Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who should be Team Canada's starting goalie Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  04:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who should be Canada's starting goalie and how long should they be given to show they are hot at the moment.

Choices:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc Andre Fleury

Edited by - willus3 on 02/09/2010 16:44:40

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  04:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you have to at least start the tournament with Brodeur. Brodeur hasn't been very good though the past few playoffs, so if he falters at all i'd turn to Luongo.

It doesn't matter who Babcock decides to go with, goaltending shouldn't ben an issue. We have 3 of the best in the game.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  06:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
J.S Giguere !!!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  08:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, who is the keeper that has been to the finals in the past 2 season, winning one of them??

I know that's not the popular choice but you gotta admit the guy has been brilliant in the clutch. I would be really hard pressed to sit both Brodeur and Luongo, but Broduer has been average at best since the Olympic announcement.

The smart money is on Brodeur, but I am not sure if that's the smart play.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  08:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's how i feel about Brodeur too beans.

And as for Fleury, i'm a big fan of his. I was one of the ones who felt he should be the back-up to Brodeur when the trio was officially announced, with Luongo the 3rd...but Luongo has played pretty well since the announcement.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7092
( )

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  09:42:46  Reply with Quote
I would try luongo first...he plays in vancouver already....the fans want to see it.....brodeur has been cold lately....but he's a champ already so if bobby lou falters you have the champ ready to come in.....it's a toss up.....
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  14:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Screw the fans! Yikes, did i just say that? Brodeur is the guy to start! If nothing else, play him vs Norway, if we're up like we should be, throw Luongo in for the 3rd period. Do the same vs the Swiss. Get luongo some playing time so that if Brodeur falters, you've got a guy who's had some action ready to help out. The way this tournament is set up, you can get through it with one guy. You'll see a few teams riding one goalie the entire way i'm sure. Hopefully, Marty plays well and we sail through to the gold with him between the pipes.

Personally, i don't see Fleury getting any mins at all. Not saying anything bad about him, i just figure there's two guys ahead of him at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4022
( )

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  15:57:40  Reply with Quote
you go with Brodeur until he proves you wrong.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  16:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's an easy choice. You go with Brodeur.

He has the NHL records to support his case, a long with the Olympic/World experience. He's also perhaps the greatest goaltender in pro hockey history.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4050
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  13:49:50  Reply with Quote
Why does the comment brodeur is the best ever even come into this convo. Why dont we throw in Rob Blake & Robyn Regeher while were at it they've had better carrers then the young kids. Realistically beans made the most relevant comment about how fleury has been in the last two cup finals and in a two week tournament its all about what have you done for me recently not what did you do for me over your career.Has anybody watched brodeur play against the leafs ranger and flyers lately? Below average teams and marty's allowing below average goals and he blew a 2-0 lead last night. This is a two week tournament not a life time achievment award. Obviously some of you missed the 06 olympics when marty looked like cujo in 02. He guided us too a stellar 7th place did he not. Let all three guys play in the round robin games which ever two look the best those are your guys the rest of the way. And nobody can say that does not make sense as switzlerand blanked us 2-0 in the last olympics so all would be tune up games. If you want brodeur as your guy then let him play the game against the US and if he s***s the bed then dispose of him the way they did with cujo. If he steals the show then you get your answer and ride him the whole way. Regardless i think Fleury has to be atleast your # 2 as there is no better goalie in the world in the shootout and and i assure you a game against russia, sweden or the fins just may go to a shootout and who wouldn't want a guy that is 7-0 in the shootout and i believe has yet to concede a goal this year (may be wrong on the conceding goal).
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest4050,

Because at the end of the day I want the best goaltender in the world in my net, easy as that.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Guest4050,

Because at the end of the day I want the best goaltender in the world in my net, easy as that.

Irvine/prez.

If you want the best goalie in the world today in your net, you might have to cheer for another country. I would say going into the Olympics, Miller and Nabokov have been completely unconsious in the past month. Let's not forget about Tommy Vokoun and what he has done recently with a pretty limited defense.

There are some fantastic goalies out there. I don't think there are any that are head and shoulders over the next.

Again, I think Fleury is under rated but if push came to shove and I had to make a call, Marty B is in there for me as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Guest4050,

Irvine/prez.

If you want the best goalie in the world today in your net, you might have to cheer for another country. I would say going into the Olympics, Miller and Nabokov have been completely unconsious in the past month. Let's not forget about Tommy Vokoun and what he has done recently with a pretty limited defense.

There are some fantastic goalies out there. I don't think there are any that are head and shoulders over the next.

Again, I think Fleury is under rated but if push came to shove and I had to make a call, Marty B is in there for me as well.

Beans, i wouldn't consider Miller's play to be "unconsious" this past month? He was good early, but he's actually been struggling somewhat lately. Heard tonight that he is 2-6 in his last 8, with a GAA over 2.8 and a save % under .900? Not a good time to slump for the US team, but having said that, he's likely to bounce back to his early form!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  20:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Miller has definitely been struggling the last little bit, i even heard one commentator today (can`t remember who it was, on someone on Sportsnet i believe) suggest Jonathan Quick should be their starter. I wouldn`t go that far, but Miller will defintely have to be better than he`s been so far in February. (i didn`t see any of tonights game, but i see he stopped 32 of 34 shots in regulation)
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  20:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, ya gotta figure Miller will be just fine come the big games? I can't see him losing his job at this point. Unless he struggles big time in the first game or two?

The US has a difficult first game, moreso than many prob realize. They open with the Swiss and who knows what sort of game Hiller might have? If he throws a 40+ save effort at them, they could find themselves on the wrong side of a tight score and be 0-1 sooner than they realize?
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  21:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be wise to give every goalie a chance to play 1 game in non-medal round, and then stick with the hottest goalie through the medal round?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  21:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think all 3 no, but i think you'll see a lot of countries play 2 of their goaltenders are some point in the preliminary round.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  21:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, a goaltender may be "hot now". But to me, that does not make them the best goaltender in the world.

Brodeur has played solid, consistent hockey his entire career. Not for 10, 20 or even 82 games.

Miller, Nabokov, Fleury, Vokoun, etc... are all excellent goaltender, for their respective NHL and National teams. But to me, they are not the best goaltender based on even 82 games. (All other goaltenders mentioned, have played well their entire careers aswell, but not to the extent of MB) Brodeur, has all of these NHL records for a reason. If I had to pick a goaltender, playing in the Olympics to be in my net of any netminder in the game today. It's Marty.

Even if Brodeur struggled horrid this season, he'd still be the best in the World in my opinion. Because he's proven it over the course of his entire career. Not just a season. If he struggled during the tournament, I'd then look at replacing him with my next choice (Fleury.) Until then, he starts for me.

Irvine/prez.

Edited by - irvine on 02/09/2010 21:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  21:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

Would it be wise to give every goalie a chance to play 1 game in non-medal round, and then stick with the hottest goalie through the medal round?

I think you might see a few teams play two but keep in mind, this is a short tournament and apparently the way the games are set up, one goalie should easily be able to play the entire tournament. Also, keep in mind some of the teams don't have a solid #2?
Canada could get away with giving their #2 a start, but with their draw being Norway first, you won't see them give Brodeur that one, followed by the other two each getting a start? Norway shouldn't prove to be too big a test so if Brodeur shut them out with a 9-0 win and only 14 shots against, that isn't enough action for him to be ready for a do or die. Can you imagine if Luongo or Fleury followed up with a 2-0 shootout over the US making 30+ saves? Who'd play when the "one and done" games begin?
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  22:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd not try giving all three goalies a start. Infact, i'd not really be too keen on giving two a start at first.

I believe strongly that you should have a number 1 picked going in. Start that netminder, let him play on until he proves you otherwise. Then you replace him with your number 2 thought.

It's a short tournament. You want your number one to be prepared for anything. Whether it's Norway or Russia, allow him to get comfortable in the net. Don't swap out goaltenders based on who you're playing, which we often see in the World Juniors.

Let him get warmed up against Norway, keep in game mode. Continue on. Don't get him started, switch him out for a game, then put him back in.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8954
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  00:56:16  Reply with Quote
Based on the regular season stats thus far Brodeur-Luongo-Fleury would seem like the logical choice.

Wins:
Brodeur 33
Luongo 30
Fleury 28

GAA:
Brodeur 2.27
Luongo 2.33
Fleury 2.68

Sv%:
Brodeur 0.917
Luongo 0.919
Fleury 0.906

Shutouts (Not a big deal in my mind):
Brodeur 7
Luongo 3
Fleury 0

All three have been known to ride the lightning as well as slump every now and then so I wouldn't move Brodeur due to his current slump. He is the greatest goalie of all time (based on statistical performance) and a Canadian icon. Without a doubt I put him in first. Unless he gives a serious case for becoming #2 I'm keeping him in.

Or maybe he might get injured... being old and all ;)
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact that Brodeur has had some bad games lately & has given up some soft goals...It's not that which worries me a bit about him being our starting goaltender. It's how he has performed in the last 3 playoffs. The soft goals he gave up last year to Carolina. He was brutal against the Rangers in 2008, and he struggled in '07 against the Sens.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/10/2010 05:05:30
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  11:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So consensus seems to have Fleury or Brodeur to do rock-paper-scissors for the top spot?

I don't want Luongo (no offense to Vancouver or his skills), but I'd rather Stanley Cup winners in my net.

I'd go with Brodeur over Fleury because of experience, and Brodeur has played in the Olympics before.

In the end though, whoever the coach chooses is fine. If Canada wins, nobody will be mad for choosing the wrong goalie, and if Canada loses, there would be someone mad for choosing the wrong goalie even if all three were in net at the same time.

I just hope every team will play entertaining hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright boys, get real. No question, Brodeur is leading the boys to a gold medal unless he gets blown out in one of the games other than that dream on. Fleury without a doubt in 2014, I dont care if robots play by then either.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  23:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Alright boys, get real. No question, Brodeur is leading the boys to a gold medal unless he gets blown out in one of the games other than that dream on. Fleury without a doubt in 2014, I dont care if robots play by then either.

Totally agree with the Brodeur analogy, but would be willing to make a huge wager that Fleury doesn't start in 2014 (and this of course would only apply if NHLers are in). Basically what i'm saying is that i'd play the odds. Luongo will still be in the mix, Mason, remember the guy everyone thought would be #3 this year? He'll could be the best goalie in hockey 3 or 4 years from now? Carey Price? Ya never know, 4 years is a LONG time! There's more too. While i get what you're saying, there's no way anyone's gonna hand Fleury the job anytime soon!

BTW, Fleury didn't take the #3 spot from Mason. If Mason played this year like he did last year and had similar stats, he'd be one of the three for sure! Cup or no cup, Fleury would be on the outside looking in. The only way MAF would be on it would be if they threw Luongo aside and took youth which i don't think they'd have done. Why? Because Luongo will still be just 33 at the next games and will quite likely still be one of the best
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  00:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Totally agree with the Brodeur analogy, but would be willing to make a huge wager that Fleury doesn't start in 2014 (and this of course would only apply if NHLers are in). Basically what i'm saying is that i'd play the odds. Luongo will still be in the mix, Mason, remember the guy everyone thought would be #3 this year? He'll could be the best goalie in hockey 3 or 4 years from now? Carey Price? Ya never know, 4 years is a LONG time! There's more too. While i get what you're saying, there's no way anyone's gonna hand Fleury the job anytime soon!

BTW, Fleury didn't take the #3 spot from Mason. If Mason played this year like he did last year and had similar stats, he'd be one of the three for sure! Cup or no cup, Fleury would be on the outside looking in. The only way MAF would be on it would be if they threw Luongo aside and took youth which i don't think they'd have done. Why? Because Luongo will still be just 33 at the next games and will quite likely still be one of the best

Brodeur will likely start on Tuesday and the Luongo on Thursday, or vice versa. Babcock was interviewed on tsn earlier this week and said that they would be going with Luo and Marty. Fleury wont see any action unless they fall out of the medals, even then they are likely to give Brodeur his last hurrah.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  10:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure i like that redneck? If they start Luongo in game two, that's the more difficult game, right? What if he shuts out the Swiss and Brodeur beats Norway 8-1? I'd still like to see Brodeur get the start vs USA (assuming he doesn't look shaky vs Norway?). I'd prefer to see them play Brodeur and give Luongo a period or two here or there if they're up?

Tough call, but a nice dilemma to have i guess? Two of the best in the world on your team? Three for that matter.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest2000
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  10:43:40  Reply with Quote
Guest 4050 going on my original post even though i'll have a different guest number now. So i guess everyone i still loving brodeur after his great performance last night his fish out of water routine was legendary maybe even an oscar candidate for the most repeated douchebag moments. So lets recap his stellar effort first he gives the puck away and they almost score 10secs in the game then again he blows it and coughs it up 30secs later which leads to a goal which was the only part of the entire 42 secs that wasnt his fault as it tipped off crosby's stick then the infamous joe carter swing he must of forgot what sport he was playing and then the nice little putter shot by rafalski which brodeurs flops around again like a fish and then the back breaker on the drury goal again diving like a fish and again he misses even on the langenbrunner goal he wouldnt have stopped it even if it didnt get tipped his legs were so far a part i thought he was doing a pre game groin stretch so all four goals he was either completely at fault or partially to blame. We outshot them by a 2-1 margin and ya miller played great but that game should of been 3-1 canada even with miller standing on his head at times. As i said before let brodeur either come up big or blow hard like cujo and last night he showed were he stands. Put him up in the bleachers because if he plays another game i cant bare to watch especially as a true hockey fan and a proud canadian. I dont care if they put andre "red light" rasicoe in the damn net atleast he will stay in the damn net not try and be a figure skater like brodeur. Yes statistically he is the greatest and has proven it many times but the big 5 plus canada dont have 3rd and fourth line stragglers like in the nhl and clearly brodeur just cant compete with the offensive fire power that these top tier teams have anymore. Also can we please have somebody throw a beer at mike babcock decide on the lines and play them and stop throwing SN & CP on the ice they have been F****** brutal if i see scott niedemayer playing rover (baseball term for a player who can position themselves anywhere on the field) again im gonna brake my tv. Niedemayer Pronger and Brodeur three of the best this country has produced maybe 3 of the worst players thus far in the entire tournament. Ride the rest of the way with luongo and weber, keith, seabrook and doughty as your four go to guys and the forwards will carry them to the promise land unfortunately in life and sports there is always a passing of the guard and its time to let the kids show what they can do and let the old guys know that you appreciate everything they've done for the game and the country but keep them off the ice cuz there blowing it. They've had their moment and now against sub par teams like the Swiss and US (yes i said it the americans are talented but still subpar - they are good but will still get steam rolled by the swedes fins russians and canada if we dont have the fish in net) they have been walked around on a continous basis and offensively which both players are known for they have been useless. Doughty looks like the veteran an these guys look like a bunch of kids against men. Maybe in a couple days someone can say im wrong but if i see brodeur play again i wont be around to find out cuz i cant bare losing to teams because your goalie cant make a big save or a save at all for that matter. GO CANADA and go home Brodeur
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  11:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, its called paragraphs. No one is going to read that gigantic block of text. Seriously edit that post if you want anyone to care about what you wrote
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 2000 I agree with most you said. But I would also add that I wasn't impressed with Boyle and Perry during the tournament so far.

And like you I hope Roberto Luongo will get the call tomorrow, and I never really agreed with the presence of Niedermayer, he's having an off year big time. Pronger and Boyle are doing turnovers over and over again. And Perry is costing big time, not skating, no second or third effort.

Really we outplay the other teams by skills but they outplay us big time with will and hard work.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Wow, its called paragraphs. No one is going to read that gigantic block of text. Seriously edit that post if you want anyone to care about what you wrote

My thoughts exactly, i know i didn't bother reading it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2559
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:20:20  Reply with Quote
I read it huge and I must say I agree!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2000
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:47:38  Reply with Quote
I'm writing a response to a question not a formal essay for my Prof.
Know one forces you to read the post.

Brodeur has been ineffective in big games for the last 5 years but yet our ignorance of his past still leads us to believe he has the capability to rise to the occasion. Canada doesn't play a trap so brodeurs pitiful rebound control is exploited and his stand up game doesn't work against teams who have the caliber of players that the other top 5 teams and it obviously doesn't work against Switzerland either. 6 goals on under 40 shots against two teams who wont finish in the top 4 doesn't cut it in any league. Bench his ass just like they gladly did cujo in 02 and cut all this o but look at what he has done over his career BS out.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2000
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:53:12  Reply with Quote
I hope my last response wasn't to strenuous for those of you who could not take the time to read two mins of text that was not in correct format. Please let me know if you require references and a bibliography because i would hate to do anything that would make your lives more complex then sitting in front of a tv. I gotta get back to my lecture have a good one folks.

Go Canada and Go Home Brodeur
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:55:56  Reply with Quote
put marty up in the press box with carter, let fleury have a chance to sit on the bench at least with the rest of the team and ride lou all the way to the gold!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't take it the wrong way, it's just that if you want everyone to hear (read) what you have to say, just break it up a little & a lot more people will end up doing just that. That is all.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fleury was on the bench for the game against the Swiss which Luongo started.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  17:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Fleury was on the bench for the game against the Swiss which Luongo started.

I think you meant, Brodeur started?

Anyway, guest 2000, no need to get upset. Truth is, i read the first 4 lines of your original post and it gave me a headache. Mix a period in there every now and then? It's all about being readable. No, we don't need a bibliography, but dude, seriously, go back and try reading that yourself, it's tragic! Off to get some tylenol.....
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  19:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Brodeur sorry.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  19:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lines for tomorrows game....

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Thornton - Heatley
Morrow - Toews - Richards
Bergeron

Roberto Luongo in goal
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  21:49:26  Reply with Quote
Ryan93, why are you breaking up Nash and Crosby???? I go with 3 lines against the Russians, on a consistant basis. The fourth line of Perry, Iginla and Bergeron, get limited duties, Iggie would get some PP time if he shows he's fit( I think hes hurt) Line 1 is Crosby, Nash and Richards, 2 is the Sharks, and the 3rd is Staal, Toews and Getzlaf and through Morrow in where ever, the pressure is on, now Loungo shines and Fleury is the backup, and Brodeur is on a plane sleeping, or on the US bench, trying to figure if he can carry Miller's equipment, lol, doubt he can even do that
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page