Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canada V.S. Quebec Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  12:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If Quebec were to get seperated from Canada, if the Bloc Quebecois won the federal election, who, using retired players too (so lemieux, gretzky and whoever else is in this too), would win, Quebec or Canada?

GO PREDATORS GO

Choices:

Quebec
Rest of Canada
Tie

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 11/30/2007 13:44:54

Guest9761
( )

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  13:40:56  Reply with Quote
I say Quebec wins!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  15:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rest of Canada would take it. Quebec produce a lot of talented players, but, a lot of their most talented seem to be goaltenders. :)

I'd give it to team Canada over Team Quebec. Quebec in Goaltending, Canada in offense and defense.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  15:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, if you had Team Ontario VS Team Quebec (NHL Players only,) we may have a battle here. :)

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  18:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is true, Irvine. The head coach for Quebec would be taking 10 advils trying to pick between dozens of eligible goalies... How can they win?

All kidding aside, goalies and a couple of legendary Habs are Quebec's claim to fame. Other than that, Canada takes it. But, they ARE arguably the strongest province / state in hockey.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

This is true, Irvine. The head coach for Quebec would be taking 10 advils trying to pick between dozens of eligible goalies... How can they win?

All kidding aside, goalies and a couple of legendary Habs are Quebec's claim to fame. Other than that, Canada takes it. But, they ARE arguably the strongest province / state in hockey.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I am saying that they don't have enough quality forwards/defense to compete with the rest of Canada. Sure, they've produce some excellent ones over the years, but, currently, not going to happen.

Not in my opinion/mind, anyways.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest2740
( )

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  05:16:52  Reply with Quote
Remember Dryden is from Ontario.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6953
( )

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  08:15:22  Reply with Quote
Could go either way. While I think Canada would be stronger "on paper", the game is played on the ice, anything can happen then... remember Switzerland winning over Canada at the last Olympics? (ouch!)

but QC could put up a decent team... Lecavalier, St. Louis, Tanguay, Briere... Boucher, Beauchemin, Bergeron at D... Luongo, Brodeur in net. and Lemieux coming out of retirement again! lol
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  08:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

A couple of legendary Habs??? How about this list of Quebecers who are in the Hall Of Fame

Martin A. (Marty) Barry
Jean Arthur Beliveau
Michael (Mike) Bossy
Emile (Butch) Bouchard
Raymond Jean Bourque
Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
Sprague Cleghorn
Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
Marcel Elphege Dionne
Charles Graham Drinkwater
Arthur F. Farrell
James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
Michel Goulet
Michael (Mike) Grant
Douglas Norman Harvey
Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
Ernest (Moose) Johnson
Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
David Michael Keon
Guy Damien Lafleur
Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
Guy Gerard Lapointe
Jacques Gerard Lemaire
Mario Lemieux
Percy LeSueur
Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
Sylvio Mantha
John C. (Jack) Marshall
Richard Winston (d***ie) Moore
Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
Herbert William (Buddy) O'Connor
Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
Lester Patrick
Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
Pierre Paul Pilote
Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
Marcel Pronovost
Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
Patrick Roy
Blair Russel
Ernest (Ernie) Russell
Denis Savard
Serge Aubrey Savard
Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
Georges Vezina
Lorne John (Gump) Worsley

Those aren't just "some" good players, those are some of the best ever. Not even taking into consideration today's NHLer's, I would put a team made up of these players against any team from any Country from any time period and do a lot better than just compete.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty tough call.
But for those saying Quebec doesn't really have a chance, I say you're deluded.
Peruse Beans list of HOF'ers. Pretty incredible really.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  14:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My team - rouch copy

Wayne Gretzky*
Gordie Howe*
Bobby Hull

Bobby Orr*
Red Kelly*

Terry Sawchuk*

*The waiting period was waived for ten players deemed exceptionally notable. Five of these are eligible for team Canada minus Quebec.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  16:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, no arguement? Here is what I would put up for teams for Quebec and the rest of Canada. This is based off of 2007/08 stats and by position and place of birth listed on NHL.com. 2 goalies, 6 defensemen, and 4 each of Left Wing, Right Wing and Centre. Don't come back asking where Heatley is. He was born in Germany.

Team Quebec

Goaltenders

R. Luongo
M. Brodeur

Defensive Pairings

F. Beauchemin - M.A. Bergeron
P. Boucher - P. Brisbois
S. Robidas - M.E. Vlasic

Forward Lines

S. Gagne - V. Lecavalier - M. St. Louis
A. Tanguay - D. Briere - J.P Dumont
A. Vermette - P. Stastny - J. Pominville
M. Gelinas - P.M. Bouchard - M. Oullett

Team Canada

Goaltenders

C. Ward
C. Osgood

Defensive Pairings

C. Pronger - B. Campbell
P. Ranger - D. Phaneuf
E. Jovanovski - W. Redden

Forward Lines

R. Nash - S. Crosby - J. Iginla
R. Smyth - J. Thornton - B. Shanahan
C. Stillman - R. Getzlaf - B. Boyes
R. Whitney - M. Savard - S. Doan

I didn't intend this to be a debate about who should be on the team and who shouldn't. I just wanted to make the point that I think the teams are more evenly matched than one might think. Goaltending edge definately goes to Quebec and the defensemen from Quebec are weaker than the rest of Canada. There are only 8 listed defensemen from Quebec in the league. The forward line ups, pretty close.

At the least, I would think that in a 7 game series, it would be 4-2 or 4-3. It would not be a blow out by any means.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 12/11/2007 16:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  07:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
being a anglo quebecer i dont know who i'd go for in this hypathetical situatuion!!!! hhaha but one thing you notice about the Quebec team and it is a huge flaw,,, im just useing the team beans put together for arguments sake,,, but look at the team,,, quebec has one fatal flaw in its minor hockey that translates into the style of player they provide for the nhl and its the big reason there are only 8 listed D men,,,,,, quebec does not start contact in minor hockey untill a much later age then the rest of Canada,,, and even when they do its only in AA and BB & AAA a player who develops late and does not make double letter squads untill say age 15, 16 ,,, which happens has never seen contact before,,,, therefore quebec produce a lot of finess type playes aka st louis danny brierre ,, simon gagne,,, hence the lack of d men because generally d men have to hit hard and play a solid rough gritty game (generally) look at all the french canadiens in the league most are finess forwards with soft hands,, jsut my two cents so therefore i think quebec would have a tough ride because if i were canada i would send guys like shane doan out there and make it a physical game,,, the quebecois would have a tough time,,, with vinny being an exception

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page