Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who Will Captain Team Canada in 2010? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Only 24 months until the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Who will be the final NHL player to have the "C" emblazoned upon their chest for the men's national hockey team?

Choices:

Shane Doan
Jarome Iginla
Sydney Crosby
Joe Sakic
Joe Thornton
Daniel Briere
Eric Staal
Other (who?)

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  17:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
admiin im pretty sure sakic will be retired thats what i heard but being a big eric staal fan iwill go with staal or maybe crosy or iginla as 2nd or 3rd pick

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's gotta be Iginla. I can't think of any Canadian who shows better leadership qualities than him. Thornton may be on the list as well.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  19:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really does have to be Iginla, Croasby takes captain honours over him everywhere but on the world stage. You look at the face of Canada's hockey and who you want as captain and the passion and intensity of Iginla just slightly outweish Sid. Thornton has a case for himself as well, but he would be a tight third place..

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  19:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now that i think of it i think iggy should be the captain he has heart and great leadership im just a big staal fan and he'll be older and more experienced in 2010 so thats why i said staal, so i say iginla i guess

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/shahir29/sundin500apwm6br2.gif[/IMG]

Edited by - Leafsfan_94 on 01/30/2008 19:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  22:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also debating between Iginla and Thornton. I went with Thornton, but either would be great choices. I think Sakic will likely not be playing and Crosby (Sidney not Sydney) wont be ready for the C by 2010. Maybe next time if he gets a chance.

Phaneuf pher Norris
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  22:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

It really does have to be Iginla, Croasby takes captain honours over him everywhere but on the world stage. You look at the face of Canada's hockey and who you want as captain and the passion and intensity of Iginla just slightly outweish Sid. Thornton has a case for himself as well, but he would be a tight third place..

I said Iginla also, but not because he is a better face or more intense. I watch Sid night in and night out and I can't think of any player that plays every game with his intensity level on every shift. An it's not about the face of Canadian hockey either. Regardless of who is captain, Crosby will be on every promo and in every headline. It's because Iginla is 10 years older and I feel that on an international stage, it is important to have an older captain. Just think of the US team in Nagano and that debauchery. If Chris Chelios had not stepped up in the way, the whole situation could have turned out much worse for everyone involve
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  01:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is a gurantee barring injury it will be iginla or sakic ,, sakic said he is sticking around cuz he wants to be at the 2010 games,,,,, i want to see him there and i want to see him were the c,,, if not him iginla or shane doan,,, we always forget about mr doan but if he played for a different team he'd have a much larger trophy case and his name would come up a lot more.,,,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  06:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What makes you think that Sakic will have a spot on a team of this caliber 2 years down the road. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and mean no disrespect, but even if he's still playing will he still be playing at an elite "Team Canada" level?
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  06:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Ryan Smyth? Who better than Captain Canada?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  06:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Smyth? What does everyone see in Ryan Smyth that I fail to see?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work Ethic,leadership,grit,skill and just a good guy. It's Jarome Iginla. He will captain the team in 2010 and bring us a Gold Medal.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

What makes you think that Sakic will have a spot on a team of this caliber 2 years down the road. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and mean no disrespect, but even if he's still playing will he still be playing at an elite "Team Canada" level?

i admitt two years is still 2 years and that he is hurt now,,, but he did finish with more points then all but three canadian players last year he hasn't slown down yet....

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest9655
( )

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:30:41  Reply with Quote
Why is Lecavalier not on this list!
HE will be the 'C'.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Ryan Smyth? What does everyone see in Ryan Smyth that I fail to see?

Just an overall passion for the game. The guy repeatedly puts his body on the line for his team.

Beyond that he's got the experience of wearing the "C" on the world stage.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  07:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Sakic sticks around till then, then he's a shoe-in. If anyone thinks otherwise, you ought to have your head examined....If Super Joe is gone by then, then Iginla is probably the next one in line. But I think that Lecavalier also should be considered, given his level of play. No disrespect to Iggy, but on the international ice surface he seems to disappear. However, Vincent seems to make a bigger impact. But I wouldn't be upset if Iggy were chosen.

As for Ryan Smyth....Why? He has no talent. Given, that he has a lot of heart, but it ends there. The international play requires more skill than heart, due to the size of the rinks. We need more speed and skill. Not just someone who skates at 2 mph and likes to park his butt in front of the net.

Joe Thornton? Sorry, but he's just way too slow on the international ice surface. I feel that he excels in north american hockey because the surface is smaller and makes it easier for him to get around. But put him on the big surface and he has trouble keeping up with all of the other faster guys....I would get rid of all the big lumbering guys from the team altogether. This includes Pronger. He is a totally useless defense man. He can never catch guys cause they are able to simply step around him. He's got a big shot, but then again, who cares. So do so many other players....

Shane Doan? Sorry, but I just don't see him being better than anyone else on team Canada...

Crosby? Sorry, but he doesn't have ANY experience on the mens olympic team. And for him to be leading an elite team just doesn't sit well with me...

Edited by - SuperSakic on 01/31/2008 07:52:09
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  08:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you under estimate Joe Thorton and Iginla. They're two world class athletes. International ice surfaces might be bigger, but they aren't so much bigger that they are no longer two of the very best players on the ice at any given time. I'd be interested who the fastest skater of Sakic, Iginla, Thornton and Lecavlier is. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that it isn't Sakic.

To say that Pronger has no spot on the team is also one of the craziest things I've ever heard. He's a useless defenseman? You need to take your head out of your ass. I'm to worked up to even properly argue this right now, I'm going to have to sleep it off and come back swinging tomorrow. I think you just blew my mind.

I also feel that even if Sakic is on the team we'll see a changing of the guard. I would not be suprised in the least to see Crosby get the "C". He'll have 4 years experiance as the Pens captain by this time, 5 years experiance in the league and X amount of play off experiance. Why not give him a chance to take the lead with the support of Iginla, Pronger, Lecavlier, Thornton and possibly Sakic.

etc, etc, etc....I'm still reeling from the Pronger thing....
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

If Sakic sticks around till then, then he's a shoe-in. If anyone thinks otherwise, you ought to have your head examined....If Super Joe is gone by then, then Iginla is probably the next one in line. But I think that Lecavalier also should be considered, given his level of play. No disrespect to Iggy, but on the international ice surface he seems to disappear. However, Vincent seems to make a bigger impact. But I wouldn't be upset if Iggy were chosen.

As for Ryan Smyth....Why? He has no talent. Given, that he has a lot of heart, but it ends there. The international play requires more skill than heart, due to the size of the rinks. We need more speed and skill. Not just someone who skates at 2 mph and likes to park his butt in front of the net.

Joe Thornton? Sorry, but he's just way too slow on the international ice surface. I feel that he excels in north american hockey because the surface is smaller and makes it easier for him to get around. But put him on the big surface and he has trouble keeping up with all of the other faster guys....I would get rid of all the big lumbering guys from the team altogether. This includes Pronger. He is a totally useless defense man. He can never catch guys cause they are able to simply step around him. He's got a big shot, but then again, who cares. So do so many other players....

Shane Doan? Sorry, but I just don't see him being better than anyone else on team Canada...

Crosby? Sorry, but he doesn't have ANY experience on the mens olympic team. And for him to be leading an elite team just doesn't sit well with me...

Wow, you’re just completely taking everything away from these players.

Firstly, let me remind you of the 2002 men’s hockey team which won the gold. These games were also played on an Olympic sized ice surface.

Forwards

Theo Fleury, Simon Gagne, Jarome Iginla, Paul Kariya, Mario Lemiuex, Eric Lindros, Joe Nieuwendyk, Owen Nolan, Michael Peca, Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanahan, Ryan Smyth, Steve Yzerman

Defence

Rob Blake, Eric Brewer, Adam Foote, Ed Jovanovski, Al MacInnis, Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger

Goalies

Martin Brodeur, Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour

Take a look a defence. How many of those players are fast skaters? I’s day only two of them, in Blake and Neidermayer. It takes more than just speed to be a good defenceman, it takes skill and talent, which Pronger has. You absolutely cannot leave him off the 2010 team (unless his performance takes a dive within the next couple of years).

Do you honestly think that a guy like Smyth won’t be on the team? He plays the type of game which Canada, or any team for that matter needs. Someone to screen the goalie while guys like Pronger and Phaneuf take point shots. If he doesn’t go, who’s going to take his place infront of the net? Bertuzzi?

As for the captain, it could be one of a number of guys, Crosby can’t be ruled out, but Gretzky has a history of giving it to a more experienced guy, which is why I think if it’s not Smyth, it’ll be Iginla.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

just check some of these guys olympic stats before we have to read through this,,, i want the 30 seconds of my life back that you just stole

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Vancouver 2010 hockey will be played on the NHL ice surface...

I am not sure if Sakic will stick around long enough to be on the Olympic squad. But if he is still playing well at that time then I would select him as captain...

If Sakic is not there then the next best leader is Iginla...

Champions take chances, and pressure is a privilege.
Billy Jean King to Maria Sharapova

http://www.maldesigns.ca/top50since1967.htm

Go to Top of Page

Guest4476
( )

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:52:03  Reply with Quote
VINNY LECAVALIER!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST ALL ROUND PLAYER IN THE NHL PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  14:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 24 months until the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Who will be the final NHL player to have the "C" emblazoned upon their chest for the men's national hockey team?

Admin im just wondering why you say "Final" NHL player to wear the "C" for team Canada? Are they no longer allowing NHL players to play in the Olympics after 2010?
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  14:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

Admin im just wondering why you say "Final" NHL player to wear the "C" for team Canada? Are they no longer allowing NHL players to play in the Olympics after 2010?

The NHL is contemplating not sending their players to the Olympics beyond 2010.

The reason is because the Olympics usually occur during the season, and besides the interuption, the players get fatigued when they are held anywhere but North America.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  17:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only have 8 spaces for poll selections. I admit that Lecavalier, Pronger and Smyth are all excellent candidates.

Yes, the NHL is debating sending future teams and I believe the Olympic Committee is debating pulling the plug on pros too. We'll have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  19:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the NHL should excersive the reserved right to bar players from attending the olympics and representing their countries than in effect the NHL is failing to serve its purpose and is letting down a vast majority of its fan base.

The NHL, as any professional sports league, is generally founded on the principles of organizing the elite of the game to be collected and displayed in a central organization. This aims to serve the purpose of producing the best possible quality of game that the world more or less has to offer.

Their success solely lies in the hands of the talent they display, the way they hone it, and the ways in which the players compete. Their fan base is lured by and drawn to the opportunity of seeing good players together.

Should the NHL deny the citizens of the greatest fanbase it has of the most basic right of watching homegrown talent compete for national pride, the National Hockey League will be making a mistake. A grave mistake.

Let us learn from history and its great leaders:

'One did not try to save the stables when the house was on fire'

Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  21:13:18  Reply with Quote
quote:

If Sakic sticks around till then, then he's a shoe-in. If anyone thinks otherwise, you ought to have your head examined....If Super Joe is gone by then, then Iginla is probably the next one in line. But I think that Lecavalier also should be considered, given his level of play. No disrespect to Iggy, but on he international ice surface he seems to disappear. However, Vincent seems to make a bigger impact. But I wouldn't be upset if Iggy were chosen.

Iggy dissapears? What are you watching the summer Olympics, I think Igg yis the one of the best international forwards for Canada, he always seems to show up even when the does s*** all.

Firsrt of all this isn't speed racing, speed matters but strength matters more, and Thronton excels in that category. This guy is one of the hardest guys tro knock off the puck watch him in a game he can hold onto the puck for a minute fighting off the D and they can't get there sticks around his big frame and not to mention this guy is the best playmaker in the NHL (IMO)

Pronger not on the International team? Boy before you tell me to get my head examined go get a brain transplant to someone who knows this guy is an elite defenseman. First of all he is one of the best outlet passers in the game and can set people up for a break with his first pass. And although he's slow it's not like he can barely skate and that every other guy in the tournament is the fastest skater. Yes people can skate by him but not with ease, he does get beat, show me someone who doesn't. But also look at his reach it;'s gotta be liek 6 ft. hard to stickhandle past that.

Back to the question.... Iggy no doubt in my mind, this guys playing some amazing hockey right now and is one of the best leaders in the game today.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  23:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the NHL should excersive the reserved right to bar players from attending the olympics and representing their countries than in effect the NHL is failing to serve its purpose and is letting down a vast majority of its fan base.

The NHL, as any professional sports league, is generally founded on the principles of organizing the elite of the game to be collected and displayed in a central organization. This aims to serve the purpose of producing the best possible quality of game that the world more or less has to offer.

Their success solely lies in the hands of the talent they display, the way they hone it, and the ways in which the players compete. Their fan base is lured by and drawn to the opportunity of seeing good players together.

Should the NHL deny the citizens of the greatest fanbase it has of the most basic right of watching homegrown talent compete for national pride, the National Hockey League will be making a mistake. A grave mistake.

Let us learn from history and its great leaders:

'One did not try to save the stables when the house was on fire'

Put down the cod damned thesaurus and stop talking like you're in the house of commons. The NHL has every right to keep their players from playing in the Olympics for exactly the reasons you mentioned (although, I'm not %100 sure what exactly you were trying to say with your dressed up rant). Why should the NHL risk losing marquee players in an event they see no revenue from? What would the reprecussions of Crosby breaking his leg in Olympic competition be? (that's a rhetorical question, please don't humor me with the answer) As much as I love watching the best hockey players in the world competing on the biggest stage in the world, it makes perfect sense not to allow them to participate.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  04:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What they are basically doing is saying

'OUR little North American market in which nobody really cares other than Canada can not afford to lose its top players for a month and risk their injury'

Let me tell you something Gary Bettman

First of all, you are being too conceited to take in to consideration that by trying to retain and really hog his little market when in fact they are probably the ones who would most strongly advocate letting the players make the trip.

This is in my mind really and issue of ethics. The whole world should not be waiting to hear from one selfish individual. The hockey world should not be sabotaged by the agenda of one individual.

The players are Canadian first and NHLers second. Canada's legacy will NOT be shattered by one person.

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  05:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell are you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Greg Smith
Rookie

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  07:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, Alex, you kind of confused me there.

(I'm back again guys)

I just want to throw a name in there, a canadian with great leadership, a guy who captained the canadian junior team, Mike Richards.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  10:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8815

quote:

If Sakic sticks around till then, then he's a shoe-in. If anyone thinks otherwise, you ought to have your head examined....If Super Joe is gone by then, then Iginla is probably the next one in line. But I think that Lecavalier also should be considered, given his level of play. No disrespect to Iggy, but on he international ice surface he seems to disappear. However, Vincent seems to make a bigger impact. But I wouldn't be upset if Iggy were chosen.

Iggy dissapears? What are you watching the summer Olympics, I think Igg yis the one of the best international forwards for Canada, he always seems to show up even when the does s*** all.

Firsrt of all this isn't speed racing, speed matters but strength matters more, and Thronton excels in that category. This guy is one of the hardest guys tro knock off the puck watch him in a game he can hold onto the puck for a minute fighting off the D and they can't get there sticks around his big frame and not to mention this guy is the best playmaker in the NHL (IMO)

Pronger not on the International team? Boy before you tell me to get my head examined go get a brain transplant to someone who knows this guy is an elite defenseman. First of all he is one of the best outlet passers in the game and can set people up for a break with his first pass. And although he's slow it's not like he can barely skate and that every other guy in the tournament is the fastest skater. Yes people can skate by him but not with ease, he does get beat, show me someone who doesn't. But also look at his reach it;'s gotta be liek 6 ft. hard to stickhandle past that.

Back to the question.... Iggy no doubt in my mind, this guys playing some amazing hockey right now and is one of the best leaders in the game today.

Amen brotha!! not to mention thorton isn't all that slow,,, he appears slow becuase he purposly slows the game down,,,, its part of what makes him so good he slows everything down to take the time he needs to set up a play.... some players blow by a defender thorton works em into a corner then dish to his winger for the goal.... thorton can skate

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I knew I was going to ruffle a few feathers with my comments, but I didn't know it was going to hit some people this strongly!....Oh well.

That's right Guest8815, Pronger is a slow-ass slug. You are right. He does have a 6ft reach. But that's only good for the smaller ice surface. And he uses that to elbow, punch, and push people. He's just a big goon with a hard shot. And YES, people do skate by him with ease. And yes, everyone gets beat now and then. But from ACTUALLY WATCHING the olympics ('98 and '02) I saw that everytime he tried to stop someone from going by him, he couldn't! Sorry dude, but you haven't convinced me of Pronger with your little rant.

Let's look at some of his stats shall we?

Olympics
Year, GP, G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, Shots, Sh%
2005-06, 6, 1, 2, 3, 0, 16, 0, 0.00
2001-02, 6, 0, 1, 1, +2, 2, 9, 0.00
1997-98, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0.00

Yeah, by that I can see that he's REAL impressive....In '98 all he managed to do is rack up some penalty minutes.

I think you are allowing his NHL performance to cloud your judgement. Look at what he's done in past olympics and decide if you would have him on the team still.....That is what I did, and that is what I am basing my opinion of his quality of play (in the olympics) on....

Edited by - SuperSakic on 02/01/2008 11:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  12:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another issue that plays itself out is the chemistry issue and of course, the performance on international stage.

As an example: Rick Nash is sensational but let us face it, in his entire NHL career he has never played in a need-to-win situation. Not at all saying he does nto deserve to be out there, but I AM saying that you just don't throw the top 20 or so indivduals out there and tell them a couple weeks before, 'go win us a medal'.

We all saw how much of a disaster the 06 Olympics were. If you heard Don Cherry he said 'why the hell is Spezza not there? He plays sensational with Heatley, and he has played in pressure more than enough times in his young career'.

Another person in this forum brought up J.S. Giguere -- 100 percent! As of late he definitely has had some solid D-men in front of him, but his career numbers are great with or without them.

You really have to carefully pick and choose your team smartly, it is not a matter of going down the NHL stats list and picking the top whatever amount of players.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  06:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, we can all agree that the /06 team was a bust. But realistically speaking, who'd pick Giguere over Brodeur or Luongo?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  17:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows how much Marty will deteriorate / J.S. will improve by then? I think J.S. has good chances of taking one of the spots.

The other thing to look at is the development of Price and Pogge, both of whom have promising futures ahead of them. However, experience plays a big role in it all and I do not know if either of the two can sneak in to either first or second in Canada as viewed by the guys who pick the roster by 2010.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  10:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK fellers, a friendly reminder from Beans.

THE 2010 OLYMPIC ICE HOCKEY TOURNAMENT WILL BE PLAYED ON A NORTH AMERICAN SIZED ICE SURFACE.

Here's the link:

http://www.2010commercecentre.com/news.aspx?articleID=88

So all this slow, fast, blah blah crap is meaningless. Pronger is one of the top 3 defensemen in the league, has been for years, and had another 4-6 solid years left. It would be an embarassment to not have him on the team. He will more than likely be an assistant Captain.

May I ask, who would you put on the team in Proger's place??

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/03/2008 10:56:40
Go to Top of Page

Guest4490
( )

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  12:34:59  Reply with Quote
super sakic you blow me away
Im not a big pronger fan but rewatch those tapes from 2002 and your arguements showing his stats.
Are you kiddidding 3 pts in 6 games plus 0 is is worst plus minus who blew by him?
and did you read your post who was mvp gold medal game 2002
ps thks everyone else for ripping him and i agree with alex the nhl is still mainly cdn players and they are or should be cdn 1st > NHL only says this crap to get concessions from the players
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  17:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

Alex, we can all agree that the /06 team was a bust. But realistically speaking, who'd pick Giguere over Brodeur or Luongo?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

luongo no brodeur in a second j.s is a great goalie and brodeur is in the decline j.s will be in his prime for another 4 to 5 years

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  07:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

May I ask, who would you put on the team in Proger's place??

I would put in Dan Boyle. I know his +/- isn't the best, but we're not talking about his play on Tampa. I believe he would give the team better chemistry than Pronger.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  07:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yo Guest
Thank you for your support, firstly.

Secondly, while almost the entire forum does not agree with S.S. no one here is trying to rip him. Obviously his logic was slightly faulty, but we all slip up. He might have a point that we are all missing, or he might not have meant exactly what he said. Not the end of the world.

Thankyou Alex for your support. However, I don't believe my logic is faulty. I presented my facts and opinions to backup my claim. But it's people such as Guest4490, who are overly emotional about certain players and feel like they have been attacked personally. You have pretty much said in a previous post about what I was trying to say. In that don't just look at who the top guy is and throw him on the team. Team chemistry should come first. Who works best with whom.....But Guest4490, I don't know who you think the MVP of 2002 was, but it was the guy who's name is on my handle...

And if you must know, I seriously dislike Pronger. I think that he's a big, dirty goon, who takes cheap shots whenever he gets the chance. But, I also dislike crosby. But I am not stupid enough that I would leave crosby out of the lineup. Pronger on the other hand hasn't shown me that he's the "cream of the crop" type of player when playing in international hockey. He disappears when he has a team of superstars to play against....I will be dancing this same jig when the olympics comes around

Beans has probably made my whole point moot anyway, as the olympics will be played on the NA ice surface.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  11:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can agree with the fact that you don't like Pronger, but I can't understand why you wouldn't have him on the team.

Seriously, is he not one of the top 3 defensemen in the league?? Look at it logically and the only guys you could possibly put ahead of Pronger today are Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and an outsider on Zubov.

Dislike him, but discredit him?? I can't see it. He has been on every international team since he was ond enough. He's always among the top 5 defensemen in goals, assists, points, and time on ice. He might be the best defensive PP quarterback in the league and there are few players that can send the break out pass blueline to blueline better.

If you can move past your dislike for him for a second and see what he brings on the ice, I think you might change your mind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page