Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Your Christmas Present from the NHL Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  09:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Since it's Christmas, for your Christmas present what's the number one thing that you want the NHL to change?

Choices:

Instigator rule
Puck over glass penalty
Less Sidney Crosby media
Less Leaf games on the CBC
Fire biased commentators
smaller goalie equipment
Other(Say what)

Edited by - PainTrain on 12/24/2007 09:29:51

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  10:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instigator rule for sure, it's the only thing on that list that needs to be fixed (I'm a leafs fan, you can play all the toronto games you want). It would take care of guys like Ruutu, who deserve to get crushed by fighters like Laraque, Boogaard, Belak etc.. I just think it'll show a little more justice in the NHL if it's taken away.
Happy Holidays everyone!

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  10:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Patchy. I think by taking the instigator out it would help the players police their own game because some guys are totally out of control. Examples would be Ruutu and Avery. I also believe it would make the game more exciting for the fans a lot of whom are being bored to death with this over refereed new NHL. The games more and more are turning into clone hockey with both teams playing the same systems resulting in the plethora of low scoring games that we are seeing lately. Getting rid of the instigator might put a little jazz back into some of these snorers.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  10:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with make the goalie equipment smaller. Of course the NHL won't do this partway through the season, but for next year for sure.
Bigger isn't always better.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  11:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need some more Habs games on CBC
Go to Top of Page

Guest2882
( )

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  15:45:11  Reply with Quote
the instigator rule for sure and what kind of question is that less leafs games on cbc who would you rather see habs and the sens i don't think so lol
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  18:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather see the Senators :)

First off, I am a Senators fan. Secondly, they are more exiciting than the leafs to see play. So. ;)

I'll even take Habs games over the Leafs, any day.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest7959
( )

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  18:52:08  Reply with Quote
is it the 'Toronto Maple Leafs ' ?, or the ' Toronto Make me Laugh ' I always am a lil confused about that one. Bikini wearing, 90 year old women lawn bowling on gravel would be more exciting than watching the Toronto Make Believe's play Hockey. Oh, by the way, I think Toronto sucks.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  21:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go again. I am beginning to think that regardless of the topic this site is just a whipping post for Leaf discrimination. By the way, I think those 90 year old women lawn bowling on gravel would have a lot more to offer than watching Carboneau's trapping toilet seats play all the time, and I couldn't care less if you won a hundred cups. You see, I can fire the crap right back at you but I would rather just talk hockey.

Just for instance and in all sincerity who would you rather see on the CBC telecasts? I get to watch quite a few Western games on the double header on Saturday nights so I see Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver pretty regularly. I also get to see the Habs and the Sens quite a bit as well partly because the Leafs play them eight times each a season with the currant sked. Contrary to what some of you think about the Leafs their are probably more people that would rather watch the Leafs than any other single team in Canada. The Habs I would think would be second most? Viewership sells sponsorship and that is the bottom line. I am sure they have done surveys before now and I believe that I am right about this. It would be simply foolhardy to truely believe that the vast majority would want a Montreal or Ottawa game every Saturday night because if the viewership dictated it then that is what you would get. I am sorry naysayers but the Leafs on Saturday nights from coast to coast are a Canadian tradition and unless the popularity polls show the CBC that they are wrong then I do not see a change coming anytime soon. It is nobody's fault that the Leafs are the single most popular hockey team in Canada. It just is what it is and complaining about it on this hockey sight will not change it one iota. You will not see two foreign teams playing on the CBC on regular Saturday night telecasts period. When they show two foreign teams play during the playoffs the ratings drop dramatically and when the Leafs are in the playoffs the ratings go through the roof. This is also a fact. I am as big a Leaf fan as there is and I don't really care what game is on TV in other parts of Canada as long as my team is on in this region. I am sorry for you guys but I can't do a damn thing about it. My only suggestion would be to buy the Center Ice Package and you could watch whatever game you want every night of the week!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0446
( )

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  22:29:24  Reply with Quote
anything except leafs. i hate them, well, i like toskala but thats it
Go to Top of Page

Guest9411
( )

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  00:03:14  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

It just is what it is and complaining about it on this hockey sight will not change it one iota.

I was surprised at your misuse of sight and your well implimented iota in the same sentence.
You are right though. Even as a Sens fan, I can acknowledge the fact that the Leafs have a MUCH bigger fan-base. And majority rules, especially concerning ratings.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6171
( )

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  11:25:35  Reply with Quote
Slack off on the idiotic hooking penalties.

Call them when they're justified. Nowadays, a guy steps on your stick and you get a 2 min minor for it...
Go to Top of Page

Guest8437
( )

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  13:58:03  Reply with Quote
Give me the Sens instead of the Leafs as the early game HNIC main stay.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  18:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
other stop suggesting goalie equipment is to big!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  19:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see smaller goalie equipment and maskless goaltending again. That would make for some incredibly entertaining hockey. I'd watch every single Wings game in hopes of seeing Hasek take one in the teeth.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  05:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here we go again. I am beginning to think that regardless of the topic this site is just a whipping post for Leaf discrimination. By the way, I think those 90 year old women lawn bowling on gravel would have a lot more to offer than watching Carboneau's trapping toilet seats play all the time, and I couldn't care less if you won a hundred cups. You see, I can fire the crap right back at you but I would rather just talk hockey.

Just for instance and in all sincerity who would you rather see on the CBC telecasts? I get to watch quite a few Western games on the double header on Saturday nights so I see Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver pretty regularly. I also get to see the Habs and the Sens quite a bit as well partly because the Leafs play them eight times each a season with the currant sked. Contrary to what some of you think about the Leafs their are probably more people that would rather watch the Leafs than any other single team in Canada. The Habs I would think would be second most? Viewership sells sponsorship and that is the bottom line. I am sure they have done surveys before now and I believe that I am right about this. It would be simply foolhardy to truely believe that the vast majority would want a Montreal or Ottawa game every Saturday night because if the viewership dictated it then that is what you would get. I am sorry naysayers but the Leafs on Saturday nights from coast to coast are a Canadian tradition and unless the popularity polls show the CBC that they are wrong then I do not see a change coming anytime soon. It is nobody's fault that the Leafs are the single most popular hockey team in Canada. It just is what it is and complaining about it on this hockey sight will not change it one iota. You will not see two foreign teams playing on the CBC on regular Saturday night telecasts period. When they show two foreign teams play during the playoffs the ratings drop dramatically and when the Leafs are in the playoffs the ratings go through the roof. This is also a fact. I am as big a Leaf fan as there is and I don't really care what game is on TV in other parts of Canada as long as my team is on in this region. I am sorry for you guys but I can't do a damn thing about it. My only suggestion would be to buy the Center Ice Package and you could watch whatever game you want every night of the week!!!!

You also have to take in to consideration, they bid on these. All TV stations that broadcast hockey games, bid on these games. And i'm sure the leafs come cheaper than a Crosby game, etc. The senators are shared between CBC and Rogers, and some teams are strictly CBC, etc.

When you look at it, a lot of games these days are based on Region. CBC air three games at night on Saturday night when the sens and leafs play, you just have to be in a certain area to see whatever one you see.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest2337
( )

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  06:25:45  Reply with Quote
should toronto fire there coach.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2337
( )

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  06:27:23  Reply with Quote
should toronto fire there coach.

yes

no
Go to Top of Page

Guest0962
( )

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  19:23:31  Reply with Quote
other... meaning everything but smaller goalie equipment and biased commentators. i think the goalie equipment is fine and i prefer hearing more about my team when I've got my own commentators on the game. I know the Leafs get the best ratings, but I'd like to see some more sens and/or habs games once in a while, at least in western canada. and i think there's been about as many pucks over the glass lately as there was before the penalty was inplemented. i think that rule could probly be more of a discretionary call on the ref's part. more often than not, its blatantly obvious that it was unintentional and just got a rolling puck or something like that. and like most people i've heard from (friends, media etc) the instigator rule does nothing. i think the league should try and get rid of "enforcers". they serve no purpose, other than to fight eachother. the only fighting needed in hockey is when the emotion spills over or it is a reaction to a dirty play. i think these rules could go a long way to improving the greatest game in the world
Go to Top of Page

Guest5051
( )

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:40:54  Reply with Quote
Where is the option for MORE leaf games on CBC???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  12:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with CBC is rarely do they show hockey other than Saturday nights. Why you ask?? Because they deal they have is that they are the only station that can show a game in Canada on a Saturday Period. NBC can air games in the states on a Saturday, but no other public(non Cable) station can show an NHL game on a Saturday.

And the thing with the Leafs. A bone on contention with me.

Antro, you may be right. The Leafs may have more fans than any other "Single" team in Canada. Why is it that the split of games of CBC is so bias?? There are only 2 Saturday's in the entire season that the Leafs are not on. CBC is supposed to be a public station funded by the government, yet the hockey is geared almost exclusively to Toronto. The CBC doesn't cover football the same way do they?? In essence, your arguement that the Leafs are the most Popular team proves my point. There are 33 millionish people in Canada. 11 million in Ontario. Not all are Leafs fans. Some cheer Ottawa. So why does the CBC cater nearly 100% of their coverage to 33% of the population???

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2762
( )

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  15:01:29  Reply with Quote
I don't know why the Montreal fans are downing the Leafs, they are only 2 points behind them. So if the Leafs are crap I guess the Habs are just as bad !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  19:24:02  Reply with Quote
NOOOOOOOO

we can't make smaller goalie equip thats just like making the nets bigger and that mean luongo wil quit[

and get rif of all the leaves games on hnic
more canaucks!

oh yeah and lifeban chris simon from the nhl
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  19:27:04  Reply with Quote
ONE MORE THING...
I HATE THE LEAFS
I BURNT THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS FLAG!!!!!!!!
WELL AT LEAST I WANT TO

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  20:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I change my vote. Now I want posters to these forums to at least try to proof read their posts or maybe open www.dictionary.com in a second window while they're making any posts.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0587
( )

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  20:52:09  Reply with Quote
Poor Antroman. We see your sad sack Leafs every Sat on CBC and god knows how many times on The Toronto Sports Network and Sportsnet, and yet you still whine like a cheap date.

What's discrimination, bud, is there are 5 other Canadian teams.

Maybe YOU should buy the NHL Centre Ice package because there's no way in the world the country should subsidize that piece of crap called the CBC. How about you CBC lovers donate your hard-earned cash to keep it afloat? I, for one, am getting tired of seeing my tax dollars flushed down the toilet to keep it on air.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Guest2337
( )

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  06:46:36  Reply with Quote
I went with less leaf games on the cbc because I hate leafs
Go to Top of Page

Habman
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  15:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do we need to see the Leafs so many times....CBC wake up....May I remind some who say Leafs games every Saturday night are a tradition...not so...Going back in time it was Leafs one Saturday, then Habs the next....they switched back and forth....that was the tradition...being a Habs fan I watched mostly every other week.. The CBC is so biased in favor of Toront it sucks....and TSN and Sportsnet are right there with them...I have the NHL Center Ice package but no one should have to have it to see games other than Toronto...seems to me our tax dollars from all of Canada support the CBC, so spread the programming out...
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  21:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Habman, I don't ever remember a time when they (Habs) alternated on Saturday nights with the Leafs unless they did it outside the Toronto region? As long as the Leafs get regional coverage in our area here I don't care if they show the Russian Nationals every Saturday night. As a matter of fact the less you Leaf haters see and hear about the Leafs the better off us true Leafers will be. We won't have to listen to the anti Leaf garbage you guys seem to constantly spew half as much.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  03:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antro, it goes with the territory. Popular teams are also the most hated. i.e, The New York Yankees.

And I recall, before the adoption of the HNIC double header, it was mostly TO, but they did play Edmonton vs. Calgary games as well. Actually, looking back, it was the Habs that were on every single week because of the French CBC station. I remember that clearly because rather than watching the crappy Leafs, I would shut off the sound and watch the Habs while listening to music. (Antro, face it, the Leafs were the worst team in the 80's. That's the time I am talking about.)

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  09:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Atlantic Canada is a small % of the pop but No one would watch if it were Ottawa 1/3 of the time on Sat.If it is not Mon or Tor no one is interested.

More people would rather watch Tor loose 4-2 than see an entertaining Ottawa game, therefore the CBC is giving the masses what they want.

Mon fans are the same they would rather watch Mon win by 10 goals than watch an entertaining game and they are all the french CBC channel shows, at least the english CBC shows 1/8 of something else.

Maybe you guys don't realize sponsors do pay a considerable portion of broadcast fees,so they have to put on what is a sure draw.CBC isn't quite the same(as independent) as PBS, they still use sponsorship.

With Tor they are sure of an audience for the 1st period and CC, at least,hehe.

Edited by - dummy101 on 12/29/2007 09:44:09
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  09:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Beans, Yea, the Leafs were for the most time not the best but I think they were fun to watch some times? They had Vaive potting a lot of goals and Leeman had a good year in there too. I know what it is like having to watch a team you do not particularly like. I watch the Habs quite a bit but amuse myself by rooting for the team they are playing against to win. Back in the old six team league the Habs were our most dreaded rival and most Leaf fans at least here in Southern Ontario abhor them with a passion. This of course is how I would imagine how the Leaf haters feel. I understand it completely. It sometimes poisons your viewpoint towards the team you dislike so much. I guess in some cases it is like the soccer wars in England but a little more civilized over here? Passion can play many tricks on all of us!!!! I sometimes call Ottawa the new Habs because I really do not care much for them either because of our Ontario rivalry and playoff battles. I, with all honesty wish the CBC would comply and show everybody the teams they want to watch in other parts of Canada. As long as my Leafs are on in our region they they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. I have to reiterate what I have said on this site more than once, the Leafs are sucking right now and I know it and feel it as much or more than anyone but they are my team for better or worse and win, lose or draw my steadfastness and support will never change. I would hope that most of you other guys or gals would feel the same way toward your team. I'm off to see the Strangers and Jagr tonight in Toronto. It is a rare treat for me and I'm excited of course. I hope we win but.....................................................................?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2714
( )

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  10:19:37  Reply with Quote
Being a LEAF fan, I like watching them play. Sometimes they actually win a game, which is awesome!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page