cup/Euro Cup and the Winter Olympics. Let's state the obvious reasons.

The events on a Global or even European scale in world of soccer are not played during the major leagues seasons. No country halts its schedule for player to go and play in the World or Euro Cup.Qualifying games are almost always scheduled around league games and the players are not traveling 1/2 way around the world to play in games during the season. FIFA and the Local Leagues (English Premiere, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, etc) work around each others schedules to make it work.

Cancelling the preseason and starting the season early does not change the requirement to alter the schedule?? The league is still shutting down for 3 weeks, regardless of the start or the finish. How is that not altering the schedule???

Finally, the NHL and the NHLPA wrote into their most recent CBA to play in the Olympic Games through 2010. This was after Salt Lake City and they had already known the 06 games would be in Torino and Vancouver in 2010. It was an experiment. It's not like the NHL decided after the games in Italy that they would play in Vancouver and that's it. Most of the owners voiced issues with the games after Torino and would have pulled out of the Vancouver games if they could have. They were already contractually obligated.

Again, it's easy as a fan to say to have the NHL player in. But put yourself in the show of anyone involved in hockey outside of the players and the fans and it gets a lot harder to prove the case.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  13:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, first of all I was never trying to say the World Cup/Euro leagues are the same, just saying that a sport can adapt it's schedule to incorporate international play if its made a priority. (For what it's worth, play DOES halt in the country leagues for World Cup qualy's/Euro qualification/etc.)

I also didn't say that starting the season early wouldn't still alter the schedule, just that it would make things more manageable by not 'compressing' the sched on Olympic years.

"But put yourself in the show of anyone involved in hockey outside of the players and the fans and it gets a lot harder to prove the case.[/size=1]"

I'm assuming you meant 'shoes' instead of show because that wouldn't make any sense. Even as an owner I would argue that showcasing the league and bringing greater international attention to the brighest stars of each country can economically and socially be more valuable in the long run to the NHL than not participating in the Olympics. I see a clear argument that the pros outweigh the cons, even putting myself in their 'shoes'.

True, you might get an injury to one of your players, but your rivals are taking the same risk.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  16:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, you did catch a typo.

And I have to respectfully disagree. If I am a businessman, I never give my assets to anything without a tangible value in return. The NHL players in the Olympics give no team owner a tangible value.

Tell me which Soccer league stops for the World Cup. I am not trying to be difficult, I would really like to know. I have never known a single pro soccer league that has their season overlap into the summer, which is when the World and Euro Cups always are.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Qualification for those tournaments take place during the country leagues regular seasons. It is usually mid-week, and the country leagues tend to be more on the weekend. Nevertheless, there is overlap. This is true for all the leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc.) If you don't believe me look it up.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Qualification for those tournaments take place during the country leagues regular seasons. It is usually mid-week, and the country leagues tend to be more on the weekend. Nevertheless, there is overlap. This is true for all the leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc.) If you don't believe me look it up.

Ok, you said the Tourney's overlapped, not the qualifying. Furthermore, you proved my point in saying that the leagues work with FIFA and schedule qualifiers around the main league. Those qualifiers are always regional as well. You never see England having to fly to Brazil for a qualifier.

So you are proving my point. Only the NHL shuts down their league for a global event.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  21:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol. 'Global Event'? Are you serious? You originally said no leagues shut down to send their players to play for their countries. Players leaving during the middle of a season to play for their country is in essence the same thing. The fact that it is regional makes no difference. Using the soccer analogy, besides Europe each qualifying zone takes up a very large area. Same risk of injury, same 'untangible benefits to owners, etc. In fact, there are many more matches in qualifying for the World Cup or Euro than there will be in the Olympics for hockey. Despite this, it is taken as a given that soccer players will play for their country first, league team second.

The NHL could easily embrace the same viewpoint, but the narrow-minded owners are too busy worrying about injuries rather than growing the game internationally.

If you don't think this is a big priority, you have lived in Canada too long. In the US, they barely care about the hockey thus far (NBC showed pairs original dance over the live feed of Canada/US, for example). This is an example of how bad a shape hockey is in south of the border. Considering the attendance figures of many teams NHL-wide, you would think the possibility of attracting people with a US-gold medal would be reason enough to gamble on the olympics.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  21:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Hugh, I would appreciate if you scrolled up and took a quick read through my previous posts. No where did I say anything other than 'Olympics" and "Global Events" using the World/Euro Cup as an example.

Secondly, regardless of the size/distance of the travel of the World Cup Soccer zones, it does not change the fact that FIFA works with the respective leagues to ensure schedules have minimal if any disruption. The IIHF and the IOC do the polar opposite and insists on hockey leagues (both in North America and Europe) halt their seasons to participate. In the end, I think that without Hockey in the Winter Olympics, the overall draw to the North American fan drops significantly. I don't know many if any people that will be setting their alarm clocks at 2am to watch Ski Jumping live when the Games are in Europe. So I personally don't understand why the IIHF and IOC do not work harder to find a solution.

Thirdly, please explain to me how sending NHL players to Russia in 4 years will grow the game in the US?? Seriously, how does that make sense???

Let's look at this from a difference perspective.

Can you tell me of one league in any sport that has global coverage? Please explain to me why the NHL has to be the first?? Furthermore, tell me any Global sport that the US has embraced. Football, Baseball, and Basketball are the premier sports in US by a landslide. With the exception of small pockets around the world, those sports are American. Not a single one of those sports is the leading sport in any other country in the world (with the exception of baseball in a few places like Cuba and Porto Rico which basically is the US). I digress, but the point is that the NHL players in Sochi will not change the US hockey base at all. Not in the least.

Consider that one of the best Olympic Hockey Events of this generation happened in the US just 8 years ago and included the US in the final. If that did not improve the fan base in the US nothing will.

Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  22:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are adopting a defeatist attitude. As it currently stands the league is doing a dismal job using the olympics as a vehicle to promote the game. That doesn' t mean it is a bad avenue to do so. I didn't realize you were such a fan of Bettman and his cronies, but many would prefer to see the Olympic participation continue.

How would NHL attendance in Sochi grow the game in the US? Hmm, I recall a fairly important hockey game 30 years ago.... which two teams were involved.... damn something about a miracle of some kind. While I don't argue it will happen again, the mere chance of it could grab the attention of joe boozehound in the states, if only for a minute.

Also, do not misconstrue my arguments. 'Name one league that has global coverage'. Wtf? Where did I sayanything about this? Note that exposure and coverage are different. Let's forget the fact that less than half the world cares even 1% about the Winter olympics or knows what ice hockey is. We are talking about building the NHL brand to countries who know and care, or are curious about hockey. (Regular Season games in Europe mean the league cares at least a little bit about this).

If you are happy with the total afterthought that the NHL currently is in the US and abroad, good for you. I for one would like to see hockey grow in popularity , and recognize the Olympics as a reasonable vehicle to accomplish this.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4746
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  23:19:49  Reply with Quote
Its funny how the only reason people are opposed to NHLers being at the Olympics is MONEY MONEY MONEY. Let the players decide whether they want to play or not. The olympics are NOT about money that is why it is so great, you have the best players giving it their all for their country! I've all ready lost my Jets due to MONEY don't take away my one time in every 4 years where I get to feel like I have a team to cheer for! Its bigger then the NHL its about Canada as a whole!!! ( or whatever country you are from)
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4746

Its funny how the only reason people are opposed to NHLers being at the Olympics is MONEY MONEY MONEY. Let the players decide whether they want to play or not. The olympics are NOT about money that is why it is so great, you have the best players giving it their all for their country! I've all ready lost my Jets due to MONEY don't take away my one time in every 4 years where I get to feel like I have a team to cheer for! Its bigger then the NHL its about Canada as a whole!!! ( or whatever country you are from)

Ok, I'll bite. To the comment its all about the money. No way, really, Capitalists are greedy. What do you think they should be concerned with. I also dont like the loss of flow when breaking up an NHL season. Plus the potential for injury is much greater in Hockey than it is in other professional sports which participate in the Olympics.

What would have happened if the KHL pull's its players from the Olympics. Dont get me wrong, there area a lot of great players playing in the KHL. I say its business as usual. There is enough leagues to pick up the slack and put forth competitive teams. Pull the NHL participation and the Tournament becomes little more than a Spengler Cup.

For the NHL to take the risk with its assets they have to have a reward and there is no reward for the league during the Olympics in Russia. Playing at or near there fan base is a reward in North America, but to have your best assets play in a country which also happens to be the host country to your biggest rival organization KHL. I'll bet a few of the best players get poached by this league during tournament play. This seem more benificial to their league and the growth of the game over in Russia than the NHL's well being.

[Moderator Edit - Inappropriate Comment]

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/23/2010 10:43:20
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Olympics stopped being anything remotely amateur decades ago, and it would be absolutely impossible to get anything close to an even playing field if attempted.

The tournament is a high profile one pitting the best players in the world against each other, each playing for his home country, in the sport we all follow and love.

What, in the name of all that is holy and sacred, is wrong with that?!?

The NHL will, indeed, be forced to participate (or at least allow some NHL players to) in the Sochi Olympics, otherwise, they will be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Kovalchuk, Nabakov, Datsyuk . . . this is a fearsome group, and a very powerful one, led by the two-time MVP.

The KHL grins and waits in anticipation, I am sure.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are adopting a defeatist attitude. As it currently stands the league is doing a dismal job using the olympics as a vehicle to promote the game. That doesn' t mean it is a bad avenue to do so. I didn't realize you were such a fan of Bettman and his cronies, but many would prefer to see the Olympic participation continue.

I am not adopting a defeatist attitude, I simply have a differening opinion. Actually, I personally love the NHL players in the games but I am also able to look at if from another perspective.

I really love thse "Bettman and his cronies" type of comments because it just proves how much people make assumptions.

Who are those "cronies??" Oh, that's right, they are the owners!! Without them, there is no NHL!!

Damn them! Damn all of them!!

quote:

How would NHL attendance in Sochi grow the game in the US? Hmm, I recall a fairly important hockey game 30 years ago.... which two teams were involved.... damn something about a miracle of some kind. While I don't argue it will happen again, the mere chance of it could grab the attention of joe boozehound in the states, if only for a minute.

Completely agree. However, that game was played where??? I still fail to understand how a game in Russia is going to positively impact US hockey comparatively speaking to say 2002???

I'll patiently wait for the next back pedal.

quote:

Also, do not misconstrue my arguments. 'Name one league that has global coverage'. Wtf? Where did I sayanything about this? Note that exposure and coverage are different. Let's forget the fact that less than half the world cares even 1% about the Winter olympics or knows what ice hockey is. We are talking about building the NHL brand to countries who know and care, or are curious about hockey. (Regular Season games in Europe mean the league cares at least a little bit about this).

Perhaps I did misconstrue your arguement. From what I understand, your opinion is that bringing the NHL players to the Olympics raises the profile of the sport internationally and is therefore better for the NHL.

For clarity, can you provide me an example of another league that had a positive impact of this 'global' exposure, specifically in the US???

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page