Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 The Samsonov Award Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
THe Samsanov Award is given to the player most underachieving in the NHL.

(Note, not all panelists voted on this award)

Honorable Mentions go to (# of votes): J.Staal (2), C. Ward (2), A. MacDonald (1), E. Staal (1), M. Kipprusoff (1), T. Vanek (1)

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Choices:

Sergei Samsonov (6)
Maxim Afinogenov (5)
B.Richards (5)

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/06/2008 14:25:52

Guest9969
( )

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:44:00  Reply with Quote
Thank God, the Canadiens got ride of Samsonov last year. Sad things is I actually likes how he plays the game - great stickhandler and playmaker.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  16:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Richards is slightly underachieving. I firmly believe he has more skill than he produces for. I also partially feel it has to do with being on the second line.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad Richards is performing about exactly where he should be - He'll remain a 70 point a season guy (give or take a few) for his career.

Samsonov is a wonder to me. Tremendously skilled and is capable of 60 to 80 points a year but I think his confidence is shot. The problem is I don't think he'll be given too many more chances considering his last few years and the fact he is 5'8" when he wears his rocket boots. Small guys get less chances unless their upside is massive (Fleury, St. Louis, Kariya)

I think Afinogenov is definitely underachieving. This is a significantly new looking Sabres team this year, so I think he is still trying to find his way on it.

So even though Samsonov is WAAAAAY off his pace, I have to consider that Afinogenov's career is on its way up and Samsonov's is on its way down. So for that reason I choose Maxim Afinogenov
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I recently read that Samsonov was sent down to the minors.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Guest0865
( )

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  08:04:45  Reply with Quote
Under achievers??
How about Patrick Marleau, J. CheeChoo, M. Ryder, Straka, Elias, Michal Handzus. Put them in the bum category.
Smokey.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  08:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this might be a breakout year for Weiss in Florida but he seems to be having a ho-hum season? As everyone knows already, I am not happy with mister Emery in Ottawa or Mr. Ryder in MTL. How about Vanek in Buffalo, OUCH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with Marleau even if he isn't on the list....
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samsanov shouldnt even be in this topic because he already did this last year... it shouldnt come as a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  16:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still sticking to Richards. He is not playing the worst in the NHL, or maybe even of the three. But, I do feel it's a bit surprising he is not putting up some bigger numbers. But, as mentioned, I do believe this is due to playing on the num. 2 line. :(

I have Richards in my pool, I just want him to produce more! lol

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  17:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0865

Under achievers??
How about Patrick Marleau, J. CheeChoo, M. Ryder, Straka, Elias, Michal Handzus. Put them in the bum category.
Smokey.

ya Marleau is falling down this year for sure! Cheechoo is doing precisely what he should do. I said it then and i'll say it again, that one season of Cheechoo's was a fluke. Ryder will have a brilliant career but he is still trying to build up steam so I'm not sure I'd classify him as "underachieving" yet...he's more like "going through the motions".

No comment on the other names right now, back to work!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  23:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Cheechoo should be better.

If you are playing with Thornton, a great setup guy, and you've scored over 50 goals, you should be able to average 40 a season atleast. come on. :/

But I agree, and i've also said it to my brother and father, even the season Cheechoo scored the 50+ goals. Fluke, and will never repeat it.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  23:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say the best individual setup man in Thornton, hands down.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  08:30:01  Reply with Quote
Names that come to mind:

Martin Havlat.....his reputation precedes him. By the very nature of being injured every year, relative to his ability, he has to be considered an underacheiver.

Alexander Semin - Sophomore slump? I guess so.....see "Jordan Staal"

Keith Ballard......Phoenix is lousy, which doesn't help.

Ladislav Nagy - This might be a stretch as it is somewhat perrenial. However, I think this guy has the tools to be a VERY good player.

Brad Stuart - Awful plus/minus and low output for his ability. Plus/minus is a garbage stat at times....but his play has mirrored it IMO.

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with Afinogenov. He really needed to step up for the Sabres and he hasn't been doing that. They need him going to make the playoffs and to have a good shot at the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page